• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting About Host Taking Advantage: A Challenge!

In summary, the woman wants the Stoneware Trifle Bowl, the Beaded Serving Set, and the November Guest Special Brownies for her lunch hour show, but only wants the host to spend $25 of her money.
ChefPaulaB
I just need to vent about a host and no one is here to listen....
I am doing a lunch hour show for this lady at the Chamber of Commerce (she works there). This is the second one that I've done for her, but I feel like she is sooo taking advantage of me this time and I'm not sure what to do about it. She wants me to bring a meal dish and a dessert dish but she only wants me to spend $25 of her money and she is making it sound like this is totally my responsibility. The first time she provided lunch (pizzas and subs) and I made a torte and then did some quick demo stuff. Good show. Then another friend of hers had me do a lunch hour show for her, but we did it at her house. I made Spinach Cabanara Pizza ahead and brought it and made a micro cake there and did quick demo, but she paid for all of the ingredients. Then another from the group did another lunch show at her house and I made Chicken Clubhouse Squares ahead and made a micro cake there and the pass around salsa, again she paid for all ingredients. Now this lady wants all of that but doesn't seem to want to pay for everything. And she's getting a little bitchy about it too. I was like, "Well, if you don't want to have to pay for a lot of ingredients I can just demo a trifle and not have the main dish" but she's promising these people lunch (since they're coming on their lunch hour) and seems to think this is my problem. Now I'm supposed to come up with a full menu for under $25 and cook and serve plus do a demo! I'm sorry, bad day, but I'm ready to tell her to forget the whole thing, she's already said that she didn't send the invites, just used email and she thinks it's only going to be about 4-5 people. I don't know, she thought maybe I could just make a half of a Spinach Cabanara Pizza (like you can buy half a jar of sauce and 3 pieces of bacon....). Ohwell...

I would tell her what you are willing to do and stick to it. I would not come out of my pocket to buy ingredients. Do not run yourself ragged for this show!

Totally agree with Jennifer.

I would make your "demo" part of the recipe. Don't bring other veggies, etc. also. That will be more $ out of your pocket.

I agree with Jennifer. Tell her this is the way you're going to do your show. You will demo one recipe, which she will provide the ingredients for, you will be there for X amount of time and you will close her party on X day. That's it. If she's not willing to do that, I'm sorry but I'd rather not work with someone like that.

Well, after stewing about it for a while, I finally sent her this email.... let me know what you think...

Hi Pat,
Well, this is what I've come up with, and I hope that this works for you, because I have a crazy busy schedule from now until Monday afternoon, so I really won't have a lot of time to do a lot of prepping and shopping and going back and forth on this. I understand your need to keep things on a budget as we're all a little budget conscious these days. I think considering your budget and the time constraints of having a lunch hour show, that the best possible way to go for your show is a Trifle. They are NOT expensive, unless you use fresh fruit. Here is a recipe that is very cheap and very tasty. We can do this one of 2 ways, I can buy all of the ingredients ahead of time and you can repay me for them, I will make the brownies up ahead in the large bar pan and then complete the rest of it at the show for the demo (they come together very quickly). It will show off the stoneware (November guest special) and the Trifle Bowl and the Beaded Serving Set which are both the December Host Special. Or, if you prefer to purchase the ingredients yourself, then I can make the brownies up (bought myself) and then when I get there I will just replace my brownie mixes with your new ones and I will use the other ingredients that you have purchased. I don't have time to come and get them from you. Or, you can make the brownies up yourself and have them there... they don't have to be made in the large bar pan if you don't have it, I can just talk about how you can make them in it. Then as far as the lunch part, that really isn't my area of responsibility, the demo part of my show is just supposed to be a taste, not a meal. You can purchase something precooked, make something yourself or tell your guests to bring their brown bag lunch. I know that you were hoping that I could just make a half of a pizza since you won't be having a large group, but unfortunately, they don't sell the ingredients in half amounts, I'd still have to buy all of the ingredients and just have the other half go to waste, which would come out of my pocket. The Pampered Chef offers our Kitchen Show Hosts an extra $15 in Free Product Value to compensate for the price of their ingredients. If you really don't want to or can't spend the money on the food, then you might want to consider having a Catalog Show instead of the Kitchen Show. Whichever one works out better for you, works for me. Just let me know how you want to handle this. I do need to know by 4:00 pm today, so that I know what I need to purchase, as I said, I have a very busy weekend, and only intend to go to the store once for my groceries. Thank you so much! The recipe for the Trifle follows. Have a great day!

"Death by Chocolate"

2 box fudge brownie mix plus ingredients to make it (baked on Large Bar Pan)
1 box chocolate INSTANT pudding
1 tub whipped topping; unthawed
1 chocolate bar (I use Aero; most use Heath/Skor)

Layer brownies (that have been cooled) in bottom of Trifle bowl
Spread a thin layer of pudding
Followed by a layer of whipped topping
Grate chocolate on top (I use the Deluxe Cheese Grater)
Repeat layers

So, I know that it's kind of long, sorry, I hope that it doesn't sound bitchy, I don't want to make her mad, but I'm done catering to everyone and want her to know it. Sorry, just had a bad couple of days. Had to deal with her and then my show last night that was supposed to be "huge" according to host, turned out to be 3 people! And she still doesn't have enough sales to even make it a show. So, very frustrated with my business right now, especially since it is sooo interfering with my son's 4th Birthday weekend. I have so much to do to get ready for his party and have all of this PC stuff to do, ready to just call it quits and get my house back and get back to my family! :cry:

ChefPaulaB said:
Well, after stewing about it for a while, I finally sent her this email.... let me know what you think...So, very frustrated with my business right now, especially since it is sooo interfering with my son's 4th Birthday weekend. I have so much to do to get ready for his party and have all of this PC stuff to do, ready to just call it quits and get my house back and get back to my family! :cry:[/COLOR][/FONT]

You set your schedule, don't let other's set it for you. I have had people who really wanted to have a show this Sunday, November 16th however, that is the final race for NASCAR (which I am a HUGE fan of). So when people have asked I just let them know I am booked that day.

IMO also, you shouldn't have to be purchasing the groceries and having your host's reimburse you. Have them purchase them and have them ready for you at your shows. I do however, completely understand about the brownies (because I do the same exact thing. :D)

Take a deep breath and enjoy your son's B-day! I hope everything work's out for you.

Thanks, we did have a great time. And the host called called and apologized and said that I totally misunderstood her and we did get everything worked out. I am making the Trifle and she is providing pizza for their lunch. But she said that she has only 3 people confirmed, and 2 of those are the other 2 ladies that I have just done shows for and the other has been to my recent shows. So I am so un-inspired to go and do this show today. They've seen everything I have. I don't even know what to bring. I just don't see the point of wasting all of our time. They know what I have so why not just have a catalog show if she isn't going to put anything more into it than that. And I do agree with you about not buying the ingredients anymore. It started off being easier for me, but has turned into a big hassle. I won't be offering that service any longer. One little thing just turns into another and the next thing you know you're doing everything for everyone. So, yeah, I'm done with that.
Anyway, after my son's birthday party a bunch of us watched the race too! I really wanted Tony to win his last race for Home Depot, but no such luck! Oh well! It was a good time!

ChefPaulaB said:
Thanks, we did have a great time. And the host called called and apologized and said that I totally misunderstood her and we did get everything worked out. I am making the Trifle and she is providing pizza for their lunch. But she said that she has only 3 people confirmed, and 2 of those are the other 2 ladies that I have just done shows for and the other has been to my recent shows. So I am so un-inspired to go and do this show today. They've seen everything I have. I don't even know what to bring. I just don't see the point of wasting all of our time. They know what I have so why not just have a catalog show if she isn't going to put anything more into it than that. And I do agree with you about not buying the ingredients anymore. It started off being easier for me, but has turned into a big hassle. I won't be offering that service any longer. One little thing just turns into another and the next thing you know you're doing everything for everyone. So, yeah, I'm done with that.
Anyway, after my son's birthday party a bunch of us watched the race too! I really wanted Tony to win his last race for Home Depot, but no such luck! Oh well! It was a good time!

Not saying this will happen for you, but it seems like all of my shows lately have had several people attend that never rsvp'd or answered the host's reminder phone calls. I always figure a small show is better than not working at all. I've had some great shows where the host almost canceled because of low attendance! Just had one last week. She was going to cancel because she only had 3 rsvp's the day before the show. I talked her out of it - the day of the show she got 3 more, and then she also had a few people show up who hadn't rsvp'd and a couple people brought friends. She ended up with 12 people at her show!

I agree with Laurie about setting your own schedule. I had a show yesterday. I never do shows on Sunday, 'cause I plain don't like it....it's DD and me time. But, for some reason, I gave in to the host, because that was the only good day for her. Turns out, DH and DD went to watch our horse race in Nova Scotia, so I missed out on that trip. I actually cried when they left. So, no more Sunday shows for me...actually, no more weekend shows!! Mondays and Wednesdays only from now on (although I would be flexible on other weeknights). Turns out that I didn't really want to go yesterday and it showed...IMO...didn't do a great demo job.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. I really do believe that if we do shows when we want, they'll turn out better in the end, because we actually WANT to be there!!!

Lesson learned.......

It has only been recently (last 4 months) that I have taken control of my schedule, and my business, and things have been WONDERFUL!!! I set my schedule up, and I say, "I do shows on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, which works for you?" I will do weekend shows, IF I want to work that weekend. It is my business, and I am not a caterer. I say, " I demonstrate one recipe, would you like- or -" I realized that not only is my life much more saner, but I also think that your hostesses respect you much more, and the hostesses to come as well, because they see that this is how you run your business, and they know what to expect- If you keep changing things up, you have set a precident of instability, and the hostesses in the future really will try to get away with anything, because they know that you do not take control of your business. I am enjoying my business so much more now and I have seen my show average and show schedule increase. And DH appreciates it as well.

What is the "Venting About Host Taking Advantage: A Challenge!"?

The "Venting About Host Taking Advantage: A Challenge!" is a training program designed for Pampered Chef consultants to learn how to handle situations where a host may be taking advantage of their generosity or not following through on their responsibilities.

Who can participate in this challenge?

Any Pampered Chef consultant can participate in this challenge, regardless of their level or tenure with the company.

What are some common examples of hosts taking advantage?

Some common examples include hosts not inviting enough guests to a party, not providing a suitable space for the party, or not following through on their commitment to purchase a certain amount of products.

How does this challenge help consultants?

This challenge provides consultants with tools and techniques for addressing and resolving issues with hosts who may be taking advantage. It also helps them to set boundaries and communicate their expectations clearly with future hosts.

Is there a cost to participate in this challenge?

No, there is no cost to participate in this challenge. It is a free training program offered by Pampered Chef to support and empower their consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher
  • lt1jane
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
sassypip
  • amuia