• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Octuplet Mom - This Is an Outrage!

badly). But this woman went and had SEVEN more children just for the heck of it, and the taxpayers are going to be stuck with the bill. This woman is out of her mind and needs help.
gingertannery said:
Well put..thank you so MUCH for sharing..it is no one's business. Especially since she is not accepting assistance. The way I look at it is there is a rare occurance of 8 beautiful babies born to a caring mother..a gift from God.. much better that the one baby born to baby grace's mother....she killed her baby girl... this mother is going to need support and does not need to be subjected to negativity. Neither do these wonderful babies made by God. I am also so proud of her not aborting any of these babies... could be a wonderful message from God about abortion.. I heard it!! Every life is precious. I will send daily prayer their way and hope all will join me. A miracle has just happened. Praise God! We should rejoice!!

Sorry but that really made me laugh out loud!!! Just wait and see what comes of this. I bet we she this mental case all over the TV, as the link above has said!!

I'm sure TLC will have a show on her:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::

rennea said:
I'm sure TLC will have a show on her:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::
And I'll be avoiding that show like the plague, just like I refuse to watch anything to do with the Duggar breeders or that other family with the 8 kids.

gingertannery said:
Well put..thank you so MUCH for sharing..it is no one's business. Especially since she is not accepting assistance. The way I look at it is there is a rare occurance of 8 beautiful babies born to a caring mother..a gift from God.. much better that the one baby born to baby grace's mother....she killed her baby girl... this mother is going to need support and does not need to be subjected to negativity. Neither do these wonderful babies made by God. I am also so proud of her not aborting any of these babies... could be a wonderful message from God about abortion.. I heard it!! Every life is precious. I will send daily prayer their way and hope all will join me. A miracle has just happened. Praise God! We should rejoice!!

Um, they were made in a lab. I'm sorry to offend, but this lady has definitely gone too far and so has the doctor that helped her.

I'm glad the Duggars were brought up, because there's no real "outcry" with this family...I realize the differences w/ the families, but still, they have 18 kids...a classroom, as someone brought up...
And like I said, I think we should wait and hear the whole story before labeling her.
It sounds like some of you are against large families, regardless of how they were conceived.

I have read through this thread since it started a few days ago, tried to bite my tongue, but....I just can't. The very 1st thought that popped in my head when I read the headline about her wanting one more girl was "why can't you be happy with the girl(s) you have. Are they not good enough for you?" I am VERY sure there are ALOT of people in this world who would be thrilled with a girl. I am blessed with a boy and girl and though I would love to have more, God doesn't agree with me on that note. My second thought after reading the article was that she paid off nearly $1 million dollars in debt after filing for bankrupcy..where did that money suddenly come from..hmmm. Also, I was one of 6 children growing up in a house bigger than hers is now and it always seemed cramped for me...how the heck is she gonna fit in 8 more newborns..not to mention cribs,high chairs,etc.,etc.,. Another point--the article states she was hurt in her job, then went to school --she must have gotten workers comp for being hurt on the job, and maybe even that paid for her to go to school...hmmm is this when she began using the system?? Finally--her father had to go to Iraq to help the family financially?? Money must be tight(not a good reason to bring 8 more babies into this world). If she is "obessed" with children, why couldn't she adopt?. Obsession can be considered a disorder and I think she has something wrong with her state of mind. I wonder why she didn't receive counseling from the fertility clinic before they implanted her. (Do they do that as a rule-I'm wondering. If not perhaps they should) I just hope these babies are healthy, because statistically there are bound to be physical, emotional and mental problems for them...I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I could not keep my fingers shut!!

