• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Octuplet Mom - This Is an Outrage!

badly). But this woman went and had SEVEN more children just for the heck of it, and the taxpayers are going to be stuck with the bill. This woman is out of her mind and needs help.
negativitysucks said:
Debbie,
I never said I hate smokers. And many Christians who hold the Bible as the absolute truth and use Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, still eat pork, shrimp, and wear clothing of mixed fibers (all mortal sins, if we should believe the "absolute truth").
My partner, an ordained rabbi, would like to know how many slaves you have. Slaves are allowed and common in the Bible. And how many wives does your husband have. Several are common in the Bible. So is stoning your daughter to death for disobedience. These "absolute truths" don't play well in my house.
If you choose to hold a Bible as a shield between yourself and the truth, please be prepared to utilize it in its entirety. Not just pick and choose to suit your faith.
I don't wish to escalate this into a war, so please, enjoy your faith, but please allow me to enjoy the rights I deserve. Not what you think I should have. I don't do that to you.

I think Debbie is just saying that she has the right to express her beliefs the same way that you do.

ChefBeckyD said:
I think Debbie is just saying that she has the right to express her beliefs the same way that you do.

"those things that are specifically mentioned in scripture as right or wrong cannot be ignored and must be presented as truth to EVERYONE!"

Actually, what I read was that people have the right to pick and choose and present it as irrefutable evidence of absolute truth in order to justify social stigma.

But yes, everyone is entitled to express beliefs, challenge others, and be challenged as a result. I don't happen to use a book to justify my feelings about others. And I resent it when others do. That's my belief. And I think I expressed it quite well.

Thank you.

alright ya'll.....I appreciate your thoughts on this and I'd like you to continue your debate...but please start a new thread just for it. thanks :)

negativitysucks said:
Debbie,
I never said I hate smokers. And many Christians who hold the Bible as the absolute truth and use Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, still eat pork, shrimp, and wear clothing of mixed fibers (all mortal sins, if we should believe the "absolute truth").
My partner, an ordained rabbi, would like to know how many slaves you have. Slaves are allowed and common in the Bible. And how many wives does your husband have. Several are common in the Bible. So is stoning your daughter to death for disobedience. These "absolute truths" don't play well in my house.
If you choose to hold a Bible as a shield between yourself and the truth, please be prepared to utilize it in its entirety. Not just pick and choose to suit your faith.
I don't wish to escalate this into a war, so please, enjoy your faith, but please allow me to enjoy the rights I deserve. Not what you think I should have. I don't do that to you.

Ok please don't get upset. First let me try to clarify some things. I never said you hate smokers, I was just implying that it is not hateful to share truths that are beneficial and helpful. My faith is beneficial and helpful so I share it.

Second you must understand there is an old testament and a new testament in the bible. And although I believe the whole bible is God's word and meant to teach and edify us, we know Jesus came in the New Testament to make known the truths that should apply to us NOW!
When the pharisees approached Jesus trying to trap him and asked him about divorce:
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
So you see Jesus came to change things that were only permitted for a time because of the sinful culture and hardness of their hearts. He went one step further and even said if you look on a woman/man with lust you commit adultery with her in your heart.
No I do not own slaves, unless you can count my kids. LOL
But I am a slave to Christ and a slave to righteousness. The Israelites were made slaves to Egypt because they disobeyed God and rebelled. It was their punishment. The evil of slavery has been around a long time and God being good and merciful put certain laws into place to protect them. He cannot force all men to stop sinning, so he instructed them to be fair. Today it is estimated that there are 12.3 million slaves in the world today. And in biblical times slavery was not about race, it was about social class. The poor were slaves to pay debts or earn pay. Slavery also is considered just being a slave to a boss. Sound familiar? Thank you PC for giving us freedom from slavery to corporate America.
Ok back to the next thing, no I would not stone my daughter to death. Again Jesus came and said that we are to love our neighbors as ourselves (including children). And again Jesus came and told us that marriage is between one man and one woman. Not several. While polygamy was allowed in the OT for several reasons, I can explain those privately to keep from writing a novel, it is no longer allowed.
He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? Matthew 19:4-5 Wife not wives in plural. Also read I Timothy 3:2, Titus 1:6 to read about what God expects from church leaders to be the husbands of ONE wife. So that has been abolished.
So as you can see I do not pick and choose what I want to believe. And I am by no means perfect but I pray that the Lord will allow me to follow after him in Truth and through his Word. And it's not what I think, it's what God says. It is HIS word, not mine. I am just his mouthpiece. And the bible is my Sword and my faith is my shield! The armor of God. Hope this helps you to understand where I stand. And yes I was just trying to state that we should all be allowed to share our opinions!!

