• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Neighborhood Open Houses Boost Sales Success?

In summary, my good friend wants to do my first show, which is great, but she will invite alot of my friends, so instead of doing my own kick-off party I thought I’d do an open-house to try and get into a different circle. So this is my plan, please tell me what you think! My friend is doing a "deluxe cheeseburger salad" open house on Saturday with a raffle to win $200 in free products. She is also going to use balloons to promote the event.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I keep hearing people say that they have not had much success with open houses, so I am wondering, has anyone had a good turn out/sales from doing a neighborhood open house? And if so, what did you do?

My good friend wants to do my first show, which is great, but she will invite alot of my friends, so instead of doing my own kick-off party I thought I’d do an open-house to try and get into a different circle. So this is my plan, please tell me what you think!

1: Start going for lots of walks in the neighborhood now that the weather is nice! Say hi and smile (and talk to if they want to!) everyone I meet so they at least know my face.

2: Deliver invites personally by going door-to-door.

3: Try to get my closest neighbors to show up for moral support/bodies in my house(!), even if they don’t want to buy anything (especially if any of them want to do a show for me!).

4: Have nice displays of PC products, some yummy recipes to try, and maybe a few tools to try (suggestions?)

So, any thoughts/ideas? How far in advance should I hand out the invites?

Is it worth handing out a mini-cat when I deliver the invites (or maybe just leave them with the invites at houses where I don’t see someone face-to-face?)

Also, here is my invite (current version!), is it too “busy”? Is there anything I should add or leave off? I'm going to put a recipe on the back.

Sorry this is so long, TIA for your help!

Attachments

• OpenHouseInvite.doc
    59.5 KB · Views: 444
Your invite looks awesome. Hand out invites 2 weeks before, maybe 2 1/2 at most. The trick is RE-inviting folks 2 days before. Try to get their phone numbers, or email so you can send them a quick reminder invite.

Not a minicatalog unless you have lots. Leave a recipe and something that makes them want to come (10% off to the first 8 people who RSVP with a "yes") which you can more than make up for with the host benefit.

Just like having a good show, you want some guarantee that at least 12-15 folks will be there. So perhaps anchor the show with a chocolate demo or demo the latest season's recipes.

I just did one featuring Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad, and Mini Glazed Lemon Cakes. I did salad at noon, lemon cakes at 4 with the whole thing ending at 5.

Keep food samples to an absolute minimum - cinnamon rollups with Sweet Cinnamon sprinkle in the morning, veggie platter wtih a savory dip (1 part mayo, 1 part sour cream, seasoning to taste) in the PM. You don't want a lot of looky loo's stopping by to chow down, you want potential hosts and consultants stopping by to see product, see you and take advantage of an awesome deal.

Good luck; let us know how it goes.

I always offer alot of different incentives at my open houses! It make the pary more fun and people LOVE to take home something for FREE!

I offer a FREE "goodie bag" valued at $10 each for the 1st 10 people who arrive. I fill it with a $5.00 coupon if they place an order at my open house and them I add a Season;s Best or recipe cars and a spice or bamboo tongs. Try buying products you can break up. For my spring OH I purchased a bunch of the Corn nobs and I only put 2 (1 set) in each bag! Wouldn't you know each person ordered more of the corn nobs just so they would have a set. You want to intise them to buy more!

I also raffle off atleast $200 in FREE products! I unually hold an on-line catalog show 2 months prior to my OH. That way I can used the Host benifits/FREE products to get the tings I want to give away for FREE!! They less out of your pocket the better!

Do Booking Balloons! Take a dozen or so of helium balloons and put a products in each (write a product on a piece of paper and stick it in the balloon before you blow it up) I always do 11 smaller prizes under $10 and 1 BIG prize for atleast $25. When someone at your open house books a show they get to pop a balloon and you will bring them the prize they won to their show when held! Again, I uses products I get for FREE or for cheap of the Outlet etc... Instead of doing actual products you can always offer extra cash for the Host to use at her show! This way if you give an extra $25 in free products you can take it onto the Host 30% discount + you will get your 20% + commission fo for $25 you will only spend $12.50 or so!

Keep the food you serve simple and cheap! Thsi part of the OH can get expensive! Remember they are only coing to nibble on some tasty treats not for a full meal! You can even offer extra raffle tickets to those who bring a new recipe dish to the OH! People LOVE to share the recipes THEY LOVE!

I always make 1 recipe with the group and I get them involved in the kitchen! This keeps the party fun and informal! People love to feel and touch the products before buying them! Ex... I had 1 open house where we made taco salad and I had almost everyone come up and test out the new mix-n-chop as I feel in LOVE with this product! Just about everyone at the show bought it! I even had a few tell me that they had looked passed it in the catalog and only bought it because they used it and loved it!

Ok I have rambled enough! Good luck to you!

PS... to get a new group of people to come offer an incentive for the people you know (your friends and neighborhs to bring 2 friend each) offer a special prize for the person who brings the MOST uninvited guest with them to your show! Let us know how it goes!!!!!

Carolyn M Gandy said:
Do Booking Balloons! Take a dozen or so of helium balloons and put a products in each (write a product on a piece of paper and stick it in the balloon before you blow it up) I always do 11 smaller prizes under $10 and 1 BIG prize for atleast $25. When someone at your open house books a show they get to pop a balloon and you will bring them the prize they won to their show when held! Again, I uses products I get for FREE or for cheap of the Outlet etc... Instead of doing actual products you can always offer extra cash for the Host to use at her show! This way if you give an extra $25 in free products you can take it onto the Host 30% discount + you will get your 20% + commission fo for $25 you will only spend $12.50 or so!

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing Carolyn! :love:

Thanks for some great ideas guys! I like the idea of having something for the first 8-10 people to arrive. My problem with freebies is that this will be my first show (and I want to start my 30 days as close to this as possible), so I'm not sure what I'll be able to have on hand in terms of SB's and other small door-prize type stuff... I guess I can do gift certs though.

I hadn't planned on demo-ing a recipe, but maybe I will...

If I just have some tools to try out, does anyone have some suggestions?

Microplane - lemons to zest
Food Chopper - Onions (or nuts?)
Mandoline - Potato (is that what everyone does?)

It is HARD to be both the consultant and the host at the same time.I have had very successful open houses - but I don't call them that. What I found is that when it is open ended like that ("come any time between 5-7" for example) people tend not to come at all.I call mine things like "New Product Extravaganza" or "Spring Fling Party".....and I have just a start time - not an end time attached to it. I make any food ahead of time, and I greet people as they come in the door, just like I would for a show. I tell them to help themselves to some food, give them a guest folder w/ a catalog, a drawing slip, an order form, and booking info for the months I want to book.I have a display of new products, and I encourage them to look them over, and try them out. Then, after about 20 minutes from the start time, I do a brief presentation of the new products, and also talk about bookings and recruiting. Then, I let them mill around, eat some more, play with the products....while I take orders and book shows. I usually end up with between $500-$700 in sales (the sales aren't what I want as much as bookings!) and I've had anywhere from 5-10 bookings. I HATE hosting Home Parties of any kind (crazy, isn't it?) so I want to make sure I get as many bookings as possible if I'm going to do it at all!

Ok, I already planned my open house before reading this...and I already invited other vendors which I probably can't get out of. Any suggestions for making it successful even with other DS companies there? (At my last open house, 2 people got recruits and I didn't get squat!)

I have a question about booking balloons, which might be a dumb one, but I am confused... do you blow them up with helium? Like with one of those kits from the party supply store? Or I was thinking maybe blowing them up with my own personal hot air and putting them in a big bin, and letting them choose from there... What do you all do?And, if you do booking balloons inside, like at a high school craft fair, how loud do they pop? Does everyone hit the deck??I know, I think of the WEIRDEST stuff... I blame it on constant sleep deprivation. ;)

You can prick the end of a baloon (where you blow it up) and it will slowly deflate. Or you can have a single ceremonial hatpin you give to folks to pop their baloon. Maybe have a bell or horn to buzz/beep/ding to get folks' attention so you can say "Ladies and Gentlemen, in the kitchen right now Mrs. Betty is going to pop her baloon - so count down with me and cover your ears. FIVE - FOUR - THREE - TWO - ONE - POP!" And she wins. . . a pink pot scrubber from The Pampered Chef and a certificate for $25 towards new cookware at her very own cooking show!

If you want it to float "up" then invest in a helium tank, about $12-15 from a party supply store. If not, you can find sticks and fasteners at a party supply store as well - that's what I typically do.

I am a new consultant here. I sort of did the same thing but called it my celebration show to kick off my new business. My recruiter loved the idea. I handed out the invite and current month special to each house in my neighborhood. Left it in their newspaper box. It is going to be held on April 24. So I can give you an idea of how mine turn out before yours is held. These are some great ideas.

Diane

PS: My neighborhood has 320 homes in it. I may be able to calculate an average percentage of new contacts actually showing up to open invites in neighborhoods. I'll definitely keep you updated on this.

Diane - I'll be interested to hear your up-date, I hope it goes well! Thanks for sharing :)

Becky, I love the idea of not calling it an open house! (And not having an open-ended "start time" - it's so discouraging watching the clock and wondering if anyone will show up...). BUT... I'm not coming up with a good name! Summer Flummer, Hummer, Bummer... It obviously is not going to be something that rhymes with summer!! (Spring Fling sounds so good!).

Any ideas out there? Other than "Kick Off Party" or "Grand Opening Party"...

Anyone?

Oh, one more question. Does a Saturday or a Sunday work best for this kind of thing? I know for me something like this would be fun on a Sunday afternoon, because in our house we don't plan to run errands on Sundays, and Saturday afternoons are usually taken up with errands, chores etc so that would be better for me. Do most people feel the same way, or not?

TIA!!

AnnieBee said:
Diane - I'll be interested to hear your up-date, I hope it goes well! Thanks for sharing :)

Becky, I love the idea of not calling it an open house! (And not having an open-ended "start time" - it's so discouraging watching the clock and wondering if anyone will show up...). BUT... I'm not coming up with a good name! Summer Flummer, Hummer, Bummer... It obviously is not going to be something that rhymes with summer!! (Spring Fling sounds so good!).

Any ideas out there? Other than "Kick Off Party" or "Grand Opening Party"...

Anyone?

Oh, one more question. Does a Saturday or a Sunday work best for this kind of thing? I know for me something like this would be fun on a Sunday afternoon, because in our house we don't plan to run errands on Sundays, and Saturday afternoons are usually taken up with errands, chores etc so that would be better for me. Do most people feel the same way, or not?

TIA!!

How about:

CELEBRATE SUMMER!...and help me celebrate my new business!

SUMMER CELEBRATION!

SUMMER SPLASH!

And I've never done a show on a Sunday. Saturdays have worked well me, but not in the summer.

I love to do open houses. I have good turn outs. My first one was last May when I signed so I called it my Launch Party and this March I did my "Spring Product Launch & Mystery Host Open House". I know its long but people got the idea. I think I had 20 people come last month and had like 12 orders ($434), 1 recruit lead, 4 bookings (can't remember exactly). So to me it was a success. Now did I make back what I spent on food, invitations, gifts, etc. Probably not but it was worth it with the bookings,etc.
Have fun!!

Thanks Becky and Becky! I only just saw this today.

I think I like "Summer Splash" (or does that sound too much like a pool party?! :):balloon:). What about "Summer Splash Launch Party", or is that too long... More ideas please ladies and gents!

Also, I'd love more feed back on the Sat vs Sun for an open house. Of course being 31st May vs 1 June it would also affect the H/G specials...

