• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How about Is My Host Flaking Out on Me?

In summary, the speaker is feeling intimidated by a host who has been difficult to communicate with and has not provided necessary information for the upcoming show. The speaker plans to call the host and remind her about the RSVPs and the recipe choices, but is unsure of how to handle the situation.
babywings76
Gold Member
I just need to vent plus I think I need some advice on how to proceed with a host.

I am supposed to be doing a show this Friday. I'm a little intimidated by my host. Allow me to provide some background:

She arrived at another show really, really late and then I pretty much had to do a super fast recap for her because she had questions and stuff. She seems like a well-to-do outgoing and dominant type of personality. She commands a room when she is around, you know that vibe you get sometimes from some people?! Anyway, she booked off this host right then but wasn't sure of a date. I followed up with her, or tried to, many times, and she kept telling me she wanted to host and apologized for not returning my calls, etc. Well, I finally got her to set a date. Meanwhile, she's talking about all these other shows she and that other host always do, and plan to host. I think they do DS parties every couple months and always keep booking off of each other.

On the phone, the couple times I was finally able to reach her, it appeared to be poor timing. Between her dog and her kids, she kept pausing our conversation (even when it was over and all we needed to do was say goodbye) and would say "hang on Amanda, I'm sorry" over and over again. Keeping me on the phone much much longer than I wanted or had intended and for no real reason and it was quite frustrating. I asked what is a good time to reach her for the future and she told me the middle of the day.

Well, since then I've tried calling during different times "in the middle of the day" and have had no luck reaching her. She works at home.

She also said she wanted to do 2 recipes. I explained how I demo just one, but that I can provide her with some recipes that interest her if she wanted to make something else ahead. She wanted a trifle and a main dish. So I told her that if she had the components all ready, then I could assemble it when I arrived and then we could do the main dish as the demo. I was to e-mail her the recipe options and she would let me know.

She also hasn't gotten me a guest list. She had agreed before I sent her the host packet that she was going to have me do her invitations. So I only included 10 invites in her packet for her to hand out to people she bumped into, neighbors, etc. When we last talked, she said she felt bad she hadn't gotten me them yet, that she's been talking with everyone, going on Facebook, etc, and that she would get me the addresses by Friday night. I had to explain to her about the rules regarding Facebook just so that I don't risk having a problem there.... but at least she was talking to people about her show.

Well, she never got me a list. :( She was viewing the invites as more of a reminder than an invitation. So now I don't know what to do. She hasn't e-mailed me back in reply to the recipes and such. I don't know what to say. I just am wondering if she has it all together on her end, just she isn't being polite in letting me know what's up, or if she is slacking on her end and is leading me on about this show.

I plan to call her today. I just don't know how I should play it, ya know?

Just be upbeat when you call her. Ask her how the RSVPs are coming along. Tell her you need to know how many to plan for for catalogs and such. When she tells you how many she has coming ask her if those are confirmations or maybes. Remind her to pop an email out to every one to remind them and give the people she hasn't had a chance to talk to a phone call reminder.

Hope it goes well for you!

Last edited:
And don't forget to ask about the recipe - tell her you need to know what she chose so that you bring the right tools.

If she has hosted a lot of DS parties, she probably has a certain way she is comfortable doing them. I would, if you don't hear from her soon, tell her "I'll be showing up at _____ time and I will bring the ingredients for ________". She can then pay you back. Sometimes people like her really do get a lot of people there--remember, it's your business but it's their home. I personally never send out invites (sorry Linda, and others that do, I am just not at that point where I want to do that), and I would not give a DS rep my friend's addy's or emails either. Just try to relax, if you are worried about a head count let her know that you need to know how many guest packets to provide.

By the way, there is no rule that hosts can't talk about Pampered Chef on Facebook. We just can't link our site on it.

Okay, so I have to vent.I am so frustrated with this host! I called her again (during her preferred time) and didn't reach her. I left a message and then she called me back while I stepped out for a minute. Her message was kind of rambling and she wasn't very clear. But from what I could make out, it sounded like she has to either host or attend (? not sure) a family birthday party--she was rambling a mile a minute and I couldn't hear it all. She said she was sorry she hadn't gotten back to me on Friday like she promised, but that that day she found out about this family party. Okay--why on earth didn't she call me and tell me then?!! How rude!!! I guess she just doesn't value me or my time. She waits till I call her the next Tuesday! And her message on Tuesday said for me to call her back so we could discuss it. So I did and got her VM again. I left a message and she hasn't called me back. I guess I'm going to wash my hands of this host. The bad thing is that I really liked the host she booked off of and now that host won't get the booking benefit from this one backing out. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because she mentioned to me when we were setting the date about needing to cancel her other DS party for some reason or another.I'm kind of having a bad month and a lot of frustration today, so please forgive me if I'm sounding harsh. :( I have another experience that I'm upset about that I also need to post on later. You guys are probably sick of me, so I'm not sure if I'm going to or not...