Debbie :chef:

My last word on this matter is that Jesus NEVER mentions homosexuality in the Bible. Never.Further discussion should be continued elsewhere.

negativitysucks said:
My last word on this matter is that Jesus NEVER mentions homosexuality in the Bible. Never.

Further discussion should be continued elsewhere.

Clever way to get the last word so I'm going to copy you! LOL
My last word on this matter is that Jesus NEVER mentions that homosexuality is ok! He also specifically tells us that marriage is between a man and a woman, that is pretty clear. If there is no marriage there is no other relationship. And yes further discussion can be started elsewhere or pm me! God bless you Frank!

Debbie :D

Thanks for the diversion...now, back to the octomom...

btw - I've seen many a debater go up against Debbie, you've got your work cut out for you if you want to win.... :) she's good

Back to this issue at hand. It is unfortunate for these children that they will not have a father. Does every household have a father? Of course not, there are many single mothers (I was once one) with broken families. But is it right? Of course not.
Every child needs a mother and a father. It's not necessary to survive, no but it is necessary for a child to thrive and function to his fullest capacity knowing both his mother and father.
It's funny to see my children come to me for certain things and to my husband for others. We have different roles to play in this household. It is a shame she never married the man who is now their father. What a terrible decision if he really loved her and he must not be such a bad person if she asked him to help impregnate her.
It will be a drain on society and yes 14 kids won't make such a huge dent when there are millions of kids on welfare. And yes it is welfare. It is a temporary help for those who are willing to better themselves, not a bank account for those who are irresponsible and selfish. I am going to have my sixth child in July. I would not have had 6 children if we didn't have income to provide for them. And my husband would work 5 jobs and never eat or sleep to provide for us! Thank you Lord for a godly husband. I pray she finds one too.

I agree Debbie - but I'm afraid that she will never have time to date and any man would probably run fast when he finds out how namy children she has. What I want to know is what kind of vehicle does she drive? What kind of vehicle will hold that many car seats? I believe at least 3 of her other children are still in car seats and now she needs 8 more - holy cow! Can you imagine what it's like strapping that many kids in and out? Just think about when they turn 2 and they like to run from you - eight 2 y/o running from you in the parking lot in all different directions ...yikes!

I dont watch J&K +8 very often but I saw 1 episode where it took both of them about 1 hr just to get the kids in the car. (although I may be wrong)

pamperedlinda said:

LOL at "octomom"

I've also seen her referred to as "Clown Car" on the internet. It's a pretty accurate visual of how the delivery room must have looked.

pamperedlinda said:
I agree Debbie - but I'm afraid that she will never have time to date and any man would probably run fast when he finds out how namy children she has. What I want to know is what kind of vehicle does she drive? What kind of vehicle will hold that many car seats? I believe at least 3 of her other children are still in car seats and now she needs 8 more - holy cow! Can you imagine what it's like strapping that many kids in and out? Just think about when they turn 2 and they like to run from you - eight 2 y/o running from you in the parking lot in all different directions ...yikes!

I've been up the last 5 nights for most of the night w/ a 4 yr old with a severe case of bronchitis. He coughs so hard and so long at night, that he throws up. I'm worn out from him being sick. I cannot imagine having several sick like that at the same time - and trying to handle it all by myself. I really think she is living in a dream world. She says she will have help from volunteers....but once the novelty runs out, how long will her volunteers stick around to help?

And - we (DH and I) were sorta wondering how much she is getting paid to do these interviews?

Oh - and I really like how she says that once she graduates, she'll be able to support her children on her own. Hmm, what makes her so sure of that? There are many many people with advanced degrees who are struggling to find jobs right now...

pamperedlinda said:

Well as much as everyone likes to call this mother a good mom, it seems grandma is taking the brunt of the responsibility with feeding, sleeping arrangements and probably a million other things. She didn't seem to mind that her kids would be alone while she spent, I don't know how many weeks in the hospital on bed rest pregnant with her 8 more kids!
And yes I have five kids, and thank the Lord with two older kids we manage to get everyone strapped in quickly because we have a plan. My oldest son (12) straps his younger brother (3), my oldest daughter (11) straps her younger sister (4 1/2) and I strap in my 18 month old son! You should see us shopping! I have to use two carts with my son steering one very close behind me. Usually though I can go alone or with only one or two kids to get groceries when daddy is home. But I don't mind taking all of them. Our friend jokes that one day we'll be driving a little yellow bus!! LOL
I think this lady might invest in a big yellow bus to haul those kids to and from appt. and school.

ChefBeckyD said:
....And - we (DH and I) were sorta wondering how much she is getting paid to do these interviews?......

Not sure about all of them - but NBC said that they did not pay her -Ann Curry & Matt Lauer addressed that this morning on the Today show

pamperedlinda said:
Not sure about all of them - but NCB said that they did not pay her

Nope - they just set up a link to a bank account for people to make donations. :rolleyes:(Anne Curry announced that at the end of Dateline last night.)

ChefBeckyD said:
I've been up the last 5 nights for most of the night w/ a 4 yr old with a severe case of bronchitis. He coughs so hard and so long at night, that he throws up. I'm worn out from him being sick. I cannot imagine having several sick like that at the same time - and trying to handle it all by myself. I really think she is living in a dream world. She says she will have help from volunteers....but once the novelty runs out, how long will her volunteers stick around to help?

And - we (DH and I) were sorta wondering how much she is getting paid to do these interviews?

Oh - and I really like how she says that once she graduates, she'll be able to support her children on her own. Hmm, what makes her so sure of that? There are many many people with advanced degrees who are struggling to find jobs right now...

I totally agree. You don't make plans and count your chickens before they hatch. That is so irresponsible and something my 4 1/2 year old does all the time. I have to explain that things must be set in motion first before she starts planning things. I think she may have a better understanding of this than this mother who is living in fantasy land!

I remember the brief period of time when DS was @3 when he would fight me while I was trying to get him in the car seat - we'd both be a sweaty mess (and I'd be really po'd once I got him in there (you know the ole arch your back trick so mom can't buckle me in....) I just cannot imagine going through that 8 times while keeping my eye on the other 7....do they make a stroller for 8 - there's just no way she can do this....she will have a nervous breakdown.

ChefBeckyD said:
Nope - they just set up a link to a bank account for people to make donations. :rolleyes:(Anne Curry announced that at the end of Dateline last night.)

I missed that I'm gonna go look

Unfortunately, mentally ill people do not process information and take action in a logical fashion all the time. It's not them, it's their brain chemistry.

IMO the octomom is delusional and is not capable of thinking about the practicalities, just the fantasy of having all these children give her the love and sense of community she feels she did not have as a child.

pamperedlinda said:
I remember the brief period of time when DS was @3 when he would fight me while I was trying to get him in the car seat - we'd both be a sweaty mess (and I'd be really po'd once I got him in there (you know the ole arch your back trick so mom can't buckle me in....) I just cannot imagine going through that 8 times while keeping my eye on the other 7....do they make a stroller for 8 - there's just no way she can do this....she will have a nervous breakdown.

