• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Meet Our Gifted Dog: A Story of 23 Hershey's Kisses, Furniture Moving & More!

In summary, our dog ate 23 Hershey's Kisses and our older dog found the evidence. Our dog was smart enough to spell "walk" and "drive" which is how we knew it was 23.
chefmeg
Gold Member
Last year, my parents kept the kids so we could go to a wedding. When we came home, our older dog was sick~he had eaten 23 Hershey's Kisses...how do we know it was 23? Because he unwrapped them first..really!
Well, we thought that was pretty impressive...until....
DH noticed the bean bag that this dog lays on in the den was moved over a vent. We asked each child if they moved it; each answered no. When DH picked the bean bag up to move it to it's normal spot, there was poop under there! The dog drug his bean bag over there to cover up the poop!
This is the Lakeland Terrier we inherited when my in-laws passed away! He is 13 and all he does is sleep, eat and apparently, move furniture!

Our golden retriever use to pull the stuffing our of his dog bed and pile it in a nice neat, pile and move his dog bed on top of it. We didn't realize that he was doing this till we moved it to clean the floor. One smart puppy

Be careful w/ the chocolate around dogs, it is toxic to them, you are lucky he didn't get really sick from that.

That is too funny! Dogs amaze me sometimes with how intelligent they can be. My mini schnauzer hasn't really done anything smart or funny like that, but she's not stupid....she sure knows when she's done something wrong, like pee on my carpet! :eek: That's a whole other thread, though. :rolleyes:

I had one dog who would carry his water pail (ice cream bucket) to the outside faucet and turn it on to fill it. He just wouldn't shut it off though!!!!His brother would ring the doorbell when he wanted in...

LOL - too funny!

janetupnorth said:
I had one dog who would carry his water pail (ice cream bucket) to the outside faucet and turn it on to fill it. He just wouldn't shut it off though!!!!

His brother would ring the doorbell when he wanted in...

:eek: I am ROFLOL!!!

see, I knew there were other "gifted" K9's out there!

janetupnorth said:
I had one dog who would carry his water pail (ice cream bucket) to the outside faucet and turn it on to fill it. He just wouldn't shut it off though!!!!

His brother would ring the doorbell when he wanted in...

Our dog used to ring a bell to go out. She was so smart though! We used to spell around her, so she wouldn't know what we were saying...and then she figured out what we were spelling! (words like "walk", "drive", "Grandpa & Grandma")

ChefBeckyD said:
Our dog used to ring a bell to go out. She was so smart though! We used to spell around her, so she wouldn't know what we were saying...and then she figured out what we were spelling! (words like "walk", "drive", "Grandpa & Grandma")

Oh my first dog did that trick!

The one that rang the doorbell, we discovered it one day because we let the two out after a bad storm in the fenced in backyard. About 10 minutes later we get a call from the next door neighbor who was petrified of the dogs saying, "Come get your dog, he's at my door ringing my doorbell."

He'd go to the door, jump and hit the bell with his paw, then sit down and **** his head and wait for an answer. If you didn't respond in about a minute, he'd do it again!

I suspect he learned from me because about 2-3 weeks prior I got locked out of the house and rang the doorbell for my parents to let me in. He must have watched.

Luckily at that house we had to different bells. Front door was a ding-dong and back door was just a ding. If we heard 2 we knew it was a visitor, 1 the dogs just wanted back in.

My "spelling dog" was German Shepherd and Collie Mix, the water/bell dogs were German Shepherd and Husky mix. What was yours Becky?

janetupnorth said:
My "spelling dog" was German Shepherd and Collie Mix, the water/bell dogs were German Shepherd and Husky mix. What was yours Becky?

She was a Shih Tzu.:) Believe it or not, she was DH's baby! On our first date, I had to come to his house for "dog approval"!
It was love at first sight :love: (for me and the dog!) She was such a good little friend. Happy, friendly, gentle, playful......an absolute sweetheart. I'd grown up with big dogs, and hunting dogs, and always said I'd never want a little "frou frou" dog - but she changed my mind.
She lived to be 18, and we had to put her down a year ago last March. It was horrible! DH and I went together to the Vet with her. The Vet gave her the shot that was supposed to stop her heart, and it wouldn't stop beating. She gave her another, and she still wouldn't stop. She finally had to give her the "big dog" shot. Rick and I were both sobbing...and so was Dr. Sue (she had been her vet since Chelsie was a puppy). Dr. Sue laughed through her tears and said "Well, she always did think she was a big dog!"

We haven't gotten another dog yet. We will someday, but we just aren't ready yet. We still miss her all the time.

Aww...that is so sad...:cry:

my BIL had a German Shep that was incredibly smart...when BIL worked nights and my sister was home alone, Kazar (the dog) would lay outside blocking the front door until my sister would go to bed. Then she could hear him patrolling all around their house!

