• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Chocolate Chip Recipe: A Trial Run for a Luau!

The pretzels should form a V coming up from the pan (it's a three-dimensional butterfly). The cold will set the chocolate. Optional: drizzle with white or colored candy coating. Let cool. Cut into wings and drizzle with desired chocolate. Sugar crystals can be added to wings before dipping in chocolate. Enjoy!
Chozengirl
Gold Member
Have flopped!
I used Milk Chocolate Chips, I wonder if I need to use semi-sweet.
I am making a trial batch for a luau on Saturday.
Anyone know anymore about this?

Did you freeze the stone?

Did you hold them in place on a parchment lined frozen stone for a minute or so? Maybe you used too much chocolate?

chefkristin said:
Did you freeze the stone?

This was my first thought too. You will be AMAZED at how fast the chocolate sets up on a cold stone.!!

At our cluster meeting they said to use the chocolate bark... like the white only the darker ... they said it sets up quicker... haven't tried it yet but I did have a bit of trouble with the semi sweet and I did have the stone frozen

LisaAnn said:
Did you hold them in place on a parchment lined frozen stone for a minute or so? Maybe you used too much chocolate?
1) Yes, made sure it froze all day long.
2) I varied the chocolate, and they fell w/ the less used.

man, you have been cookin up a storm today. I think they looked a little tough to make on a large scale. He did have to hold the wings in place for a few seconds... but I bet a lot will still break when you move them

Yea, well I got a wild hair up my butt, not to mention I have a show Saturday & a Luau.
I think I might buy some semi-sweet chocolate tomorrow.
It seems to be more stiffer than the milk chocolate.

that is probably true. Or the baking bark as someone said above

You could also try the Wilton Candy Melts. It sets up pretty quickly.

Chocolate butterflies?? What are ya'll talking about?

Rae, it was something demoed at Conference. They're butterflies made with 2 mini pretzels and some chocolate. I think the instructions are on CC, in the guide to chocolate theme show (the new one).

When I make chocolate designs at a show I use my chillzanne rect. server (gives them another use for it) & it costs more

Could someone post this recipe? I could not find it in the theme show flyer and this sounds fun.

It's not so much a recipe as a technique.

Chill a bar pan (or the Rect Server insert) in the freezer. Melt some chocolate. Remove pan from freezer and top with a piece of parchment. Spoon a dollop of chocolate on the parchment and place 2 mini twist pretzels in the chocolate, forming a butterfly. The pretzels should form a V coming up from the pan (it's a 3-dimensional butterfly). The cold will set the chocolate. Optional: drizzle with white or colored candy coating.

Chef Chris had a demo and it will probably end up on CC with the other demos.

Great thanks Ann. For now I've put it into a word and pdf document so people can easily find it in the future.

Does anyone have pictures?

Attachments

• Chocolate Butterflies.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Chocolate Butterflies.pdf
    2.9 KB · Views: 241
I think the bark chocolate would work better. I use it at Christmas for all the candy that I make and it works really well.

I don't think it would matter, just use whatever chocolate you like best. Me I love dark chocolate.

If using just chocolate chips usually you need to melt a little parrafin (wax) with it when you are making candy. that might make a difference.

I took a picture at the New Products Showcase. Never attached a pic before, crossing my fingers that this works!

Attachments

• Choc. Butterflies.jpg
    Choc. Butterflies.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 422
Very cute!

Thanks for sharing the picture, I was just thinking I would make some and take a picture to post.

No problem. I wanted to have the picture at home so I could fashion mine after them. (in case I forgot!)

Thanks for the picture... I missed the first general session and didn't get to spend much time in the product showcase (actually, I spent most of my time playing with the cookware!!). I think I'm going to add this to my "kids in the kitchen" shows... at least once I perfect it, that is!

Ok so I want to put this recipe on a card to give away to kids at the fair. I am trying to have the instructions fairly detailed.

here is what I have...

Chocolate Butterflies
You will need:
Parchment paper
Small Pretzel twists
Chocolate Almond bark
White Almond Bark
(You can use chocolate chips of choice but they will take longer to set up)
Colored Sugar crystals
Sandwich size Zip-top bags (for drizzling chocolate)

Chill a bar pan (or the Chillzanne Rectangle Server insert) in the freezer.
Melt some chocolate. (Microwave in a glass bowl at 20 second intervals, Stirring at each interval.)
Remove pan from freezer and top with a piece of parchment.
Spoon a dollop of chocolate on the parchment and place 2 mini twist pretzels in the chocolate (single loop down), forming a butterfly.
The pretzels should form a V coming up from the pan (it's a 3-dimensional butterfly).
The cold will set the chocolate.
Optional: drizzle with white or colored candy coating. Works great for kids to put melted chocolate into zip top bags and cut off a small corner. They can then “squish” out the chocolate.

What a great idea! Would cost too much for a LOT, but maybe have prints made of the pic and add the directions with a shipping label stuck to the back!

You could always upload this pic onto Vistaprint, put it on the front of a postcard in color with the name and your contact information and then on the back in black and white have the recipe... right now you can get 100 postcards for free and to upload a pic it's only $2.50!

etteluap70PC said:
Chocolate Almond bark
White Almond Bark
(You can use chocolate chips of choice but they will take longer to set up)

I don't think you want ALMOND bark -- just the solid chocolate/white bark without nuts.
They also make great candy making wafers in the candy aisle of many grocery stores that will also work well.

This is no where near as good a picture of the butterflies as Christy's but it does give you more of the overall set up for doing at a show.

100_2206.jpg

Thanks Laura! That'll be great, as I am doing these as a hands-on things at my mystery host next month! This will be a great reference!

Thanks for the picture. I've updated the recipe documents, here they are.

Attachments

• Chocolate Butterflies.doc
    95 KB · Views: 337
  • Chocolate Butterflies.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 271
Thanks Tasha!

Good Idea Allison.

Maybee I will do the postcards. I wanted something better to give out to the kids that come thru the fair on daycare day. I can attach a piece of candy or something to the PC. Last year I gave out stickers. While the kids liked it it did me no good getting to the parents. I want them to have something to pique their curiosity!

I made these for my open house the day I got back from Conference. I just used the tub of Bakers Chocolate. It works wonders, and so not messy! Easy clean up and yummy results.

I just made these for may son's preschool. I melted the White chocolate chips and put them into a resealable bag and snipped off the end. I then piped a 1" long body onto parchment on my frozen Chillzanne platter. I did about 10 bodies at a time. If you do too many, they will harden before you get the pretzels in. After they hardened, my 3 year old son helped me decorate the wings. I dipped the tips of the wings in more melted chocolate and he then dipped them in the colored sugar.

They were not expensive to make. I got 5 dozen butterflies out of 1 bag of chocolate chips and 1/2 a bag of pretzels.

We took them to his preschool and all the kids loved them. And, not a single one broke.

You definitely need chocolate melts or choclate melting chocolate. You CANNOT use chocolate chips or any kind of baking chocolate! After you melt it, it won't set up! Plus, chocoalte chips are treated with something (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head) that makes them not melt properly... that's why when you make cookies, they maintain their cute chip shape.

Use the wilton melts (like mentioned above) or melting chocolate you get at a cake or candy shop. They will give you the best results and will set up fairly quickly using a frozen stone.

Hope that helps! :)

You can use the white chips. I used Nestle Toll House White Chocolate chips and they worked great. I did not try the regular chocolate, they must be made differently. They set just fine on my Chillzanne and none of them broke.

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "My Chocolate Chip Recipe: A Trial Run for a Luau! Have flopped!

1) What ingredients are used in the recipe?

The recipe typically calls for flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda, and chocolate chips.

2) Why did my chocolate chip cookies flop?

There could be several reasons for this, such as not measuring ingredients accurately, overmixing the dough, or using expired baking soda.

3) Should I use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips?

It ultimately depends on personal preference, but semi-sweet chocolate chips tend to have a stronger, richer chocolate flavor.

4) Can I make a trial batch for a luau on Saturday?

Yes, absolutely! It's always a good idea to do a trial run before a big event to make sure the recipe turns out as desired.

5) Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for this recipe?

Some suggestions could be to chill the dough before baking, using parchment paper on the baking sheet, or adding a sprinkle of sea salt on top for a sweet and salty flavor combination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bridgetbakes
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lovenpc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • kam