• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Semisweet Choc Vs Chips Question

In summary, the recipe called for 4 1-oz squares of semi-sweet chocolate, but you can substitute chips for the squares. The type of caramel makes a difference - the type in the squeezy bottle is looser than the type in the glass jar - and there's more of it. The cake turned out wonderful and was very good. Hope this helps!
kam
Staff member
OK, all you cooks out there...

I am making the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake tonight to "test" it. (BTW this will me my very first skillet cake - I have been dying to try one but no hosts have chosen one - so I am "forced" to make it for us at home!:) )

My question has to do with the chocolate melted with the caramel.

The recipe calls for 4 1-oz squares of semi-sweet chocolate. Can 4 oz of semi-sweet choc chips be used instead? Or are these different?

Just thinking that the chips would be so much easier to deal with instead of the squares of chocolate. I was not very graceful chopping the chocolate and wouldn't want to do it at a show.

Thanks!

As long as the recipe doesn't say semi-sweet BAKING chocolate, you should be fine substituting the chips for the squares.

Have fun, and let us know how it turns out! :)

I am pretty sure that I have made the same substitution...it turned out fine!!

Hope you like it!

I almost always use chips for this recipe - I tell my host that chips are fine, or they can also buy a Ghiradelli Bar - most just use the chips they already have on hand.

I also usually make extra (like 50% more) of this, because I like it running down the sides of the cake.....:chef: YUM!

YES! I make this all the time at shows, but I find that if I use the amount of chocolate called for it's never enough to impressively spread over the edges of the cake like the picture shows. Use about a cup of chocolate chips.

I ALSO found that the type of caramel makes a difference - the type in the squeezy bottle is looser than the type in the glass jar - and there's more of it. So it's easier to spread. I have my hosts get the 20 oz squeezy bottle of caramel - I melt about 8-12 oz of it with the chocolate, and then spread. Then I use most of the rest of the bottle of caramel for the drizzling over the top. Everyone LOVES this cake, and it's a pretty quick demo!

Hope that helps!

=) Jen

Thanks! I will definitely use semi-sweet choc chips next time. That is also a good idea about the squeezy bottle of caramel. DH wanted caramel drizzled over his and it was a little messy trying to drizzle nicely out of the jar.

Oh, and BTW: the cake turned out wonderful!! It was VERY good. And very easy. I can see that this would be good to do at a show - as an extra recipe. Easy to make and stick in oven before guests arrive and simple enough to micro the chips and caramel while guests are there. Oh, and I used my new green nylon knife to cut the cake and it worked nicely. I have never had a "plastic" knife as such and am trying to use it for things and I have found it really does work!

1. What is the difference between semisweet chocolate and chocolate chips?

Semisweet chocolate is a type of chocolate that contains at least 35% cocoa, while chocolate chips are small pieces of chocolate that are specifically made for baking. Semisweet chocolate has a richer flavor and smoother texture compared to chocolate chips.

2. Can I use chocolate chips instead of semisweet chocolate in a recipe?

Yes, you can use chocolate chips as a substitute for semisweet chocolate in most recipes. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different since chocolate chips contain stabilizers to help them hold their shape when baked.

3. Are semisweet chocolate and dark chocolate the same thing?

No, they are not the same. While both contain a high percentage of cocoa, dark chocolate has a higher cocoa content and a more intense, bitter flavor compared to semisweet chocolate. Dark chocolate is also typically not as sweet as semisweet chocolate.

4. Can I melt chocolate chips to use as a coating or drizzle on desserts?

Yes, you can melt chocolate chips to use as a coating or drizzle on desserts. However, keep in mind that chocolate chips contain stabilizers that may affect the texture of the melted chocolate. For best results, use high-quality semisweet chocolate for melting.

5. Can I substitute milk chocolate for semisweet chocolate in a recipe?

Yes, you can substitute milk chocolate for semisweet chocolate in a recipe. However, keep in mind that milk chocolate is sweeter and has less cocoa content, so the end result may be slightly different in terms of flavor and texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • AnnieBee
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Sallie_M
Replies