Maybe forget the stroller and buy a couple of huge carts from Sam's and try to put blankets to seperate them. LOL

Like I said before I think she is relying entirely too much on Grandma who is getting upset and frustrated. That might not last much longer for grandma's sake and sanity. And these volunteers, I hope they are trustworthy and can stick it out. She sounds very selfish.

pamperedlinda said:

btw - I've seen many a debater go up against Debbie, you've got your work cut out for you if you want to win.... :) she's good

i was going to say the same thing. wow!

susanr613 said:
Unfortunately, mentally ill people do not process information and take action in a logical fashion all the time. It's not them, it's their brain chemistry. IMO the octomom is delusional and is not capable of thinking about the practicalities, just the fantasy of having all these children give her the love and sense of community she feels she did not have as a child.
That sums up A LOT of what I saw. I compared her to a teenager with the fantasy of being a mom, but not having the maturity to understand the good and the bad.She thinks of the love and hugs and stuff, but forgets about the sickness, poopy diapers, fights between siblings, etc., etc.She is not processing 100%. ...and given her past mental diagnosis, I don't think she's stable in a mental/emotional sense. She is definitely not in touch with reality 100%.

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:

I am so sorry to hear about your sickness. I am just getting over strep throat and my 18 month old is getting over an ear infection. Sleepless nights, fighting him to take his nasty medicine, diarrhea from the antibiotics, going through 10,000 tissues, and with 14 kids! WOW.

I hope your little one is feeling better. I am glad our sickness didn't spread.

pamperedlinda said:
I missed that I'm gonna go look

I couldn't find it - it's a busy website.

pamperedlinda said:
I couldn't find it - it's a busy website.

ooops, I was on the Today site, not DAteline - I found it.

DebbieSAChef said:
I am so sorry to hear about your sickness. I am just getting over strep throat and my 18 month old is getting over an ear infection. Sleepless nights, fighting him to take his nasty medicine, diarrhea from the antibiotics, going through 10,000 tissues, and with 14 kids! WOW.

LOL - that sums up our life right now. I've actually had it too - but what started out as a virus for both of us went into a bacterial infection for him. Poor little guy. He had diarrhea the other day from the meds - and came to me saying "Mommy, sometimes big boys make mistakes...I think I made a mistake and went potty in my pants...I didn't mean to Mommy, it was just a mistake..." I had to just hug him and tell him that I knew he didn't mean it, and help him get cleaned up and on the potty...he was just mortified that he had messed in his pants...

Which leads into - there is no way in this world I would want to potty train 8 toddlers at the same time!:eek:

cookingwithlove said:
Warning --- RANT
I don't usually rant, but this woman is the essence of everything that I find wrong with people in our society. There is no accountability for her actions and she has a heightened sense of entitlement. She wanted children so she had them, without a care for how she was going to provide for them. Children are not a right and they are not toys. They are little humans that will grow up and enter society. Children require the dedication of a committed family to teach them right from wrong and help them become productive members of society. If we raise everyone with a sense of entitlement, where will we be? Nobody wanting to work for their wants and expecting everyone else to provide for them. It is not our neighbors' jobs to pay for our wants.
Is the doctor wrong, yes! Should he be investigated, yes, but there are rules in medicine that bar you from making decision based on personal opinions and refusing service to an individual. You cannot claim my body, my right without blaming her. She is ultimately to blame, it is her body and she decided to do this. I feel for those who will be caught in the fall out, the residents of her state, her mother, the children, and also other couples who would love to conceive a child. Hopefully, this situation will result in the revamping of infertility practices, but that is a rant for another time.

Couldn't have said it better, I totally agree with you.

The nut job is so enjoying the spotlight right now, it is so wrong!!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - that sums up our life right now. I've actually had it too - but what started out as a virus for both of us went into a bacterial infection for him. Poor little guy. He had diarrhea the other day from the meds - and came to me saying "Mommy, sometimes big boys make mistakes...I think I made a mistake and went potty in my pants...I didn't mean to Mommy, it was just a mistake..." I had to just hug him and tell him that I knew he didn't mean it, and help him get cleaned up and on the potty...he was just mortified that he had messed in his pants...

Which leads into - there is no way in this world I would want to potty train 8 toddlers at the same time!:eek:

AWWWWW how sad for that little guy! I wish I could give him a hug too.

I'm just happy my 18 month old hasn't wanted to take off his pamper after diarrhea and have me chase him and put him in the bathtub. EWWWW! :yuck:

I hate potty training! And yes 8 kids, that's disgusting! LOL Not to mention stressful. How do you fit 8 potty seats in two bathrooms? Or did they have three bathrooms in that house!

janetupnorth said:
She thinks of the love and hugs and stuff, but forgets about the sickness, poppy diapers, fights between siblings, etc., etc.
Eeeuuuwww.... all I can picture now is an open diaper with little brown lumps jumping off it, and onto everything else in the room. :yuck:

chefann said:
Eeeuuuwww.... all I can picture now is an open diaper with little brown lumps jumping off it, and onto everything else in the room. :yuck:

Oops...going back to correct that and laughing!

DebbieSAChef said:

One of best pieces of advice my Grandmother (she had 5 kids) ever gave me was when one got a cold or the flu she put them all in the same bed so everyone was sick at the same time and they got it over with all at once.
Of course this doesn't apply to serious illnesses, but I do this with my 3 boys. Somebody coughs or feels icky then they all share their juice cups. It's hard to have all 3 of them sick, but it beats passing bugs around all winter.

As to octomom, I have no comment because I'm still so blown away by the whole debacle.

cookingwithlove said:
Warning --- RANT
I don't usually rant, but this woman is the essence of everything that I find wrong with people in our society. There is no accountability for her actions and she has a heightened sense of entitlement. She wanted children so she had them, without a care for how she was going to provide for them. Children are not a right and they are not toys. They are little humans that will grow up and enter society. Children require the dedication of a committed family to teach them right from wrong and help them become productive members of society. If we raise everyone with a sense of entitlement, where will we be? Nobody wanting to work for their wants and expecting everyone else to provide for them. It is not our neighbors' jobs to pay for our wants.

Is the doctor wrong, yes! Should he be investigated, yes, but there are rules in medicine that bar you from making decision based on personal opinions and refusing service to an individual. You cannot claim my body, my right without blaming her. She is ultimately to blame, it is her body and she decided to do this. I feel for those who will be caught in the fall out, the residents of her state, her mother, the children, and also other couples who would love to conceive a child. Hopefully, this situation will result in the revamping of infertility practices, but that is a rant for another time.

This has been my biggest issue, because I live in that state and because we have not been lucky enough to have number 2. During the last year we have experienced 5 losses. It frustrates me to no end that she can have so many children w/ no income. Well except for what my taxes pay for.

I guess it just goes to show you life is not fair and Yah I get to pay for someone else's mistakes. Okay off my soap box.

I am sorry about your losses Amanda.

ChefBeckyD said:

It is my understanding that NBC didn't set up that website...her manager did.

Now there's a whole other topic about people who are living off of other people...I'm guessing she didn't have a 'manager' when she was an unemployed student with 6 kids. This guy sounds like a creep too.

Jean DeVries said:
It is my understanding that NBC didn't set up that website...her manager did.

Now there's a whole other topic about people who are living off of other people...I'm guessing she didn't have a 'manager' when she was an unemployed student with 6 kids. This guy sounds like a creep too.

No - I said that NBC set up a LINK to it. They have a link on their Dateline Website to her site so you can donate, and announced that link on Dateline last night.

Yeah = and who is paying her manager?

susanr613 said:
I am sorry about your losses Amanda.

Thank you Susan, there's one big difference between me & this lady I buy chics to feed my wants/desires. They are much cheaper and I can handle 8+ easily. LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/ap_on_re_us/octuplets;_ylt=AsS8b2pccTOMnfBSXvAMEHgDW7oF

http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com

I find this whole situation to be unbelievably sad. This woman just really comes across as a whack job and I feel horribly for her children. Thank goodness we are exempt from paying California taxes as military residents living elsewhere. I'm sorry but I don't think she deserves a dime from anyone.....