(ETA: I wrote this before Barbara's post-so I am not referencing her)I've been reading this and biting my tongue. I don't want to express an opinion and then get dumped on. I know everyone has an opinion. I hate confrontation, I always get sad when people say hurtful things to each other, I feel uneasy when I know that something has been shared that is going to hurt others. I hate conflict. That's the Polyanna in me, I know...I'm sorry. I do believe people are entitled to their opinions and are free to express them. I just know that with every comment, someone gets hurt in some way.I am sad that some people have made comments about being against large families--in general, and not just in this situation. I have 4 kids and I know to some that seems like too many. I have many friends, family members, or church friends who have 5, 6, or more children, and I think there are even consultants on this site with more, and some of the comments about large families draining the system is kind of hurtful. I don't think it's fair to make blanket statements about the # of children someone has. Many people with large families do a great job raising their children. Those children grow up to be capable, responsible adults with careers and then they are contributing to the work force, are home buyers, pay taxes and give back to the system (if you feel that so many kids are a burden on the schools). The size of someone's family is their business. The day that people declare how many children is allowed to be acceptable, is a sad day. This isn't China. Again, I'm talking generally here...not this woman's case. This woman's story has not unfolded completely. I will not pass judgment on this woman on what she may or may not do, what her children may or may not do in the future. These children are here, we can't turn back the clock. I agree that doctor's should have not been allowed to implant more than 2 or 3 embryos (as it seems that is what standard Dr.'s do follow). It was dangerous for the mother and the babies. I do think this many small children at one time is tough. 14 small children is a lot and going to be very challenging. This mother will most likely need help in some way. Again, I don't know the mother, so maybe this is false, but if she is wonderful with children than at least that is one positive thing. If she is filled with love for children, like people have said, than hopefully these children will be taken care of emotionally well. Now, the mother's mental health, I don't know. The media really likes to paint a picture that they want to share. Maybe the mom is great, maybe she's crazy. Time will tell. I was just concerned by the comments said about large families in general, that's why I couldn't bite my tongue any longer. I'm sorry if this upsets anyone. I really don't mean to judge or hurt. :)

Last edited:
Amanda, I hope you did not think that I am against large families because I said my house seemed cramped with 6 children in it. In fact, we were one of the smallest families among my cousins (13 in one family, 8 in another,etc.) I would have loved more children, but was not blessed in that way--I still can't talk about a very sad incident for our family recently. (That took me a minute to type that sentence). I just hope this women and her family understand the volume of raising so many children-both emotionally and physically. I can't even wrap my brain around it. My sister adopted a little child a few years ago from a foreign countries orphange filled to capacity (they has 3 biological children of their own) and when someone asked her "why?" she said "because we have the means, both financially and emotionally. This child would be probably be living in an orphanage until he turned 18 and then be on his own with probably no education or skills. Now, that won't happen." Sure it is only one child, but it is one less sad child with likely no chance for a productive future. I cannot imagine our lives without him. He is truely a blessing. I feel this woman should have explored this option instead if she was so obsessed with having more children.

Last edited:
pamperedbybarbara said:
Amanda, I hope you did not think that I am against large families because I said my house seemed cramped with 6 children in it. In fact, we were one of the smallest families among my cousins (13 in one family, 8 in another,etc.) I would have loved more children, but was not blessed in that way--I still can't talk about a very sad incident for our family recently. (That took me a minute to type that sentence). I just hope this women and her family understand the volume of raising so many children-both emotionally and physically. I can't even wrap my brain around it. My sister adopted a little child a few years ago from a foreign countries orphange filled to capacity (they has 3 biological children of their own) and when someone asked her "why?" she said "because we have the means, both financially and emotionally. This child would be probably be living in an orphanage until he turned 18 and then be on his own with probably no education or skills. Now, that won't happen." Sure it is only one child, but it is one less sad child with likely no chance for a productive future. I cannot imagine our lives without him. He is truely a blessing. I feel this woman should have explored this option instead if she was so obsessed with having more children.

Barbara, as soon as I hit submit, I saw my post go on...right after yours. I read yours and I cringed because you were talking about large families and mental health and I was worried you would think I was responding to your post. I wasn't. I had not seen your post because I took forever writing mine, debating on even posting it, etc, that when I did post it, it was later than yours. I tried to really quick make a note at the top telling people I hadn't seen your post and wasn't referring to you, but feared I would be too late. I'm sorry if you read it and felt I was directing my comments to you. See, this I why I hate posting in heated topic threads! :blushing:

etteluap70PC said:
In this day and age if you do not want anyone to have opinions about how you live your life then it shouldnt be splattered all over the news and internet

Ok so maybee this was a bit harsh of me but I was reacting to being called and an indecent human being

priscilla said:
declaring she should have been given a hysterectomy or that the doctor must not be legitimate to have implanted so many embryos is judgmental and beneath a decent human being.
Robin

koima said:
Heaven help you if something newsworthy should happen in your own life; you really aren't in control of what is "splattered all over the news and internet" when something becomes public record. (Births are public record.)

My husband's family was involved a major news story in the 1980s when his cousin was kidnapped. Speculation was rampant that the family was somehow involved, tabloid articles were written, and it wreaked havoc on his entire family. They did nothing wrong and didn't choose to be in the limelight, but you really don't have a choice in the matter once something happens. In today's day and age I can only imagine how much worse it is when you're thrust into the media spotlight and everyone has an opinion (including suggesting that she should have a mandatory hysterectomy, a very major surgery with lifelong complications!!) without ever having heard a word from you.

