• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can a Mix N' Chop be used for more than just mashing?

In summary, Hubby brought me in a huge bucket full of grapes to make jelly this morning. The potato masher just wasn't getting the job done and it was then that I saw my mix n' chop. I used it to mash bananas for banana bread, and it was great to mash strawberries when I made the Strawberry Lime Dessert Topping.
itsjustCarla
Hubby brought me in a huge bucket full of grapes to make jelly this morning.

A potato masher just wasn't getting the job done and it was then that I saw my mix n' chop......IT WORKED GREAT at mashing all those grapes.

just had to share:balloon:

What do you do to make your own jelly??? That's a new one for me.

Mmmm...sounds great!

We had blackberry bushes in the back yard growing up. I remember picking them and mom making lots of stuff. We had a pretty nice garden as well, which I would love to have in my yard now. Wonder if I could grow grapes and blackberries as well?!?!?!

I also read somewhere that someone used it to crush crackers up for a casserole and it made the perfect size or texture crumbs!

I used it the other day to crumble the hash brown patties for the Brunch Squares. I can't take credit for that tip - someone here posted it.

Great idea!! When I canned tomatoes the other day I used it to crush them up too!! Worked awesome!

I used it tonight to make the turkey gyros from the new cookbook. YUM!!

We use it to smash avacados for guacamole.

JaimeQ said:

That's agreat idea. I have it, but I've not used it. Everyone seems to buy it. I don't ever talk about it, but for some reason it's a huge seller. I'm so happy to hear all of these different uses for it. Maybe I'll start using mine.

My husband loves it to make his Michigan sauce.

minersmix said:
My husband loves it to make his Michigan sauce.

Michigan sauce, what is that??

Also, you are only the third person I have come across in the year I have been on this site that is from New York. Where are you from???

You are even a New Yorker. I am surprised that you do not know. Actually it is a meat sauce that we put on hot dogs. No, not chilli sauce. It is much better, and there is no beans in it. Here in Northern New York it is a contest to see who can make the best Michigan sauce. I am not a big hot dog fan so I eat it just on the roll.

Are you upstate New York??? I'm on Long Island and I've never heard of Michigan Sauce.

Yes, very upstate. We border Vermont and Canada. We actually live in the Adirondack Park. It is very beautiful here. The biggest city near us is Plattsburgh. It used to be an airforce base years ago. We are about 1 hour from Montreal.

Love these tips with the Mix n' Chop! :thumbup: I too am an upstate New Yorker...I am about 1 mile from Kingston, Ontario. Minersmix, you are a true UPSTATE New York person. Usually upstate New York is any territory JUST north of NY City!

minersmix said:
You are even a New Yorker. I am surprised that you do not know. Actually it is a meat sauce that we put on hot dogs. No, not chilli sauce. It is much better, and there is no beans in it. Here in Northern New York it is a contest to see who can make the best Michigan sauce. I am not a big hot dog fan so I eat it just on the roll.
I'm from PA and we call it "coney sauce" lol

I use my mix n chop for scrambled eggs - it works wonders!!!!!

JaimeQ said:
I just tried it tonight and it was awesome, the best masher I've used!

Oooh, yummy! I'm making those brunch squares tomorrow, so I'llhave to use it for the hashbrowns. Do you just mash them up in the bar pan with the mix n chop???

I used it to mash bananas for banana bread, and it was great to mash strawberries when I made the Strawberry Lime Dessert Topping. That thing is AWESOME!

pamperedbecky said:
Oooh, yummy! I'm making those brunch squares tomorrow, so I'llhave to use it for the hashbrowns. Do you just mash them up in the bar pan with the mix n chop???
That's what I did. Used the MNC to break them up into little pieces, then I pressed them down into a single even layer.

Using for the hashbrowns, that's a great idea!!! I love the brunch squares but breaking up the hashbrowns is time consuming.