My gut reaction was right. This wacko is nuts!!! She has no clue of the real world, is looking for handouts, and doesn't care who she steamrolls over in her path...especially her 14 children. I wonder how long before some state agency comes in and removes them??? I thought I heard that the hospital is now asking the state to pay all the medical bills (!)...owwww. I can't imagine that bill. When my daughter was born, she spent 3 weeks in the NICU, went through many different tests, transfusions, etc. and our hospital bill was over $480,000:eek:. Thankfully we had insurance and it was covered, but I can tell you without ins. we would have been sunk!! (My daughter is now 11YO and thriving--in school (straight A's:balloon:), tons of activities and friends!) I feel so sorry for those poor innocent children that are being dragged into this situation. Sad, just sad.

Another thing that I find odd about this woman is that NO ONE has stood up for her. Where are her friends, family, church family, all these people who she is counting on to help her? None of them are coming to her aide and saying that she is a good person and a good mom - the only person that says that about her is her. I'm also curious what percentage of the money donated on her website goes to pay her lawyers and public relations people? Those poor babies....

cookingwithlove said:
Warning --- RANT

I couldn't agree with you more and it is even sadder for me to say that I have a sister who is going to have child #6. Normally I have no issues with the number of children a person has, IF they have the means to pay for ALL of them. The Octuplet Mom and my sister clearly do not have the means to pay for them. It makes me so angry that people like them get everything handed to them and even worse is they expect it like it is a right that should just get! Where the rest of us have to work our butts off to provide for our children! I don't mind providing for my kids and I am proud to say that I can, but I also won't/ wouldn't have any more if I knew I couldn't afford them.

Ok, done now. It still makes me angry. :mad:

pamperedlinda said:

In my state, kids need to be in some sort of booster seat until age 8 (regardless of weight):eek: Guess CA taxpayers will paying for a mini-schoolbus too!
I caught bits & pieces of the Dateline show - it struck me as incredibly sad that they mentioned that she has a hard time even remembering their names - of course she knows their middle names because they all have the same one (Angel).

I'm curious about something. If the sperm donor is known to her (a former boyfriend, I believe I read) who knowingly 'fathered' all 14 children for her. Why isn't he considered financially liable for these children? Maybe CA is different, but in GA the state will go after the 'father' if the state has to pay for any support. My brother was in a 'relationship' which produced a child. The mother did not list him on the birth certificate as the father. When she had to apply for state assistance she had to list him so therefore, the state came to my brother for reimbursement (rightfully so). So why is her sperm donor any different in this situation - other than the actual 'act', the end result is the same. To me, this situation is different that buying sperm form an unknown donor at a sperm bank - this guy knew where and why his 'goods' were going to be used for.

I really don't see how it's any different from going to a sperm bank and donating sperm. She just happened to know the donor, I don't think he should be held accountable for what she did with the sperm. Did he know she was going to use it to fertalize so many eggs? Also, it was probably under contract that he's not liable for the children.

pamperedlinda said:
I'm curious about something. If the sperm donor is known to her (a former boyfriend, I believe I read) who knowingly 'fathered' all 14 children for her. Why isn't he considered financially liable for these children? Maybe CA is different, but in GA the state will go after the 'father' if the state has to pay for any support. My brother was in a 'relationship' which produced a child. The mother did not list him on the birth certificate as the father. When she had to apply for state assistance she had to list him so therefore, the state came to my brother for reimbursement (rightfully so). So why is her sperm donor any different in this situation - other than the actual 'act', the end result is the same. To me, this situation is different that buying sperm form an unknown donor at a sperm bank - this guy knew where and why his 'goods' were going to be used for.

I posted a similar question on another forum. He made his donation, and probably figured that, after 1 or 2 successful births, that the extra embryos had been disposed of. I know if I were in that situation, it would be my expectation. Can you image his surprise if he were to be hit for child support for 14 children? :eek:

There's news coming out that octomom put false information in the birth certificates, which is a class C felony in California, punishable by up to 3 years in prison (I don't know if that's per case, though).

chefann said:
....There's news coming out that octomom put false information in the birth certificates, which is a class C felony in California, punishable by up to 3 years in prison (I don't know if that's per case, though).

I hadn't heard that - what did she falsify?

pamperedlinda said:

poor guy!! Bet he wishes his giddyup didn't have so much gusto!

