• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ready to Declutter Your Space and Mind?

In summary, to be organized, you need to make a monumental effort to rearrange your stuff, your priorities, and most importantly, your habits. Steps include: organizing your space, observing how you use your things and working out how to use your space efficiently, having a spot for all bills, putting it back right now, and always putting your keys in the same place, to do lists for each day, week, and month.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
I got this off of my google homepage today! Thanks GOOGLE!!!:D
I thought this would be great for ALL of us!:D Please forgive me if i'm wrong!!;)

How to Be Organized
If disorganization is congesting your life and you're feeling scattered and frustrated as a result, then it's time to get organized. But before you can be organized, you need to make a monumental effort to rearrange your stuff, your priorities, and most importantly, your habits.

Steps
All in a row...Organize your space. Whether it's your home, kitchen, office, computer, closet, desk, or locker, you need to see what's in there, throw away what you don't often use (or put it efficiently in storage) and give everything else a convenient and clearly designated space.

Observe how you use your things and work out how to use your space efficiently. If it's inconvenient to get to things (or to put them away), your organization system is more likely to fail. Make it easy to get to and put away the things you need most often.
Do you have items in your house that just take up space? Be sure to de-clutter regularly. Good questions to ask yourself in deciding: Do I need this? Will I need this in a year? Do I really love it? Is there someone else who could use this more? Do I have more than I could reasonably use in foreseeable future?
Know what "organized" looks and feels like. Organized spaces are simple to use. They have enough room for the items there. It makes sense. Every item in your home has a location. Organized spaces also feel calm, open, and welcoming.
Use timers. Set a timer for how long you think a cleaning organizing task should take then work like crazy to get it done in the allotted time.
Have a spot for all bills. Open all mail immediately and dispose of the outer envelope with the junk mail. Keep only the bill in a prominent location.
Put it back. Right now. Once you establish where everything belongs, you need to get in the habit of putting it back there as soon as you're finished using it. Don't put it on the kitchen table or on the couch and move onto something else, thinking to yourself that you'll put it away later. That's a big no-no.
Always put your keys in the same place.
Always put your cell phone in the same place. Have a cell phone charging station set up.
Use a calendar. Get a calendar and put it in a place where you see it every day, preferably in the morning. For most people, that's on the refrigerator, on their desk, or even on their desktop. Wherever you put it, make it part of your routine to refer to it every day. For example, you can put it on the inside of the bathroom cabinet where you get your toothpaste. Every morning, while you're brushing your teeth with one hand, touch today's date on the calendar with the other, and look to see what's marked for today and for the upcoming week.
Use a planner. A planner is especially useful if you have a lot of appointments and your days are so varied that you have trouble keeping track of your schedule. For example, if you travel a lot or attend classes at various times of day, it's much easier to carry a planner with you to consult frequently--you can't do that with a calendar. You can also usually fit more information in a planner.
Combine similar activities. Make all your phone calls at one time. Do all your errands at the same time. Pay all your bills at the same time. Do all shopping in one trip.
Write it down! Anything and everything you need to remember should be written down. Even if your memory is great, nobody's perfect and it doesn't hurt to put it on paper, just in case. Record phone numbers, appointments, birthdays, shopping lists, and things to do.
Make to-do lists.
Make a to-do list for your day. Your list should never be more than 5 items long, or else you're taking on too much and setting yourself up for failure. Mark one or two of those items as things you absolutely must get done that day, and pursue those tasks relentlessly until you get them done.
Make a to-do list for the week. Appropriate items here would be: Grocery shopping, fix air conditioner, etc. Draw from this list to make your daily to-do list.
Make a to-do list for the month. This list would have more general tasks like: Birthday gift to Jill, get car serviced, dentist appointment. Draw from this list to make your weekly to-do list.
Make a to-do list for your life. Drastic, yes, but why not use this time to rethink your life and where it's going? Getting organized is all about priorities, and it never hurts to get your ducks in a row.
Delegate responsibilities. Make sure the person you appoint to do the task has all the tools necessary to do the task. It's hard to be organized if you insist on doing everything yourself.
Multi-task. Organize a drawer while talking on the phone. Fold towels while watching television. Listen to books on tape while driving, etc.
Follow through. There's no point in making a to-do list if you don't discipline yourself to complete the tasks you've assigned yourself. There are many ways to stick to your to-do list. Stop procrastinating, remove or ignore distractions, and hop to it!

Tips
It's a good idea to carry a notepad and pen with you at all times so you can write things down as they come to you (which is usually at the most irrelevant times--that's why it's so promptly forgotten). Of course, if your planner is compact enough, it can serve this purpose as well. Another idea would be to have a PDA, Blackberry or palm Pilot. Some cell phones have notification or note-taking menus. If you are using one of those, they may be practical too. As a last resort, call your own phone number and leave yourself a voice mail.
When running errands, map out the best path so you get the most done and keep chit chat to a minimum. Don’t get side tracked. Target what you need to do. If something else comes to your mind, write it in your notebook to do at a later date.
Post-it notes are your friend. Put them in nifty spots as reminders. For example, if you know you need to wash your car, then put a post-it note on your steering wheel so that next time you get in your car, you remember to get it done. Other good spots for post-it notes are doorknobs, mirrors, and PC monitors (the borders, not the actual screen).
Start your phone conversations with "I only have ---- minutes to talk." Then stick with it. When calling for appointments, make sure you have all information you will need and write down any questions in advance.

Warnings
Don't expect to get organized overnight.
Don't expect your family and friends to instantly jump on the organization bandwagon. Expect some resistance. But stick with it. In the long run, you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
How to organize your desk!How to Organize Your Desk
When the time comes when you no longer can see the top of the desk, because of all the clutter covering it, it is time to organize and clean the desk. A neat desk is always easy to work on, and find things easily.
Steps
Start with a clean slate. Move everything off the top and place it on the floor or table next to you. Throw out those things that are not needed, like old papers, or torn scraps of paper, or even an outdated picture.
Prioritize Decide which are your most important and most-used items. Items such as pencils, pens, scissors, important documents, and even hand lotion. Place these in a drawer that is within easy access (or, in the case of pens and pencils, in a cup).
Larger items These are those that are used often such as a telephone, books, a special picture, tissue box, and a daily calendar. Remember to make room for your laptop .
Smaller items Things such as pictures, CD's, notebooks, and folders. Place these around your desk where you want them. But once again, do it neatly.
Little items Make this the last part of organizing. These are the little things, like a stapler, pencil and pen holder. paper clips, and address books or a small file that are constantly being used, and are extremely necessary.
Papers Place loose papers in a desk box, one on top of the other. Mark them 'in and out', so to know which have to be worked on, and which are finished.

Tips
A desk should be uncluttered, so it can be used easily and comfortably. Throw away trash and empty envelopes as soon as you find them.
Things needed more often, can be placed in a drawer instead of being left on top.
The less things placed as adornments on top of the desk, the neater and cleaner the desk top.
Develop a filing system so you know where to put things like receipts, and so you can find things easily without disturbing everything else.

Warnings
After moving things around, placing into drawers, you may forget where you put things. Make a notation on a notepad where things have been moved to.

How to Clean Up Your Desk
A messy work area can undermine your productivity. Here are a few simple steps to stay ahead of the clutter.

Steps
Stack the knickknacks and pile up the papers until you actually see your desk's top.
Line up books and binders to establish a perimeter for your work area. Keep all extraneous items away from your keyboard and mouse.
Hit the Container Store. Magazine holders help isolate clutter. Folder organizers keep lower-priority projects from usurping valuable real estate. A document tray provides a target for paperwork that coworkers might otherwise toss onto your desk.
Set aside a few minutes daily to clear your desk. If you have to, make it a standing appointment in your calendar.

Thanks Kristi. Good ideas.

Would it be a bad thing if I printed this out and put it on top of the leaning tower of papers on my desk?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! I said the same thing to myself!! Hmm, where am I going to hang this!:D Great tips though!!!

They really are great tips. Actually, I'm organized. (Organized means I can find what I need pretty much the moment I need it.) I'm just not neat. That's what I'm working toward.

