• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Thoughtful Advise: Jealousy of 22 Year Old!

In summary, Kris's long time boyfriend is in jail and she recently graduated from college. Her son is the president of his school, active in many clubs, and is being recruited by many colleges. Her husband is a republican and recently attended a democratic caucus. Phil was the top vote getter and is now an elected delegate. Last night, Kris was hostile when her dad shared the news with a friend.
finley1991
Dream Patrol PostcardsDid I dream this (so to speak) or did we get a notice from HO that if we recruited in Jan we'd get another dream patrol postcard with Jean on it?

Oh yeah, we did get an email about that! I can't wait to see them!!!!

Yes!! Signed one on the 31st (pheeew!) It was slow month, but this month I have a bunch of leads (whoohoo)

I cannot wait to see them, they really do motivate me! I'm silly I know!:p

oooh, just noticed I have a "whisk":party:

I think they motivate a lot of us! (I bet there's a couple corporate types scratching their heads over this one, but I seriously want those post cards :))

I have had the worst few days, both at work and at home. I'm feeling overwhelmed and would welcome some feedback on a situation that has developed in our family.

I'm long winded so will do my best to keep this short:

I am married and have two children, a 22 year old daughter, Kristina, and an 18 year old son, Phillip.

My daughter recently graduated from a 2 year degree program and is working at a local hospital. She also recently purchased a home, on her own. Kris does not drink or use drugs or any kind, however, her long time boyfriend is in jail for charges related to drug use. She has worked hard thru some serious issues in her young live and we are proud of her achievements as well as her strong committment to things that she is interested in. Kristina was the editor of her high school yearbook, a good student but one who hated school. She has very few friends. She determined to finish college -- which she did -- but without any real goals and with no desire to go anywhere outside of colleges in a 30 mile radious.

My son is, in many ways, completely opposite of Kris. He is the ASB president of his school, he is active in many, many clubs, he has received awards in many of his clubs, including DECA, he received a very high ACT on his first try and is being recruited by many colleges, inlcuding Harvard. He has already been accepted by one of his main out of state colleges and has had an interview with Harvard. He is not a straight A student but he likes school and enjoys learning.

I am very proud of both of them. They bring different elements of compassion and committment with them in everything they do. Kris and Phil are actually quite close as siblings of this age go.

The problem? They are both committed Obama fans and they recently attended a huge ralley together (flying to the site on their own dime). Following that rally was the presidential democratic caucus in our county. All three of us attended (my hubby is republican) and Phil was doing his utmost to follow the causus philosphy and try to give "undecideds" a reason to switch to the Obama side. (If you've been to a caucus, this makes sense, if you haven't, then sorry for any confusion...it is a wierd little system.) Anyhow, a part of the process is to allow members of the audience to give brief speeches to try to present their voice on why they support a particular candidate. In our local, a caucus that usually has 50-75 people in attendance on a GOOD year drew 500 people this past Tuesday. It was chaotic but Phil wanted to speak and eventually he did (his sister knew he wanted to speak and waited to leave until he had because she was excited for what he would say). Well, Phil spoke. He got to that mike, talked the crowd in a very articulate and empassioned manner. He brought forth many issues from the Obama campaign and did so with confidence.

He received a standing ovation (none of the other 20 or so speeches even came close to that response).

Following the conclusion of the actual caucus, Phil presented himself as a candicate for an elected delegate position to the state convention in June.
There were 31 persons running, with 10 positions available. He was among folks from 18-90 who wanted a slot, many active in our local party for decades.

Phil was the top vote getter and is now an elected delegate.

Last night, I was sharing this exciting news with a friend of mine who called.

When I got off the phone, my daughter, who was at my house helping with my PC biz details, was openly hostile. She said "its always all about Phil and its always been all about Phil...you only mentioned my name once in that entire conversastion". Well, I was flabbergasted. The converstation WAS about Phil's achievements that night. And when I spoke of her, it was of how she was there, how she inspired me to go, and how supportive she was of her brother.

I tried to remind her that I speak about her often to others, about her home ownership, about her perserverance thru some very tough times, about her committment from day one to the Obama campagin, etc....but because it wasn't in that verbal conversatino she said that no, she didn't believe me. It would always be about Phil, I loved him more and just wanted everyone to know hwo great he was. Well, what about her.

Geeze.

Ok, it gets better. She is now done with the PC work she came to help me with and we've had a moderate disagreement and I sit back to relax. But, she then downloads pictures from the caucus using my comptuer so she can send the good ones to herslef and the friends who came with her. In doing so, without my knowledge, she opened my email and read three replies from family members whom I'd sent the news to via email under the subject "my nephew". She read my email and their replies and then had another conniption fit saying that her name was only mentioned once (there was more there about her involvement but I only used her name once).

Well, I had a conniption fit of my own now. I had been getting more and more angry at her attitude, feeling that yes, I probably could do a better job of mentioning her name but in no way leaving her out. And, SHE VIOLATED MY PRIVACY BY READING MY EMAILS. Her answer to that? "Well, you shouldn't have handed me your comptuer." WRONG ANSWER.

So I did something I do about once every 3 years...I started yelling and screaming. I told her that I have always gone out of my way to share her successes with people -- just ask. She again told me I wasn't really doing that and I said "how would you know! I then told her I was offended about her reading the emails and that I wanted her to leave.

She continued to argue and I was so upset I just went upstairs to my room and felt my heart beating way to fast for the next few hours. Kris spoke to my hubby and I could hear her crying once but then it moved to laughter.