Koima,
I am very sory this happened to you, it was not fair to your family... But this woman made this choice and had to have a tiny inkling of the media circus it would become.

Side note... I am not against large families (did not feel accused of that just wanted to make a statement). I am against people who choose to have more children that they can handle then complain that they do not have enough to get by. If you have the $ and grace to flourish in a large family than have at it!

If I were a single mother I would not choose to have 14 children.

Last edited:
I am really surprised that the fertility clinic implanted so many embryos. I would have thought that was a very risky thing to do and I know that here in the UK there are limits on the number of embryos that can be implanted when woman has IVF treatment. This lady already has 6 children which I think makes the fertility clinics decision to implant so many embryos even stranger. I think that the clinic and doctors that carried out this treatment have been very irresponsible.

Amanda, as soon as I hit submit, I saw your edit, so I quickly edited mine also...I feel like we are chasing each other ...:blushing:Thank you for clearing that up though, because when I first read your answer before your edit I said to myself "this is why I usually don't go into these sensitive topics" Remember the political ones? Who can forget those? I kept sitting on my fingers while reading them, but it was hard and they got sore!!! I think most people on here are on the same page as we are...time will tell about this mother. I always tell my children "actions speak louder than words". I know that might may sound outdated, but just think about it....

etteluap70PC said:
If I were a single mother I would not choose to have 14 children.

I just have to say THIS is where people are getting irritated over this issue.

It isn't that this lady chose to have a large family, it is HOW she chose. If you are married, have all the children God blesses you with but if you are single, you shouldn't be screwing around or having your embryos implanted to increase a family from 6 to 14!

...just my opinion... :mad:

Thank you Amanda for posting your thoughts. I was trying to post similar ideas.

I was going to post several examples of large families in my extended family, including my own but decided that it wouldn't prove anything to put that much info out here. Leave it to say that some would call us "breeders". I take great offense at the generalities made in this thread. None of our families had children just to have them and none have taken any support from the government (even when our diet consisted of mostly eggs and mac & cheese) but sometimes people have no recourse. Every situation is different and it is not our place to judge.

IMHO this thread is way out of hand. I pray for that woman and especially for her children. We do not know the whole story just like we don't know the whole story about Paige.

I love the Duggar family. Their oldest son is marrying into a missionary family that I know well and they themselves have about 9 kids. But I do love the fact that before TLC made their life into a TV show they owned, AND STILL DO, a few rental properties that help make ends meet and there is some kind of tower (I'm guessing cellphone) on their personal property that is, of course, rented by the carrier. So they were doing great on their own without assistance. The TV show is an added bonus. And who couldn't use an added bonus - in fact, who would turn it away? The Duggar's, after having a 'few' children tried the Birth Control method and she ended up havig a miscarriage. Their conclusion was that the the bc pill was not the right solution for them. They decided to leave it in God's hands. If they had more children then so be it. The are obviously a Christian family and their values may be different than most. But, it's how they choose to live.

I think if we were in their shoes - we would all feel differently. The truth is NONE OF US know exactly what our lives would be like if we had that many children. We could easily be in someone else's shoes. So while it is fine to post comments and opinions about a situation let's BE CAREFUL in how and what we say as to not pass judgement. I know I don't like it when others come to a conclusion about me before knowing all the facts. It could easily be us one day. And I, for one, can not see into the future. I do not know how I would handle my life in the spotlight until it came to be. So let's be FAIR in our comments and opinions as we MAY NOT KNOW THE TRUTH in these situations. (the current discussion about the woman w/ 14 kids or any large family)

Something to think about: Some may think 3 kids is too many, some may think 10 is not enough. I'm the oldest of 6 - while I don't want to have 6 kids myself someone else might. This is the truth that we are all different. There is no definition for 'too many' when it comes to kids :~D

janetupnorth said:

It isn't that this lady chose to have a large family, it is HOW she chose. If you are married, have all the children God blesses you with but if you are single, you shouldn't be screwing around or having your embryos implanted to increase a family from 6 to 14!

I understand your point and agree that is probably where most people are in this issue but I have to say that some have been making very general, demeaning comments about large families. As we all know from the political posts, we need to realize that what we are thinking as we type is not always what others will read when they see it.