Thought I'd give an update on this because I need advice on how to proceed with her.So, she called me on Thursday (the night before when her show was originally scheduled). She profusely apologized and said she really wanted to rebook, if I would. I agreed, we set a date. She promised me that she was going to put the guest list in the mail by Saturday. I told her that now that we are doing a March show, she'll need new catalogs and outside order forms and a flyer of the March specials and that I'd get that mailed to her. Well, her guest list never arrived. I didn't mail her packet. I called her on Monday (left a message) to confirm her show and to let her know that I hadn't mailed her packet yet, that I was hoping to have received her guest list --but it hasn't arrived yet, and will mail her packet soon. I really want to know if she is going to have this show or not. I'm wondering if I should call her and say that I still didn't have her guest list and that if she is still wanting me to send the invites, I need to have it by xxx date. I'm just wondering if I should mail her catalogs and such, or if I should wait till I get her list or hear from her that she would rather hand her out herself (in which case I could just include the invites in her packet). I hate wasting my time and money if she isn't going to do the show, you know?! What would you do?

babywings76 said:
Thought I'd give an update on this because I need advice on how to proceed with her.

So, she called me on Thursday (the night before when her show was originally scheduled). She profusely apologized and said she really wanted to rebook, if I would. I agreed, we set a date. She promised me that she was going to put the guest list in the mail by Saturday. I told her that now that we are doing a March show, she'll need new catalogs and outside order forms and a flyer of the March specials and that I'd get that mailed to her. Well, her guest list never arrived. I didn't mail her packet. I called her on Monday (left a message) to confirm her show and to let her know that I hadn't mailed her packet yet, that I was hoping to have received her guest list --but it hasn't arrived yet, and will mail her packet soon.

I really want to know if she is going to have this show or not. I'm wondering if I should call her and say that I still didn't have her guest list and that if she is still wanting me to send the invites, I need to have it by xxx date. I'm just wondering if I should mail her catalogs and such, or if I should wait till I get her list or hear from her that she would rather hand her out herself (in which case I could just include the invites in her packet). I hate wasting my time and money if she isn't going to do the show, you know?! What would you do?
Tell her that it is now your policy to send the packet AFTER receiving the guest list, especially with re-scheduled shows.

babywings76 said:
Thought I'd give an update on this because I need advice on how to proceed with her.

So, she called me on Thursday (the night before when her show was originally scheduled). She profusely apologized and said she really wanted to rebook, if I would. I agreed, we set a date. She promised me that she was going to put the guest list in the mail by Saturday. I told her that now that we are doing a March show, she'll need new catalogs and outside order forms and a flyer of the March specials and that I'd get that mailed to her. Well, her guest list never arrived. I didn't mail her packet. I called her on Monday (left a message) to confirm her show and to let her know that I hadn't mailed her packet yet, that I was hoping to have received her guest list --but it hasn't arrived yet, and will mail her packet soon.

I really want to know if she is going to have this show or not. I'm wondering if I should call her and say that I still didn't have her guest list and that if she is still wanting me to send the invites, I need to have it by xxx date. I'm just wondering if I should mail her catalogs and such, or if I should wait till I get her list or hear from her that she would rather hand her out herself (in which case I could just include the invites in her packet). I hate wasting my time and money if she isn't going to do the show, you know?! What would you do?

You definitely need to do this. Leave the message telling her (nicely as you can muster) that you need her list by XX date or you have to open up that date to someone else.

No list, no packet for this lady!! I don't send out invitaitons for my hosts anymore, but that is one of the best strategies when you are dealing with a person like that.

I would tell her that your policy is send out your packets once you have the guest list in hand (she could email it if that's possible). I hope that you didn't give her a premo date if you need it. So often, that is the personality that has a lot going on in their lives and they forget that this is your business. I love the hosts that keep me in the loop! I had a host do this type of thing and finally did a pretty good catalog show. Then a few months later, she tells me she did a $1000 show with another PC consultant that she felt obligated to have a show with (b/c she worked with her or something...but she like me better...okay???).Anyway...deep breath... Ask her to call you (if you don't reach her) and if you aren't home, to please give you a specific time to call her. Good luck! It may be an amazing show. I'm guessing that people come to her shows :).

yeah, people like this don't get a weekend date again with me.Absolutely tell her that no guest list means no show. PERIOD. Suggest she do a catalog show instead.

I agree that you should see if she could e-mail the guest list or see if you can meet up with her to get the list and give her the packet (save yourself some postage). She sounds a little flighty like she has so much on her plate she doesn't know which end is up.

Remember that it isn't you. She just seems like the type that can't get her ducks in a row. I hope if and when she does have this party that it's a huge success for you. It least it would make it worth all the trouble. :O)

Occasionally, I have had what I call "dilly hosts" who are just a little "off". Be professional, and remember - it's your business. You would still want to host coach her beautifully.

One of the things I learned at Leadership, was to make the host work from the very beginning. Give her a firm deadline for when the guest list is expected. Praise her for even a meager effort with "wow; that's a good start" and direct her toward a larger list.

Rather than schedule her with a firm date, explain you can set that with her as soon as she supplies you with her guest list. FYI I do offer a bonus of $20 in more free product to my hosts who take advantage of my concierge invitation service. It actually pays, because the lowest show I've had when I've sent out invites, is $850 / most are over $1K.

To help her build the guest list, use the 40 guests in 4 minutes or 50 guests in 5 mintues sheets you'll find in search.

Someone with this type of personality could easily become a great recruit - and needs a strong hand in being guided toward what is best to do. Repeatedly use phrases like "what works for me, is..." and "I have found .... to be successful".

Good luck; hang in there!

I spoke with her yesterday. I asked her about her list and she went on about how super busy she has been working 12-13 hours a day, kids, stuff, etc. She said she has called and e-mailed everyone about it, but every time she sits down to do her list she gets interrupted and can't get back to it. That if she has to sit down it'll take her a half-hour to make the list and she just can't get it done. I told her that since she has already spoken with all her friends and e-mailed and stuff that I think we can just skip the mailed invites. She was so relieved when I said that. I asked her if she would like me to include some loose postcard invitations in her new host packet in case there are some extra people that she would like to give an invitation to. She was really interested in doing that. I told her that I offer to send the invites as a service, a way of helping them out and a way to (hopefully) make things easier for them and to take the stress off. So if this was stressing her out, than we can skip it. The important thing is that people get invited and know about her show, and if she has a system that works, than that's fine and we'll run with it. She was so happy.So, we'll see. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me! ;) I guess the thing was, for me, if she didn't want to make a guest list for me to do the invites, then why didn't she just turn down my offer to do it when I first talked to her about it. I didn't tell her I was doing it, I told her that I could do it for her if she would like me to, so that it can help her out and make things easier for her so she didn't have to worry about it. But oh well. At least it's all straightened out now.Thanks for listening and offering advice. I really appreciate it! :)

what day is her show? would love to hear how it turns out for you!

It's next Friday, March 6th. I'll post with a follow up after the show. :)

Great job in sticking with it! What works best for "us" isn't always what works best for others. I recall a situation recently....I sent the entire packet with invites (I have not jumped on the consultant sending invites wagon just yet), did my host coaching and such. Fast forward to show night and we had a nice turn out and 3 bookings so was I ever surprised when she went thru her packet and returned all 40 of my invites 'cause she has better luck with e-mail and calling her friends. Turned out to be $700 show.

1. What should I do if my host is not following through with their party?

If your host is not following through with their party, the first step is to reach out to them and have a conversation. Ask them if there is anything preventing them from hosting the party and offer support and assistance. You can also remind them of the benefits of hosting, such as free products and discounts. If the host still does not follow through, you can contact our customer service team for further assistance.

2. Can I still receive host rewards if my host does not follow through with their party?

If your host does not follow through with their party, unfortunately, you will not be able to receive host rewards. Host rewards are only available when a party is hosted and sales are generated. However, we do have the option for a catalog or online party where you can still earn rewards without having a physical party.

3. What happens to my orders if my host does not follow through with their party?

If your host does not follow through with their party, any orders that have been placed will still be processed and delivered as usual. We value our customers and want to ensure that you receive your orders in a timely manner, even if the party does not go as planned.

4. Can I switch hosts if my original host does not follow through?

Yes, you can switch hosts if your original host does not follow through with their party. You can either ask another friend or family member to host the party, or you can choose to have a catalog or online party. Just make sure to inform our customer service team of the change in host so they can update the party information.

5. What if my host cancels the party last minute?

If your host cancels the party last minute, we understand that it can be frustrating and disappointing. In this case, we recommend reaching out to our customer service team to see if there are any other options available, such as rescheduling the party for a later date. If not, we can still process any orders that were placed and deliver them to you as usual.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Diamond
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
bellakieu
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies