• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ok, Nancy (Nanisu) Had Posted in Another Thread About Roaches at a

In summary, if you are the consultant and you find out there are roaches at the house you are visiting, the best thing to do is bring your tote into the house and let the roaches ride to your house. You are allowed to do the show, but make sure to check the food for hair before you eat it.
kam
Staff member
OK, Nancy (Nanisu) had posted in another thread about roaches at a host's house...so what do you DO in that situation???

You are bringing your consultant tote into the house, in which the roaches can catch a ride to your house!

I have to say this would be my biggest fear! (I am terrified of roaches to the point of crying - don't laugh. I know it is an irrational fear.)

So how does one handle a situation of going into someone's home and there are roaches crawling around? Are we allowed to back out of the show?

Just wondering what others would do (or have done) in this situation!

Re: Roaches???I thought roaches don't come out in the light... how embarrassing! ugh :confused:

Re: Roaches???I am allergic to roaches and also scared of them. I don't know what I would do in that situation.... Do the show and itch like crazy??

Re: Roaches???I had a show once where I saw some kind of a bug in the kitchen area not far from my bag and another one where there were ants all over the place.:yuck:

In both cases I left my bags in the car and unloaded them piece by piece to make sure nothing was hitching a ride and then checked the bags thoroughly. I also cleaned the car well to, just in case. I've never found bugs at my house or in my things yet - thank goodness!

Re: Roaches???I did a show once and there were ants crawling around all over the counters. I kept wiping them off with a wet paper towel and kept on cooking. Needless to say I didn't eat any of the food. The host HAD to know they were there. There were so many that they didn't just come in that day.
Also, when kids are at a show and want to help, keep in mind that their hair can easily end up in the food. I did a show and the hosts daughter kept wanting to stir the trifle dessert that her mom was making when I got there. She had long blonde hair and she was insistant on helping so the mom let her. When I started serving the dessert I saw a long blonde hair in the middle and freaked. I wasn't about to say anything so I kept my hand on the spoon and wrapped the hair up in my palm and kept serving. Didn't eat any of that either!

What do you rest of you do when you find hair in the food from one of the kids who insist on helping?? I'm not blonde so I know it wasn't mine! She was the only blonde person there who helped.

Re: Roaches???Ants can come out in one day. I had none this summer (never had them anywhere I have lived for 56 years) and got home Friday night to a "party" of about 100 all around my sink. I sprayed it down with Raid and killed them all. I used wet paper towels to "gather" the bodies! It was horrible! I had not had any at all! I have never had roaches either, thank goodness!

Re: Roaches???This might sound terrible but I wouldn't do the show, or at least I wouldn't prepare food in that environment. I would be bold and tell the host I can't prepare food with roaches here, it's not food safe. We don't have roaches were I live (to cold I think) I have only seen them on TV. I am very crazy about bugs and my surroundings have to be clean!! I know it might sound rude to some but I have my ethics in line, we own a restaurant and it's spotless as well.

I hope I don't offend anyone here!!!!

Re: Roaches???
rennea said:
I hope I don't offend anyone here!!!!

(Hope I didn't offend anyone with my starting post either...)

I would be tempted to say I couldn't do the show. Especially since I would be hyperventilating and crying throughout the show. You know how some people are claustophobic or afraid of heights? That is how I am with roaches!

I hadn't even thought of the possibility of running into roaches until I saw the post from Nanisu and then I started thinking about it...And believe it or not, DH is an exterminator, so I know that there are many homes in our general area with roaches. And if they are bad enough, they are out during the day!

I am assuming if we refuse to do a show, the host could report us to HO??

Re: Roaches???When I lived in SC, even the cleanest houses sometimes still had roaches. They make their way in through the drains. Most people I knew had a standing date with an exterminator to keep the roaches at bay.

Here in Michigan, roaches are not unheard of, but because of our climate, they aren't common either. The only places that have roaches are the filthy dirty places - like dirty, greasy-spoon restaurants, or public housing that is decrepit and unkept. If I saw a roach in a house where I was doing a show - I would be hauling my stuff out quickly...because I would know that the place probably needed to be condemned!:yuck::eek::yuck:

Re: Roaches???I went to a local restaurant with a friend for breakfast this morning. After we finished eating she saw a bug (said she was pretty sure it was a roach) in the napkin holder. I didn't see it because of my angle (and didn't try to see it either). She showed the waitress and she took the holder in the back. They didn't say sorry or anything.

When they asked how things were when we went to pay I said "Except for the bug..." - they totally ignored it. Guess where we won't be going anymore.

