• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Pastry Mat Has an Unusual Smell - Is This Normal?

In summary, the unusual smell coming from your pastry mat is normal and nothing to be concerned about. It is most likely due to the material, silicone, which has a natural odor that will dissipate over time. While the length of time it takes for the smell to go away can vary, regularly using and washing the mat should help it fade within a few weeks. To speed up the process, you can wash the mat with warm soapy water and let it air dry or leave it in a well-ventilated area. The smell will not affect the taste of your pastries as silicone is safe for food preparation and the odor is temporary.
kam
Staff member
OK, I decided to order the Pastry Mat and it is here just in time for my shows this weekend. Yea!

But, I notice that it smells - maybe a little like burnt plastic? I have been soaking it and washing it and was wondering if this was normal and I should not bother trying to get the smell out? It definitely has an odor...Has anyone else noticed this about their pastry mat ??

Maybe it's just me :)

Last edited:
I did notice this when I first recieved my pasty mat. But in time it goes away. I guess it just needed to be aired out!

PCSarahjm said:
I did notice this when I first recieved my pasty mat. But in time it goes away. I guess it just needed to be aired out!

THANKS! I am soooo relieved - I was worried that my cookies might pick up the smell!!

I can't wait to start using it!

Mine smelled too when I took it out of the plastic. I washed it, let it air dry, and then rolled it up to store it. It doesn't smell anymore! I would NOT store it inside plastic, though...as it might hold the smell in!

I used the pastry mat at my 2 shows this weekend for my "work area" and it was wonderful. I am so glad I got it just for that reason alone. It was handy for setting the UM on and grating cheese and just letting the cheese fall on the mat - instead of trying to grate the cheese over a cutting board.

Also, after a couple uses and washings, the smell is a lot less strong now!

I really am very happy with this purchase.

1. Why does my pastry mat have an unusual smell?

The unusual smell is most likely due to the material used to make the pastry mat, which is commonly silicone. Silicone has a natural odor that can sometimes be noticeable, especially with new products.

2. Is the smell normal?

Yes, the smell is normal and nothing to be concerned about. It is not harmful and will dissipate over time.

3. How long will it take for the smell to go away?

The amount of time it takes for the smell to go away can vary depending on the product and how often it is used. However, typically the smell should dissipate within a few weeks with regular use and washing.

4. Can I do anything to speed up the process of getting rid of the smell?

Yes, you can try washing the pastry mat with warm soapy water and letting it air dry. You can also try leaving it outside in a well-ventilated area for a few hours. This can help speed up the process of getting rid of the smell.

5. Will the smell affect the taste of my pastries?

No, the smell will not affect the taste of your pastries. Silicone is a safe material to use for food preparation and the smell is only temporary. Once the smell dissipates, it will not affect the taste of your pastries in any way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
urbnk8
  • teeanne77
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Curlyone
  • pamperedlinda