I used the Mix N Chop for chopping sliced almonds...
I was making the Mexican Chocolate Cake ( NEW SBRC) it says chop it with the FC...But I measured the almonds in the Prep Bowl...then put my hand over the spindles of the Mix N Chop...and chopped away right in the Prep Bowl...shook it so the big pieces were on top...and chopped more...worked just fine!
The mix n chop fits almost to the bottom of the Prep Bowl. and it's sharp enough to do the job.

minersmix said:

In my neck of the NY state woods, we called it Texas Sauce. We have a little mom & pop hot dog place that it is famous for. Of course my dad came up with his own recipe and I loved using in on onion rings too!

One of my sister-consultants uses hers to make egg salad. I am still only using mine for meat, sausage and ground beef. Man, am I behind the curve:rolleyes: ;)

Great ideas. I especially love the use of bananas for bananas nut bread. I will try that next time I make some. I can't wait to tell my customers the other uses for it.

Shannon

Chef Kearns said:
One of my sister-consultants uses hers to make egg salad. I am still only using mine for meat, sausage and ground beef. Man, am I behind the curve:rolleyes: ;)

I actually use the large attachment for my cheese grater to make my egg salad. It works great!!! I have the Mix 'N Chop, but I've never used it. I thought it was a silly product, but listening to all of you I really have to think outside of the box and pull it out and use it.

Baychef, where is your border crossing from? 1000 islands? Ogdensburg? I grew up near Watertown and worked in the 1000 Islands before we moved here.

The mix n' chop is good for potato salad, egg salad, and tuna salad also.

I have heard of using it to cut up potatoes for potatoes salad.
Love it when I make tacos!

Here in my area of New York (between Syracuse and Utica) I have never heard of any of those sauces! :confused: Loved to try them though.

Kelly V.

I love it when we make tacos too!! It gets the meat nice and fine and it fits down in the shell much better.

Michigan SauceFirst, I do not know why it is called Michigan Sauce but here is the recipe.

1 1/2 pounds of hamburg
1 sm finely chopped onion
1 small can tomato paste

Use tomato paste can to measure:
1 1/c cans of ketchup
3/4 can water

1 tbsp yellow prepared mustard
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Frank's hot sauce
1 package McCormick Chilli seasoning mix (original)

Place all ingredients in sauce pan, do not brown hamburg first. Mix well. Cook on low heat simmer 2-3 hours. Use mix and chop to stir often.

If you make this let me know what you think.

what is the measurement for the ketchup?

Use the empty tomato paste can
1 1/2 cans ketchup

That sounds like a spicy sloppy joe. I will have to try it out.

I love all the ideas for the MNC. I use it to shred my boiled chicken and pork.

tpchefrebecca said:
That sounds like a spicy sloppy joe. I will have to try it out.

I love all the ideas for the MNC. I use it to shred my boiled chicken and pork.

That's what I thought, it sounds like a sloppy joe.

No, it is not soupy or not that spicy. It is more like a beanless chilli.

another couple of usespress onto Peanut Butter cookie before baking rather than a fork.

Also, when baking sugar cookies, when they come out of oven, put in food coloring and put on cookie for star shape.

My sister said works great to do walnuts

Neice uses it to make brownie mix and it also "scraps" bowl as you empty bowl.

HTH

Lisa

I used mine last night to make hamburger gravy for The Furry Guy. It's great because the hamburger is all crumbly, and I can use the same tool to stir the gravy.

I use my mix-n-chop when I am making chicken salad. After you have cooked your chicken breasts and they have cooled. Take your mix-n-chop to chop your chicken into bite size pieces. It really works nicely! :)

WOW!! Thanks for all of these great ideas for the MNC!!!

My mother-in-law came up with this one. When I do the clubhouse chicken squares at a show, I drain the can of chicken using the can strainer then use the mix-n-chop to separate the chicken into smaller parts. I don't have to touch the chicken and crumble it up this way. It also works well with tuna so that smell doesn't stay on your hands.

ok so a compilation of uses so I can remember them all together.... add anything if I missed:

ground meat
Potatoes
Bananas
Avocados
Grapes
crackers
chicken
Eggs
tomatoes
almonds/ nusts
cookie press for PB and sugar star design
hashbrowns

katie0128 said:
We had blackberry bushes in the back yard growing up. I remember picking them and mom making lots of stuff. We had a pretty nice garden as well, which I would love to have in my yard now. Wonder if I could grow grapes and blackberries as well?!?!?!

