• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

One of my downline consultants got busted by HO

In summary, Carolyn was caught selling PC products through her Ebay store. She had a link to her website redirect under an unrelated domain.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
One of my downline consultants got busted by HO. She had an Ebay storefull of PC products...AND a link to her website thru a redirect link under some other domain.
I ADORE this consultant and i KNOW she knows this violates policy. I am FLOORED that she has been doing this and now I need to address it with her. I don't even know how...or where to begin. I don't want her to leave the business...but if THIS is how she has been staying active??? Oy oy oy... she is already registered for NC...so hopefully she'll straighten up & fly right, get with the program and learn at NC ways to sell LEGITIMATELY.

HELP?
Words to use? How do I address this?

Ouch! I def do not want to be in your shoes. Sorry to hear that. Firm but fair is all i can say, firm but fair

Carolyn - Is HO asking you to address her?

I would just do a training session with her on the policy & procedures manual, emphasize that you want her to succeed in the business but in a fair and honest way. Maybe share how much it hurts other consultants when the rules are violated and hurts the PC name.

Did HO notify you also , is that how you found out ?. and do they want youto talk to her ?
If so then you have to talk to her about this . I guess I would ask if that is how she stayed active and then just move on , If she is really nice and just thought that she could get away with it. Then she may just need to learn how to run her business the right way and I'm sure you have trained her great she may have saw the oppuntity and justkept going .
I'm sure she may feel bad now that she was found out but she can now stop and learn from her mistakes

good luck

Oh, good grief. I am so glad that I'm not in your shoes!Is HO at giving you a chance to talk to her to straighten her out before they do something more drastic? I agree with the above advice- go over the policies, being firm but fair. Give her the 118 ways to find bookings list that has been posted a LOT around here.{{{hugs}}}(And I take it that she's not one of the folks that we've spotted on eBay?)

chefann said:
(And I take it that she's not one of the folks that we've spotted on eBay?)

No, she is not one of the ones that has been posted here. I would have known the minute I opened up the link - her FREAKIN' PICTURE is there!! Oy Oy Oy. Now that I amthinking abotu it...maybe she was NOT clear on the rules, I mean her violation was SO blatant like she wasn't even trying to hide the fact that she is a consultant, kwim? Oy...

janetupnorth said:
Carolyn - Is HO asking you to address her?

I would just do a training session with her on the policy & procedures manual, emphasize that you want her to succeed in the business but in a fair and honest way. Maybe share how much it hurts other consultants when the rules are violated and hurts the PC name.

No, HO has not asked me to address her. They just copied me on the violation email they sent her. She has til Wednesday to shut down her auctions and her other domain site. OMG - what if sh eis out of town??!?! Cripes - I need to call her!

Ouch! Glad I'm not in your shoes! Maybe just buy her a CS membership and direct her to all of our 'ebay' threads!

<giggle>All of the frequent posters here tend to be readers, in that we all have at least skimmed the policies. And we (or at least I) tend to forget that not everyone reads things through before they jump right in. Hopefully, it is a case of her being unclear, rather than a blatant and purposeful disregard.

Last edited:
That's tough. I assume that she was selling current products? Exactly how do people do that? Have the products or take the order and direct ship as an individual order?

Once again...train, train, and retrain. If that doesn't work, then the actions taken are fair.

Call her, check to see if she got the message and make sure her main focus is to get that stuff down, then set a time to meet with her to review the policies and help her with her business.

I can say that I was not told upfront that we could not put things on Ebay. I am one that read everything I get my hands on, so, I saw it in the manual. she may have honestly not know if she did not read the manual if it has never been addressed directly.

Maybe just send her a copy of the email you got to make sure she gets her copy. Can you set your email to receive a "read receipt" to know that she received it and opened the email.

I would treat is as a "did someone fail to provide you with info about this." Not treat it as automatically accusing her of knowing she was violating rules. Put yourself in her shoes and think how you would prefer someone to treat you in this situation and go with that. I think we will try to make ourselves into the other party we can see how we would like to be treated with it.

Definitely offer to get together if she wants to go over procedures and help in anyway to boost her business through shows and her personal website.

Keep us posted on it.

I would give her a call ASAP. Since it was so blatant, I'm sure the email from HO scared the crap out of her. It did me when I got one. Although, I didn't know about my issue. Just be you! Fair and honest... and non-threatening questions, too: "Would you like me to help you figure out a way to rectify this?"
Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Ok...I called her.
She had not yet read the email so I had to break the news to her.
She was upset. "But everyone else is doing it...etc"
I did my best to explain to her WHY this policy is in place.
I have been wanting these particular Tupperware tumblers for some time now. They are more $$ that I am comfy spending if I were to buy them thru a consultant. So...I looked for them on Ebay. Slightly cheaper on Ebay - but then the GUILT hit me. I could NOT buy them on Ebay. I felt like I was hurting the Direct Sales business in general by NOT going thru a Tupperware consultant. I explained it THAT way to her and she seemed to get it.

Her issue - she has terrible back problems and hauling her kit to shows is killing her. I told her about doing a catalog walk-thru. Bringing the recipe already made and then doing a catalog walk-thru. She seemed open to that idea. Isn't there a thread on here somewhere detailing how to do it? I want to share that with her.

dannyzmom said:
Ok...I called her.
I did my best to explain to her WHY this policy is in place.
I have been wanting these particular Tupperware tumblers for some time now. They are more $$ that I am comfy spending if I were to buy them thru a consultant. So...I looked for them on Ebay. Slightly cheaper on Ebay - but then the GUILT hit me. I could NOT buy them on Ebay. I felt like I was hurting the Direct Sales business in general by NOT going thru a Tupperware consultant. I explained it THAT way to her and she seemed to get it.

Her issue - she has terrible back problems and hauling her kit to shows is killing her. I told her about doing a catalog walk-thru. Bringing the recipe already made and then doing a catalog walk-thru. She seemed open to that idea. Isn't there a thread on here somewhere detailing how to do it? I want to share that with her.

Wow, what a great explanation to use! And what a great suggestion for doing her shows differently.;)

On a different note, it does seem that maybe HO is cracking down on these things. So maybe it would be a great thing to do at a cluster meeting - go over some simple rules and regs as a "refresher". If you tell her ahead of time, and let her know that you are not going to single her out it will help others in your cluster too. Like Janet said, I never had anyone mention to me about online stuff at all.

Hey, sorry she has a bad back... sorry it is hard for her to get her stuf to show... but you know what... IT'S HARD FOR ALL OF US... HELLO! We all seem to be able to do it one way or another though. I have a young baby, but I manage to get bookings, pack my stuff and get to a show. We all have personal "issues" and those that want to succeed will.

Is this what she was selling?
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Pampered-Chef-Gift-Certificate-Lots-available_W0QQitemZ270125149977QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31411QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can't get to the link serch for: 20 pampered chef gift certificate lots

Maybe see if she can hire someone to help her transport her stuff or make that part of the host coaching?

dannyzmom said:
Ok...I called her.

First, when I read the "everyone is doing it" the Mom of a teenage in me wanted to say..."If everyone was jumping off a bridge...." :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Regarding her back problems....maybe going to NC will be good for her. It never fails to amaze me the wide range of people that are successful with PC. You will see people in wheelchairs, blind, missing limbs.....and they are directors, they are earning the big trips, earning TPC. It's easy for us to make up excuses as to why we are struggling with PC but when you go to conference and see people with bigger issues than you have that can still be successful....makes you want to dig in and get to work!

letscook04 said:
Is this what she was selling?
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Pampered-Chef-Gift-Certificate-Lots-available_W0QQitemZ270125149977QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31411QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can't get to the link serch for: 20 pampered chef gift certificate lots

No - that's not her - but man that's pretty brazen!!

Sorry about what happend Carolyn. I hope it all work out in the end for you.

Sorry to hijack the thread. But, what is happening in NC?

Please excuse me for being such a DUNCE!!!(sp). I was thinking North Carolina. Just realized it is National Conference. AAAHHH.

Excellent way to break it to her and your explanation is fair but to the point. So now what?

ChefJeniLobdell said:
Please excuse me for being such a DUNCE!!!(sp). I was thinking North Carolina. Just realized it is National Conference. AAAHHH.

Don't feel bad....I think the same thing everytime I see NC, even knowing it's National Conference. I'm still getting used to people on the internet abbreviating everything. KWIM? LOL :D :D

lsm72 said:
Excellent way to break it to her and your explanation is fair but to the point. So now what?

So, according to HO she has til the 6th to pull al her auctions and shut down the domain nsite. Let's hope she complies.

In the meantime, I would like to send a blanket email out to my team reminding them of the rules. I usually save all the weekly bites and was going to quote the one a few weeks ago where they mentioned on line stuff..but I can't find it now. Anyone have it?

I'm glad it is going to work out ok, but honestly it is kind of disappointing that nothing is really done about the violators. I mean I understand that they have to pull the auction or remove info from their myspace account, but that's it? Not really a deterrent if you ask me. And I understand that there have been situations where people were in violation and didn't even realize it (others posting their website about a party, etc). And I don't even know what should happen to violators, I'm just thinking out loud.

amy07 said:
I'm glad it is going to work out ok, but honestly it is kind of disappointing that nothing is really done about the violators. I mean I understand that they have to pull the auction or remove info from their myspace account, but that's it? Not really a deterrent if you ask me. And I understand that there have been situations where people were in violation and didn't even realize it (others posting their website about a party, etc). And I don't even know what should happen to violators, I'm just thinking out loud.
Actually I think PC is quite fair. If the consultant complies to the warning nothing happens - Pc takes into account that the consultant may not realize they are breaking rules. If the consultant doesn't comply she/he is no longer and will never be a consultant with PC.

When they first made the big deal about checking our names on the web for links I found me there. I was shocked and upset that I might be breaking the rules. I contacted Richard and he advised me as to how to get my information off that site (I had no connection with them and didn't know them at all). If they had a no excuses policy a lot of innocent people would lose as would PC.

BethCooks4U said:
Actually I think PC is quite fair. If the consultant complies to the warning nothing happens - Pc takes into account that the consultant may not realize they are breaking rules. If the consultant doesn't comply she/he is no longer and will never be a consultant with PC.

When they first made the big deal about checking our names on the web for links I found me there. I was shocked and upset that I might be breaking the rules. I contacted Richard and he advised me as to how to get my information off that site (I had no connection with them and didn't know them at all). If they had a no excuses policy a lot of innocent people would lose as would PC.
So how did you get it off?

chefkristin said:
So how did you get it off?
Oh, Richard told me who/how to contact and I requested they remove me. They said "PC can't do anything to you" and I responded that I still wanted my link taken off. I copied Richard on every thing. I was never in any trouble with PC - I went to them with it so it was obvious that I was innocent. - These people had grabbed a lot of the PC websites and added them to their link to show PC that they couldn't make such rules. A lot of us were surprised to see our names there.

dannyzmom said:
So, according to HO she has til the 6th to pull al her auctions and shut down the domain nsite. Let's hope she complies.

In the meantime, I would like to send a blanket email out to my team reminding them of the rules. I usually save all the weekly bites and was going to quote the one a few weeks ago where they mentioned on line stuff..but I can't find it now. Anyone have it?
Carolyn, the past couple months worth of Weekly Bites are on CC. Go to Managing your business > News you can use > Weekly Bites.

chefann said:
Carolyn, the past couple months worth of Weekly Bites are on CC. Go to Managing your business > News you can use > Weekly Bites.

Thanks Ann!!

[
Regarding her back problems....maybe going to NC will be good for her. It never fails to amaze me the wide range of people that are successful with PC. You will see people in wheelchairs, blind, missing limbs.....and they are directors, they are earning the big trips, earning TPC. It's easy for us to make up excuses as to why we are struggling with PC but when you go to conference and see people with bigger issues than you have that can still be successful....makes you want to dig in and get to work![/QUOTE]

My hospitality director is one that truly amazes me...She is paralyzed in one foot...needs a cane to get around. She has been with PC for 12 years...and is an Advanced Director, and goes on every single trip!! She's amazing!

So a back problem...well I understand, but ...My hosp. director does need help getting her things in and out of the car/house...but she still does several shows a week...sometimes two on a Saturday!!!

She can ask the host or the host's husband for help carrying things...or bring her husband along, or a teenage child if that's applicable to her...

In talking with her, I wouldn't talk like..."The rules are..." I'd focus on how she can do things the right way. Help her that way and not lecturing her on the rules.

Best of luck!! and if nothing else ...this will help the rest of your cluster to see how important it is to keep our noses clean!

You could also let your consultant know it is okay to take only what you need for the recipe she is making that day and any requests for other products. We can't possibly take the whole catalog and I never would attempt to. This saves time for everybody anyway and most people understand that you are not going to have everything with you anyway. I hope she reconsiders her practices and realizes this is HER business and this WHY we all get in the business because it is flexible and we can do it in different legal ways. Potato lime demos are great! And I and all of us could go on and on. Please...suggest some of the simple things to her after she gets over the shock of being busted and also realizing that selling on ebay was not really making her a true PC Star!

BethCooks4U said:
Oh, Richard told me who/how to contact and I requested they remove me. They said "PC can't do anything to you" and I responded that I still wanted my link taken off. I copied Richard on every thing. I was never in any trouble with PC - I went to them with it so it was obvious that I was innocent. - These people had grabbed a lot of the PC websites and added them to their link to show PC that they couldn't make such rules. A lot of us were surprised to see our names there.
Ok....I'll show my ignorance...how exactly did you check for your name on the internet? Did you just do a search on your name?

Yep- just Google your own name.

chefann said:
Yep- just Google your own name.

I just Googled myself and it took me to some of our threads here. I had not done that in a while.

The Google thing is one of the reasons I try no to use my full name online anywhere.

What is a potato lime demo?

1. What actions did the downline consultant take that violated Pampered Chef's policies?

The downline consultant violated Pampered Chef's policies by operating an Ebay store filled with PC products and using a redirect link to her website under a different domain. This is considered a violation because it goes against the company's guidelines for selling and promoting products.

2. How should I approach addressing this issue with the consultant?

It's important to approach the situation with understanding and empathy. Let the consultant know that you are aware of the issue and that you want to support them in finding legitimate ways to sell products. It's important to have an open and honest conversation about why this is a violation and the consequences it could have on their business.

3. Is it possible for the consultant to continue with Pampered Chef after this violation?

Yes, it is possible for the consultant to continue with Pampered Chef after this violation. However, they will need to make changes to their selling methods and comply with the company's policies going forward. Attending NC and learning about legitimate ways to sell products can also help them stay active and successful in the business.

4. What words can I use to address this issue with the consultant?

When addressing this issue with the consultant, it's important to use words that convey concern and support. You can say something like, "I noticed that you were operating an Ebay store and using a redirect link to your website under a different domain. This is considered a violation of our policies and I want to make sure we work together to find legitimate ways for you to sell products."

5. How can Pampered Chef help the consultant in this situation?

Pampered Chef can provide support and resources to help the consultant find legitimate ways to sell products. This can include attending NC and learning about the company's policies, as well as providing guidance on how to market and promote products in a compliant manner. The consultant can also reach out to their upline for additional support and guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Maya Bamer
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • pcsharon1
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Mvpchef
  • Lilamyw3