Also, there is a monthly fee for all "deposits". I know my family members are paying like $40/month for his swimmers to be housed. That doesn't include the $150 each time he made a "deposit". So, if these "donations" were the same ones that "fathered" her older children, how in the world was she able make those monthly payments when she can't even buy groceries?:rolleyes:

pamperedlinda said:
I hadn't heard that - what did she falsify?

Someone posted this on another forum I frequent. The info about the falsification is just under the links to videos.

ABC News: Supporters Donate to Octuplets' Web Site, California Could Foot Hospital Bill
Supporters Donate to Octuplets' Web Site, California Could Foot Hospital Bill

Octuplets' Hospital Bill Could Reach $1 Mil; Costs Go Up From There

By MIKE VON FREMD and LEE FERRAN
Feb. 11, 2009

The public relations firm representing Nadya Suleman, mother of the famous California octuplets, launched a Web site that allows visitors to donate to the family.

Outrage is growing that the hospital bill may become taxpayers' problem.

The response has been excellent," Mike Furtney, a spokesman for the family, told ABC News. According to Furtney, "hundreds" of people have generously responded.
"Actually, a farmer in the Midwest said, 'They can live with us,'" Furtney said. "There have been many similar spots."
Others, he said, have been "very direct and vocal" with criticism.
"We understand that people will not agree with us ... [but] this is a nation known for its charitable behavior, generosity and tolerance. We hope people that share that thought will work with us to help Nadya and the children."

The Web site, called the Nadya Suleman Family Web site, lists the pictures, names and weights of all eight newborns and allows supporters to donate money directly online or send items to a Los Angeles address provided by Suleman's public relations representative, the Killeen Furtney Group.
"We thank you from the bottom of our hearts," reads a note on the Web site from "Nadya Suleman and children." "[The babies] are all healthy and growing stronger by the day."
The Web site's launch comes after reports emerged concerning the staggering financial burden the octuplets' family may lay on the state of California, including a possible $1 million hospital bill.
Suleman's octuplets, born Jan. 26, are expected to stay in the hospital for several weeks under close watch before being released.

Related
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/spl_sulemand_octuplets_090204_mc.jpg Octuplet Grandma Calls Daughter 'Unconscionable'

Gifts Not Pouring In for the Octuplets

Is Eight Too Much? Ethics Experts Weigh In

The bill is the latest facet of the growing controversy surrounding the octuplets' birth that also includes accusations by the octuplets' grandfather that their mother falsified birth certificates by listing a fake name, David Solomon, as the kids' father.
Falsifying birth certificates is a felony, punishable by a maximum of three years in jail.

Like the Babies, Costs Multiply

Premature babies cost an average of 15 times more that full-term babies in their first year of life, generally accruing more than $40,000 in bills for extended hospital stays, more outpatient visits and generally more medical needs, according to a 2005 report by the March of Dimes.

March of Dimes medical director Dr. Alan Fleischman expects Suleman's record-breaking eight babies, who were born nine weeks premature, to ring up a hospital medical bill "somewhere between $700,000 and $1 million."
It's a bill that could fall on the state of California, which is $42 billion in debt.
Suleman's octuplets qualify for Medi-Cal, the state's health-care program for the poor, meaning the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Bellflower, where the octuplets are staying, can request reimbursement for treatment. According to the Los Angeles Times, they've done just that.
"With our economy the way it is, with California going to hell in a handbasket, why should I be excited about this?" one of Suleman's neighbors, an 87-year-old woman, told "Good Morning America" a few days after the babies' birth.
Under Medi-Cal, Kaiser Permanente could already be eligible for around $150,000, conservatively, for the babies' stay so far, not including delivery that included 46 staff members and four delivery rooms, the Times reported. If they stay for 12 weeks, which is a possibility, that number is likely to climb north of $800,000.

<h2>1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?</h2><p>The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.</p><h2>2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?</h2><p>It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.</p><h2>3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?</h2><p>At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.</p><h2>4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?</h2><p>The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.</p><h2>5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?</h2><p>The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.</p>

1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?

The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.

2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?

It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.

3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?

At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.

4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?

The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.

5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?

The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • pampered.chris