He has not shared yet with me what their conversation was about but I knwo she is not speaking to me cause we work in the same hospital and she is making it very clear that she will not speak to me.

SO....What adise do any of you have? I am very, very torn... this in an important time in my sons life and his accomplishments are worth sharing. I am not taking adds out int he paper or anything I am just sharing with friends and family! I do not feel I should NOT acknowlege my sons achievements simply to make Kristina not feel "ignored". When she has her star momemts, I always praise them and share them too!

I am just sick over this. What should be a happy time for the three of us to work on the Obama campaign together has turned into a jeolous nightmare.

Sorry so long.

HELPPPPPPP. :cry:

Give her time. I think this really is her problem not yours. Be available, but she needs to work through her struggles with this. If she is in counselling, great. If not, pray she starts. But dont tell her to go or I am pretty sure she will fire up on you again. I dont think you did anything wrong. And I dont really think you can 'fix' it. I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds gut wrenching.

I agree with Friday... it's really her deal. She's going through some kind of internal struggle and sounds like she's taking it out on you. Give her time and space and just try to keep normal communications open... She should be old enough to take it with grace but everyone's different. She should also have respected your privacy but it sounds like curiosity got the better of her. I hate to say this but it sounds like she's having a tantrum and I don't know that you could tell her that but hopefully she's got friends she can talk with who may tell her to grow up a little and just be happy for her brother. She has her times to shine too, we all do...Sibling jealousy is tough though. I used to be VERY jealous of my older sibs thinking they had such an amazing bond when they were younger (they're all 10+years older than me) but eventually time and maturity had me see that while that may have been then, it's not now and it's allowed me to get closer to them on my own level today - I no longer worry about the past. But that takes time and maturity...

Well first of all...I don't know that you can really convince her differently...but she needs to grow up about this...and she will...just DON'T LET HER RUIN HIS EXCITEMENT.

What she needs to understand is that your life does not revolve around her. Is she happy for her brother? Has she spoke to him about this? Maybe he should say something to her like "it upsets me that you gave mom a hard time about being happy for me". Put it back on her, she is taking away excitement from him and it's not fair. Good luck, keep us updated.

Thanks to all who have replied. It has helped to calm me down and get a bit more focused on this issue. In my heart I know I did nothing wrong, but the emotions of the situation make it hard to sort that out at first! I especially appreciate the last post suggesting I speak to my son and have HIM say something to my daughter. They do have a close relationship, and yes, they are quite close. She IS happy for him and is probably proudly telling everyone she knows what he has done and his delegate election!

Again, thanks.

Got my January postcard today! Woo-hoo! :)

finley1991 said:
Got my January postcard today! Woo-hoo! :)
What's on it? Is Jean an Astronaut (sp?) or something? We should make suggestions. :)

Addie4TLC said:
What's on it? Is Jean an Astronaut (sp?) or something? We should make suggestions. :)

Not an astronaut... but she is the engineer of a train... the "3-2-1 express"

:D

How cool. I recruited one Jan. 28, just in time to not get charged for that last quick start box. :) Didn't get my post card today though...

How funny! I got a February one (and a 2nd one to come this week!) and it's Jean holding a string of cut out pink paper hearts that say 3-2-1 on them. It says something like "You're a cut above the rest" or something like that. cute!!:sun:

I signed two in January and I got one of each of the cards mentioned above. They came in today's mail. :)

Got mine today too!!! Love Jean!!:party:

I have not received mine yet. I am very excited about them. I will get one for January and one for February. I am hoping to earn more for February.

Lisa

I got one for January yesterday! I'm hoping to get a February one as well!!! I have a recruit lead attending tonights meeting!! She's a lead from SEPTEMBER!!!

pampmomof3 said:
I got one for January yesterday! I'm hoping to get a February one as well!!! I have a recruit lead attending tonights meeting!! She's a lead from SEPTEMBER!!!

My Feb recruit is from September too! She said after the new year, so guess the saying proves true to keep in touch! Good Luck to ya, if she's coming to the meeting I'm sure it's in the bag!:D:party:

Related to Need Thoughtful Advise: Jealousy of 22 Year Old!

1. How can I overcome my jealousy towards a 22 year old?

Jealousy is a natural emotion, but it can be harmful if not managed properly. One way to overcome jealousy is to focus on your own accomplishments and strengths rather than comparing yourself to others. Also, try to practice gratitude and focus on the positive aspects of your own life.

2. Is it normal to feel jealous of a younger person?

Yes, it is normal to feel jealous of someone younger, especially if they seem to have achieved more success or have qualities that you desire. However, it's important to remember that everyone's journey is unique and comparing yourself to others will only bring negative feelings.

3. How can I stop feeling resentful towards this 22 year old?

One way to stop feeling resentful is to try to understand the root of your feelings. Are you feeling insecure about your own accomplishments or feeling like you're not where you want to be in life? Once you identify the source of your resentment, you can work towards addressing it and letting go of those negative feelings.

4. What can I do to improve my self-confidence in this situation?

Improving self-confidence takes time and effort, but it can greatly help in overcoming jealousy. One way to improve self-confidence is to engage in activities that you enjoy and excel at. Surrounding yourself with supportive and positive people can also help boost your self-esteem.

5. How can I turn my feelings of jealousy into motivation?

Jealousy can be a powerful motivator if channeled in the right way. Instead of letting it consume you, use it as fuel to work towards achieving your own goals and successes. This can also help shift your focus from the other person and onto your own growth and development.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chef_kimmo
  • pamperedposey
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
chefann
  • PampMomof3
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies