• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is my child's fingernail coming off on its own?

Normally I don't start so many threads, but here's a question: has anyone had this happen (read on)? Normally when a fingernail falls off it is because of something that caused the nail to break. For example, if a child bangs their finger, the nail may break. However, in this case the child's fingernail just fell off without any known cause. This could be a sign of an underlying medical condition, so it is important for the parent to make an appointment with a doctor to check for any abnormalities.
Brandie
Normally I don't start so many threads, but here's a question: has anyone had this happen (read on)?

My daughter (3 1/2 years old) was crying downstairs, so I went to investigate. She says, "I'm okay, Mommy," between sobs, so when I finally get her to tell me what happened, she said, "I was picking at my fingernail, and the whole thing came off!" I'm thinking that she's using her very active and always-in-use imagination until I look at her finger, and sure enough, her WHOLE pinky fingernail is gone. I find the fingernail (while on the phone with the phone nurse), and it has broken off well beneath the nail bed where it comes out from under the skin.

Now my daughter is not writhing in pain (like I would be). She's just watching tv like nothing is wrong. Anyone know of any reason that a whole nail would comes off/break like that? It's not bleeding, just seeping a clear fluid. The phone nurse wanted to check with her doctor, and that was quite a while ago. I still haven't heard back. It's just so weird...

Yikes!
Maybe she had banged the finger earlier?

My DS was running last year and tripped over the front of my foot and ended up ripping about 1/2 of my big toe nail off with his shoe...

It HURT!!!! I had to keep it bandaged for a few weeks, but amazingly it didn't bleed as much as I thought it would. I think if it had been on my hand, it wouldn't have hurt so much, but every time I took as step I was putting pressure on that toe. The nail finally grew back, but still doesn't look quite right. Oh well.

That can happen. My husband had the happen when he toe got stuck under a chair (backing up for my daughter to get on his lap). Her's ripped half off...no idea why. Bled a little and she just casually mentioned it. Within a couple weeks, it had grown back completely.

OUCH!!!:eek: :eek:
I know kids can be tough, but man, that takes the cake!!

Hmm, the only time my DS's fingernail ever came off like that was after he'd banged it good. Sometimes it didn't even look bruised, but we could think back and remember when he whacked it somehow.

Brandie have you heard anything from the doctor yet? That has got to hurt, I would keep it covered until a new nail comes in. You would not want it to get dirty and get infected.

I had my big toenail come off when I was a kid. I got it caught in the spokes of an exercise bike my sister was playing with. All I can say is...OWWW

I have a toe nail that came off after a heavy amplifier fell on it about 20 some years ago. It grew back, now about every 3-5 years though and just that infrequently it will start to "regrow" a whole new nail and push the old one completely off!

Isn't it amazing how people love to tell the "wait till you hear what happened to me!" stories. I find is very amusing how we all have completely different lives, live in different areas of the country, but all end up having some of the same experiences!

I had my baby toe nail come off, and it hurt like heck:( Make sure to keep an eye on it. She sounds like a strong girl:)

This happened to me twice before, but with each of my little toes. The first one just fell off from my right pinky toe, and I hadn't bumped into anything in the last month. I thought nothing of it until my left pinky toe nail fell completely off. Again, I hadn't bumped into anything at all. After the 2nd time I decided to make an appt with the doctor to find out what the heck was going on.

The doctor told me that none of my meds would cause the problem and took blood test to be sure. Once the blood test came back, the next day, he let me know that he couldn't see where it would have happened..That it was just something that happens, sometimes.

It has been about 6 months since the last time with no other happenings. They never hurt me also, just surprised. I also put band aids around my toes until the nail started growing back. (this would keep anything from touch my sensitive open toe..

Hope this helps to put your worries aside.

What is "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..."?

"Okay--This Is Totally Weird..." is a cookbook created by Pampered Chef that features unique and unconventional recipes using their kitchen tools and products.

Are the recipes in "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..." difficult to make?

Not at all! The recipes in this cookbook are designed to be easy and fun to make, using simple ingredients and step-by-step instructions.

Can I use regular kitchen tools if I don't have Pampered Chef products?

Yes, you can still make the recipes in "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..." using regular kitchen tools. However, we highly recommend using Pampered Chef products for the best results and to fully experience the unique features of the recipes.

Are there any vegetarian or vegan recipes in "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..."?

Yes, there are a variety of vegetarian and vegan options in this cookbook. Each recipe is labeled with dietary restrictions, making it easy to find recipes that fit your needs.

Can I purchase "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..." in stores?

No, "Okay--This Is Totally Weird..." is only available for purchase through Pampered Chef consultants or their website. However, you can host a party and earn the cookbook for free or at a discounted price.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• missyciccolella
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Karen