• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Pastry Mat Worth Getting?

In summary, the pastry mat is not oven safe and many people do not find it useful. Some people like it and it is a great desk mat.
kam
Staff member
I am debating on whether I should purchase the Pastry Mat (sample order of Dec Guest Special).

I currently have the Tupperware brand silicone mats and the Silpat mats...both of which I can bake on.

I really think I should have the Party Mat to show guests - but I do not bake pies. And if I do, I use the pillsbury crust that unrolls into the dish. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could use it in the oven.

Does anyone know why our pastry mat is not oven safe? The product info guide on CC states that it is silicone and heat resistant.

Also, I have seen a few threads about the pastry mat and most just say they bring it along to shows, but don't really mention using it.

I was wondering what everyon else's thought was. Is it worth buying just to show people - or can it be useful?

I am surprised that it is not called for in the Holiday ideas this year (the pretzel wreaths and the Cranberry Bark). Has anyone made these recipes using the pastry mat instead of the parchment paper??

I am on the fence on this one.
Thanks!

I have it but haven't used it yet. I did get asked if it could be used in the oven at one of my shows, but really couldn't answer the questions (I felt bad). I said I didn't believe it could.

If you need one, I have two and will sell you one at 10% off the supply order price if you want it. I just need to get stuff out of here...
I sell them like crazy just by bringing mine to shows.

I asked about using it in the oven at conference. One of the people from the test kitchen said it couldn't be used in the oven because it is too big. Which is true.....it's huge!

I like mine. I've rolled out sugar cookie dough on it, and I've used it a couple times for no-bake cookies. It's great for that. I'm going to make the Cranberry Crunch recipe and do it on there. I'll let you know how it works!

I do like it though - I really like that fact that if you are doing something hot - like Peanut Brittle - you can pour it out right onto the mat - and it is large enough that it doesn't spill over the edges.

I have two. My husband wanted one for his desk at work. He says it makes the best desk pad - easy to write on. I love mine and have used it a lot in the kitchen.

BethCooks4U said:
I have two. My husband wanted one for his desk at work. He says it makes the best desk pad - easy to write on. I love mine and have used it a lot in the kitchen.

What a great idea to use it as a desk mat!:thumbup:

I hadn't thought of doing no bake cookies on it! That is a great idea, instead of putting them on wax paper. I have to remember to tell people that at shows.

ChefBeckyD said:
I asked about using it in the oven at conference. One of the people from the test kitchen said it couldn't be used in the oven because it is too big. Which is true.....it's huge!

I like mine. I've rolled out sugar cookie dough on it, and I've used it a couple times for no-bake cookies. It's great for that. I'm going to make the Cranberry Crunch recipe and do it on there. I'll let you know how it works!

I do like it though - I really like that fact that if you are doing something hot - like Peanut Brittle - you can pour it out right onto the mat - and it is large enough that it doesn't spill over the edges.

Is the recipe for Peanut Brittle around anywhere? If not, can someone post it?

Peanut Brittle is on CC under recipe search. I used the Pastry Mat when I made it the other day. Worked great.

Can someone please post the recipe...I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Excellent ideas! Thanks.

I do make sugar cookies and I had completely forgotten about those. The mat would probably help a lot!

Also now I'm thinking it would be nice to lay down on my "work area" at a show??

Thanks, I think I will order it!

RossDeb2 said:
Can someone please post the recipe...I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Peanut Brittle

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking soda

Directions:
Combine sugar and corn syrup in (3-qt.) Saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Do not stir. Boil mixture 16-18 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 325°F (mixture will turn a golden color). Carefully stir in butter and peanuts; return mixture to a boil. Stir in vanilla; remove from heat.
Stir in baking soda (mixture will foam up dramatically); immediately pour peanut brittle onto one side of Pastry Mat. Fold opposite side of mat over like a book to cover brittle. Working quickly, use Baker's Roller® to press brittle into a thin even layer (brittle will harden quickly). Cool completely; remove from mat and break into pieces. Store brittle at room temperature in an airtight container.
Yield: 24 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 130, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 180 mg, Fiber less than 1 g

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2007
The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

Sorry, I came to this thread to ask a question....

Do you remember the pepper glazed pecans from last winter, well I was wondering instead of parchment paper, can we put them right on the mat to cool? TIA.....:D

Ginger428 said:
Sorry, I came to this thread to ask a question....

