• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Missing Guest Payment, Host Is Upset!

In summary, the host says that she thinks she may have lost a check from the guest. The guest says she doesn't remember giving it to the host, and the host tries to figure out what to do.
chefsteph07
I just went to submit a show from last weekend, before I turned it in I did a quick check just to make sure I had everyone's payments in order, and I found I was missing a payment. I called the host and told her that I didn't have this person's money and she got nasty with me and told me that she watched her hand me the check...I put all money that I get in my money bag and everyone's is there but hers...It's a $70 order! I am not going to cover that! I don't think she gave me the check,because if she did I"d have it, but I could be wrong...why would I have everyone's but hers? What should I do?

I could tell my host was mad, but I am not turning in this show w/o the money...I cannot cover her order, if it was smaller I would, but I'm not doing it. I don't have the guests number, she didn't put it on her order form.

I think I should just be firm and tell her that I don't have it, but I do have everyone else's and if she can give a debit or credit number for it I can submit I'll do it tonight but otherwise I can't do anything. If I cancel her order it will drop her host benefits. What would you do??

This is a host I"ve never met before, so I don't know if I should trust that she "watched" me take the payment, it's not like I stuff checks in my pockets or anything...immediately when I get a check I put it in the bag. This is the first time this has happened.

I would actually call the guest and see what she says. Maybe she has a duplicate check to show if she did pay or not.

What if the guest said she did?
I've checked everything, my bag w/ the catalogs that I take, in between all order forms, etc. I simply don't have it.

Try to get the guest's phone number (whitepages.com or from the host) and call the guest directly. I know she's mad, but tell your host that you want to make sure she gets all her host benefits and that all of her guests get what they wanted.

If she did write a check, you can tell her that it was lost. She can give you a credit card # or send you another check. Assure her that if the old check surfaces, you will mail it back.

I would not send in the guest's order without the money.

Definitely contact the guest and see if she has a duplicate check. If she did give you a check, then unfortunately you may have misplaced or lost the check.

Perhaps she can stop payment and give you a credit card. I would offer to cover the stop check fee.

Hope that helps -

chefsteph07 said:
What if the guest said she did?
I've checked everything, my bag w/ the catalogs that I take, in between all order forms, etc. I simply don't have it.

You could offer to pay a cancel check fee (would be cheaper than the whole order amount) if she can prove she did write you a check. Or maybe she'll realize she left without doing it at all and be honest with you.

I once thought I'd lost a host's check. She had paid for her own and several other orders. I was beside myself. Plus, it was late when I got home, so I didn't even open things until the next day. I couldn't get hold of her. I told her I would hold the show until I talked with her. I offered to pay the check cancellation fee and make the 1-hour drive to her home to pick it up. I tried calling all day.That evening, she phoned. She and I both remembered her writing the check. However, that check was still in her checkbook! We both had a good laugh. I picked the check up the next day. Tragedy averted.It's very possible that something similar happened with your guest.

I did think to offer to pay a stop payment fee for her.
but, she can check the bank and know that it wasn't cashed...
I just don't know...don't remember her giving it to me at all. I've tried doing the one on one checkout and it NEVER works out, this particular show I had 5 people throwing order forms and checks at me at the same time so I don't even recall taking it from her. But, I am diligent about if I get a check handed to me I put it right in the bag immediately.

This doesn't help now, but I have gotten in the habit of writing the check number on the order form, then putting the check in my bag. Helps me know whether or not I received the check..no check, no number on the form.Robin

chefsteph07 said:
I just don't know...don't remember her giving it to me at all. I've tried doing the one on one checkout and it NEVER works out, this particular show I had 5 people throwing order forms and checks at me at the same time so I don't even recall taking it from her. But, I am diligent about if I get a check handed to me I put it right in the bag immediately.

Okay Steph, time to pull on your big girl panties. You can take checkout under control.

Tell your guests that you will meet with them one at a time. Designate a spot for them to pile up their order forms (face down) and a spot for lapboards, pens & catalogs if applicable. Pull an order form from the bottom of the pile. Do you take your computer? If so, type in the person's name and then call them over to join you. If I manage to set up my computer in an out-of-the-way spot, I ask the person I've just finished with to send in "Jane Doe", the next person in the pile.

If they come over and stand around with their order from, say "Just put your order in the pile and I'll call you over as soon as I get to your name. In the meantime, grab something to eat and visit with your friends."

You can do this!

LOL
I know, I'm normally a control freak as it is! I do have the best intentions to do the one on one checkout!
For my next show (in Jan) I WILL do this suggesstion you have!
Big girl panties are IN CHECK! ha ha

Now, to put on those same panties and deal w/ this guest...

I also put the check number on the order form before putting the check away. I tell them I do this so if they had not had the chance to put it in their journal they will have the information when they get home and most are very appreciative. I would call the guest and I am willing to bet she will be more understanding than the host :)

chefsteph07 said:
LOL
I know, I'm normally a control freak as it is! I do have the best intentions to do the one on one checkout!

I know you can! :)

Like Fluffy said, I'm sure the guest will be much more understanding than the host.

chefsteph07 said:
LOL

Just call the guest, you never know what actually happened! It will make you feel better to take care of this.

chefjeanine said:
Okay Steph, time to pull on your big girl panties. You can take checkout under control.

Tell your guests that you will meet with them one at a time. Designate a spot for them to pile up their order forms (face down) and a spot for lapboards, pens & catalogs if applicable. Pull an order form from the bottom of the pile. Do you take your computer? If so, type in the person's name and then call them over to join you. If I manage to set up my computer in an out-of-the-way spot, I ask the person I've just finished with to send in "Jane Doe", the next person in the pile.

If they come over and stand around with their order from, say "Just put your order in the pile and I'll call you over as soon as I get to your name. In the meantime, grab something to eat and visit with your friends."

You can do this!

I need to do this too. :rolleyes: I run into the same situation as Steph...people throwing their forms at me and being swamped all at once, it seems!

Good luck Steph. I won't repeat what everyone said, but I agree that the guest will likely be more understanding. Let us know how it goes! :)

I'm kinda there with you right now, except mine is a declined card with no phone number. I on the other hand am lucky that it's my mom's show and it's a relative. I just tried to rerun her card, but if that doesn't work, then my mom is going to give me the cash, and then hold her items for ransom. I said, well, if she doesn't pay, you can keep her stuff... funny thing is she already has the items... she laughed and said oh geee thanks!

I hope things work out for you! I'm really hoping is a matter of forgetting to tear the check out of the book!

She can check her bank & if the check is not cashed then she should be ok w/giving you another check or debit card number I would think. Can you check your previous deposits to make sure you didn't deposit it with another show? If it does come up cashed I'd ask her to get a copy of it from the back to see who endorsed it. If it wasn't you then that is a major law broken by the person that did cash it. When checking that it cleared she also needs to verify the amount in case she wrote it down as you but really wrote it out for something else. Good luck!

Actually, one of my other PC mates suggessted that I possibly deposited it by accident w/ another show...that is definitely possible, and I also put in some other misc money so I am going to check to see if has been cashed.
Again, I DOUBT it, but it's entirely possible.

Thanks so much guys, I've had a headache over this all day!

Always write the check # on the order form BEFORE you give the guest their copy. That way you know and the guest knows that they did pay and what the check number was in case of a problem. I always put mine directly in my money bag too.

And I would not pay for the order. If they did write you a check, then they will have a duplicate or record that they wrote it. I would get the # from the host and call the guest directly. I HATE it when guests do not fill in all of the info on the order forms. I had a similar thing happen to me earlier this year. The host was like " I don't know how this is my problem" and i was like "well your guest did not give me her phone # so either you need to give it to me so I can contact her directly or you will need to call her and have her call me."

It just makes things difficult if there is a problem to resolve.

Sorry you ahve to deal with this.

Last edited:
Also... if they do not have duplicate chacks if it is cashed the bank makes a copy. I can look at copies of the cashed checks when I do my online banking.

Did you check in between the pages of the order form? This just happened to me last week. I always put the $$ in my bag...well, always must not have been this time!

Ugh..I am soo frustrated right now... After a week, I finally spoke to the guest of this whole mess w/ the check..I had sent her a letter explaining the situation and left her my number to call me back, she finally calls me today, leaves 2 messages on my cell (I left that number as a contact number) and in the first message she says that she knows she gave me the check, etc, in the 2nd message she says she wants a call back from me and she knows that it was cashed and cleared. I called her back as soon as I got the message, profusely apologized, then I told her that if she could give me a date that it was deposited so I can match it up "with my records", obviously I want a deposit date so I KNOW she gave me the check and it was deposited mistakenly by me. I already contacted my bank and they can not give me an itemized list of checks that were deposited. When I asked her to provide me w/ a date she tells me that she does not feel she should have to tell me that information but she wants a refund...Well, I'm not giving her a refund w/o knowing WHEN it was put in the bank...how do I know she actually wrote me the check and gave it to me if I don't have a deposit date...so she was very rude to me after I profusely apologized for the hassle and told me what bad business this was, etc. I told her that I do apologize but it was a clerical error on my half and I take full responsibility. She told me she was going to call PC and "report" me, etc. And I just told her regardless that I needed this info before I could give her a refund and if she could just help me out on this I would appreciate it. She told me that I would have to wait till tomorrow until she can call her bank for the info...and then basically hung up on me.

I do know that I made a mistake and her check probably got deposited w/ a few other shows, but I had a lot going in at the middle of the month and it is quite possible that hers slipped in w/ another show...and I had some personal checks as well, etc that were all lumped in so the EXACT amt of the show was not going to match what I put in...

Honestly, this has never happened to me before and I feel like a total loser, but I am NOT going to issue a refund until I KNOW that it was deposited. I could see someone knowing that they didn't pay me say "yeah I paid you now I want a refund"...not going to happen...am I wrong???

You are not wrong! If she can't give you that info, she doesn't deserve a refund. I am so sorry you are going through this!

I back you...I wouldn't give a refund w/out more proof either. She can get a copy of the front & BACK of the check to give you. That would show what account that it went to for your records. People do it all the time & a lot can do it on their online banking.

Thanks Jane, you know, it's things like this that make me wonder if I am right for this business...I take things too personally and right now I feel like a million pounds are on my shoulders, I made a mistake, yes it was stupid and I feel like hiding. I am waiting for the host to call me and start on me too...I wish this had happened to a past host I already knew... :cry:

I just feel like such an idiot...

kaseydee said:
I back you...I wouldn't give a refund w/out more proof either. She can get a copy of the front & BACK of the check to give you. That would show what account that it went to for your records. People do it all the time & a lot can do it on their online banking.

Yeah, I can imagine asking her for a copy of the check since it seemed like just asking her for a date it was deposited was like asking her for her personal info! I keep thinking if this had happened to me and someone called about this, I'd get on the computer right then w/ them on the phone and say "yes it was deposited right here on this date, hope this helps you..." In no way would I degrade that person and make them feel like crap.

people today are scum, they have no feelings for "strangers" to them, you are just another stranger. They know they'll probably never see you again, and have no respect for you. Its just wrong... wish I had a magic wand to make it all better, but unfortunately I don't! Sorry this is happening to you!

Oh, and I'd welcome the person to "report you" to home office. You are only asking for proof of deposit. I am quite sure home office will back you too if it comes to that! I don't see anyone there demanding you give this lady $70 without proof she even paid!

And, I'd be glad it was a stranger, not someone you have built a relationship with. This way, you are only losing the host and possibly some people at her show, if that even. If it was a past host, you could stand to lose much more!

I had something similar happen to me this summer when I lost a person's order and check, and I felt so stupid about it too! I don't think there is another emotion to feel about it. But, in my case, the lady was very friendly. She just canceled her order and reassured me that she knows it happens from time to time. There's no excuse for the rude treatment you're getting here. I would be happy to not ever have to do business with these two when all gets finished.

I was just thinking if it was a past host or someone I had dealt with that they would know that I wasn't that kind of person to just casually lose track of someone's payment.
I guess you are right...I didn't even get any bookings from the show, so I'm not really losing anything.

candiejayne said:
people today are scum, they have no feelings for "strangers" to them, you are just another stranger. They know they'll probably never see you again, and have no respect for you. Its just wrong... wish I had a magic wand to make it all better, but unfortunately I don't! Sorry this is happening to you!

This made me laugh..that people are scum...so true but wish it weren't!
Thanks so much for the encouragement guys!

chefsteph07 said:
Thanks Jane, you know, it's things like this that make me wonder if I am right for this business...I take things too personally and right now I feel like a million pounds are on my shoulders, I made a mistake, yes it was stupid and I feel like hiding. I am waiting for the host to call me and start on me too...I wish this had happened to a past host I already knew... :cry:

I just feel like such an idiot...

That just shows what a good person you are. You hold yourself to a high standard. Maybe too high -- you are allowed to make mistakes, you know :).
This woman sounds like "hurting unit" as my dad would say. She's unhappy in life and wants to make you feel the same.

Hopefully she'll be decent enough to get you the info you need. Once she does, bless and release & move forward.

And of course you're right for this business. YOU ROCK!

I would require proof of it being cashed and a duplicate if you even consider refunding her. Just because she gives you a date doesn't mean she didn't make it up.

You are doing all the right things! It makes me a little suspicious that she wants a refund and refuses to tell you the # of the check and when it was cashed.... Hopefully your bank can go through the last month's deposits and not find it to prove you don't have it!

Why would anyone cancel an order or ask for a refund for this? Are people really that untrusting??? I had a similar situation - a guest sent in 3 orders for a catalog show. She swears she mailed me 3 cheques but I never got them. The guests were a bit miffed when I told them I needed new cheques but I think generally they understood because they just re-wrote them and asked me to mail them back when they came in the mail. They never did show up so I'm thinking the guest never did send them. Or she sent them to the wrong address.

I would definitely ask to see a copy of the check, front and back. Just b/c she gives you a date doesn't mean that she didn't make it up. If someone asked me for that info, I'd gladly provide it, then keep my order! :) Sounds like she's looking for some extra Christmas $.

Well, I made one deposit for PC in November and I know the date of the deposit, that's why I'm thinking if she gives me a date that it was presented I can match it up w/ the date I deposited the money if I put her check in by accident. If she is way off base on the date it was cashed by her bank then I will ask for a copy of the front and back.

I was thinking last night about something else she said, she said "well, how do I know my check isn't floating out there somewhere?"..AFTER she told me she knew it had been cashed by her bank! I said to her that if she knew it had been cashed then she knew it wasn't floating out there...I thought that was weird.

I know what you mean Crystal, I wouldn't cancel my order if something like this happened and I would DEFINITELY cooperate w/ the person who was simply asking for help determining where this money was. I basically told her that unless she cooperated w/ me on this I can't do anything for her as far as a refund.

Sounds to me like you are totally handling it professionally, Steph! Don't doubt your ability to do this business because of something like this. If it was a reasonable person you were dealing with, I'm sure you wouldn't feel nearly as bad, right? I pray that if I am ever in a similar situation with someone unreasonable that I have the smarts to handle it as well as you have! Keep us posted how it turns out though.

chefsteph07 said:
...... I already contacted my bank and they can not give me an itemized list of checks that were deposited.

This is absolutely not true. Everything that goes through a bank processing center is digitally photographed. You can get a copy of that deposit (front and back) and all of the items that were with it. Some banks may charge you for it, but you can get it. Talk to someone else, you were misinformed. It may be that the office you were at cannot pull it up on the computer, but it can be ordered and it is your right to see it.

Sorry, the retired Police Dispatcher in me says that she's trying to pull one over on you. Why else would she get so defensive? Then to demand a refund? Really weird.

Thats what I am thinking to weird. . . .very wierd. But yes the bank CAN give you a copy. . . I would call again I worked in banking for many years. If you talked to someone in the branch then I would call the main office. Good luck keep us posted

pamperedlinda said:
This is absolutely not true. Everything that goes through a bank processing center is digitally photographed. You can get a copy of that deposit (front and back) and all of the items that were with it. Some banks may charge you for it, but you can get it. Talk to someone else, you were misinformed. It may be that the office you were at cannot pull it up on the computer, but it can be ordered and it is your right to see it.

Thanks for the info..maybe the person I spoke with just didn't want to deal with it at the moment..I wondered if everything was individually photographed or recorded in some way. I put the checks in all in one lump sum so I wasnt sure and I didn't itemize them on my deposit slip.

chefsteph07 said:
Thanks for the info..maybe the person I spoke with just didn't want to deal with it at the moment..I wondered if everything was individually photographed or recorded in some way. I put the checks in all in one lump sum so I wasnt sure and I didn't itemize them on my deposit slip.

Everything in the deposit will be photographed (front and back). And, it will all be processed together so they won't have to look the individual items up. Just ask for a copy of the deposit, they have to give it to you (again, some banks charge for this service). They legally have to keep these records for years.

I"m going to call again this afternoon and ask to speak to a manager to see if I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the help Linda!

Great, let me know how it turns out for you.

Don't give her a refund until you know for sure you deposited the check - no matter what she said. You may not have seen my post last month but my hostess told me she had mailed me the checks and they must have gotten lost, she even said she would mail me new ones and asked what I would do with the old ones when they finally showed up. Then she assured me that she was mailing payment overnight mail to arrive by a certain date and apoligized over and over that the checks had "gotten lost in the mail". When I still didn't have them and I called her she told me I would have to get payment from everyone myself because this would be the third time she had asked her guests for payment. This went on until she told me that I had her money in my mailbox and just refused to admit it. She then demanded to send her products back and just be done with the entire mess, which made me think - she didn't ask for a refund and she wanted to send her products back RATHER than pay me. I got payment from two of her guest the next day, they were mailed by her and they were the original checks the guests had given her and there was still one payment missing that she had never collected to begin with and told me I would have to do it. Then when I picked the products up from her she said "Sorry about this whole mess and me NOT BEING ABLE TO PAY" I was furious. Moral of my story - some people are dishonest, and it seems to be happening more and more lately.

...just caught up with this. IF I paid someone and they thought they lost a check, I'd be more than willing to print the signed copy that shows up in my account or show them a portion of statement that it cleared. Even if I did want my money back at that time, I'd prove I paid it.Sounds like she is trying to pull a fast one since she knows you don't have it and don't know where it went.If you deposited it wrong. Great, let her prove it, let HO refund her money and give her a Season's Best or something for the hassle.If she didn't give it to you - SHAME on her! If she threatens to report you (which brings up red flags to me too), I'd call her bluff and say, go ahead and then call HO, put the situation on file first so they know to deal with it.I am thankful to overall have some great customers, but every once in awhile we run into those who want to use others and get something for nothing.

Steph.... this whole situation just screams "wrong!" I tried my best to read through this..... may have missed a post or 2..... almost every bank has on line banking and almost every bank provided an option to see your deposited check. front and back.... this would not be hard for her to do..... I personally would get home office involved if she doesn't resolve it for you.... keep yourself protected.... they are here to help us too....
Good luck hun.... don't let this get to you too much and do not give her a refund or submit that show without payment....

janetupnorth said:
...just caught up with this.

IF I paid someone and they thought they lost a check, I'd be more than willing to print the signed copy that shows up in my account or show them a portion of statement that it cleared. Even if I did want my money back at that time, I'd prove I paid it.

Sounds like she is trying to pull a fast one since she knows you don't have it and don't know where it went.

If you deposited it wrong. Great, let her prove it, let HO refund her money and give her a Season's Best or something for the hassle.

If she didn't give it to you - SHAME on her! If she threatens to report you (which brings up red flags to me too), I'd call her bluff and say, go ahead and then call HO, put the situation on file first so they know to deal with it.

I am thankful to overall have some great customers, but every once in awhile we run into those who want to use others and get something for nothing.

I never ordered her products w/ the show because I wasn't sure if she paid..I had enough in orders that I could leave hers off and the host wouldn't lose her benefits. If there was proof she paid it I was just going to put it on another order and deliver it to her myself but since she wants a refund..whatever, that's fine, and I totally agree now that I am hearing from all of you that she should prove she paid for it.

When she started in on calling PC, I really didn't have much reaction except to tell her I guess it's her right to do that but I don't know what they could or would do since I am admitting I made a mistake and I'm trying to clear it up but I can't do it w/o her cooperation. She pretty much dropped the subject after that.

I'm going to wait until later this afternoon to call the bank to make sure everyone's back from lunch before I deal with this. Hopefully I did just make an error and deposit it with my other things but I just don't know. I have NEVER done anything like that before and I always double check my payments against what I have (that's how I knew I didn't have this person's money) and I don't remember there being an extra one with the group I put in the bank that day. If there was I would have removed it and put it w/t he right show. Oy vey! :eek:

I just read your post back to janet and I see you submitted the show because you had enough orders.... good! But don't give in to her.... make her prove that you deposited it.... if not call pc and let them help you then wash your hands of it.... we've all made mistakes and we are all just human.... we believe you've never done anything like this so forgive yourself and move on.... this is not worth beating yourself up over... 1 check in 5 years is not a big deal! and again you are only human.... i can guarantee by the witch this girl is being with you that she has messed up a lot in her life! most mean people have!

Hey Steph,
Did this all get resolved yet? Just wondering!

<h2>1. Did the host give me the missing payment?</h2><p>Based on the information provided, it is unclear whether or not the host gave you the missing payment. It is possible that the host did give you the check and it was misplaced or lost. However, it is also possible that the host did not give you the payment. Without further evidence or confirmation from the host, it is difficult to determine what happened to the missing payment.</p><h2>2. How should I handle the situation with the upset host?</h2><p>It is important to remain calm and professional when dealing with an upset host. Explain the situation to her and assure her that you are doing everything you can to resolve the issue. Offer to help her find a solution, such as submitting the order with a debit or credit card if she is able to provide one. It is also important to emphasize that you cannot cover the missing payment, but you are willing to work with her to find a resolution.</p><h2>3. Should I submit the show without the missing payment?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to submit a show without all of the payments accounted for. This could create confusion and potentially cause issues with the host's order and benefits. It is best to wait until the missing payment is resolved before submitting the show.</p><h2>4. What if the host does not have the guest's contact information?</h2><p>If the host does not have the guest's contact information, you can try reaching out to the guest through other means, such as social media or asking the host to ask the guest for their contact information. If all else fails, you may need to cancel the guest's order and explain the situation to the host.</p><h2>5. How should I handle this situation with a host I have never met before?</h2><p>It is important to approach the situation with professionalism and understanding. As a representative of Pampered Chef, it is important to maintain a positive and helpful attitude, even with a host you have never met before. If necessary, you can also reach out to your team leader or company support for guidance on how to handle the situation.</p>

1. Did the host give me the missing payment?

Based on the information provided, it is unclear whether or not the host gave you the missing payment. It is possible that the host did give you the check and it was misplaced or lost. However, it is also possible that the host did not give you the payment. Without further evidence or confirmation from the host, it is difficult to determine what happened to the missing payment.

2. How should I handle the situation with the upset host?

It is important to remain calm and professional when dealing with an upset host. Explain the situation to her and assure her that you are doing everything you can to resolve the issue. Offer to help her find a solution, such as submitting the order with a debit or credit card if she is able to provide one. It is also important to emphasize that you cannot cover the missing payment, but you are willing to work with her to find a resolution.

3. Should I submit the show without the missing payment?

No, it is not recommended to submit a show without all of the payments accounted for. This could create confusion and potentially cause issues with the host's order and benefits. It is best to wait until the missing payment is resolved before submitting the show.

4. What if the host does not have the guest's contact information?

If the host does not have the guest's contact information, you can try reaching out to the guest through other means, such as social media or asking the host to ask the guest for their contact information. If all else fails, you may need to cancel the guest's order and explain the situation to the host.

5. How should I handle this situation with a host I have never met before?

It is important to approach the situation with professionalism and understanding. As a representative of Pampered Chef, it is important to maintain a positive and helpful attitude, even with a host you have never met before. If necessary, you can also reach out to your team leader or company support for guidance on how to handle the situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kam
  • chefsteph07
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies