• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mom's Old Springform Pan: Is a Special Pan Needed?

cheesecake?...in the water bath. If you're wanting to do this to loosen the cheesecake; there's not really a need. Just use the loosening tool or a quickcut knife & run it around the edges. Then just release. I've never had a cheesecake or anything stick. (knocking on wood!)
SusanBP0129
I have my mom's old springform pan. Anything "special" about the PC one or am I fine with what I have?

The feature I love best about the PC pan is that it has a "pebbled-textured" glass bottom, so it is nonstick, but you can use it to serve and don't have to ever worry about scratching it!

I have the old PC spring form pan, the one w/out the glass bottom and that sucker leaks EVERY time I use it!

Another thing I like about the newer pc pan is with the glass bottom it will not become warped and leak. All of my other springform pans have found a good home because the bottoms were all warped from lots of use, even the older pc one was.

And the PC one comes with the fluted insert, which makes it useful for more things (I use mine for ice molds for punch with pretty berries and water) And you can get a star insert for it in the outlet, which I haven't tried yet. And the glass bottom and handles are nice.

Not to hijack the thread...but I did purchase the springform pan, and the star insert recently...and they sit in the box! I got it so that "if i want to someday make cheescake" ....but can anyone give me more ideas so that I can use it sooner, or on more of a day to day basis??

I have an older PC springform pan with the heart insert and I've made heart shaped cakes with it. I'm a HUGE cheesecake fan, so I do make cheesecakes. I would imagine you could make a cute star, regular cake and impress :)

The season that the star was in the product line (mid-season), HO had created a "Star Spangled Summer" theme. And there was a dessert that used the star insert in the pan, and ladyfingers, pudding, you know, good stuff. I think I have the flier with the recipes at home (but not here at work, darn it!).

chefann said:
The season that the star was in the product line (mid-season), HO had created a "Star Spangled Summer" theme. And there was a dessert that used the star insert in the pan, and ladyfingers, pudding, you know, good stuff. I think I have the flier with the recipes at home (but not here at work, darn it!).

Ann--have you found the flyer yet? TIA

I just bought the star insert to play around w/ off the outlet. I will give Martha Stewart a run for her money!!! Watch out Martha here I come!

So, with this one I can do the waterbath method without leaking and soggy crust??? Gotta know if this works. Someone tell me if they have tried it.

I had a guest at one of my shows bring a green chili cheesecake to the show that she had made in the PC springform pan...it sounds gross but was really delicious. I have called and emailed her for the recipe but she has yet to cough it up -- anyone have a recipe like this?

pamperedharriet said:
Ann--have you found the flyer yet? TIA

Thanks for the reminder! Here it is. The recipe I was thinking of was the "Lady Liberty Lemon Dessert." The "Stars and Stripes Dessert Pizza" is really good, too.

LisaVH said:
So, with this one I can do the waterbath method without leaking and soggy crust??? Gotta know if this works. Someone tell me if they have tried it.

I can't remember if I did or not. You can always wrap the pan with foil to prevent leakage.

Attachments

• SSS_RecipeFlyer.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 472
LisaVH said:

If you're wanting to do this to loosen the cheesecake; there's not really a need. Just use the loosening tool or a quickcut knife & run it around the edges. Then just release. I've never had a cheesecake or anything stick. (knocking on wood!)
I love the newer one so much better than the old:)

I use mine all the time for the key lime mousse cake ( Spring seasons best recipe a few years ago ) & our favorite the 7 layer dip.
Teresa

Teresa Lynn said:
I use mine all the time for the key lime mousse cake ( Spring seasons best recipe a few years ago ) & our favorite the 7 layer dip.
Teresa
Would you share the recipes? TIA :)

lacychef said:
If you're wanting to do this to loosen the cheesecake; there's not really a need. Just use the loosening tool or a quickcut knife & run it around the edges. Then just release. I've never had a cheesecake or anything stick. (knocking on wood!)
I love the newer one so much better than the old:)

The waterbath is actually to cook the cheesecake slowly. The slower it cooks, the less likely it is to curdle or split on the top. Although any cracks on the top can be masked with whipped cream or fruit. :) To bake a cheesecake in a waterbath, place a towel in the bottom of a large pan (our roaster is great), place the filled Springform in the pan, and then pour enough boiling water into the roaster to come about halfway up the sides of the springform.

Ann I have never heard of cooking cheesecake this way. Does it take longer than normal?

I don't think so. There are so many different ways to bake a cheesecake. I've seen recipes that say start out at high heat, then back it down, and let it sit with the oven off but closed for another hour. Some recipes specifically mention a waterbath, others don't. I don't think it should add significantly to the baking time.

Scientifically, the water creates a thermal mass that releases heat more gently into the cheesecake. The gentle heat reduces the chance of curdling from overcooking. If you picture "done" as a finish line, and "overcooked" as a brick wall not too far beyond the finish line, it's easy to see that cooking slower reduces the chance of the race car (the cheesecake in this instance) going past the finish line and crashing into the brick wall.

