• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Money-Saving Tips for Busy Moms: Learn How to Save on Gas and More!

In summary, to save money at home, try to do these things: - Plan your day and errands in advance - Price match for groceries and household items - Get the ads from the papers and price match for groceries and household items - Train yourself to never buy anything that is not on sale or that you do not at least have a coupon for- Buy generic items when possible- Make your lunch the night before
chefmeg
Gold Member
Hi to all~I have been sooooo out of the loop from CS for various reasons that just are not worth going into at this point! I have missed keeping up with you all!
Over the last few months, with they way the economy seems to be headed, I have contemplated going back to my "real job"....that is NOT going to happen, but I do still need to be able to save more money than we do right now. You are all such a wealth of info, that I thought I would start a thread that we could share ideas on how to save money at home (not really related to our businesses, but they could be!).

Here are two of mine:

I have a specific day that I do all errands in order to save gas.
I plot out my trip so that I make only right turns! (learned this from UPS!)

Crap where I live I would never get any where making only right hand turns! If I don't turn left I'd end up on a dead end street! :)

Plan your meals for the week. Go through your cupboards and freezer and see what you have. Don't forget about using up the things you already have, otherwise they go bad/get freezer burned and end up in the trash. It also helps so you have more components for your recipes and you won't need to buy as much to complete your meals. Planning your menu for the week also helps so that you're ready to cook and you won't have to take time and use gas running to the store a couple different times. Shop with a list otherwise it's too easy to let things jump into the cart! :D

Get the ads from the papers and price match for groceries and household items. I have an item column, a price column and an original store column. Have coupons too.... just watch and make sure you are really getting the best deal, sometimes Wallyworld is cheaper than the pricematched store. So, doing this - I plan my weekly menu and then plan my shopping trip. Takes a little extra time, but saves money. I also TRY to go alone! It is easier to concentrate if I am not worring about the kids too. (doesn't always work tho! :) )

I also have been planting a garden the past 3 years. The initial cost of the canner is a little high, but it is a one time cost. Now I can all my own veggies, pickles, tomato sauces etc.

I buy all of my daughter's clothes in the opposite season. I buy her spring/summer clothes in the fall when they go on sale. & I do the same w/ her fall/winter clothes, I get in the spring. I just buy the next size!

I also go to farmstands to get my fruits/vegis. It's usually a lot cheaper. Plus I like to help out the local farmers.

I have also trained myself to never buy anything that is not on sale or that I do not at least have a coupon for. If I have to pay full price, I don't really need it. I tell myself I can wait a week or 2 until it is on sale. & If it's a really good deal, I stock up on it!! :)

Oh & I buy a lot of generic items b/c the quality is usually just as good. Somethings you just can't beat the name brands though.

This is my biggie - make your lunch the night before. Otherwise I end up rushing around in the morning, leaving without lunch and buying lunch from the cafeteria.

sk8rgrrl99 said:
This is my biggie - make your lunch the night before. Otherwise I end up rushing around in the morning, leaving without lunch and buying lunch from the cafeteria.

And you're also saving money because you are eating up leftovers, instead of throwing them away!

Hee hee - at least, that's what I tell my DH! He has leftover pasta in his lunch today, and leftover grilled pork loin yesterday...:chef:

I take advantage of a lot of "buy one get one free" offers...the only thing though, make sure that if you do this, that they are on things that are NOT going to expire. I have enough shampoo to last me about 2 yrs and I just looked at my closet, I have 4 bottles of Loreal Kids shampoo and 3 tubes of toothpaste that we use. I think if you can stock up on deals like that for toiletries, that is one less thing you have to think about spending money on. I also buy Toilet paper, paper towels, Lysol wipes, etc, when they are on sale because I am always going to use these things.

ChefBeckyD said:
And you're also saving money because you are eating up leftovers, instead of throwing them away!

That is SO true. My sister and her family came over on Sunday and we ordered chinese food. Now I have a bunch left over and I need to eat it up before it goes bad.

Some people may think I'm cheap, but when buying anything say over $50 (TV, couch, camera, computer, even a mat for the back of my car) I have no problems asking, "What is the best price I can get on this" or "Can you give me anything off"?? It is amazing what reduction you can get just by asking. Otherwise, they are more than happy to take the full price from you.

I make lasagne in two pans and freeze one. Two days after Thanksgiving or cooking a turkey, I put any leftovers (cut into pieces) into zip lock freezer bags so we don't get tired of turkey and have it always ready for salads or dishes or chx casseroles.

I've started using vinegar as a fabric softener, and as a cleaner for windows, in the kitchen, etc....

As soon as my laundry detergent is gone, I'll be making my own laundry detergent too. My goal is to someday make my own soap too...but baby steps!

It's not only a money saver, it's also better for the environment!

Take advantage of printable coupons and the CVS extra care buck system. I've stocked us up on bathwash, toothpaste, new toothbrushes, shampoo, etc. from CVS off of the same initial $15 I spent about 2 months ago. I currently still have $15 in ECB's to shop for other household items. If you have a Publix grocery, you can get fantastic deals when they offer buy one get one items (you don't have to buy 2 to get the sale price) you can use manufacturer's coupons, and competitor store coupons, and they double so frequently things can be nearly free (the other day I got 64 oz. juicy juices for $.84 each, sour cream for free, green giant frozen veg. for free, pop tarts for $.11 etc.). It can take a little time and effort, but a grocery trip with savings of $50 or more is worth it to us!

Get rid of premium channels on your cable/satellite provider - it will surprise you how little you watch them and how little you miss them when they are gone.

Get rid of extra cable boxes - we only have 1 TV with a cable box, one regular TV in the kitchen with basic channels (just for watching the news) and one TV in the playroom for the kids' games. No need for cable/satellite on every TV in the house!

Get the smallest phone plan you can get, and watch your minutes. Sticking to the minimum really keeps you from spending more than you need to. Don't get the text plans unless you have kids who text (then get the unlimited!).

Open the windows instead of using the air conditioning as much as possible. We don't have central air, so we only put window air conditioners in our bedrooms in July & Aug, and only use them sparingly. It cuts our utility bill down considerably.

Cancel the lawn service (fertilizing/cutting/chemicals) and cut it yourselves. It's good exercise and saves us over $100 a month.

Trade in the gas-guzzler for a more fuel-economy car. I did this last summer, and have saved $1000's in gas since July of last year. Plus, it's better for the environment.

Collect all of your stuff in your attic and have a garage sale or take it to a consignment shop. Whatever you can't sell, donate to the Salvation Army/Purple Heart and get the tax write-off. Either way, you win (less stuff cluttering your attic/garage, more $ in your pocket). You can do this with books, too - sell off any books you've read and are "gently used" on Amazon.com so you can afford to buy other used books for your summer reading.

Get rid of the credit cards. Consolidate your debt into one payment per month and pay it off asap.

That's all I can think of so far. We've done some major overhauling of our finances lately, and this is what is helping us.

Great ideas.. Thanks a lot!!!!!

cathyskitchen said:
Get rid of premium channels on your cable/satellite provider - it will surprise you how little you watch them and how little you miss them when they are gone.

Get rid of extra cable boxes - we only have 1 TV with a cable box, one regular TV in the kitchen with basic channels (just for watching the news) and one TV in the playroom for the kids' games. No need for cable/satellite on every TV in the house!

Get the smallest phone plan you can get, and watch your minutes. Sticking to the minimum really keeps you from spending more than you need to. Don't get the text plans unless you have kids who text (then get the unlimited!).

Open the windows instead of using the air conditioning as much as possible. We don't have central air, so we only put window air conditioners in our bedrooms in July & Aug, and only use them sparingly. It cuts our utility bill down considerably.

Cancel the lawn service (fertilizing/cutting/chemicals) and cut it yourselves. It's good exercise and saves us over $100 a month.

Trade in the gas-guzzler for a more fuel-economy car. I did this last summer, and have saved $1000's in gas since July of last year. Plus, it's better for the environment.

Collect all of your stuff in your attic and have a garage sale or take it to a consignment shop. Whatever you can't sell, donate to the Salvation Army/Purple Heart and get the tax write-off. Either way, you win (less stuff cluttering your attic/garage, more $ in your pocket). You can do this with books, too - sell off any books you've read and are "gently used" on Amazon.com so you can afford to buy other used books for your summer reading.

Get rid of the credit cards. Consolidate your debt into one payment per month and pay it off asap.

That's all I can think of so far. We've done some major overhauling of our finances lately, and this is what is helping us.

Cathy, who did you go through to consolidate your debt....I worry about getting ripped off to do this!

I got a Wells Fargo credit card offer since we have our mortgage with them. It was an offer of 0% interest for 12 months, and no transfer fees, so I transferred all of my balances to this and I'm paying it down monthly. If I don't have it completely paid down by the end of the 12 months, I'll just transfer the balance to another 0% credit card until it's done. I got rid of all of my credit cards except the one we use for groceries and gas (that we pay off every month). Now I have no interest/finance charges to pay :)

gailz2 said:
Some people may think I'm cheap, but when buying anything say over $50 (TV, couch, camera, computer, even a mat for the back of my car) I have no problems asking, "What is the best price I can get on this" or "Can you give me anything off"?? It is amazing what reduction you can get just by asking. Otherwise, they are more than happy to take the full price from you.

Your not cheap, your thrifty.:D

I can say this because I am too - cheap I mean.:rolleyes:

Great advice above, I agree with all the cost cutting measures but my #1 tip is : use your public library. You can get dvd's, cd's, books on cd, self help, fiction, kids books... FOR FREE Plus they are good for at least a week (dvd's) with no late charges or I can renew book for up to 6 weeks... AlsoI am a magazine junkie, they have subscriptions so you get the most current magazines & don't have to pay out the $ for a subscription. I don't need to own them, but sometimes I like to read them in my 10 minutes of quiet ;) They will sometimes offer book exchanges or book sales, always a great time to go.
My kids love the library - we can order material online so that it is shipped to our local branch instead of having to drive to the other side of the county for one book... again there is no charge for this service & they'll give me a call when they arrive! If they don't carry a book you want, you can request it!

Also, re: the library, be sure to pop into the children's area. At ours is a HUGE box of coupons and I go through them every friday.

ChefBeckyD said:
I've started using vinegar as a fabric softener, and as a cleaner for windows, in the kitchen, etc....

As soon as my laundry detergent is gone, I'll be making my own laundry detergent too. My goal is to someday make my own soap too...but baby steps!

It's not only a money saver, it's also better for the environment!

Okay, I totally need to hear how you are going to do this... :D

1. How can I save money on gas as a busy mom?

One way to save on gas is to plan your errands and trips efficiently. Try to combine multiple errands into one trip to avoid unnecessary driving. You can also consider carpooling with other moms in your area or using public transportation.

2. Are there any tips for saving money on groceries?

Yes, planning your meals and making a grocery list before heading to the store can help you save money. Stick to your list and avoid impulse purchases. You can also use coupons, shop at discount stores, and buy in bulk to save on groceries.

3. How can I save money on household expenses?

One way to save money on household expenses is to cut back on unnecessary subscriptions or services. You can also try DIY alternatives for cleaning or maintenance tasks, and switch to energy-efficient appliances to save on electricity bills.

4. Are there any money-saving tips for busy moms when it comes to kids' activities?

Yes, look for free or low-cost activities in your community, such as local parks, libraries, and community centers. You can also swap toys or clothes with other moms to save money. Additionally, consider setting a budget for extracurricular activities and stick to it.

5. How can I save money on family vacations?

One way to save money on family vacations is to plan ahead and search for deals on flights and accommodations. You can also opt for a staycation or plan a road trip instead of expensive flights. Additionally, try to avoid tourist traps and opt for free or low-cost activities during your trip.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedK
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam