• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Host Forget to Buy the Ingredients!

In summary, the host forgot to bring the ingredients for the recipe, so Jennifer improvised and used ingredients that were already at the house.
jrstephens
I have been meaning to post this!:D

I got to my show Tuesday night and after I got all set up I asked the host for the ingredients. Everyone was already there. We were in the kitchen. She looked at me like she could've died and said she forgot to get them while she was getting the other food. She told me to get started and she would run to the store. I told her no, let me look in the frig and I can just do a demo without a recipe.

Well, I got a potato, onion and cheddar cheese out of the frig. Did my demo and no one every knew the difference! What products that could not be demo'd with these three I talked about them.

She was so embarassed and kept apologizing when the show was over.

It was actually fun!!! And we closed her show that night with $574 in sales! Maybe more hosts need to forget the ingredients!:chef:

What a way to think on your feet.

Great job! I think it really shows how practical our products are when you can use them on anything in the frig. Way to step up to the challenge.

Way to go Jennifer!

I took my ingredients to my power cooking show last week, and didn't bring the mustard and ketchup for the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad. (Figured EVERYONE has these ingredients in the frig!!)

She had both...but only had about 1/8 of a cup of ketchup. (She said her kids dip everything in Ranch...so hardly ever buys ketchup!) Well...we used French salad dressing instead! It came out REALLY good.

I will NOT assume about any other ingredients!! Yes...I know what happens when you ASSUME...and it happened to me in front of a ton of guests!!

You certainly thought quickly...and helped your host to not be embarrassed in front of her friends!!

Last week I brought the ingredients to make the molten brownie skillet cake with me to the hosts house, complete w/ eggs, oil, etc..when I got the eggs out, the host laughed and said "well of course you didn't have to bring eggs, I have THOSE!" I said "hey, I never know, the one time I think you have eggs will be when you used your last of them this morning! She thought that was funny!

Way to go Jennifer on making something out of it! Sounds like you did GREAT!

Thanks for posting that great outcome. Way to roll with the punches!

Great thinking on your feet, Jennifer. I'm not sure what I would have done - I think I almost would have taken her up on running to the store while I did introductions, but I would have been pretty discombobulated!

Great job!

chefsteph07 said:
Last week I brought the ingredients to make the molten brownie skillet cake with me to the hosts house, complete w/ eggs, oil, etc..when I got the eggs out, the host laughed and said "well of course you didn't have to bring eggs, I have THOSE!" I said "hey, I never know, the one time I think you have eggs will be when you used your last of them this morning! She thought that was funny!

Way to go Jennifer on making something out of it! Sounds like you did GREAT!

I had the same thing happen with milk, I just buy the ingredients, I don't try to worry if the host will have an item at her house or not.

That happened to me last year - my host was so excited about making the lime berry mousse trifle - I had emailed her the ingredients complete with which should be thawed, etc. Well I get to her house - figured I'd start prepping the fruit - go to her frig and ask her where's the strawberries - she says I don't know - where did you put them? I said did you get the ingredients for the recipe? She says OMG I completely forgot! Mind you this is 15 minutes before the start time. (And she's a past host - so she knows she needs to get the ingredients) - I tell her don't worry - we flip through the SB - the chocolate pecan lattice tart - she has most of the ingredients for this on hand and we send her MIL quickly to get the rest. The recipe turned out great - she still wanted to do the trifle so she booked another show 4 months later. And told me she would definitely get the ingredients this time! I told her don't worry - as long as there's something to eat - people generally don't care what it is! It's good to have to think on your feet sometime!

Great thinking... and with "pregnancy-brain" to boot!!! You go girl!!!

Way to go!!! Did you use that as a recruiting line - this job is flexible with time AND ingredients!

Way to improvise Jennifer!!!!!!

You are amazing to have pulled that off like that.
This is one of the reasons I do the shopping for my shows and have my hosts reimburse me the night of the show. They appreciate the time I save them and I never have to wonder whether or not we have the right ingredients.