I think I printed that out a few months ago and it is in a pile on the floor on the left hand side of my desk!!! :D
Did anyone see CBS This Morning with Charles Osgood this past Sunday? Their last segment was on messy desks. There is an author that has a book out saying that for some people, messy is better for them. They are usually people that can find things easily in their piles (this is me!!). All of the CBS people's desks were a wreck!!! Charles Osgood's desk was pretty clean but he showed them how he cleaned up when he is told someone is coming to see him. He scoops all of his papers up and puts them in a box under his desk (this is me too!!!) There was only one office that was a real disaster and that was the only office the author said was not productive. It literally looked as if someone had taken a cannon full of paper and just shot it off!!! :eek: There was no rhyme or reason for his mess!! I must say that I felt better after that report. I wish I was neater than I am now, but I really have no problem finding things. I know when my mess is counter productive and that is when I clean up my act a little.:rolleyes: Thanks for the tips, however! If I take at least one thing away and put it into action, it would be progress!!:cool:
Ann

I don't think Jilleysue was the author of this...LOL.
IMPOSTER....LOL

OMG!! Cheating on Jilleysue! I can't believe it!

Thanks for posting Kristi!

Hahahahahah!!! Yes Thanks Kristi

baychef said:
I think I printed that out a few months ago and it is in a pile on the floor on the left hand side of my desk!!! :D
Did anyone see CBS This Morning with Charles Osgood this past Sunday? Their last segment was on messy desks. There is an author that has a book out saying that for some people, messy is better for them. They are usually people that can find things easily in their piles (this is me!!). All of the CBS people's desks were a wreck!!! Charles Osgood's desk was pretty clean but he showed them how he cleaned up when he is told someone is coming to see him. He scoops all of his papers up and puts them in a box under his desk (this is me too!!!) There was only one office that was a real disaster and that was the only office the author said was not productive. It literally looked as if someone had taken a cannon full of paper and just shot it off!!! :eek: There was no rhyme or reason for his mess!! I must say that I felt better after that report. I wish I was neater than I am now, but I really have no problem finding things. I know when my mess is counter productive and that is when I clean up my act a little.:rolleyes: Thanks for the tips, however! If I take at least one thing away and put it into action, it would be progress!!:cool:
Ann

I saw that. Made me feel good about my office space. I think that's the true difference between organized and neat. Everything about my mom is neat, but she can never find anything--most unorganized person I've ever met. She can never find anything.

No problem!! :D

What are some organization tips for a small kitchen?

1. Use vertical space: Install shelves or hooks on the walls to free up counter space.2. Use drawer dividers: Keep utensils and small items organized in drawers with dividers.3. Utilize cabinet doors: Hang small baskets or hooks on the inside of cabinet doors for extra storage.4. Label everything: Keep items in labeled containers or jars to easily find what you need.5. Use multi-functional tools: Look for kitchen tools that can serve multiple purposes to save space.

How can I keep my pantry organized?

1. Group similar items together: Keep all canned goods in one area, snacks in another, and so on.2. Use clear containers: Store dry goods in clear containers to easily see what you have and how much.3. Rotate items: When restocking your pantry, make sure to move older items to the front and place new items in the back.4. Make use of door space: Hang organizers on the back of your pantry door for additional storage.5. Declutter regularly: Take some time every few months to go through your pantry and get rid of any expired or unused items.

What are some tips for organizing a busy family's schedule?

1. Use a shared calendar: Keep everyone's schedules in one place, whether it's a physical calendar or a shared digital one.2. Color code: Assign each family member a color to easily see who has what on the schedule.3. Set reminders: Use phone reminders or alarms to help everyone stay on track.4. Plan ahead: Take some time at the beginning of each week to go over everyone's schedule and plan accordingly.5. Use a family command center: Designate a central area in your home for important papers, schedules, and to-do lists.

How can I organize my closet efficiently?

1. Purge: Start by going through your clothes and getting rid of anything you no longer wear or need.2. Use slim hangers: Slim hangers take up less space and can help keep your clothes organized.3. Utilize vertical space: Install shelves or hanging organizers to make use of vertical space in your closet.4. Categorize: Keep similar items grouped together, such as all your tops or dresses.5. Invest in storage solutions: Consider purchasing storage bins or dividers to keep smaller items organized and easily accessible.

What are some tips for organizing paperwork and documents?

1. Create a filing system: Use labeled folders or binders to keep important documents organized.2. Digitize: Consider scanning important documents and saving them electronically to reduce paper clutter.3. Use a shredder: Make sure to shred any documents with personal information before throwing them away.4. Set up a mail station: Designate a spot for incoming mail and sort through it regularly to avoid piles building up.5. Keep a calendar: Use a physical or digital calendar to keep track of important due dates for bills or other documents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton