• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oops! I Cut Myself During a Mandoline Demo!

In summary, Brandie cut herself with her mandoline and decided to stop using it. Rae is also not a fan of the new mandoline design and is unhappy with how it cuts.
Brandie
I have been lightly running a finger over the v-shaped blade at my shows to demonstrate how they lie flat--pushed too hard today. :eek: OUCH! Cut myself, but the show must go on! My host (a really good friend, thank goodness) got me a bandaid, and everyone thought it was really funny (since I made a huge joke out of it), but no one bought a mandoline! Go figure! :rolleyes:

I'm such a dork!!!

I am scrapping that part of my demo, however! :D

OUCH! I get worried about doing that, and am still careful when cleaning it...

I had been doing that at my shows too, to talk about how the blade doesn't engage unless you are using the food hopper. I wonder how it cut you. I would hate for mine to go schizo and cut me one day. Yikes!!

I've been doing the same thing and wondered if one day this would happen to me. I think I will just slide my finger lightly over the blade just in case.

just thinkingyou know with the ultimate slice and grate you could take a food item across the blade to cut it without the food handler........what if we take a potato or something and try and run it across the mandoline blade, to save our fingers just in case. what does anyone think???:confused:

Last edited:
Hi Brandie - Ouch is right! I'm not the biggest fan of the mandoline; hard to manage and feels very clunky to me. Hope your finger is better....

U.M. & coleslawDoes anyone use the U.M. to make coleslaw? This is always a question at my shows.

jtjacaldwell said:
Does anyone use the U.M. to make coleslaw? This is always a question at my shows.
I haven't personally done this yet, but it would work very well!

Cut the cabbage into wedges (take out the core, too!) and use one of the slicing blades to get ribbons of cabbage.

Use the grater blade to shred carrots and onions!

Or, if you like the very fine cole slaw, you could use the grater blade for everything!

HTH

Sorry about your owie, Brandie. Because I know how accident-prone I am, I always run my finger up the flat blade, so there's very little chance of me cutting myself. You'll notice I didn't say there was no chance.

I just show everyone, and then pull the triggers with my fingers and they can see how it raises up. No cuts for me!

I know, Brandie--now we tell you.

~SIGH~

I like the idea of taking a potato and runnong it acros the top. Much less painful than a finger. And typing is now a definite issue--it's my right index finger! Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the Dork-Of-The-Month Club. I believe I'll now be the featured member in the May newsletter! :D

That is exactly why they redesigned the USG to the Mandoline. I was so scared of it. I had a past host not want the Mandoline when it was on a special so I purchased it. I like it so much better than the USG and I'm not scared any more.

Brandie said:
Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the Dork-Of-The-Month Club. I believe I'll now be the featured member in the May newsletter! :D

Ooh, I could so be a member. Want to sponsor me for membership, Brandie? And, of course, I've got to have a copy of that newsletter. Can I borrow your copy? ;)

LOL- I was one of those goofballs who heard about a slicing fingers story and still bought it. Well, that was the old one.
Actually, I'm not a fan of the new one so much. I can actually use the old one easier, but I totally agree that the new one is safer. But I can't seem to get it to cut right. So I go to use it at shows and I tear my tomatoes apart. While if I do it at home in my kitchen, they look decent. I think I"m going to quit using it for tomatoes. So far I haven't talked anyone into buying it.

With the tomatoes I found that they have to be really really firm to slice well using the Mandoline. So, I think I am going to just show the tomatoe knife for them.

"Ooh, I could so be a member. Want to sponsor me for membership, Brandie? And, of course, I've got to have a copy of that newsletter. Can I borrow your copy?"

Rae--of course! I would love to sponsor you! I will get you your pocket-protector and TI-90 calculator right away! And injuring yourself frequently because of stupidity or clumsiness is just one of the many fine benefits of being a dork! We meet semi-annually, too. I'll get all my back-issues of the newsletter out to you--I have them filed according to date, subject, and alphabet (I need several copies of each to do this, but that's what we dorks do!). Shall I bring them to the next cluster meeting?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, Brandie. I know I qualify. I'd love the back issues. I'll load them into my PC tote to bring home and read right away. After all, that's what we dorks do. Right?

Just wanted everyone to know that my finger has officially healed (mostly), and I am ready for my show tonight! WOO HOO! I can even type again! :D

Yea for Brandie!

I take it to my shows but rarely demo it. I point out that it is among the items on display and if someone seems interested I give them tips and go through the features and point out the reasonable cost as mandolines go. Have not sold many but those who have gotten them love them.

I personally don't use it much in my kitchen - I'm more a knife and chopper cook - but I have really liked it when I did. The big trick, in my experience, it to use the food holder as a HOLDER and not put pressure on it. If you just hold it as you slide it across the blade it works quite well.

Congrats Brandie!

For those of you that smash the tomatoes when cutting, are you using the V-shaped cutter in the mandoline to slice them with. I guess I haven't had that problem yet when I use the V-Shaped Cutter. Was just wondering. I really love the mandoline.

chee65 said:
For those of you that smash the tomatoes when cutting, are you using the V-shaped cutter in the mandoline to slice them with. I guess I haven't had that problem yet when I use the V-Shaped Cutter. Was just wondering. I really love the mandoline.

The Vshaped really does make a difference. When Ifirst sliced tomatoes I was not using it and once I did there was a world of difference!

Also, they need to be very firm. If you start with mush you will get mushier!:D

Oooh, I do that all the time at my shows... run my hand over it, not cut it! :rolleyes: Maybe I should be more careful... I usually run the flat of my palm lightly over it, not my finger, though... less chance of pressing too hard, maybe?

I should probably start doing it with whatever I'm going to slice, though... lime, tomato, whatever.

1. How do I properly use a mandoline to avoid cutting myself?

To avoid cutting yourself during a mandoline demo, make sure to always use the hand guard provided with the mandoline. It is also important to keep your fingers curled and away from the blade at all times while slicing. Lastly, make sure the mandoline is on a stable surface and you are using even pressure when slicing.

2. What should I do if I do accidentally cut myself during a mandoline demo?

If you accidentally cut yourself during a mandoline demo, stop the demonstration immediately and seek first aid. Apply pressure to the wound with a clean cloth and elevate the injured area. Seek medical attention if the cut is deep or won't stop bleeding.

3. Can I still continue with the mandoline demo if I cut myself?

If you have a minor cut that can be easily bandaged and is not affecting your ability to use the mandoline, then you can continue with the demo. However, it is important to prioritize your safety and stop the demo if the cut is severe or causing you pain.

4. What are some common mistakes that lead to cuts during a mandoline demo?

The most common mistake that leads to cuts during a mandoline demo is not using the hand guard or not using it properly. Other mistakes include using too much force when slicing and not paying attention to the placement of your fingers in relation to the blade.

5. How can I prevent cuts during a mandoline demo in the future?

To prevent cuts during a mandoline demo in the future, always use the hand guard, make sure the mandoline is on a stable surface, and use even pressure when slicing. It is also helpful to practice proper technique and to always be mindful of the placement of your fingers in relation to the blade.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• clshirk
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenapc
  • kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
raebates
  • ChefinHarmony