• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You a Home Schooler? Pay Attention to This!

parents have the constitutional right to home-school their children without having to obtain a credential from the state. This right was established in a recent court ruling, but is still not universally accepted. Many parents like the flexibility of home schooling and fear that strict laws may come from the ruling. Although there are no plans for widespread enforcement or disruption to home-schoolers statewide, the ruling is a reminder that parents are not always in control of their children's education.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
The scariest part of this article, IMHO, is highlighted in red.

Link: San Diego Union-Telegram

Appellate court says a credential is needed to teach children

After treating patients for 15 years, Kathy Adams Morgan hung up her stethoscope to educate her daughter full time at their Point Loma home.

Eight years later, Morgan has no regrets. It's easy to see why.

At 13, Jenny scores high on standardized tests and balances academics with organized sports, Girl Scouts, dance – and the ever-important teenage social life.

But according to a recent state appellate court ruling, it is illegal for Morgan – and the thousands of California parents who home-school their children – to teach without credentials.

“Parents do not have a constitutional right to home school their children,” wrote Justice H. Walter Croskey in a Feb. 28 opinion signed by the two other members of the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

The ruling has rattled home-school families in San Diego County and throughout California. It is the subject of much speculation on the blogs, Web sites and networks that link thousands of home-schoolers statewide.

However, many parents, educators and even lawyers are unsure exactly what the decision means. No one predicts an imminent change for home-schoolers.

“We all take our liberties for granted,” Morgan said. “I couldn't imagine not being able to have the option of home schooling.”

It's unclear how many children are home-schooled in California, but estimates range from 100,000 to 200,000. In San Diego County, educators and home-school networks surmise that as many as 4,000 students get their educations at home.

Many of them are enrolled in independent study programs through school districts, charter schools or private schools. For instance, Jenny Morgan takes some classes, including high school French, and exams at Mt. Everest Academy, a public school that supports home-schoolers in San Diego.

Other students are taught at home under the direction of a parent.

Home schooling in California has been permitted if parents exempt their child from from public school by filing a private school affidavit, which essentially establishes their home as a school; hires a credentialed tutor; or enrolls their child in an independent study program run by an established school while teaching at home.

Many parents like the flexibility of home schooling and fear that strict laws may come from the ruling.

“The law is vague, but that's to our benefit. I would hate to see that change,” said Mary Beth Ring of National City, who home-schools her fifth-grade daughter and 12th-grade son. Her three older children were also home-schooled.

“You've got people who are going to do this no matter what,” Ring said. “If it becomes illegal, then it's just going to become underground.”

The ruling came as a surprise to the home-schooling community because it was not part of an organized campaign targeting this nontraditional style of education. In fact, home schooling was the accidental target in a Los Angeles County social-service investigation.

After following up on a child's claim that his father was abusive, social workers discovered that eight siblings were being home-schooled by their mother through the Sunland Christian School. An attorney representing the two youngest children asked a judge to order them to attend a traditional school, saying the home education was deficient.

The judge agreed the education was “lousy,” “meager” and “bad,” but he denied the request. He said families had a constitutional right to home-school their children.

The county appealed and the 2nd District court, based in Los Angeles, ordered the children to attend a school.

However, there do not appear to be plans for widespread enforcement or disruption to home-schoolers statewide.

Legal experts say the ruling is a long time coming, given that home schooling is virtually unregulated in California.

“What the court did say is that parents no longer have the right to home-school your kid any way you want, that it's legal for the state to regulate how you home-school your kid,” said Shaun Martin, a law professor at the University of San Diego who has been following the case.

Martin said school districts and social workers have been reluctant to scrutinize suspect home schools for fear of lawsuits. The ruling, he expects, will make it easier for them to monitor parents who have neglected or under-educated children through home schooling.

A spokeswoman for the California Department of Education said staff lawyers are reviewing the case. Home-school advocates are rallying to protect their rights, and an appeal is already in the works.