I would love to give some of the blackberries we having growing on our property. :D We have 5 acres and the blackberries are wild and grow EVERYWHERE. Except where the goats and pigs have eaten them down. :)

Love the great additional ideas for the Mix 'N Chop. I use mine all the time to make banana bread. The kiddos love to help.

break up the hash brown patties for the new brunch squares!

Since you mentioned crackers, has anyone tried it on softer nuts, like pecans? My grandma doesn't like the food chopper, cuz they are too small, and can't find anything that will chop them the right size.

FYI, I did try pecans with the nuts, and it works wonderfully! My grandma said it is better than anything she has, and faster than chopping with the knife! :-D

One night my family wanted spaghetti and all I had in the pantry was stewed tomatoes, no tomato sauce. I dumped the stewed tomatoes in the pan, added our Italian seasoning, started using the mix and chop and had awesome slightly chunky tomato sauce in no time. Family loved it. Also, I had a customer who said they use it for making refried beans.

One of my hostesses uses her Mix & Chop to push fruit down in her blender when making smoothies.

So do we have a file compiled of the uses for the Mix N' Chop? I would like to add it to my files if possible.

<h2>1. Can I use the Mix N' Chop for more than just mashing?</h2><p>Yes, the Mix N' Chop is a versatile kitchen tool that can be used for a variety of tasks, including chopping, mixing, and even breaking up ground meats. It is great for making homemade sauces, dips, and even guacamole!</p><h2>2. Is the Mix N' Chop easy to clean?</h2><p>Absolutely! The Mix N' Chop is dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean after use. It can also be easily cleaned by hand with soap and water.</p><h2>3. Can the Mix N' Chop be used on non-stick cookware?</h2><p>Yes, the Mix N' Chop is safe to use on all types of cookware, including non-stick surfaces. Its silicone head is gentle on pots and pans, preventing scratches.</p><h2>4. How does the Mix N' Chop compare to a traditional potato masher?</h2><p>The Mix N' Chop is designed with a unique blade pattern that allows for more efficient mashing and mixing. It also has a longer handle for better leverage and a more comfortable grip.</p><h2>5. Can the Mix N' Chop be used for canning and preserving fruits and vegetables?</h2><p>Absolutely! The Mix N' Chop is perfect for mashing fruits and vegetables for canning and preserving. Its sturdy design and sharp blades make it easy to break down ingredients for sauces, jams, and jellies.</p>

1. Can I use the Mix N' Chop for more than just mashing?

Yes, the Mix N' Chop is a versatile kitchen tool that can be used for a variety of tasks, including chopping, mixing, and even breaking up ground meats. It is great for making homemade sauces, dips, and even guacamole!

2. Is the Mix N' Chop easy to clean?

Absolutely! The Mix N' Chop is dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean after use. It can also be easily cleaned by hand with soap and water.

3. Can the Mix N' Chop be used on non-stick cookware?

Yes, the Mix N' Chop is safe to use on all types of cookware, including non-stick surfaces. Its silicone head is gentle on pots and pans, preventing scratches.

4. How does the Mix N' Chop compare to a traditional potato masher?

The Mix N' Chop is designed with a unique blade pattern that allows for more efficient mashing and mixing. It also has a longer handle for better leverage and a more comfortable grip.

5. Can the Mix N' Chop be used for canning and preserving fruits and vegetables?

Absolutely! The Mix N' Chop is perfect for mashing fruits and vegetables for canning and preserving. Its sturdy design and sharp blades make it easy to break down ingredients for sauces, jams, and jellies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AmyDare
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
AldeaY
  • thebowman
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • Jennie4PC