• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Hostess Is Blind...suggestions?

In summary, the conversation includes suggestions and experiences about hosting a show for a blind hostess. It is advised to treat her like any other host and to consult with her on recipes that she would be comfortable with. There are also suggestions for products that would be helpful for a blind hostess and ideas for a simple and delicious recipe to demonstrate at the show. It is emphasized that people with disabilities are capable of doing the same things as anyone else and should not be treated differently.
lkspeir
I have a show in July and my hostess is blind. She was a guest at a show I had a couple of months ago. She's just delightful and I hear she's a GREAT cook.

Has anyone ever done a show for someone who is blind. Do you have any suggestions for me??

We had a consultant in our cluster who was blind, we didn't do anything differently.
Treat her like any other host

I agree, treat her like you would any other host. Chances are if there is anything she needs or wants you to do differently she will tell you.
I have a disability and hate it when ppl treat me differently than they would anybody else.

I strongly agree my brother has a disability and he has the best time when ppl treat him lik a normal person!

I had a guest at a show who was blind and he spent $400. He loved the food chopper and the cutting board with measuring cups because he could feel the meaurements.

Show products that the hostess would find helpful and show how ANYONE would find them helpful.

entire show was blind with exception of 1I held a show as a fundraiser for a group of blind ladies. They amazed me.. pass the product around so they can "see" them. It was a great show. The host got all of the ingredients out herself and fixed drinks for her guests.
You will feel so great for pampering her.

cooking4u said:
I held a show as a fundraiser for a group of blind ladies. They amazed me.. pass the product around so they can "see" them. It was a great show. The host got all of the ingredients out herself and fixed drinks for her guests.
You will feel so great for pampering her.

Yes, I had a similar party. I just explained how to use the product and passed it around for them to feel for themselves. It was a bit longer of a show, but it was okay. You could ask your host. Will most of her guests be sighted or blind? How would she like for you to handle her disability? The more honest you can be the better. She will appreciate that fact that you are trying to give her the best experience possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm very much looking forward to her show. In visiting with her, we're going to be sending out e-vites in lieu of postcards. She's very excited and so am I. I want to demo a recipe that I know she would be able to her on her own, so I'm in the process of coming up with an idea for that. Any suggestions?

How about the Greek Lemon Rice soup from It's Good For You? With warmed pita bread on the side. That's one that other than measuring things out, is pretty straightforward. And it's delicious.

The timing of the show really warrants a dessert rather than entre, however that would be a great recipe for me to pass along to her. Got any dessert ideas??

Apple Berry Salsa and Cinnamon Chips?

That's a good summer recipe, and is also surprising simple for the number of tools it shows.

Something to consider:

People with disabilities learn to compensate for whatever the disability is - and learn and find ways to do the same things that everyone else does. You stated that you have heard she is a good cook - I would think that if that were the case, any recipe would be one that she would be able to do. I think you should consult with her on the recipe just like you would any other host, and not try to come up with an "easy" one, or try to figure out one that YOU think she may be able to do - she can probably do them all!

JMHO!;)

That's a good point, Becky. I was thinking from a "what could I cook if I lost my sight" POV, but she would know how to do many things already.

ChefBeckyD said:
Something to consider:

People with disabilities learn to compensate for whatever the disability is - and learn and find ways to do the same things that everyone else does. You stated that you have heard she is a good cook - I would think that if that were the case, any recipe would be one that she would be able to do. I think you should consult with her on the recipe just like you would any other host, and not try to come up with an "easy" one, or try to figure out one that YOU think she may be able to do - she can probably do them all!

JMHO!;)
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

husbandwifepcteam said:
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You know, I don't have a physical disability - but I used to work summers at a camp that did "Handicap" weeks for campers. I watched the campers, some with great odds to overcome, acheive so much - and they LOVED just being "normal" kids for a week!
Then, as an adult, for several years, I managed a Retail Bookstore, and one summer I hired a young lady who was deaf to work for me - no one else would give her a chance because of her "disability". She was one of the best, most conscientious employees ever! In fact, I promoted her to Receiving Clerk after that summer, and she worked for me and finished her college degree at the same time. She has now moved on, and is actually finishing up her Nurses training in AZ - but because I gave her a chance, I gained a life-long friend.....and she is one of my biggest supporters of my PC business!
They are just people, People!:rolleyes:

okay - backing slowly off my soapbox, and going to work on my own issue of finding a hotel for Conference!:eek:

1. How can I ensure that my blind hostess can participate in the cooking demonstration?

There are a few ways to involve a blind hostess in the cooking demonstration. You can provide her with a Braille or large print version of the recipe and ingredients list beforehand so she can follow along. You can also describe each step of the recipe in detail and allow her to touch and feel the ingredients and tools being used. Additionally, you can assign a sighted guest to be her cooking partner and assist her with any tasks that may require sight.

2. Are there any Pampered Chef products specifically designed for blind individuals?

While we do not have products specifically designed for blind individuals, we have a variety of tools and utensils that are user-friendly and can be used by individuals with different abilities. Some examples include our adjustable measuring cups and spoons, easy grip knives, and silicone baking mats that can be easily felt for placement.

3. Can I make any modifications to the recipes to accommodate my blind hostess?

Absolutely! Our recipes are versatile and can be easily modified to accommodate different dietary restrictions and abilities. You can use alternative ingredients or techniques to make the recipe more accessible for your blind hostess. You can also reach out to our Pampered Chef consultants for suggestions and ideas on how to modify the recipes.

4. How can I make my cooking demonstration more inclusive for my blind hostess?

There are a few things you can do to make the cooking demonstration more inclusive for your blind hostess. You can describe each step of the demonstration in detail, use descriptive language to explain the appearance and texture of the food, and allow her to touch and feel the ingredients and tools being used. You can also provide her with a designated space in the kitchen to participate in the demonstration comfortably.

5. Can I request a consultant who has experience working with blind individuals?

We cannot guarantee that a specific consultant has experience working with blind individuals, but we can certainly try to accommodate your request. You can reach out to our customer service team or your local Pampered Chef consultant and let them know about your request. They will do their best to find a consultant who can meet your needs and assist your blind hostess during the cooking demonstration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef.Wanda
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • princesschef525
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
princesschef525
  • michelle brandt