“There are going to be a lot of parents forced to make some very difficult decisions if an appeal is not successful,” said Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute, a conservative legal organization preparing to fight the ruling on behalf of Sunland Christian School.

Dacus said he will appeal to the state Supreme Court.

Once considered a practice of the ultra religious or nonconformists, home schooling has gained wider support in recent years. Along with charter schools and private schools, home schooling has become one of the standard alternatives to a traditional public education.

Many families keep their children at home to give them a custom-made education that is in sync with their morals or religious beliefs. Others do it in response to school violence. Some enroll their children in independent-study programs to accommodate intensive athletic training, acting or music careers.

“We don't home-school to hide away from the world; we do it because it is best for our kids,” said Ring of National City. “It's hard work and it's not for everybody. But it works for a lot of us.”

I do home school, and that is scary. I am in VA and I make sure that I am always watching any changes to laws that might limit my ability to teach my own children. Fortunately, nothing that drastic is happening here this year. Linda

You'd like to hope that you're far enough away from the left coast that this won't effect you - but it will. Be vigilant - the insanity that starts in California always seems to find its way eastward.

Florida is ahead of the pack in the positive aspects of homeschooling. It is very easy to homeschool, we get a lot of support in the state and from public schools, children are allowed to dual enroll to take advantage of things such as band, sports, choir, etc.Can't get elections, property taxes, or insurance right...but we RULE on homeshooling!Robin

This whole thing has my blood boiling. I live in CA and taught in public schools here for 10 years. I would not put my children in most of the public schools here. My son is only 18 months and we have another on the way, but we are already thinking about our options. My husband is a public school administrator and I stay at home, so our income is limited in sending the kids to private schools. Home schooling is a big option.

The CTA (California Teachers' Association) is huge and will do anything to keep ALL children in their public schools. We've come close to passing voucher laws, but of course, the CTA's big money won't let that happen.

There are a whole host of issues that I can get going on about the teachers' unions, but I just stop at this home schooling issue.

It's unbelievable that now they are trying to take more parental rights AWAY!

What is this world coming to?????:mad:

In-f*cking-sane. I'm so, so angry by this.My stepdaughter is in the public schools. I believe I personally don't have the patience to teach her. In a perfect world, if she were my child so that I had more input, I'd love to be able to at least *try.* I haven't completed a college degree. But I *know* I have the intelligence to teach. Any judge who tried to tell me different, I'd be standing outside his chambers asking him who exactly he thought he was, telling me how I could educate my child.Can you tell I think rather strongly about this? LOL.

Someone is always trying to stop us. Let them keep trying. HSLDA and other homeschool groups were unaware that this was happening because it involved non-HSLDA members in a private hearing. Of course, HSLDA will fight this. Even Governor Schwarzenegger has pledged to fight it.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/07/INCHVG0SD.DTL&type=politics

Gotta love Cali! They don't want you to keep them home because they want them to suffer in their wonderful "all year school system"!

Very long response, but from someone dealing with this issue in California. Basically, some of what has been said is a misinterpretation, some of it is true.IF YOU ARE ASKED TO SIGN A PETITION, PLEASE DO NOT. IT IS NOT SANCTIONED BY THOSE WORKING ON THE CASE AND COULD DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD.Robin"I have been astonished about the hype about this case. So many have been
making sensational claims that parents will be criminally prosecuted, etc.Please rest assured about a number of things. First, the law, other than
this court's interpretation, hasn't changed. Parents involved in a truancy
prosecution might face criminal charges, but only after a rather lengthy
series of hearings and court orders, and only if the parents failed to
comply with the orders. It would be a criminal contempt charge, which isn't
nothing but doesn't land you in Pelican Bay.We have never known conscientious parents ever to be prosecuted under
truancy laws to the point of contempt charges. It's highly unlikely.The media also appear to be saying that no one can teach their children
without a credential. I am not certain that the holding is that broad, and
I also doubt it would survive legal challenge.The holding really applied to private ISPs (there are persistent
mistatements, that began with fact statements in the case, that the family
was enrolled in a charter. Obviously a school with the name "Christian" in
it wouldn't be a public charter. It was a private ISP). It could be read
by someone reading broadly as applying to any situation where the child is
not continuously in the presence of a credentialed teacher.The court started on a very slippery path of appearing to think that some
situations were OK and others weren't, effectively trying to enact an entire
code of regulations for governing this situation from the bench. He hasn't
been given the constitutional authority, of course, to do this.How do we get rid of this case?There are a number of paths. One is seeking actual review by the Supreme
Court. HSC and at least several of the other major groups' legal teams
aren't in favor of that. Even if you could get the court to accept your
petition (they only take 3-5% of cases), the chances that it will be decided
the way you want aren't real good. It's a very dangerous road to take,
because if the Supreme Court were to affirm the appellate court ruling on
either of the main points (constitutional or statutory), there aren't many
options left. The constitutional argument, of course, could be appealed to
the US Supreme Court, but the statutory case about the proper interpretation
of the California Education Code could not. California Supreme Court
is the last stop on that road. If that happens, then you have two bad
choices that I'll discuss below.There is another much easier choice, and it's the one we want, as well as
the one being trumpeted in the HSLDA petition. You ask the California
Supreme Court to depublish the opinion, or, in other words, have them say
that while this might have been the right result in this particular case
involving this particular set of facts, the court finds that the reach of
the opinion is overbroad and should not become law for the entire state.
That is the choice we all (meaning HSC and, I believe, the other groups)
want.You get this by filing a letter with the Supreme Court in compliance with
the applicable rules of court. While anyone can file one by stating their
interest, we DO NOT think it is an appropriate use of grassroots activism.
We DO NOT want every HSC member or HSLDA member or grandmother or irate
citizen dashing off their letters to the Supreme Court. There are sober,
measured, legal arguments to make about why depublication is appropriate,
and those arguments are made after researching the applicable standards,
etc. The Supreme Court will not be swayed positively by public outcry. In
fact, it could backfire, and backfire badly.If the Supreme Court affirms on the statutory points, then the two bad
choices are to either seek legislation or to do nothing and hope that a
further case is brought that can involve a better set of facts and better
explanation of the issues (and reaching a better result). Both are very
dangerous. Legislation isn't the answer because of the extraordinary
strength of the teachers' union. It is unlikely we will see any legislation
ultimately pass that gives us the freedom we have today. And the second
choice is dangerous. I know lots of families that would make terrific test
case defendants -- they're
conscientious, they actually get their kids educated, they follow the laws.
But we don't get to pick who the family is. As a friend of mine said, we
couldn't have gotten a worse set of facts for this case if we had a contest.We are trying to get one or more of the fanciest law firms in the state to
help us on taking the fangs out of this case. We know what we're doing.
Please let us do our jobs.I would be personally, professionally, and, as a representative of HSC,
globally grateful if everyone on this list would calm down and ask others to
calm down. Specifically, I would ask people:a. Not to write to the Supreme Court or any court.b. Not to talk to their legislators or make any public statements about a
need for legislation.c. Tell their neighbors, friends, lists, groups both of the above and to
educate them about the choices available and about how panic isn't
necessary, marches on Sacramento aren't necessary, etc.I wish this were the type of situation where we could put the fury, passion
and energy of the members of this list to good use. Trust me, if we end up
having to go the legislative route, we will have that situation at some
points. But this isn't that type of situation, and too many folks stirring
things up hurts instead of helps.Thanks for listening.Debbie Schwarzer HSC Legal Team Co-chair"

Robin,

Thank you for passing the info.

I received this from one of my homeschooling groups, just thought I would share.
"As usual, there seems to be more to the story than the news would lead one to believe...this from another homeschooling list....
Thu Mar 6, 2008 8:57 am (PST)
The family made it a "homeschooling" issue by being uncooperative with
social case workers during mandated anger management/parentin g classes and
then by refusing to accept court ordered health and welfare visits. The
family claimed they did not have to cooperate because first they were native
Americans (which the court papers I saw was an off-hand "I think my family
has x tribe blood in them" not a family living within a reservation or under
native jurisdiction in other areas) then because they had a "Constitutional
right" to homeschool and in their opinion did not have to report to anyone.The court ruled that they did not have a Constitutional RIGHT to homeschool
(but did not rule that homeschooling was UNconstituational) . Further, the
court states that this is an extraordinary writ which is directed to this
particular family that their children be schooled out of the home because
there are already numerous substantiated child abuse allegations AND a
non-compliant (to remedies, therapy, supervision and treatment) father.
Furthermore, they did not believe that this family would cooperate with a
tutor even if they used a certified teacher-tutor at home at this point.It is my research and reading that this is a child abuse/neglect case and
the court ruled on the specific "defense" of homeschooling as insufficient
to protect this family from complying with the court's ordered supervision.Should we watch the law surround this? Yes, you bet. Reading knee-jerk
commentary of uneducated parties in comments on news stories shows that
there are those who would use this specific writ to regulate or obliterate
homeschooling. In contrast, the court records that I have accessed suggest
a court that is trying to act in the best interest of children at risk and
is frustrated by irrelevant claims of exemption from the law."

That's a good point.I didn't read any of the ruling, but the articles I read made it seem that rather than directing the "no home schooling" directly at this family, the judge made it more of a "blanket" statement that would establish a precedent.I agree with the judge for this case- from everything I have read, those children need to be in an environment where other people had contact with them, for their protection.

time2cook said:
<snip>Should we watch the law surround this? Yes, you bet. Reading knee-jerk commentary of uneducated parties in comments on news stories shows that there are those who would use this specific writ to regulate or obliterate homeschooling. In contrast, the court records that I have accessed suggest a court that is trying to act in the best interest of children at risk and is frustrated by irrelevant claims of exemption from the law."

Bingo - the judge, perhaps, made the right ruling for this case. Unfortunately, the decision that might be right for this case is not a one-size-fits-all ruling, but now the law of unintended consequences kicks in because the decision is precedent. The forces that want to obliterate home schooling are going to rally around this ruling to support their campaign. You're going to hear the phrase, the one I highlighted in red, used by people on both sides of the big issue.

The Furry Guy and I were appalled when we heard the news report. Those of you who homeschool have our prayers and support.

1. What does "Are You a Home Schooler? Pay Attention to This!" mean?

Our company, Pampered Chef, offers a variety of products and resources for home schooling families. This phrase is a reminder to home schoolers to pay attention to our products and services that can benefit their educational experience.

2. What types of products and resources does Pampered Chef offer for home schoolers?

We offer a wide range of products that can be used in home schooling lessons, such as kitchen tools and cooking sets for hands-on learning activities. We also have recipe books and cooking classes that can be incorporated into home school curriculum. Additionally, we have resources for organization and meal planning, which can be helpful for busy home schooling families.

3. Are the products and resources specifically designed for home schooling, or can they be used by anyone?

While our products and resources are marketed towards home schooling families, they can be used by anyone. Our kitchen tools and cooking sets are suitable for all types of cooking and our recipe books and cooking classes are great for anyone looking to improve their cooking skills.

4. Can Pampered Chef products and resources be used for all ages in home schooling?

Yes, we have products and resources that can be utilized for all ages. Our cooking sets and tools are suitable for younger children to learn basic cooking skills, while our recipe books and cooking classes offer more advanced recipes for older students. Our organization and meal planning resources can also benefit home schooling parents of any age.

5. How can I incorporate Pampered Chef products and resources into my home schooling curriculum?

Our products and resources can be incorporated in a variety of ways. Our cooking sets and tools can be used for hands-on learning in subjects like math and science. Our recipe books and cooking classes can be used for teaching life skills and cultural diversity. Our organization and meal planning resources can help with time management and budgeting lessons. The possibilities are endless!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies
Views
Kathytnt