Do you remember the pepper glazed pecans from last winter, well I was wondering instead of parchment paper, can we put them right on the mat to cool? TIA.....:D

That is a great idea Ginger! I haven't tried it - but I'm sure if you can do peanut brittle on it, the pecans can be done on it no problem.

Those are soooo good! I'd forgotten about them.....I think I may make some for
an Easy Entertaining Show I am doing!

ChefBeckyD said:
That is a great idea Ginger! I haven't tried it - but I'm sure if you can do peanut brittle on it, the pecans can be done on it no problem.

Those are soooo good! I'd forgotten about them.....I think I may make some for
an Easy Entertaining Show I am doing!

Thats what I was thinking also!!! Or like how they showed them last year, in a small SA them wrapped & closed with last years napkin rings ( bought a couple of packs when they were on the outlet) ;)

Great ideas everyone! One of my consultants was asked if it could be used in an oven... and yes, WAY TOO BIG! I have a big viking and it would fit in there, but I don't have a sheet pan big enough to accomodate it anyway!

Love the desk mat idea as well as the no-bake cookies!

And wouldn't it be better environmentally? You can use it over and over, instead of using buttered aluminum foil or wax paper for all of these things.....

ChefBeckyD said:
And wouldn't it be better environmentally? You can use it over and over, instead of using buttered aluminum foil or wax paper for all of these things.....

YES!!! And with all of the "green" talk these days that's a great angle to promote!

I have it and took it to my first show. I mentioned that you can make your peanut brittle right on the mat and sold three that night.

dannyzmom said:
If you need one, I have two and will sell you one at 10% off the supply order price if you want it. I just need to get stuff out of here...
I sell them like crazy just by bringing mine to shows.
Okay, Carolyn, I'm feeling as dumb as a stick! But I can't find where that pastry mat is on the supply order from???:confused: :confused:
I'd be interested in maybe buying this from you, (if you haven't already sold it?) but I need to know the exact price, also would you or I pay for shipping? These are just the questions running through my mind

Does the pastry mat lay flat after being rolled up for a while?

Yes. It lays flat after being wadded up in my kit for a couple of weeks. It doesn't crease. It's wonderful!

My host from Monday bought one after comparing it to her TW one that she can't get to lay flat after it has been rolled up!:thumbup:

Yeah, I had one like that. This one is muuuuuuuuch better.

MissChef said:
Okay, Carolyn, I'm feeling as dumb as a stick! But I can't find where that pastry mat is on the supply order from???:confused: :confused:
I'd be interested in maybe buying this from you, (if you haven't already sold it?) but I need to know the exact price, also would you or I pay for shipping? These are just the questions running through my mind

I'm guessing she means on a personal order, not supply order. But because it is the December guest special, you should be able to get it at the 20% off, PLUS your regular consultant discount!

What is a pastry mat and what is it used for?

A pastry mat is a non-stick, flexible surface that is used for rolling out dough and working with pastry. It provides a smooth surface for kneading and rolling dough, as well as measuring guides for creating precise shapes and sizes. It is also great for keeping your work area clean and making clean-up easier.

Is a pastry mat worth getting?

Absolutely! A pastry mat is a must-have for anyone who loves to bake or cook. It not only helps with creating perfect doughs and pastries, but it also saves time and makes clean-up a breeze. Plus, our Pampered Chef pastry mat is made with high-quality materials that are built to last.

What are the benefits of using a pastry mat?

Using a pastry mat has many benefits, including: providing a non-stick surface for easy rolling and shaping of dough, having measurement guides for creating precise shapes and sizes, keeping your work area clean, and being dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.

Can I use a pastry mat for other cooking tasks besides baking?

Yes, you can! Our Pampered Chef pastry mat is versatile and can be used for a variety of cooking tasks, such as rolling out pizza dough, making pasta, or even cutting out cookies. It can also be used as a non-stick surface for working with candy or chocolate.

How do I clean and care for my pastry mat?

To clean your pastry mat, simply rinse it in warm, soapy water or place it in the dishwasher. For tougher stains, you can use a non-abrasive cleaner. To store, roll up the mat and secure it with the attached tie. Avoid using sharp objects on the mat to prevent damage. With proper care, your pastry mat will last for many baking adventures to come!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KateInTheKitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • chefann
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • bridgetbakes