• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Octuplet Mom - This Is an Outrage!

badly). But this woman went and had SEVEN more children just for the heck of it, and the taxpayers are going to be stuck with the bill. This woman is out of her mind and needs help.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstories/?Octuplets-Mother-is-Obsessed-with-Childr=1&blockID=196258&feedID=1198

This woman is seriously not all there. I feel sorry for the taxpayers in her state, because that is who will have to support her children eventually. I think the state should sue the doctor that helped her and make him support these children. These children are innocent and their mom has already cast a bad light on them. Some people are just screwed up!

Last edited:
I agree, as more information is coming out about this story, it's totally crazy. I really do believe that while people can have embryos implanted they do need to limit how many! It's not natural for humans to have litters.

Idiot breeders. She should have been given a mandatory hysterectomy when they delivered the octuplets, IMO. I think anyone who purposely has that many children should be banned from receiving governmental assistance until all the children are over 25 and moved out of the house permanently.That's my opinion- your mileage may vary.

I agree Ann - she should be - but she won't. The children are innocent and they are the ones who will be punished. I'm sure there are more details to come from this.

I could have sworn in an earlier story that they said her husband was in Iraq or Afghanistan....hmmm...the plot thickens. Can't wait for them to interview the doctor....how much you wanna be he's also the donor? I hear a book/movie deal coming her way....:yuck:

pamperedlinda said:
I agree Ann - she should be - but she won't. The children are innocent and they are the ones who will be punished. I'm sure there are more details to come from this.

I could have sworn in an earlier story that they said her husband was in Iraq or Afghanistan....hmmm...the plot thickens. Can't wait for them to interview the doctor....how much you wanna be he's also the donor? I hear a book/movie deal coming her way....:yuck:

I thought I heard that too, now it sounds like it's HER dad that is in Iraq and that she is divorced and used a donor.

One report I read said that they could have put in as little as 5 embryos to have 8 children. What stupid doctor would allow that?!?!?! She already has 6 children, just implant a few. It wasn't like she couldn't have children or didn't have any already.

This angers me. I am sure she is counting on all of the $$ to be made from TV appearances, etc...to fund this. She lives in a 3 bedroom house with her mother, and her father supports them all by working as a translator in Iraq (now there's a safe job!:eek:). How crazy is that?

What kind of person knowingly becomes pregnant by unnatural means with what is sure to be multiples when she doesn't even have any type of secure income of her own? It's not like this was because she had a husband and they wanted to have children, and it's not like she didn't already have enough children to raise. What kind of DR would implant that many embryos into a woman who already has 6 children - and no income? The whole situation is insane!

I told my DH yesterday that I'm waiting for them all to come out with it being a scam & that there aren't any babies. I definitely think that there is a lot of fishy stuff going on here. The mom's dad was on the radio talking at home, so I don't think that he's in Iraq or gone anywhere.

Personally, I think the whole situation is disgusting.

This is nuts!!!

And what kind of doctor does this especially when she allready had 6 kids!

I suspect someones liscense will come under review!

I have to agree with all of you. I feel so bad for the poor babies, and I can't imagine a legitimate doc who would implant that amount of embryos. I know one of the docs they interviewed said she came to their practice in her 1st trimester. How the heck does she plan to take care of all those kids?

I don't know much about the story but I did hear that it is her father that is in his native country of Iraq working. She also lives with her parents and works at the fertility clinic where she was implanted.

I don't any more of the story other than what was provided in the above link, so maybe I'm missing some information. However, from what I gleaned, this woman wanted ONE child, and God blessed her with eight. Her mother paid her debts, instead of filing bankruptcy, so that sounds like they are somewhat financially secure, and have integrity (I, myself, filed bankruptcy years ago, so I'm not trying to insult anyone. I wish I knew then what I know now, though). I didn't see anywhere in the story about anyone being on welfare (and, the fact they belong to Kaiser, and can pay for fertility treatments would cause me to think they're not), but, again, I may have missed something.