I agree w/you about Sunday - that is a better day for me to try & attend a party rather than Saturday unless it was late in the evening.

The Sat/Sun thing depends somewhat on your location, I think. I live in a very conservative, family-oriented, church-oriented community, and I think that having a Pampered Chef Party on a Sunday would go over like a lead balloon with a lot of my customers. Sunday is a church and family day around here.

I agree with Becky that it depends on your area as to which day is best for your area.

Around here people will show up more one Sunday afternoon b/c they are having a leaisurely afternoon between morning and night chuch services, so, they normally do not have other activities planned.

But it depends on your area and you know it better than any of us.

I like something simple like "spring fling" I agree do not call it an open house. Have a start time listed only.

Around here I'm not sure how many people go to church! Or if they do, I don't think they wouldn't mind going to a PC party on a Sunday afternoon.

Becky, being Dutch by marriage, with plenty of in-laws in your area I know what you mean :). Personally, I am planning on not doing parties on Sundays, but I thought I might make this the exception as it is my kick-off... I need to check with my DH about that though!! I have no problem going to one as a guest on a Sunday though.

Another thing to consider, then, when choosing a date is that many people who book from a show or open house will pick the same day of the week as the show they attended. So if you have your OH on a Sunday, you'll get Sunday bookings from it, and Sunday bookings from those, and so on. It can be hard to get people to think that another day of the week can be as successful.

chefann said:
Another thing to consider, then, when choosing a date is that many people who book from a show or open house will pick the same day of the week as the show they attended. So if you have your OH on a Sunday, you'll get Sunday bookings from it, and Sunday bookings from those, and so on. It can be hard to get people to think that another day of the week can be as successful.

I have never thought about that!!! And I do not do shows on Sunday b/c they take longer and would interfer with me going to church.

I did my open house on a Saturday from 11-1pm. People stayed til 2 but that was ok. It gave my family time to wake up without being rushed, last minute run to the store, etc. People loved it!! Plus those with kids who have games at 9am could make it anytime. It was a come and go but most hung out. I did a simple fruit salad in the trifle, the berry shortcakes, and one other thing I can't remember....oh the tuxedo brownies. Simple but good. I displayed the consultant kit in one area so people could ask questions about it without me being overly pushy. :)
Good luck.

AnnieBee said:
Around here I'm not sure how many people go to church! Or if they do, I don't think they wouldn't mind going to a PC party on a Sunday afternoon.

Becky, being Dutch by marriage, with plenty of in-laws in your area I know what you mean :). Personally, I am planning on not doing parties on Sundays, but I thought I might make this the exception as it is my kick-off... I need to check with my DH about that though!! I have no problem going to one as a guest on a Sunday though.

Hee Hee - I'm "Dutch by marriage" too!:D I thought you'd probably know what a meant.;)

1. What is an open house event for Pampered Chef?

An open house event for Pampered Chef is a gathering where guests can come and try out our products, learn about our company, and have the opportunity to purchase items if they wish. It’s a fun and interactive way to experience our high-quality kitchen tools and gadgets.

2. Do I need to bring anything to an open house?

No, you do not need to bring anything to an open house. We will provide all the necessary materials for you to try out our products and learn about our company. However, if you have a specific recipe or dish in mind, you are welcome to bring the ingredients to try it out with our products.

3. Can I purchase products at an open house?

Yes, you can purchase products at an open house. Our consultants will have products available for you to purchase at the event. You can also place an order and have the products delivered directly to your home.

4. Is there a cost to attend an open house?

No, there is no cost to attend an open house. It is a free event for anyone who is interested in learning more about Pampered Chef and our products. However, if you decide to purchase products, there will be a cost associated with your purchase.

5. Can I bring a friend or family member to an open house?

Yes, you are welcome to bring a friend or family member to an open house. The more, the merrier! It’s a great opportunity to introduce someone else to Pampered Chef and have a fun time together trying out our products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thehaleykitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kasper2010
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • naekelsey