I still feel sick. :yuck:

BethCooks4U said:
I went to a local restaurant with a friend for breakfast this morning. After we finished eating she saw a bug (said she was pretty sure it was a roach) in the napkin holder. I didn't see it because of my angle (and didn't try to see it either). She showed the waitress and she took the holder in the back. They didn't say sorry or anything.

When they asked how things were when we went to pay I said "Except for the bug..." - they totally ignored it. Guess where we won't be going anymore.

I still feel sick. :yuck:

That sounds like the time my family went to eat at Gattiland (a kid/family pizza joint). We sat down in a booth in the tv room. I don't know what it was called. All the rooms had tvs and carpet on the floor and half-way up the wall. All of the rooms smelled like they survived (barely) flooding...of a bathroom.:yuck: I was grossed out ALREADY! However, it was the kids choice AND we had a coupon. Then on the wall by my second son's head I noticed a small hole in the wall. And wouldn't you know it a roach came out. I was soooo grossed out I said, "that's it we are leaving"!! Oh but that roach was only coming out to hang with his buddies who I then saw were crawling along the railing right next to us!! :eek:

I felt like vomitting!:yuck: My kids and husband had already had 1 plate of food. I hadn't had anything yet (you know mom always eats last after everyone else has everything they need). I started pulling the food away from my girls (4 and 1 yo at this time). But the kicker here is my husband is just sitting there calmly like I'm the crazy one!:grumpy:

Mind you, he did grow up in a home that had 3-4 in roaches all over the place. He even had one as a pet in Middle School. However, I'm having to insist we leave and he wants to finish his slice! I was never so grossed out in my life!!:yuck:

Re: Roaches???If I saw roaches at a host's house...I'm with Rennea. I would leave!! That's just too nasty! However, I did stay at the house with the mouse. Roaches though...ick! They just keep multiplying. If you brought them home you would be invested! YUCK!

Re: Roaches???Hi:
Nancy (nanisu) here. I came home, washed ALL my tools in the dishwasher--twice--and took a shower. I haven't spoken to the host-getting ready to email her and see how many "outside cookware orders" she really has. The whole show made me mad. The roaches and the rudeness of the guests really got to me--hey there's a new theme show" roaches and rudeness", LOL. Or maybe a new training topic for my team?

kam;547388I said:
am assuming if we refuse to do a show, the host could report us to HO??

Doesn't scare me! Remember it's our choice who we deal with!!!

Also I'm sure HO would understand:eek:

Nanisu said:
hey there's a new theme show" roaches and rudeness", LOL. Or maybe a new training topic for my team?
Too funny! :)

rennea said:
Doesn't scare me! Remember it's our choice who we deal with!!!
Also I'm sure HO would understand:eek:

I am actually sure I would have to leave.

DH comes home with HORRIFYING tales of roaches. He makes sure he doesn't bring any in the house. He says the thought of bringing any home and facing ME is more terrifying than the actual roaches! lol

Re: Roaches???Are these 'dirty homes' with hosts that you did Host Coaching over the phone or something? Does anyone do in-person host coaching so you can 'scope the place out' a little ahead of time? If they don't clean for a PARTY, you know they won't for just you. :yuck: I'm nervous! I think I'm going to put a Neat-Sheet and an unlabeled canister of Lysol Sanitizing wipes in my bag! I figure I'll use the Neat-sheet on the floor and say "I don't want to risk scuffing/marking up your floors, or any leaks." and then wipe the cooking area with the wipes. "I do this at all my shows." But I'm praying it doesn't ever happen to me! (Especially the roaches or pet-'stuff'!)

Re: Roaches???If a host is willing I have them email pictures to me of the space that we will be using. That way I am well prepared.

Try snakes!Be glad it is only roaches. I came home from a show one night to see a
snake crawling out of my tote. I know it was probably in the dark brown carpet and no one saw it. Imagine what I would have done if it had crawled out while I was driving home. Never went to that house again.

Re: Roaches???Ok, I would have totally wet myself if I found a snake in my tote......

Re: Roaches???I'm so relieved to read about others who are as terrified of roaches as I am. I would have to absolutely walk away. As far as the comments above on the vermin found in restaurants, with little response from the employees, oh yeah I'd be contacting the City Health Department to file that complaint. Watch those scores plummet!!

Re: Try snakes!
dhclemons said:
Be glad it is only roaches. I came home from a show one night to see a
snake crawling out of my tote. I know it was probably in the dark brown carpet and no one saw it. Imagine what I would have done if it had crawled out while I was driving home. Never went to that house again.

OMG I would seriously sh*t myself. I'm freaking out just thinking about that. I would never be able to look in the tote again.

I'm a big brawny guy but am a wuss when it comes to critters. One day there was a mouse in my classroom and I jumped up on my stool like a big ole girl. He crawled over to the area where my bag was and I made a student go look in it to make sure it wasn't there. I had to give him extra credit!

leftymac said:
OMG I would seriously sh*t myself. I'm freaking out just thinking about that. I would never be able to look in the tote again.

I'm a big brawny guy but am a wuss when it comes to critters. One day there was a mouse in my classroom and I jumped up on my stool like a big ole girl. He crawled over to the area where my bag was and I made a student go look in it to make sure it wasn't there. I had to give him extra credit!

LOL! So that's how you get extra credit. Wish I'd known that in school!:D

My younger brother is a wuss like that too about little creepy crawlie things - which I find ironic, since he spent his younger years in 4-H with cows, and during fair week, would often sleep right in the stall with them. "Sooo, big cows that will poop on you, and step on top of you, and head-butt you aren't scary....but a mouse is?" But, he makes no apologies!:rolleyes:

leftymac said:
This honestly made me LOL. I can totally picture you doing that. :D

Of course, I'd be doing it, too.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL! So that's how you get extra credit. Wish I'd known that in school!:D

My younger brother is a wuss like that too about little creepy crawlie things - which I find ironic, since he spent his younger years in 4-H with cows, and during fair week, would often sleep right in the stall with them. "Sooo, big cows that will poop on you, and step on top of you, and head-butt you aren't scary....but a mouse is?" But, he makes no apologies!:rolleyes:

Three years later and my kids STILL tease me about it!

leftymac said:
Three years later and my kids STILL tease me about it!

I'm not so sure that WE won't be teasing you about this in three years.LOL
I think I would have done the same thing...of course I'm not a guy. So, why is it that everyone looks at it that way? Does it hurt less if a guy gets a bite from some critter? Uh, I'm thinkin, I am MUCH better at pain than my hubby. He got stung by a bee, for the first time, about 3 weeks ago. He is 33 and I thought that he was gonna break down in tears and he whinned about it for a week. It was between his toes so it was in a sensitive place, plus this shoes didn't help, but still.
He talked about how horrible it was when I was in labor, how he would be screaming and how he would have passed out (he almost did) when they came in to give me my epidural. I didn't even start hurting until I was between 8 and 9 cin. with all three of my kids!!
Maybe we've had it backwards all of these years!

dhclemons said:
Be glad it is only roaches. I came home from a show one night to see a

OMG:eek: I would have burned the tote!

Re: Roaches???Snakes and roaches I can probably handle, but if someone's house was infested with spiders...that would be it for me!

leftymac said:

I would have died laughing at this! Too funny. :D

1. How can I prevent roaches from infesting my kitchen?

To prevent roaches from infesting your kitchen, it is important to keep your kitchen clean and free of food debris. Make sure to regularly sweep, mop, and wipe down all surfaces. Store food in airtight containers and promptly clean up any spills or crumbs. Additionally, sealing any cracks or openings where roaches can enter can help prevent an infestation.

2. What are some natural remedies for getting rid of roaches?

Some natural remedies for getting rid of roaches include using a mixture of equal parts baking soda and sugar, placing bay leaves or cucumber peels in areas where roaches are present, and using a mixture of vinegar and water as a cleaning solution. It is important to note that these remedies may not completely eliminate a roach infestation and it may be necessary to use professional pest control methods.

3. How do I know if I have a roach infestation?

Some signs of a roach infestation include seeing live roaches, finding their droppings (which resemble coffee grounds), noticing a musty or oily odor, and seeing egg casings or dead roaches. If you suspect a roach infestation, it is best to consult a pest control professional for proper identification and treatment.

4. What is the best way to get rid of roaches?

The best way to get rid of roaches will depend on the severity of the infestation. In most cases, it is recommended to seek professional pest control services to effectively eliminate roaches. However, keeping a clean and sanitary kitchen, sealing any entry points, and using natural remedies may also help in preventing and reducing the presence of roaches.

5. Can roaches contaminate food?

Yes, roaches can contaminate food with their saliva, feces, and body parts, which may carry harmful bacteria. It is important to properly store food and promptly clean up any spills or crumbs to prevent roaches from contaminating your food. If you suspect your food has been contaminated by roaches, it is best to discard it to avoid potential health risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• feather18
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
feather18
  • Brenda.the.chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nancynap
  • pampered.chris