BethCooks4U said:
I understand your point and agree that is probably where most people are in this issue but I have to say that some have been making very general, demeaning comments about large families. As we all know from the political posts, we need to realize that what we are thinking as we type is not always what others will read when they see it.

I completely agree w/ this statement...I take offense to parents of large families being called "breeders"...that is a hateful statement and completely uncalled for. How many kids do you have to have to be called a breeder? More than one?

I don't come from a large family, nor do I have one myself, but I do think it is commendable that those parents choose to have them...it takes a great deal of love and patience to have so many children and have a healthy marriage.
If a single person chooses to have mulitple childrern, it is none of our business, especially when we don't know the whole story! How can we judge based on what is said in the MSM and by a grandmother who doesn't agree w/ the daughter's decision? Big deal, maybe they have had a volitale relationship and of course the media is going to jump all over the negative side of it.
While I personally wouldn't have 14 kids, I don't have to raise them, so why would it bother me so much?

BethCooks4U said:

Hence why I'm not commenting much on the issue...don't want my thought misconstrued. I have a "small family" - 2 kids, but almost all of my friends have 4 plus kids.

From what we have seen, there has been some definite irresponsiblity. I truly believe it is one thing to be in a committed marriage and having a large family and another to have eggs implanted in large numbers when you are single with 6 kids.

That is where the issue lies for me. Not in the total amount of kids she has and whether or not she can handle them but the how and why she brought them into this world.

I hope and pray these kids can grow up with some love and nurture and somewhat of a "normal" life.

I think "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a perfect example here.... I would not want anyone to assume anything about me..and then blast it all over the news and then judge me over this supposed news.. and we are assuming because we don't have the full story. You know what happens when you assume... makes an a** out of U and Me a**ume!
I have also been in the middle of a media scandle. The truth was totally twisted and it hurt everyone involved... so I know media wants a story.. at all costs. And the truth is not needed.. even ignored for sensation.

erinb said:
Um, they were made in a lab. I'm sorry to offend, but this lady has definitely gone too far and so has the doctor that helped her.

I know we are all different, and we think differently.. but to me any baby is a gift from God.. even though the egg was fertilized in a petry dish and then implanted.. all 8 of them.. they were viable and grew into precious children.. there were so many chances for one or all of these babies to not make it.. when fertilized.. then again as they grew in their mom's body.. I understand it is how I feel.. my opinion.. that these babies are from God.. a gift and very precious. You are welcome to think of them a you feel.. they were made in a lab.. but they are as human as you and I are..
We don't know why she did this.. we don't know her plan nor why she was paid.. she tried very hard to keep her identity safe.. but again the media found her and reported the rest of the story.. It is none of our business.. and the fact that people here are stepping on toes of wonderful mothers on this site is wrong. It breaks my heart to see mothers who have worked hard for their families only to be knocked down by fellow cheffers. Even if what they were posting was not meant to hurt.. it is hurting. I see some on the defensive. Not including the ones who have remained silent. I am proud of all mothers. And I guess I'll get lambasted over this..again..

I'm going to stay out of this thread after this comment but I really think bringing the Duggar family into this is wrong. Their children were conceived naturally. They do not believe in birth control which is a biblical principal. I don't believe it is a salvation issue but the bible speaks against preventing pregnancy. They homeschool their children which places no strain on the state payng for their children's education. They have no debt and accept no government aid. And do quite well for themselves. They are raising good, godly children which this world needs more of. So I'd love if they had 100 children because it would contribute to society in a positive way. I have their book and read it in one day. Unless you know more about them you shouldn't drag them into a discussion about artificial means of having children. I hope that I can grow in spiritual maturity enough to rais my kids in such a biblical way. They are not perfect as no human is, but they've really got a good handle on things. I really admire that family so it really strikes a cord with me when people start lumping them in with this lady. I'm not going to judge her but comparing the two really doesn't make sense as the situations are very different.
God bless,
Amanda

Wanted to add this... Found it while searching for scriptures regarding this very thing....

Theresa K.,

You ask: “where is the verse about only God is the opener and closer of the womb?”

When you read in Scripture of women conceiving, and other women being barren, it is almost always clearly attributed to God.

For example, you might remember in Genesis chapter 30 where Rachel said to her husband, €œgive me children or I die€. But Jacob knew it was God alone who opens and closes the womb:

“And Jacob’s anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God’s stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?” [verse 2]

Later in the same chapter we read that God opens her womb:

“And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.” [verse 22]

Teresa, then you say: “I just also believe that God doesn€™t ordain it and allows us to choose.”

So, when God says “be fruitful and multiply,” He means “when you so choose,” not when He chooses to bless us?

You then say: “Salvation is based on God-given faith and not on obedience to God.”

No argument here, but I think you are accusing those of us who believe contraception is wrong of thinking our salvation is based on it. Don’t be too quick to think this is works righteousness. Luther might give you that opinion even more than I would in his commentary on 1 Timothy 2:15, and I’m sure you would agree that he understood that salvation is by faith alone:

“15. ‘SHE WILL BE SAVED.’ That subjection of women and domination of men have not been taken away, have they? No. The penalty remains. The blame passed over. The pain and tribulation of childbearing continue. Those penalties will continue until judgment. So also the dominion of men and the subjection of women continue. You must endure them. You will also be saved if you have also subjected yourselves and bear your children with pain. ‘THROUGH BEARING CHILDREN.’ It is a very great comfort that a woman can be saved by bearing children, etc. That is, she has an honorable and salutary status in life if she keeps busy having children. We ought to recommend this passage to them, etc. She is described as ‘saved’ not for freedom, for license, but for bearing and rearing children. Is she not saved by faith? He goes on and explains himself: bearing children is a wholesome responsibility, but for believers. To bear children is acceptable to God. He does not merely say that bearing children saves: he adds: if the bearing takes place in faith and love, it is a Christian work, for ‘to the pure all things are pure (Titus 1 :15).’ Also: ‘All things work together,’ Rom. 8:28. This is the comfort for married people in trouble: hardship and all things are salutary, for through them they are moved forward toward salvation and against adultery…. ‘IN FAITH.’ Paul had to add this, lest women think that they are good in the fact that they bear children. Simple childbearing does nothing, since the heathen also do this. But for Christian women their whole responsibility is salutary. So much the more salutary, then is bearing children. I add this, therefore, that they may not feel secure when they have no faith.” [Luther’s Works, Vol. 28, p. 279]

“[A woman] has an honorable and salutary status in life if she keeps busy having children. We ought to recommend this passage to them, etc. She is described as ‘saved’ not for freedom, for license, but for bearing and rearing children.”

Kind of makes you think, doesn’t it?

If she just wanted one little girl, why didn't she just adopt ONE LITTLE GIRL? It would have been better for the children and way less expensive for everyone

Larry king live is doing his show on this right now!

Probably to talk about how she is supposedly wanting $2 mill for an interview. People have kids everyday lady! She so does not deserve that kind of money for paying someone to put embryo's in her! Just my opinion, of course.

I saw a news blurb that she has been offered a TV movie deal...

Here is the latest news story on her. What I can't understand if she had such bad back problems and gave birth to the first 6 including a set of twins, how could she manage to even function with carrying 8 babies! I have a friend whose husband has testicular cancer 5 years ago and they have found out the radiation damaged his vertibrae and he had several damage where he couldn't work. He could not receive disability because it wasn't "bad enough"!

Octuplet mom got more than $165K in disability
Published: 2/5/09, 6:26 PM EDT
By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California agency says it paid the mother of newborn octuplets more than $165,000 in disability payments for an on-the-job back injury. The payments made over six years to Nadya Suleman were disclosed Thursday to The Associated Press following a public records request to the Department of Mental Health. The payments were made between 2002 and 2008, during which time the single mother gave birth to most of her six other children.Suleman, who gave birth to the octuplets last week, was employed at a state mental health hospital from 1997 until December, when she resigned the position. Records show that for much of that time, however, she was unable to work.

pcchefjane said:
Here is the latest news story on her. What I can't understand if she had such bad back problems and gave birth to the first 6 including a set of twins, how could she manage to even function with carrying 8 babies! I have a friend whose husband has testicular cancer 5 years ago and they have found out the radiation damaged his vertibrae and he had several damage where he couldn't work. He could not receive disability because it wasn't "bad enough"!

Octuplet mom got more than $165K in disability
Published: 2/5/09, 6:26 PM EDT
By SHAYA TAYEFE MOHAJER
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A California agency says it paid the mother of newborn octuplets more than $165,000 in disability payments for an on-the-job back injury. The payments made over six years to Nadya Suleman were disclosed Thursday to The Associated Press following a public records request to the Department of Mental Health. The payments were made between 2002 and 2008, during which time the single mother gave birth to most of her six other children.

Suleman, who gave birth to the octuplets last week, was employed at a state mental health hospital from 1997 until December, when she resigned the position. Records show that for much of that time, however, she was unable to work.