QUOTE=jrstephens]I have been meaning to post this!:D

I got to my show Tuesday night and after I got all set up I asked the host for the ingredients. Everyone was already there. We were in the kitchen. She looked at me like she could've died and said she forgot to get them while she was getting the other food. She told me to get started and she would run to the store. I told her no, let me look in the frig and I can just do a demo without a recipe.

Well, I got a potato, onion and cheddar cheese out of the frig. Did my demo and no one every knew the difference! What products that could not be demo'd with these three I talked about them.

She was so embarassed and kept apologizing when the show was over.

It was actually fun!!! And we closed her show that night with $574 in sales! Maybe more hosts need to forget the ingredients!:chef:[/QUOTE]

So impressive that you were able to think like that!

I have had several instances of similar problems as those listed here. So, about 2-3 years ago I started buying the ingredients and asking to be reimbursed. THe hosts LOVE that I do this, and it's something they don't have to worry about. And, I know that I have exactly what I need (a BLOCK of cheese, a firm tomato, an onion that fits the mandoline, I can go on and on). It makes hosting look easier in my opinion.

Way to go though! I'll have to remember that if I ever forget something important (the one drawback to buying the ingredients = when I forget something, I look really bad, but thankfully, it's rare and the host bails me out then!:)

Jane :)

That's awesome! Glad you could go with it! I would have died myself! LOL

I don't know what I would have done if that had happened to me!! I know I wouldn't have been so quick on my feet :)

Way to go Jennifer!

Good going Jennifer! I would have been so po'd that I probably wouldn't have thought about looking in the fridge. LOL. Way to think on your toes.

So proud of the way you dealt with this Jennifer! Like everyone else said we don't think we would have thougtht that fast about improvising with what she had!

Rock on, Jennifer! Thanks so much for sharing this. If it ever happens to me, I'll know what to do! :)

I did "The Incredible 30-Minute Chicken" show and decided to put together the seasoning for the chicken, just in case. It was a good thing I did because the host didn't bring anything at all except the chicken!

I really loved your idea of looking for regular items like a potato, an onion, and cheese. Most people have at least two of these items on hand.

this is cool i am glad you posted this because this does happen and it is good to se how someone else deals with it before this ever happens to us!!!! thanks!!

What do I do if my host forgets to buy the ingredients?

If your host forgets to buy the ingredients, there are a few options you can consider. You can ask your host if they can quickly run out and purchase the missing ingredients, or you can offer to cover the cost of the ingredients yourself. You can also try to find substitutes for the missing ingredients or adjust the recipe to work with the ingredients that are available. If all else fails, you can always reschedule the party for a later date.

Can I still earn host rewards if my host forgets to buy the ingredients?

Yes, you can still earn host rewards even if your host forgets to buy the ingredients. As long as the party meets the minimum sales requirement, you will still receive host rewards based on the total sales from the party.

What should I do if my host forgets to buy a crucial ingredient?

If your host forgets a crucial ingredient, it is important to communicate with them and come up with a solution together. You can suggest finding a substitute or adjusting the recipe, or even offer to reschedule the party. It is important to be understanding and work together to find a solution that works for both you and your host.

How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent your host from forgetting to buy ingredients in the future, it is important to communicate clearly and remind them of their responsibilities as a host. You can also provide them with a list of ingredients needed for the recipes ahead of time so they can prepare accordingly. Additionally, offering to help your host with grocery shopping or providing a shopping service can also prevent this issue from occurring.

What should I do if my host consistently forgets to buy ingredients?

If your host consistently forgets to buy ingredients, it may be helpful to have a conversation with them about their responsibilities as a host and the impact it has on the party. You can also suggest alternative options, such as hosting the party at a location where ingredients can be provided, or offering to take on the responsibility of purchasing the ingredients yourself. Ultimately, it is important to communicate openly and find a solution that works for both you and your host.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kristen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Paige Dixon
  • texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher
  • Suzyengl