• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Price Differences: My Struggle as a Border City Consultant

F
friday
I have just lost my fourth show THIS MONTH due to price differences in the US. Apparently there are consultants in the Port Huron/Detroit area who are doing catalogue shows, and even crossing border and presenting cooking shows. I can understand that when a bar pan costs $42.50 here and $29 there. But what am I supposed to tell my team- who are having the same problem. Customers don't really care if they have to cross border to get exchanges done. Its only 6 minutes away from my front door to the US.
I called HO and was told that they really haven't heard about this kind of problem and that my situation is unique. REALLY?? Are there that few border city consultants?
I am so very frustrated. I had scheduled 6 shows for January and was feeling pumped about a great start to the new year. Now I am down to 2. What do you all think? I need help because I am feeling so very frustrated.

Aw, that sucks!

How do US consultants get into Canada with a car full of brand-new products (for deliveries) without being stopped at the border? My coworker (who has a cottage in Ontario where she lives 90% of the time) has been stopped for having too many things in boxes. The border agent thought she had more than what was considered "personal use." And they'd have to carry them over because HO won't ship to Canada from a US consultant's show; and re-shipping them would eat any price difference.

Alison I would call HO about this. I know that there has been alot of talk about this lately and not just with PC. Tell them that you have lost customers because of this. HO needs to hear about this from us. A lot of people in my cluster complained and are still doing so.

There is a write up on CC about US/Canadian pricing and I thought it was a lot of hog wash myself. I do expect there to be some difference but somethings are way out of line.

chefann said:
Aw, that sucks!

How do US consultants get into Canada with a car full of brand-new products (for deliveries) without being stopped at the border? My coworker (who has a cottage in Ontario where she lives 90% of the time) has been stopped for having too many things in boxes. The border agent thought she had more than what was considered "personal use." And they'd have to carry them over because HO won't ship to Canada from a US consultant's show; and re-shipping them would eat any price difference.

People just go over and drive them over. I have brought an entire pick up truck with the bed AND the cab loaded full of crates of music and been waved through at customs. Its pretty rare to get hauled over at the Canadian border. SHOOT, when my husband entered the country- he landed in Detroit, at the Canadian border they asked Citizenship and he said Chilean- and they WAVED US THROUGH!! He didnt even have to show ID!!!

...and if they do catalog shows they aren't carrying products over.I REALLY think you guys should complain again to HO...there are SOOOO many issues with that.One being liability. I'm sure a US consultant liability insurance does not cover us in Canada.Plus, the whole customs and declaration thing...I'm sure there are many more legal issues.

Alison - just a side note. Don't get discouraged. If people are really crossing the borders, they aren't loyal customers anyway. Keep chugging and looking for those good customers!...oh and ask them how they are getting their warranty exchanges done????

Janet you have touched on some very important issues and HO does need to know if they don't already that is this happening.

One more thought hit me...how is the US consultant entering it...definitely not as a Canadian address. Hopefully, she is at least getting the correct names in the system...It doesn't allow PC to give proper service to their customers either...

janetupnorth said:
One more thought hit me...how is the US consultant entering it...definitely not as a Canadian address. Hopefully, she is at least getting the correct names in the system...

It doesn't allow PC to give proper service to their customers either...

I would guess the customers name c/o her own address.

rennea said:
I would guess the customers name c/o her own address.

That's what I figured but still an issue...

Alison did you ever contact HO about this problem? Did you notice that our stoneware prices went down....not alot though!!

rennea said:
Alison did you ever contact HO about this problem? Did you notice that our stoneware prices went down....not alot though!!

I did contact HO. Apparently the rule about selling in other countries was omitted from the paperwork but not because it is now allowed. Turns out that presenting shows for the purpose of producing income in Canada (for US girls) and vice versa, is a federal tax law violation, AND a customs and immigration violation. You are not allowed to earn money in a country where you are not authorized (through green card or work permit) to do so. Potentially people who do it could be banned from entering the other country for an period of time to be determined by a JUDGE!!!! (ouch)

friday said:
I did contact HO. Apparently the rule about selling in other countries was omitted from the paperwork but not because it is now allowed. Turns out that presenting shows for the purpose of producing income in Canada (for US girls) and vice versa, is a federal tax law violation, AND a customs and immigration violation. You are not allowed to earn money in a country where you are not authorized (through green card or work permit) to do so. Potentially people who do it could be banned from entering the other country for an period of time to be determined by a JUDGE!!!! (ouch)

OMG!!!!!!!!! I think that they should have that information in the paperwork:eek:

Yes, they should send an IMPORTANT reminder out!!!!

1. What are the main reasons for price differences in different areas?

The main reasons for price differences in different areas can include varying costs of production, distribution, and transportation, as well as differences in local taxes and tariffs. In the case of border cities, exchange rates and import/export regulations can also play a role.

2. How do these price differences affect consultants in border cities?

Price differences can greatly affect consultants in border cities, as they may struggle to compete with consultants in neighboring areas who can offer lower prices due to lower costs of doing business. This can lead to lost sales and frustration for consultants who are trying to run a successful business.

3. Are there any solutions for dealing with these price differences?

One solution could be to work with the company headquarters to negotiate for more competitive pricing in border cities. Another option could be to offer unique or personalized services that set the consultant apart from competitors and justify the higher prices. Additionally, consultants can try to educate customers on the reasons for the price differences and emphasize the value of the products they are offering.

4. Is this a common issue for consultants in border cities?

While it may not be a widespread issue, it is not uncommon for consultants in border cities to face challenges with price differences. Every situation is unique and can depend on various factors such as the specific location and competition in the area.

5. How can consultants cope with lost sales due to price differences?

It is important for consultants to stay proactive and adapt to the changing market. This can include finding ways to lower costs or offer unique services, as well as seeking support and advice from other consultants and the company headquarters. It may also be helpful to focus on building a strong customer base and creating a loyal following who value the consultant's expertise and products, regardless of price differences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lesliec
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pamperedlinda