• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Maximizing Show Success: Tips for Using a Microwave Chip Maker

In summary, the majority of people seem to love the Micro Chip Maker, but there are some issues with it. Some people have had their microwaves overheat and catch on fire, while others have had problems with the product not cooking the chips properly.
DebPC
Staff member
Getting mine this week. Really want to use them at shows. On CS I read the thread about the fiascos. What's everyones experience with them at home and at shows? Any tips? Thanks!

I used mine without any issues. My kids LOVED it!! It was easy to use a bit time consuming since it only makes a small bit at a time. No fire and we made around 8 batches in succession. Reading the reviews on CS makes me nervous, but I liked it!

I read the reviews on QVC's site. I'm not on CS so I'm not sure what they are saying over there. Most of the negative reviews were about the slicer (which comes with it). The other complaint was the amount of paper towels used in the process. I still haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure but plan to sell the bamboo towel with it. Seems like a lot of the problem with the chips is they are not dry enough when going in so they turn out rubbery.

I love it for potatos(red, white, yukon gold), love it for sweet potatoes, but my apples were a disaster they were still soggy but starting to turn black, but I also didn't use one of the recommended kinds, so that might have been the issue.

I did the chips as a demo at our mega show yesterday and they worked great, people were amazed! My relationship with the simple slicer is still questionable, but totally faked it that you just had to have it at the show!

I had mixed results but regular potatoes worked the best. One of my consultants demoed it at my house at the meeting. She did a potato and placed the slices on one piece of paper towel. Did not blot the top. Did not change out that piece of paper toweling. Seasoned them with various rubs and seasonings. Cooked single layers for 2 1/2 minutes and every chip turned out perfect. Even though I used the same settings on the simple slicer hers seemed thinner and mine took more time - in.the.same.microwave. Go figure! She hadn't tried apples (mine came out rubbery) and we didn't have one. She used the slicer without the protective food holder so I think she controlled the slices better than I did with it but I will not be advising that to customers!

Besides for the apples, I have not had a bad batch yet!! It is an Awesome product & with the slicing, I find on setting #1 if you don't press hard they come out too thin. I have used Russet & Red Skinned potatoes & Sweet Potatoes & they ALL come out Great! I did carrots for a treat for my dog ;), he Loved them. I only problem I have is with the apples & I have tried quite a few different kinds & its all the same :grumpy:
BUT its an Awesome product & I know I will sell tons of them! Sold 2 sets to my hair dresser the other day!! :woohoo:

finley1991 said:
I read the reviews on QVC's site. I'm not on CS so I'm not sure what they are saying over there. Most of the negative reviews were about the slicer (which comes with it). The other complaint was the amount of paper towels used in the process. I still haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure but plan to sell the bamboo towel with it. Seems like a lot of the problem with the chips is they are not dry enough when going in so they turn out rubbery.

Colleen, one consultant's microwave caught on fire while using the Micro Chip Maker. She currently has a claim filed to get a new one. A couple more said it overheated their microwave causing it to shut down. Several are saying that the interior walls of the microwave got so hot that they stopped (like hotter than 30 min's with the DCB in there, hot). Many are concerned about the customers and/or children trying to use the product unsupervised. :(

Used it for potatoes (russets): salt and pepper, bbq, chile lime, citrus basil, parmesan--all were awesome. Also did sweet potatoes, no problem. I plan on making up a batch of sweet potato chips and taking them to shows to pass around to talk about it. We love it.

My microwave did them in 3:30. Otherwise they were chewy, not crunchy. And let you MV cool off for 5 min with the door open about every 6/7th batch. I do one at a time, not stacked.

I was one of the ones whose microwave overheated and it ruined it, we had to go buy a new one, but I don't know for sure that it was the chip maker, it did get REALLY hot. I am not concerned at all about the chip maker, I will just be cautious when using it in other peoples microwaves at shows. My new microwave seems to be doing fine, but it does take longer than 3 1/2 minutes. One thing I found out and never knew is the original use and care said that the times were based on a 1200 watt microwave, but over the range microwaves(which is what we have) only go up to 1100 and most are 1000. Since they are more expensive I always assumed that they were at least as powerful!

Thanks everyone! Great feedback! Mine arrives today.Has anyone had success with the apple slices?

Happy Chef said:
Thanks everyone! Great feedback! Mine arrives today.Has anyone had success with the apple slices?

We made awesome apple chips with ours. BUT you have to watch them really closely towards the end, because once they start to brown just a little, they go from browned to BURNT quickly (within seconds.) We used the One setting on the simple slicer, and Gala Apples. I sliced them, and laid them out on paper towel, and then in a couple minutes, I patted them dry on top with another paper towel.

Ours were crunchy and super sweet. I made a batch for my son and myself, and then made a couple batches for my Host Appreciation Party.

Chefbeckyd said:
We made awesome apple chips with ours. BUT you have to watch them really closely towards the end, because once they start to brown just a little, they go from browned to BURNT quickly (within seconds.) We used the One setting on the simple slicer, and Gala Apples. I sliced them, and laid them out on paper towel, and then in a couple minutes, I patted them dry on top with another paper towel.

Ours were crunchy and super sweet. I made a batch for my son and myself, and then made a couple batches for my Host Appreciation Party.

Did you slice the whole apple, or did you core it, with or without skin? TIA

With my new microwave I was finally able to get crispy apple chips. I did not core or peel the apple, you are slicing them so thin it doesn't matter. Like Becky said you do need to watch them very carefully and I found you almost have to let them cool to taste crispy.

Tried mine for the first time yesterday. Worked well. y favorite was just salt, but the BBQ ones were good too. Put the ones I didn't eat in a baggie for my husband to try this morning and they lost their crispness. I was hoping to do some ahead to take to my shows this weekend. Hmmm... Has anyone stored them successfully for a day or two? Going to try the sweet potato ones today.
Thanks!

Have had the worst luck with apples. Setting one on the slicer is too thin for them--they turn into paper. If I use setting two, they are too chewy. Also, the apples burn REALLY easy.Everyone LOVES the regular potato chips, so I think I'll just keep doing those at shows.

I FINALLY tried out the chip maker today. Sorry to report that I'm just not feeling the love for it. Seems like a lot of work for some mediocre chips to me. And my microwave got really hot! Hubby says he'd rather have a bag of lays. I tried white potatoes and sweet potatoes.

...and my house stinks now too :yuck:

Sorry Linda!I had a good friend who wanted to order it. I told her I was leery about this one product & why. She decided to wait a while & see what happens. I told her I've never had concerns over a PC product until this one & she trusted my instincts. She'd rather wait & see than to deal with a broken microwave. ;)

I guess because my microwave is the worst for trying these in (no turn table), I seem to have mastered them at all of my parties. I have sold 22 so far and 25 Simple Slicers. You do have to adjust to each microwave. I had one microwave that had a turntable but it was best to do one tray at a time. I know I will sell at least one more chip maker when a host closes her party because she loved the sweet potato chips.

Guests love the taste (I just put sea salt on them). I am seriously thinking about purchasing a microwave that is not 20 years old because I have had such good luck with them and we love them.

I did try apples the other day at a party and put Sweet Carmel or Cinnamon sprinkles on but it did not work. The sugar burnt before the chips could get cooked. Usually I bring a medium sized potato, make 1/2 into chips so everyone gets a taste, then put the other half in the MFP if it is not part of the recipe I am making.

I do this at every show and I love it! The only thing that didn't work for me was apples. I do just plain salt. I tried doing a rub but no one ever bought any rubs and it was a bit more of a pain. I don't even use one papertowel....I slice them onto the cutting board and move them right to the trays and put a bit of salt on them. My favourite seasoning was Indian Mild Curry with a bit of salt.

No papertowel? Wow, I will have to try that. Do you find that if you do a few batches that the microwave gets wet on the inside making it more difficult to get them crisp?

I love making these and I have sold a lot of simple slicers and chip makers. I usually make the chips ahead of time and just pass them around the party. In between batches of potatoes I leave the microwave door open so it cools off and airs out. I have not had any problem making them. I did try the tortilla chips (not recommended by HO) and I could not get them to work. They burned. The best results I had were with potatoes and Sweet Potatoes.

baychef said:
No papertowel? Wow, I will have to try that. Do you find that if you do a few batches that the microwave gets wet on the inside making it more difficult to get them crisp?

No I've had no problems with that...and we did like 30 batches one night during a trade show. The last batch was just as good as the first.

cookingwithlove said:
I did try the tortilla chips (not recommended by HO) and I could not get them to work. They burned.

The PIG says Tortilla Chips are okay... :confused:

I have done the cinnamon and sugar tortilla chips on mine for the apple berry salsa and they turned out awesome. started at 2 min in my microwave and checked frequently until crispy.

I LOVE the Chip Maker!!!! I have sold so many of them and also the Simple Slicers or Mandolines... My hostess last night only wanted to make chips, but I talked her into also fajitas in the DCB.

1. How does the Microwave Chip Maker work?

The Microwave Chip Maker is a silicone tray that allows you to make crispy, homemade chips in your microwave. Simply slice your desired vegetable (such as potatoes or sweet potatoes) into thin, even slices and place them on the tray. Microwave for a few minutes and you'll have perfectly cooked and crispy chips!

2. Is the Microwave Chip Maker easy to clean?

Yes, the Microwave Chip Maker is made of silicone which is non-stick and easy to clean. Simply wash it with warm, soapy water or place it in the dishwasher for hassle-free cleaning.

3. Can I make chips with different seasonings using the Microwave Chip Maker?

Absolutely! The Microwave Chip Maker allows you to customize your chips with your favorite seasonings. Simply sprinkle your desired seasonings on the sliced vegetables before microwaving for added flavor.

4. Can I use the Microwave Chip Maker for other foods besides chips?

While the Microwave Chip Maker is primarily designed for making chips, it can also be used to cook other foods such as bacon, pizza, and even cookies. The possibilities are endless!

5. Is the Microwave Chip Maker safe to use in the microwave?

Yes, the Microwave Chip Maker is safe to use in the microwave. It is made of BPA-free silicone and can withstand high temperatures. However, it is important to follow the instructions for cooking time and power level to prevent any accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • PamperedK
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Malinda Klein
  • Jennie50