• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Okay Everyone, I Need Help With a Salad

In summary, my bonehead cousin-in-law is having Christmas this year and when my DH phoned to ask her what I can bring (being 2 years with PC I was hoping a dessert, appetizer etc). She automatically as if she already had her assigned list says jellied salad or some other type of salad UGH!!
kcjodih
Gold Member
idea. My bonehead cousin-in-law is having Christmas this year and when my DH phoned to ask her what I can bring (being 2 years with PC I was hoping a dessert, appetizer etc). She automatically as if she already had her assigned list says jellied salad or some other type of salad UGH!!

First of all, I did Christmas last year, had her bring nothing and she showed up with this horrible cranberry jellied salad that NOONE but her and her DH ate! AND with ham, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, a couple more veggies, buns, christmas pudding and a tray of squares and cookies PLUS the appetizers before hand, WHO on earth eats salad? When the family gets together (14 of us) for birthdays, Easter and Thanksgiving we only JUST touch the salad! I'm sure with the extra 4 from their side of the family it's not going to make much difference. Plus, we only ever eat or make caesar salad, mixed green salad, potato salad and mac salad. NONE of these going with Turkey!

Any ideas of a 'salad' I could bring that we might actually eat AND that goes with turkey and ham? Do any of YOU have salad with your Christmas meal?

UGGGHHHH!!!

Hmmm..my mom always makes Pretzel Salad for Christmas. IMO it's more of a dessert type thing. But is is 'jellied' so it might work...
FIRST LAYER

2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
3/4 cup melted margarine
3 tablespoons sugar
SECOND LAYER

1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese
1 cup sugar
2 cups whipped topping (small container)
THIRD LAYER

1 lg pkg (6 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (10oz) boxes frozen strawberries

Christmas and Thanksgiving are nothing in our family without Coleslaw and cauliflower salad. The best part is having a turkey bun with my mom's coleslaw!

I don't have the recipe for the cauliflower salad but I could ask mom for it. Its made with raw cauliflower cottage cheese, sour cream and ranch dressing mix and then it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. So yummy!!

Last edited:
Mmmmm Okay maybe a salad isn't such a bad idea after all. The pretzel one sounds real yummy, thanks. Maybe I could suggest it and let THEM worry if it's a salad or a dessert :p

I'd LOVE the full recipe for the cauliflower one - maybe I'll give that one a go.

Thanks a bunch to both of you!

I have a "salad" recipe that you might enjoy. It's called tortellini salad, and it's mayo based. It obviously has tortellini in it; also broccoli, raisins, and sunflower seeds. This is always a hit with my family. If you'd like the recipe, let me know.

Diane

dianevill said:
I have a "salad" recipe that you might enjoy. It's called tortellini salad, and it's mayo based. It obviously has tortellini in it; also broccoli, raisins, and sunflower seeds. This is always a hit with my family. If you'd like the recipe, let me know.

Diane
I would like the recipe!!! :D

Sure, here you go (credit goes to www.allrecipes.com).

Tortellini and Broccoli Salad

INGREDIENTS:
6 slices bacon
20 ounces fresh cheese-filled tortellini
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
3 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup raisins
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 red onion, finely chopped (use small red onion; if it's a strong onion, I use half)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, and rinse under cold water.

3. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar to make the dressing.

4. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, tortellini, bacon, raisins, sunflower seeds and red onion. Pour dressing over salad, and toss.

Enjoy!
Diane

P.S. The original recipe calls for 1/2 c white sugar, but it makes it way too sweet. Also, I double the dressing ingredients called for above and mix in half when I prepare the salad, add the other half right before serving. It makes it creamier.

Grape Salad...Here is a salad that is soooo good - and so simple....and I can guarantee people will want the recipe!

Grape Salad

INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds seedless green & red grapes
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces chopped pecans
2 tablespoons brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:
Wash and dry grapes. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Add grapes and mix until evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans, mix again and refrigerate until serving.

re: pretzel saladThis is almost the same as the strawberry margarita squares and I love that one....

Flora

We make homemade coleslaw, It is a german recipe and so different from what everyone else makes. It is a tradition for Thanksgiving and christmas. but it is alot of work.

Flora

I can agree with the Grape Salad! My husband had this one year at a Church funtion and now he has me make it all the time. Very good, and the kids love it too.

Jodi, do you have the Super Salad recipe cards? There are LOTS of great salad recipes there, and we're not "salad" people.

I have a recipe similiar to the tortellini salad, but mine is just brocoli, bacon, sunflower seeds and dried cherries (BIG YUUUUUUMMMMMM.. Love them!).

This is a good Junior League recipe. Say what you want about us, but we can cook!!

Broccoli Salad

Broccoli (the original recipe says 1 head, but I usually get a "bundle" at the store (what every comes together. If separate stalks, grab several)
1 med spanish onion, thinly sliced
1 c dried Michigan cherries (hey,we are in Ann Arbor, have to support the locals)
1 c sunflower seeds
8-10 sliced bacon cooked and crumbled. (can't have too much bacon is my thought!)

Dressing
1 c mayo
1/2 c sugar (could use splenda)
2 T vinegar

Note... if you used splenda and fat free mayo, plus turkey bacon, this could be very healthy.

Cut up broccoli into florets (save the stems for stock or soup, or even to slice and use as crudite... yeah,sure... why, when there are perfectly good chips and crackers around!!)

Blanche broccoli, then plunge into cold water to cool and stop the cooking.
Combine dressing ingredients, mix with broccoli, onion, dried cherries and sunflower seeds. Add bacon just before serving.

This is one of the very few things that I made that my youngest would actually admit to liking when she was a teen. Classic battle of mother and daughter back then, little did she realize that I was perfect and always right (NOT!)

Last edited:
Have you tried the salad that is in the fall/winter Season's best?/ It is called Harvest Chicken Salad and it is WONDERFUL!!! I have been making it at all my fall shows and everyone loves it. I also took it to Thanksgiving and everyone thought it was great.

What are some popular salad recipes that I can make with Pampered Chef products?

Some popular salad recipes that can be made with Pampered Chef products include a classic Caesar salad using the Salad Chopper, a colorful chopped salad using the Veggie Spiralizer, and a refreshing fruit salad using the Citrus Press.

How do I properly wash and dry lettuce for a salad?

To properly wash and dry lettuce for a salad, fill a large bowl with cold water and add a splash of vinegar. Submerge the lettuce leaves and gently swish them around to remove any dirt or debris. Then, use a Salad & Berry Spinner to spin the leaves dry and remove any excess water.

What is the best way to chop vegetables for a salad?

The best way to chop vegetables for a salad is to use a Salad Chopper. Simply place the vegetables in a bowl and use the chopper to cut them into small, evenly sized pieces. This will ensure that all of the flavors are evenly distributed in the salad.

How can I make a healthier salad dressing at home?

To make a healthier salad dressing at home, use the Salad Dressing Mixer to mix together olive oil, vinegar, and your choice of herbs and spices. This will allow you to control the ingredients and avoid excess added sugars and preservatives found in store-bought dressings.

What are some tips for making a beautiful and presentable salad?

To make a beautiful and presentable salad, start by using a variety of colorful vegetables and fruits. Use the Crinkle Cutter to create fun and unique shapes, and use the Salad Spinner to make sure the ingredients are evenly coated in dressing. Finally, add toppings such as nuts or seeds for added texture and presentation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PampChefJoy
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • AJPratt
  • General Chat
Replies