From the little I know about fertility, some women have multiple embryos implanted, and feel blessed to have one survive - sometimes none do. Yes, there was a chance of multiples with this pregnancy, but I highly doubt she counted on, or hoped for, eight at once. God doesn't make mistakes, though, and it sounds like he gave these children a mother who will love and cherish them. With so much abuse in the world, I can't complain about this.

pampchefsarah said:
I don't any more of the story other than what was provided in the above link, so maybe I'm missing some information. However, from what I gleaned, this woman wanted ONE child, and God blessed her with eight. Her mother paid her debts, instead of filing bankruptcy, so that sounds like they are somewhat financially secure, and have integrity (I, myself, filed bankruptcy years ago, so I'm not trying to insult anyone. I wish I knew then what I know now, though). I didn't see anywhere in the story about anyone being on welfare (and, the fact they belong to Kaiser, and can pay for fertility treatments would cause me to think they're not), but, again, I may have missed something.

From the little I know about fertility, some women have multiple embryos implanted, and feel blessed to have one survive - sometimes none do. Yes, there was a chance of multiples with this pregnancy, but I highly doubt she counted on, or hoped for, eight at once. God doesn't make mistakes, though, and it sounds like he gave these children a mother who will love and cherish them. With so much abuse in the world, I can't complain about this.

See, I have to respectfully disagree. Is it God, when it is manipulated and engineered by man? I honestly don't know. I know that the plan God has for families is not to have a sperm donor (possibly even unknown to the mother - we don't know?) who won't be a part of the childrens lives. That isn't the way that God set up procreation or families. She is a divorced mother of 6 who just had 8 more. That is now 14 children being raised w/o a father - and 8 of them will only know their father as "the sperm donor".:grumpy:

I know others may disagree with me - but that is how I see it.

My opinion (and others are free to take it or leave it) is that she had already contributed significantly to the overpopulation of the planet by having 6 children, before anything to do with the octuplets even started. That's completely separate from any consideration of her family or financial situation.

ChefBeckyD said:
See, I have to respectfully disagree. Is it God, when it is manipulated and engineered by man? I honestly don't know. I know that the plan God has for families is not to have a sperm donor (possibly even unknown to the mother - we don't know?) who won't be a part of the childrens lives. That isn't the way that God set up procreation or families. She is a divorced mother of 6 who just had 8 more. That is now 14 children being raised w/o a father - and 8 of them will only know their father as "the sperm donor".:grumpy:

We call it a freezer pop around here. ;)

Wow, there is a lot of vitriol and uncharitable thoughts directed towards a person I am assuming none of us knows personally. While I can understand a discussion about the number of children, etc, declaring she should have been given a hysterectomy or that the doctor must not be legitimate to have implanted so many embryos is judgmental and beneath a decent human being.Robin

We're all entitled to our opinions, which the above posts are all marked as. You are also free to disagree.

Opinions about the situation, yes. Saying she should have been given a mandatory hysterectomy, no. Implying the doctor is not legitimate, no. It is, as I said, judgmental and for those who are Christian, a most un-Christian attitude. Robin

ChefBeckyD said:

exactly my opinion as well! And I'll even step out and say that I believe that sometimes there are couples who cannot conceive "naturally" so that they are available to provide loving homes to the unwanted children.

We are currently having this debate within our family, so before I get beat up about this, yes I have considered both sides of childless couples. That is why I think adoption is a wonderful choice!

I also believe that adoption is a wonderful choice, but who are we (those of us that had children thee "conventional way") to say what we would do-what lengths we would go to to have our children. I love the idea of adoption, but I am also a big believer in fertility treatments- IF it is done appropriately!!

This case, IMHO, was not appropriate. That being said I don't know all of the circumstances, so i will not place judgement.

It all does seem fishy... just a strange/bizarre story! Lame for the children and the taxpayers (I live in Cali, so I'll be helping support her kids long before I have my own!) :rolleyes:

At the very least, it was financially irresponsible of the mom to even pursue fertility, considering she already has 6 children and seems like she cannot support them on her own. It was ethically irresponsible of the fertility doc to agree to work with her.

IMO, if you can afford, financially, physically, and psychologically, to have many children, go for it. The world can always use well-balanced, productive people. Otherwise, don't bring children into the world if someone else is going to have to pay most of their costs and if they will grow up without all the emotional support every child deserves.

This morning on the Today show, Dr Nancy Snyderman was speculating that she POSSIBLY was given the fertility treatments in another country and that there are STRICT guidelines for doctors here to not do that and no reputable facility would have gone along w/ it, not just because it's a dumb idea, but because of the health risks to the mother...there is an overabundance of blood going through the mother w/ that many births and could lead to severe bleeding during and after childbirth.

I do agree not to pass judgement until the facts are out though, and yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion but there's no use bringing about a witchtrial for her w/o knowing what she's about and what her motives were.

Also the dr said that she PROBABLY (again, speculation) did not disclose that she had that many children because that also is an indicator if a dr will implant embryos.

I can't wait for all of the details to come out. This is a statement from the woman who helps her take care of the kids:

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it." WTH....Who's paying her and why? Is she some sort of test/study on how many babies a woman can have? I bet it's the doctor who implanted them - and I still think he's the sperm donor.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Octuplets.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

priscilla said:
Opinions about the situation, yes. Saying she should have been given a mandatory hysterectomy, no. Implying the doctor is not legitimate, no. It is, as I said, judgmental and for those who are Christian, a most un-Christian attitude.

Robin
Thank you for qualifying your statement. Because the last I checked, we still lived in a country that is not (despite some people's efforts) a theocracy and don't need to view everything from the perspective of one belief system.

susanr613 said:
At the very least, it was financially irresponsible of the mom to even pursue fertility, considering she already has 6 children and seems like she cannot support them on her own. It was ethically irresponsible of the fertility doc to agree to work with her.

IMO, if you can afford, financially, physically, and psychologically, to have many children, go for it. The world can always use well-balanced, productive people. Otherwise, don't bring children into the world if someone else is going to have to pay most of their costs and if they will grow up without all the emotional support every child deserves.
Even if a family doesn't utilize public assistance, a large family like this woman's is still a huge drain on other publicly funded services, like schools. Public education is a great, but sending half a classroom worth of students from one family through school and expecting others to cover those costs (through taxes) is like making lunch out of the free samples at the grocery store - it may not be specifically prohibited, but it's greedy, self-centered and shows that the user would rather have others pay their way.

Aside from the societal cost to support this family, in my opinion this mother is far from an optimal role model for her children, at least as regards the concept of delayed gratification, acceptance, and treating children as people not accessories. Her actions, when taken with her statement that "I just wanted another girl" show, to me at least, that she views her children as something to benefit her, not as a responsibility or people with their own needs.

Those are my opinions. You may not agree. And whatever our opinions are, they don't affect the breeder at the center of this debate.

Maybe TMIMy husband and I went to a fertility doctor in Morgantown, WV. We were married for 6 years when we decided to have a baby. Everyone we talked with said that we were crazy. I was 35 and my husband was 50 when we started the process with the doctor. I was diabetic, high cholesterol and 35. The real problem was my husband, the sperm would not swim. For several months we would have them artificially inseminated but nothing happen. On our last try, I was given a shot – the night before the next treatment. When they started the treatment they said that there were 3 eggs showing. They asked us if we wanted any of them aborted before they did the artificially insemination. My husband and I thought a few minutes and said NO. My husband was the only one working, I had a son at home that just turn 15 years old, my husband will turn 51 shortly after have the baby(ies) being born. Maybe we shouldn’t but we did. We knew that we wanted to have a child and that God wouldn’t give us more than we can handle. At the time we didn’t know if we would have 3 or 2 or 1 or none. But 15 days later we found out that I was pregnant. 2 week after that, we found out how many we were having and there was only 1.
We have been so blessed with this child.
I believe that it isn’t up to us to judge, unless you live in CA and if there is a chance that you will have to pay to help raise them.
I didn’t like it when I had family criticize mine and my husband’s decision. No we really couldn’t afford to have 3 babies at one time – NO WAY.
But we still went through with it because we didn’t want to take a chance that we wouldn’t have any

Never the less, Lucy was born prematurely, having breathing problems, reflux and a cleft lip/palate. This was very scary to us but we could handle it. After looking back through all that we have been through I wouldn’t change anything (Lucy came home after 5 days in the hospital, she was put on cereal in her formula and a apnea monitor, also Lucy has had 3 major surgeries, plus 2 other hospital stays due to reflux – when a child has reflux and a cleft palate, when they throw-up, it doesn’t just come out of their mouth but their mouth and nose – this stopped her breathing twice.) she had to have tubes put in twice within 1 years – again cleft babies have many problems with their ears. She has had speech since she was one year old 3 days a week in our home and when she turned 3 years old, she started taking speech in an elementary school 2 days a week and 2 days of week at the League for Cripple Children. When she started school and the age of 5, she continued with speech in school and the league but still need more. Then two days after school would receive private speech.
At the age of 5 ½ she received braces. Here top teeth were coming is sideways (which is normal for cleft children)
Lucy just turned 9 years old on January 8th, 2009 – she has about another years with braces – I think.
Even after all of this, I still wouldn’t go back and change my mind. (well at least I think I have a mind – I know I did one day)
Sorry to make this so long but we need to wait a little longer to get all of the info. We just might find out something more – then we might say ‘well now that makes a little more since’.

One more thing - I do believe GOD has everything to do about someone getting pregnant, not getting pregnant, giving birth and about multiples

Just my opinion

Last edited:
Teresa,

I'm pretty sure that your situation is totally different from this lady. I would NEVER compare you to her.

She's unmarried, already has 6 children via invitro (she had some of them when she was married). Then opted to have more children via invitro and had 5 embryos implanted - knowing the risks. She is still unmarried and now she has 14 children. She lives with her parents and her dad is in Iraq as a translator to help make ends meet.....totally irresponsible IMO. She doesn't yet know if any of these babies will have developmental problems (since they aren't completely developed yet...) And, her 3 y/o is autistic. What's right with this scenario??

Re: Maybe TMI
whiteyteresa said:
My husband and I went to a fertility doctor in Morgantown, WV. We were married for 6 years when we decided to have a baby. Everyone we talked with said that we were crazy. I was 35 and my husband was 50 when we started the process with the doctor. I was diabetic, high cholesterol and 35. The real problem was my husband, the sperm would not swim. For several months we would have them artificially inseminated but nothing happen. On our last try, I was given a shot – the night before the next treatment. When they started the treatment they said that there were 3 eggs showing. They asked us if we wanted any of them aborted before they did the artificially insemination. My husband and I thought a few minutes and said NO. My husband was the only one working, I had a son at home that just turn 15 years old, my husband will turn 51 shortly after have the baby(ies) being born. Maybe we shouldn’t but we did. We knew that we wanted to have a child and that God wouldn’t give us more than we can handle. At the time we didn’t know if we would have 3 or 2 or 1 or none. But 15 days later we found out that I was pregnant. 2 week after that, we found out how many we were having and there was only 1.
We have been so blessed with this child.
I believe that it isn’t up to us to judge, unless you live in CA and if there is a chance that you will have to pay to help raise them.
I didn’t like it when I had family criticize mine and my husband’s decision. No we really couldn’t afford to have 3 babies at one time – NO WAY.
But we still went through with it because we didn’t want to take a chance that we wouldn’t have any

Never the less, Lucy was born prematurely, having breathing problems, reflux and a cleft lip/palate. This was very scary to us but we could handle it. After looking back through all that we have been through I wouldn’t change anything (Lucy came home after 5 days in the hospital, she was put on cereal in her formula and a apnea monitor, also Lucy has had 3 major surgeries, plus 2 other hospital stays due to reflux – when a child has reflux and a cleft palate, when they throw-up, it doesn’t just come out of their mouth but their mouth and nose – this stopped her breathing twice.) she had to have tubes put in twice within 1 years – again cleft babies have many problems with their years. She has had speech since she was one year old 3 days a week in our home and when she turned 3 years old, she started taking speech in an elementary school days a week and 2 days of week at the League for Cripple Children. When she started school and the age of 5, she continued with speech in school and the league but still need more. Then two days after school would receive private speech.
At the age of 5 ½ she received braces. Here top teeth were coming is sideways (which is normal for cleft children)
Lucy just turned 9 years old on January 8th, 2009 – she has about another years with braces – I think.
Even after all of this, I still wouldn’t go back and change my mind. (well at least I think I have a mind – I know I did one day)
Sorry to make this so long but we need to wait a little longer to get all of the info. We just might find out something more – then we might say ‘well now that makes a little more since’.

Just my opinion

Wow what a gracious little girl!! One thing that is different is you were in a loving relationship were you could not have children and you only have 3 embryos implanted. There is just something about having a litter of children that just isn't right.

wadesgirl said:
Wow what a gracious little girl!! One thing that is different is you were in a loving relationship were you could not have children and you only have 3 embryos implanted. There is just something about having a litter of children that just isn't right.

You didn't understand - the eggs were mine - I just needed to have my husband sperm inseminated near my tubes.

Would you risk aborting some of the eggs not knowing if which ones would grow and which ones wouldn't

I was just telling my friend about this and she just said that she heard on TV that she was a RN. Who knows. There will be more information coming out. I might even change my mind about her but I will have to wait and see.

Also when the ladies neighbors were interviewed they had nothing but positive things to say about her being a good mother.

Just more info to add

:chef:

I just pray that the children are all well loved & taken care of.. That God will bless those 8 babies & 6 other children w/ a wonderful life & a wonderful mother/family!

whiteyteresa said:
You didn't understand - the eggs were mine - I just needed to have my husband sperm inseminated near my tubes.

Would you risk aborting some of the eggs not knowing if which ones would grow and which ones wouldn't

I was just telling my friend about this and she just said that she heard on TV that she was a RN. Who knows. There will be more information coming out. I might even change my mind about her but I will have to wait and see.

Also when the ladies neighbors were interviewed they had nothing but positive things to say about her being a good mother.

Just more info to add

Oops I did misread! Which in your case makes it so much more different!

I do know that all the information has to come out but I still don't agree with it. We live in a town over from sextuplets. I still don't agree with it.

My sister lost a baby due to a birth defect and the first things the doctors told her when they found out early on in her pregnancy was there was nothing they could do for her in our state and to abort. There was no way she would give up any hope on her baby. I understand the situation but there are just a few red flags in this story that just don't make sense.

I think that the woman has some real mental problems and it's sad that ANY doctor would go along with it.

rennea said:
I think that the woman has some real mental problems and it's sad that ANY doctor would go along with it.

Amen Sister!

I cannot wait to hear details on the invitro doctor and who's paying her to do this.....and if they are, in fact, the SAME person (whatchya wanna bet they are?!?!?)

ok, I am not goning to express many opions cause it is hard to but I am an Ob nurse and all I have to say is this whole thing is crazy!!! I am very happy that the kids are doing good because they are not to blame. As for the mom hopfuly she will speak out more to clear alot up. IVF is very expensive so they have to have some sort of cash flow to afford the over $25,000 in just one try. WHo knows how many tries this pregnany took. oh well I guess we noeed to wait to find out more.

pchefjaime said:
ok, I am not goning to express many opions cause it is hard to but I am an Ob nurse and all I have to say is this whole thing is crazy!!! I am very happy that the kids are doing good because they are not to blame. As for the mom hopfuly she will speak out more to clear alot up. IVF is very expensive so they have to have some sort of cash flow to afford the over $25,000 in just one try. WHo knows how many tries this pregnany took. oh well I guess we noeed to wait to find out more.

See, that's what I'm thinking, I have had many friends with infertility go thru IVF and that alone is very expensive!! My DH and I considered it, but just couldn't wrap my mind around the costs! (we opted for the patience and prayer route!) Maybe this is the Hilton's we are talking about!! I mean if this were Paris Hilton, would we even care??

As I read all of your posts, I guess the main thing to remember is that we (most of us anyway) do not even know the woman, her situation - emotionally or financially, so we should not be judging her or anyone else. Yes, it is unconventional and probably not what most of us would choose to do. I'm sure she has enough people on her case -- and we should be putting all of this energy into our own lives.

My son and his wife tried for over 5 years and couldn't conceive. After all pre therapies were tried before IVF, the doctor met and counseled with them several times about the chance of risk of multiples. Questioned would they do selective reduction in numbers, etc. They ended up deciding to have 3 implanted (of their own sperm and eggs). Two of them took more than one week, and we now have 2 grandsons due to turn 5 in April. I do believe most doctors follow the same counseling and wonder what went wrong with this picture in California. Their younger brother, conceived naturally will be 2 in March!! We are truly blessed.

priscilla said:
Wow, there is a lot of vitriol and uncharitable thoughts directed towards a person I am assuming none of us knows personally. While I can understand a discussion about the number of children, etc, declaring she should have been given a hysterectomy or that the doctor must not be legitimate to have implanted so many embryos is judgmental and beneath a decent human being.

Robin

I am allowed my opinion, as is everyone else.

I would never say to someone on this site or anwhere that they were not a decent human being for stating an OPINION!

In this day and age if you do not want anyone to have opinions about how you live your life then it shouldnt be splattered all over the news and internet.

pjpamchef said:
See, that's what I'm thinking, I have had many friends with infertility go thru IVF and that alone is very expensive!! My DH and I considered it, but just couldn't wrap my mind around the costs! (we opted for the patience and prayer route!) Maybe this is the Hilton's we are talking about!! I mean if this were Paris Hilton, would we even care??

I would care - I sure as heck don't want Paris Hilton to end up responsible for raising children. Based on how she behaves in public, those children would be doomed.

Ok, this is in MY state, not too far from where I live. Yes, there is a lot of public outcry about this--however, I respectfully remind us that this is actually none of our business.....She is a single mom who had 8 embryos implanted, usually only 3 or 4 make it, all of hers made it....She lives with her parents and her mother is not too happy but her father has been interviewed many times on our local news and reminds the press that this is a family issue. She has 6 kids now and has never (I repeat Never) asked for public assistance at all, and her father insists they will not....I don't think she is looking for public acclaim along the line of anything--the babies were born last Tuesday and she didn't even release her name until yesterday, has asked for privacy, and has not named the children yet. No one has even taken her picture I don't think--doesn't sound like someone going after endorsement $$ to me. She has a good job and apparently has the $$ to take care of these children. She lives with her parents. Her parents are separated, and yes, one of their houses (note I said HOUSES) went into foreclosure because of a dispute between the mother and the father as a result of the separation. The father immediately took care of the back due house payment, and indicates that the family is ok with this....Should she have had in vitro done? Maybe not, but all who know her say she is a WONDERFUL mother....she had in vitro to have one or two more children, and God kept all of them....doctors offered her selective abortion and she said no....so....before we judge, as long as she is not looking for endorsement $$ or assistance from the state, I think it's a wonderful blessing to have all your babies live.

One more comment from me about this statement:

Even if a family doesn't utilize public assistance, a large family like this woman's is still a huge drain on other publicly funded services, like schools. Public education is a great, but sending half a classroom worth of students from one family through school and expecting others to cover those costs (through taxes) is like making lunch out of the free samples at the grocery store - it may not be specifically prohibited, but it's greedy, self-centered and shows that the user would rather have others pay their way.

I live in California--about 40% of our state is illegal mexicans. THEY are a huge drain on our finances and our public schools, welfare (a LOT of them get welfare--on purpose), our health system (ask anyone who has been to the emergency room in Southern California in the last 10 years)....They are WAY more a burden to our system than some ladie's 14 kids. This woman, if she has a decent job, pays taxes. A lot of the illegal mexicans here don't pay any taxes at all except sales tax...no payroll taxes, certainly no property taxes, nothing. A lot of them claim 10-12 deductions on their W-4's and send the extra $$ home to Mexico. So the argument that she is a drain on the system here in Southern California is a laugh--we have no system anymore, it's been sucked dry and cleaned out by illegals.

Thanks for more info Nancy. Since you live so close, you have more of the story that I have here in GA. Children are a blessing, but they also deserve to have both a mother and a father and they deserve the chance to be healthy. Statistics have proven that many children that are born in these large multiple birth situations have serious and life long health problems. These babies aren't even fully developed yet so it's not know what if any problems that they may or may not have. And, I don't know about CA, but here in GA you only pay school taxes if you are a property owner - it sounds to me like she is not a property owner since she lives with her parents. Also, if you are over a certain age (which her parents may or may not be) you do not have to pay school taxes - if that is the situation in CA, then your tax dollars will be paying to educate her kids (unless she sends them to private school or homeschools them).

I don't know all of the facts, but from what her family and doctors have reported to the media, it wasn't an ethical, sane, or moral decision to do what she did - her own mother has said that she does not approve of this. And, since she has not come forward to clear any of it up, we can only go by what has been reported. As we used to say when I worked in a coroprate job - silence is agreement.

Nanisu said:

I live in California--about 40% of our state is illegal mexicans. THEY are a huge drain on our finances and our public schools, welfare (a LOT of them get welfare--on purpose), our health system (ask anyone who has been to the emergency room in Southern California in the last 10 years)....They are WAY more a burden to our system than some ladie's 14 kids. This woman, if she has a decent job, pays taxes. A lot of the illegal mexicans here don't pay any taxes at all except sales tax...no payroll taxes, certainly no property taxes, nothing. A lot of them claim 10-12 deductions on their W-4's and send the extra $$ home to Mexico. So the argument that she is a drain on the system here in Southern California is a laugh--we have no system anymore, it's been sucked dry and cleaned out by illegals.

This isn't a thread on illegal immigrants. We have a huge problem with that here in GA too...

Nanisu said:

I can't believe you said that - That satement is so wrong. Sorry if I am being mean.

Nancy didn't say that. It was a quote without the quote feature utilized.

But again - it was someone's opinion that they are entitled to have.

Just a gentle reminder that there were some terrible, horrible, and painful things said about Paige following her disappearance. To do this day, there are those who could care less about her as a person and claim that she somehow deserved her fate because of her personal decisions (made in part out of love for her children).

This woman may or not be a loving mother; may or may not be a parasite; may or may not be intentionally irresponsible...but I'm hesitate to decide, without knowing her, that she deserves to be vilified, hated, and ridiculed.

Sorry, but witnessing what happened to Paige, has me hesitant to form a definitive opinion on this woman.

There are a few things wrong in this octo-saga. First of all, the mother's choice when she does not have the means to support this many children. But most of all (and I say this as the mother of an IVF - born beautiful baby boy) the clinic she went to should be SHUT DOWN! My clinic does everything they can to discourage multiples. THey would never transfer more than three embryos - less than that if your odds are good. There are so many fantastic clinics out there that quacks like this give fertility treatment a bad name. The governments in Canada and the States need to be funding these clinics so that there is regulation and that Joe Blow can not just hang out a shingle and call himself a fertility specialist when you are not in it for the health of mother or child, but for the almighty dollar. ARGH. Makes me so mad!

I was just coming to post a link to that article.

This woman may or not be a loving mother; may or may not be a parasite; may or may not be intentionally irresponsible...but I'm hesitate to decide, without knowing her, that she deserves to be vilified, hated, and ridiculed.

I agree. She has made different choices than I would make in the situation, but we haven't heard her speak at all and most of the discussion about her is purely speculative. Her mom is not coming across as especially supportive, either, so her comments in my mind need to be taken with a grain of salt.

As for the Times Online article: None of that is her speaking out for herself. Do we know it's factual and not tabloid speculation?

In this day and age if you do not want anyone to have opinions about how you live your life then it shouldnt be splattered all over the news and internet.

Heaven help you if something newsworthy should happen in your own life; you really aren't in control of what is "splattered all over the news and internet" when something becomes public record. (Births are public record.)

My husband's family was involved a major news story in the 1980s when his cousin was kidnapped. Speculation was rampant that the family was somehow involved, tabloid articles were written, and it wreaked havoc on his entire family. They did nothing wrong and didn't choose to be in the limelight, but you really don't have a choice in the matter once something happens. In today's day and age I can only imagine how much worse it is when you're thrust into the media spotlight and everyone has an opinion (including suggesting that she should have a mandatory hysterectomy, a very major surgery with lifelong complications!!) without ever having heard a word from you.

We don't know this woman, her intentions, her mental stability, her ability to care for her children, nothing. I feel sorry for her.

Nanisu said:
Ok, this is in MY state, not too far from where I live. Yes, there is a lot of public outcry about this--however, I respectfully remind us that this is actually none of our business.....She is a single mom who had 8 embryos implanted, usually only 3 or 4 make it, all of hers made it....She lives with her parents and her mother is not too happy but her father has been interviewed many times on our local news and reminds the press that this is a family issue. She has 6 kids now and has never (I repeat Never) asked for public assistance at all, and her father insists they will not....I don't think she is looking for public acclaim along the line of anything--the babies were born last Tuesday and she didn't even release her name until yesterday, has asked for privacy, and has not named the children yet. No one has even taken her picture I don't think--doesn't sound like someone going after endorsement $$ to me. She has a good job and apparently has the $$ to take care of these children. She lives with her parents. Her parents are separated, and yes, one of their houses (note I said HOUSES) went into foreclosure because of a dispute between the mother and the father as a result of the separation. The father immediately took care of the back due house payment, and indicates that the family is ok with this....Should she have had in vitro done? Maybe not, but all who know her say she is a WONDERFUL mother....she had in vitro to have one or two more children, and God kept all of them....doctors offered her selective abortion and she said no....so....before we judge, as long as she is not looking for endorsement $$ or assistance from the state, I think it's a wonderful blessing to have all your babies live.

Well put..thank you so MUCH for sharing..it is no one's business. Especially since she is not accepting assistance. The way I look at it is there is a rare occurance of 8 beautiful babies born to a caring mother..a gift from God.. much better that the one baby born to baby grace's mother....she killed her baby girl... this mother is going to need support and does not need to be subjected to negativity. Neither do these wonderful babies made by God. I am also so proud of her not aborting any of these babies... could be a wonderful message from God about abortion.. I heard it!! Every life is precious. I will send daily prayer their way and hope all will join me. A miracle has just happened. Praise God! We should rejoice!!

<h2>1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?</h2><p>The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.</p><h2>2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?</h2><p>It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.</p><h2>3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?</h2><p>At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.</p><h2>4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?</h2><p>The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.</p><h2>5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?</h2><p>The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.</p>

1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?

The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.

2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?

It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.

3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?

At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.

4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?

The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.

5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?

The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • pampered.chris