The recipe below is from foodnetwork.com and uses a waterbath. But it doesn't use a springform, it uses a 3" deep cake pan instead.

Sour Cream Cheesecake Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Cheesecake

Crust:
33 graham cracker squares, crumbled
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional, for brushing the pan
1 tablespoon sugar
Filling:
20 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Brush some of the melted butter around a 9 by 3-inch cake pan. Adhere parchment to the bottom and the sides.
In a small bowl, combine crumbled graham crackers, the remaining melted butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the parchment-lined pan. Place remaining crumbs on a sheet pan and bake both the crust and the remaining mixture for 10 minutes. Cool. Reserve additional crumb mixture for sides.

In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat sour cream for 10 seconds. Add the cream cheese and sugar and mix on low for 30 seconds and then turn up to medium. Scrape the bowl.

In a separate container, combine vanilla, eggs, yolks, and heavy cream. With the mixer on medium, slowly pour the liquid mixture in. When half of it is incorporated, stop and scrape. Continue adding the mixture until the rest of the ingredients are incorporated. Once completely combined, pour into the cooled crust.

Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees F. Place cheesecake into a preheated water bath, in the oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and open the door for one minute. Close the door for one more hour. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to completely cool before serving.

When ready to serve, place the entire cake pan into a hot water bath for about 15 seconds. Unmold onto a cake round or serving dish. Take the remaining graham cracker mixture and press into the sides of the cake.

To slice, place your knife into a hot water bath and wipe dry each time you make a pass through the cake.

BTW, the racecar example I used is from Good Eats. I love that show!

Okay Ann you don't have to go over my head. LOL! Thanks for the info, did you notice I have my stripper star?

I LOVE Good Eats!! DH & I watch it all the time! Alton Brown is awesome!

pamperedalf said:
Okay Ann you don't have to go over my head. LOL! Thanks for the info, did you notice I have my stripper star?

I did see that you have your star - congrats!

And I didn't mean to go over your head. Sometimes I just get all "explainey" until someone shuts me up. Sorry. :eek:

mmm all these recipes sound good and are making me hungry. Now its time to get me a springform pan : )

I guess I should have figured that out:rolleyes: I've seen recipes for custards & things to bake like that, but never a cheesecake. My cheesecake cracked, but I just topped it w/cherry pie filling & all was well!

lacychef said:
My cheesecake cracked, but I just topped it w/cherry pie filling & all was well!

I take cracking as a sign from above that it needs fruit or whipped cream.

Found this recipe and...Have done this many times. It went over at work so well I ended up giving away about 25 copies of the recipe and have gotten 25 YEAHs because they made it too! I am making one for New Years Eve too! Oh and NO, there is no substitue for the Merkt's. For some reason it is the only cheese that stays thick enough so the layers don't "float". (If the brand you got says "dippable" it will NOT work!) If you use another brand, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese for each of two containers of spread. (Two cheddar spreads add 1/2 cup grated cheese.) Finely chop the already shredded cheese with the Food Chopper or use the SMALL grate barrel of the Cheese Grater, and add that to the spread you do buy. (Yeah, you can cheat and use the blender (hard to get cheese out of) or food processor to add it the cheddar spread you do use!)
This is fun because you can do whatever YOU like to each layer. Add 6 to 8 pieces crisp bacon to a cheddar layer instead of the garlic and peppers. Add carrot, onion and garlic to a cream cheese layer instead of black pepper. The imagination and tastebuds are the only limits here.

Attachments

• ELEGANT CHEESE TORTE.doc
    695.1 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

1. Can I use a regular cake pan instead of a springform pan?

No, a regular cake pan is not a suitable substitute for a springform pan. The unique feature of a springform pan is the removable bottom which allows for easy release of delicate baked goods such as cheesecakes and tortes.

2. How do I properly clean and maintain my springform pan?

To clean your springform pan, hand wash it with warm soapy water and a soft sponge. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or metal utensils which can scratch the non-stick coating. To maintain the non-stick surface, lightly grease the pan before each use and avoid using sharp objects to cut or remove baked goods.

3. Can I use a springform pan in a water bath?

Yes, you can use a springform pan in a water bath. However, it is important to properly wrap the pan in foil to prevent any water from seeping into the pan and ruining your baked goods.

4. What size springform pan should I use for a specific recipe?

The size of the springform pan needed for a recipe will depend on the specific recipe instructions. Most springform pans come in 9-inch or 10-inch sizes, so it is important to check the recipe for the recommended size.

5. Can I use a springform pan in the microwave?

No, springform pans are not suitable for use in the microwave. They are typically made of metal which can cause sparks and damage to the microwave. It is best to use a microwave-safe dish for any recipes that require microwave cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • aslion
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
aslion
  • babywings76