She was on bedrest from something like 20 or 24 weeks in the hospital.

And now the grandmother is expressing her disgust and dismay. She says that she will probably not be there when her daughter and the octuplets return home.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1877962,00.html

Octuplet mom defends ‘unconventional’ choices - Parenting & Family - MSNBC.com

It's just crazy!!! I don't blame her mom for being upset. If I were in CA, I'd be very upset. She is getting public assistance (though she chooses to look at it in other ways) and you can bet your bottom dollar that CA tax dollars will be spent by social workers watching her every move and sooner than later, she will have tons of 'assistance'. It will be interesting to see the final tally on her hospital bill - sice she doen't work I'm assuming that she also doesn't have health insurance. I feel so badly for her babies...

I think having biblical principles is fine for those who apply them to their own lives. To apply your beliefs to someone else's life isn't so great. I'm sure that if I were to tell someone that they shouldn't have children because they smoke, for instance, that would really not go over too well.
I don't have children because I don't particularly care for children and it would be selfish for me to have them.
I don't think being married, heterosexual, or Christian has anything to do with the ability to raise children. I happen to be Jewish, gay, and not allowed to be married because of a lot of voters who should mind their own business.
So please, keep your beliefs. But don't inflict them on others when they don't affect you personally. Everyone's opinions on birth control are really their own and should apply to their own lives and lifestyles.
For the record, I don't think she should have had the children or even tried for one more, much less eight. But nobody asked me so I have no problem letting her figure out how to manage the life she has created for herself and her kids. Eight more children on public assistance isn't honestly going to make a dent the millions already on it.
Just my opinion. Yours may vary, and probably does. Good on ya.

Hey Frank - you are allowed your opinion as well as everyone else is allowed to express theirs.
However, you aren't allowed to link to your pws here (or anywhere on line)....you might want to edit that.

Frank, I agree with you. One of the many things that disturbs me is hearing the grandmother who is exhausted helping take care of the current 6 in her 3 bedroom home.

Not only is Mom not able to provide for her children she is now stuffing them in a home that is not even her own home or rented home. Sounds like the owner of the home (the exhausted Grandma) was not informed of the addition to the family until after she was pregnant.

Also, seeing the Mom with the French style fake nails shows me that what little money she does have, may not be going to the children. Just maintaining these nails runs no less than $30 every 3 to 4 weeks.

It occurred to me that I have a logical solution that only one person may have a problem with. The doctor who irresponsibly implanted this woman needs to step up to the plate and pay for the children he made possible. On his salary, I am sure he could swing it.

I just want to know where she gets her money to get implanted. This is not a cheap procedure. I am not curious about the mother at all except for her mental stability. I am worried about her children's survival in this world.

Her nails look much better than mine....

I think that is what all the outrage about the mom is - these children already have an unfair advantage and they will suffer! However, according to her, she will be there for them and give her life to them....well, that's all fine and good, but it is going to cost an aweful lot of money, and that kind of money only falls in your lap if you win the lottery.

How in the heck does she think she is going to be able to go back to school in the fall?

Again, I have basically ignored this story, but have heard just enough to be concerned about these children.

When I heard her plans to "go to college" I continued to question. Going to college is a big committment time wise and financially. I don't think Grandma is up for watching the kids. My heart is sad for the Grandmother too. She is so caught up in wanting to do the best by her grandchildren but too exhausted to give any more.

chefann said:
And I'll be avoiding that show like the plague, just like I refuse to watch anything to do with the Duggar breeders or that other family with the 8 kids.

The Duggars home school, so they're not draining anyone on that one.

janetupnorth said:

Janet, darlin', you know I love ya, but I gotta speak up for the single girls here. Some of us will never get married. Some of us ache for children. Most of us don't ache for 14 under the age of 8, but if we do, and we can support them, I don't think our single-ness should preclude us from havin' em.

Love,

The lone liberal :)

pamperedlinda said:
I think that is what all the outrage about the mom is - these children already have an unfair advantage and they will suffer! However, according to her, she will be there for them and give her life to them....well, that's all fine and good, but it is going to cost an aweful lot of money, and that kind of money only falls in your lap if you win the lottery.

This morning, the Today Show had a segment with a family financial planner who estimated that it would take $1.5 million to raise these children, and that's based on normal kids with typical medical expenses. And these 8 are likely to have far more medical expenses than most.

chefann said:
This morning, the Today Show had a segment with a family financial planner who estimated that it would take $1.5 million to raise these children, and that's based on normal kids with typical medical expenses. And these 8 are likely to have far more medical expenses than most.

I saw that. They've also estimated the babies hospital delivery and stay to be @ $3 million....

Three of her other kids have medical problems (they didn''t elaborate on that) but they get $$ from either the state or SS b/c of whatever it is and the mom gets @ $500 monthly in food stamps - when questioned about it she said she doesn't consider that as assistance :rolleyes: She is also counting on grants to finish her degree....I guess since she will be up all night rocking babies, she might as well study too....I still think she's not totally balanced. And after all the publicity she has received, WHO would want her as a family counselor??

Last I saw online, they are investigating the dr. He supposedly has implanted embryos for each of her children... I agree that maybe he needs to help support them!

There is a dateline special on tonight about her, & from what I saw on the today show she claims that she had 6 embryos implanted every time, and she didn't expect more than 2 since that was the most she had gotten.

Hmmm, I'm watching the special - and I think she spent some of her settlement $$ on some plastic surgery too. She looks nothing like she did 8 yrs ago.

I missed the first 15 mins. All I can say about her is....WOW!!!! Those children are going to need a lot of help. I feel so sorry for them because clearly, their mother doesn't have a clue...

I just saw that Dr Phil is doing his show today on this topic

chefsteph07 said:
I just saw that Dr Phil is doing his show today on this topic

I'm sure he'll have some harsh words about the situation.

She admitted last night to using her school loans for personal use to support her family (aren't school loans low interest for the purpose of education?), and she owned up to receiving food stamps and the SSI for her 3 kids who have disabilities ($600 each/month) - but she said that she didn't consider those to be public support - huh? What kind of role model is she?

I wish I would have known this was on, I would have taped it, I might try to see if I can view it online...

Jean DeVries said:
Janet, darlin', you know I love ya, but I gotta speak up for the single girls here. Some of us will never get married. Some of us ache for children. Most of us don't ache for 14 under the age of 8, but if we do, and we can support them, I don't think our single-ness should preclude us from havin' em.

Love,

The lone liberal :)

Hey Jean, you are not the lone liberal! My heart bleeds too....but not for this woman. She is sick, and her fertility doc is, at the very least, negligent especially if he has a history with her.

With regard to the "who should adopt" issue, IMO if you can give your children financial and emotional stability, as well as the opportunity to get a good education, go for it!

I my self find this whole situation to be OUTRAGOUS! I did watch the interviews that NBC has had on to see what this woman had to say. As far as the other children 3 of them are getting dissability. Two or three of them have special needs.
The woman did know very early on that she was pregnant with all the babies.
I honestly have no problem with people having all the babies that they want, AS long as they themselves are able to take care of them. I have two children and I can tell you it wasn't easy.
I pray these new babies don't have health or learning problems!
Maybe that's all we can do for all of her children is pray for them(I'm sure they will need it as does their mother!)

Warning --- RANT
I don't usually rant, but this woman is the essence of everything that I find wrong with people in our society. There is no accountability for her actions and she has a heightened sense of entitlement. She wanted children so she had them, without a care for how she was going to provide for them. Children are not a right and they are not toys. They are little humans that will grow up and enter society. Children require the dedication of a committed family to teach them right from wrong and help them become productive members of society. If we raise everyone with a sense of entitlement, where will we be? Nobody wanting to work for their wants and expecting everyone else to provide for them. It is not our neighbors' jobs to pay for our wants.

Is the doctor wrong, yes! Should he be investigated, yes, but there are rules in medicine that bar you from making decision based on personal opinions and refusing service to an individual. You cannot claim my body, my right without blaming her. She is ultimately to blame, it is her body and she decided to do this. I feel for those who will be caught in the fall out, the residents of her state, her mother, the children, and also other couples who would love to conceive a child. Hopefully, this situation will result in the revamping of infertility practices, but that is a rant for another time.

negativitysucks said:
I think having biblical principles is fine for those who apply them to their own lives. To apply your beliefs to someone else's life isn't so great. I'm sure that if I were to tell someone that they shouldn't have children because they smoke, for instance, that would really not go over too well.
I don't have children because I don't particularly care for children and it would be selfish for me to have them.
I don't think being married, heterosexual, or Christian has anything to do with the ability to raise children. I happen to be Jewish, gay, and not allowed to be married because of a lot of voters who should mind their own business.
So please, keep your beliefs. But don't inflict them on others when they don't affect you personally. Everyone's opinions on birth control are really their own and should apply to their own lives and lifestyles.
For the record, I don't think she should have had the children or even tried for one more, much less eight. But nobody asked me so I have no problem letting her figure out how to manage the life she has created for herself and her kids. Eight more children on public assistance isn't honestly going to make a dent the millions already on it.
Just my opinion. Yours may vary, and probably does. Good on ya.

Hello Frank,

I believe that Christianity is the purpose of life. Before I knew Christ I lived my life for myself and in sin. When I was told of the wrath of God and the seperation between me and God because of my sin, I was worried. I never thought of myself as an enemy of God, a person who sinned against a holy God who made me and deserved my love and worship. I am glad that someone loved me enough to tell me these truths and allowed me to come to a place where Christ would save me. You might not agree that we should share our biblical principles on here or apply them to other people's lives but if we believe that the bible is absolute truth and the only way to live right before the eyes of God, you better believe we are going to share that.
Now I am not saying I expect everyone to raise their kids or run their homes the way I do, every Christian must make those decisions for themselves and work out their own salvation with fear and trembling before this holy God because we will be accountable.
BUT...
those things that are specifically mentioned in scripture as right or wrong cannot be ignored and must be presented as truth to EVERYONE! No matter who might get offended or upset, they can always choose to ignore it but we all have a right to share what we want on here. Opinions is how we learn from one another. I respect everyone on here, but I don't agree. There is a difference. And just as you feel it is not important if someone is married, heteorosexual or Christian to have children, the Word of God tells us otherwise. And unfortunately you feel it is not the voter's business if you as a gay man should be married, but according to God's word it tells us otherwise. So as you see, many of us live our lives according to God's Word and cannot seperate that from who we are and what we believe. It's like asking a dog not to bark or a pc consultant not to say bamboo (just kidding on that one!). And I have told people that they should not smoke because it is bad for a pregnancy. Because I hate smokers? No. Because I care for that person and their unborn child. It might not go over well but it is the truth! I think everyone should share their experiences, opinions and beliefs on here.

Debbie :chef:

Debbie,
I never said I hate smokers. And many Christians who hold the Bible as the absolute truth and use Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, still eat pork, shrimp, and wear clothing of mixed fibers (all mortal sins, if we should believe the "absolute truth").
My partner, an ordained rabbi, would like to know how many slaves you have. Slaves are allowed and common in the Bible. And how many wives does your husband have. Several are common in the Bible. So is stoning your daughter to death for disobedience. These "absolute truths" don't play well in my house.
If you choose to hold a Bible as a shield between yourself and the truth, please be prepared to utilize it in its entirety. Not just pick and choose to suit your faith.
I don't wish to escalate this into a war, so please, enjoy your faith, but please allow me to enjoy the rights I deserve. Not what you think I should have. I don't do that to you.

<h2>1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?</h2><p>The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.</p><h2>2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?</h2><p>It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.</p><h2>3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?</h2><p>At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.</p><h2>4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?</h2><p>The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.</p><h2>5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?</h2><p>The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.</p>

1. What exactly is the controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom"?

The controversy surrounding the "Octuplet Mom" revolves around the fact that she gave birth to octuplets (eight babies) while already having six other children, bringing her total number of children to fourteen. Many people are concerned about her ability to financially and emotionally support such a large family, as well as her decision to have more children when she already had six and was struggling to care for them.

2. Is the "Octuplet Mom" employed or does she rely on government assistance?

It has been reported that the "Octuplet Mom" is currently unemployed and relies on government assistance to support her children. She has also received donations and sponsorships from various sources, but it is unclear how long these resources will last.

3. Can the state or government take any action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions?

At this time, it does not appear that the state or government can take any legal action against the "Octuplet Mom" for her decisions. However, there have been discussions about changing laws or regulations to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future.

4. What role did the doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth play in this controversy?

The doctor who assisted with the octuplet birth has been criticized for his role in this controversy. It has been reported that he implanted the woman with multiple embryos, against medical guidelines, which resulted in the high-risk octuplet pregnancy. Some believe that he should be held accountable for his actions and potentially face legal consequences.

5. How is the "Octuplet Mom" handling the criticism and backlash she has received?

The "Octuplet Mom" has not made any public statements about the criticism and backlash she has faced. However, she has received a lot of negative attention and backlash from the media and public, with many questioning her ability to care for her children and criticizing her decisions. It is unclear how she is personally handling this situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • pampered.chris