ChefBeckyD said:
She was a Shih Tzu.:) Believe it or not, she was DH's baby! On our first date, I had to come to his house for "dog approval"!
It was love at first sight :love: (for me and the dog!) She was such a good little friend. Happy, friendly, gentle, playful......an absolute sweetheart. I'd grown up with big dogs, and hunting dogs, and always said I'd never want a little "frou frou" dog - but she changed my mind.
She lived to be 18, and we had to put her down a year ago last March. It was horrible! DH and I went together to the Vet with her. The Vet gave her the shot that was supposed to stop her heart, and it wouldn't stop beating. She gave her another, and she still wouldn't stop. She finally had to give her the "big dog" shot. Rick and I were both sobbing...and so was Dr. Sue (she had been her vet since Chelsie was a puppy). Dr. Sue laughed through her tears and said "Well, she always did think she was a big dog!"

We haven't gotten another dog yet. We will someday, but we just aren't ready yet. We still miss her all the time.

Awwww, Becky!!!:cry:
this reminded me of my kitty that I got one month before I met DH....he hated any guy that came to my apartment until Brian walked thru the door! The kitty would fetch bottle caps! He thought he was a dog, I swear! He got feline urinary disorder and had to be put to sleep when he was only 7...I have never cried so hard!

My dog doesn't do anything fun like that but he will spit a treat back out if he doesn't like it. Every time we go to the vet they try to give him one of their treats but he will spit it out or now he will just turn his nose the other way.

We have a John Deere gator and he sits in the passenger seat like he is a human. If we are doing yard work and fertilizing or spreading seed I have to ride in the bed of the gator while my boyfriend drives and Maxx (the dog) sits in the seat. Talk about embarrassing when people drive by, especially the ones we know.

JoLynn

ChefBeckyD said:

Aww Becky that is so sad:cry: It's so sad when you lose a member of your family like that.

I can't even imagine going through with the one's I have now. My kitty passed about 2 years ago and she was 18. She just went and layed down and never woke up.:(

We also have to spell words:
walk
ball
snacks
dinner
car
vet
bath

rennea said:
We also have to spell words:
walk
ball
snacks
dinner
car
vet
bath

Not that my dog is the sharpest tool in the shed (he's a greyhound), but I worry that he'll learn to spell, so I mis-spell to the kids to see if they want to go for a WAKL :D

Ollie can open the garbage can and doors. He is a 2 1/2 yo Chocolate Lab.

I have had smart cats, but nothing comes to mind that is truly amazing that my dogs do- I'll have to give that some thought.

I guess Laney our female Golden (true name is Delaney) will bring mail to my DH if I put it in her mouth and tell her to go see Daddy. My dogs know who mommy is and who daddy is and they will go to the correct person when asked to do so.

Camilla Bean my wonder-brat, er...I mean wonder-cat fetches! I kid you not. If you throw a toy, she will go get it and bring it back.

We have to spell around our dogs as well. Although they are starting to learn the word RIVER. We have a long dog run in Saint Paul that goes through a very wooded area and ends up at the River (St. Criox, Minnesota River or the Mississippi, I cannot remember) anyway the DOGS love to go there- It's getting time to do that again soon. They love to swim and fetch balls in the water.

They know what walk, ride, car ride, and Dairy Queen means. And they also know the sound of me unwrapping a piece of welfare cheese (that's what I call those Kraft Singles) and they come running to get a piece. They also will come if I just holler out the back door the word Peanut Butter- that equates to "come" in their book!

Spirit will bark once when he wants to go out or come in. If the door is closed he will paw at it to come in or go out. Laney just sits there and yawns this high pitched yawn and that's how I know she needs to go out.

Laney has a barking problem, she barks too much and at everything or nothing. So we would always bring her in as soon as she started barking. Well one day we heard her barking but it sounded muffled. She had put a toy in her mouth and figured that if she did that, it wouldn't be as loud, and she'd be allowed to bark. Silly dog. So now she grabs a toy (she loves any type of stuffed animal) or a ball each time before she goes out to just sit in the yard or go potty so that if she barks, the toy will muffle the sound... goofball!

ChefBeckyD said:

When the time is right, make sure you do get another pet. They fill such a void! They are never the same, but they can bring such joy!

My family has always been made up of cat people. Toby was the smartest one...maybe because he went to school. Literally! My parents live next to an elementary school in CA...back when I was growing up, the doors on both sides of the classroom were left open on warm days b/c the rooms didn't have AC. I once was called out of class to retrieve the cat and take him home since he'd walked in and sat down for a lesson! Toby would also play soccer in the school yard with kids during recess. You would see him look both ways before crossing the street and he'd watch TV with the family. He got feline HIV from fighting and died around age 8 but he was the best cat ever!

Tucker (my avatar pic) isn't as smart as Toby was, but he sure is cute! Hallmark agrees, as this pic will be on the front of a card in stores next week!!! I'm so proud of my baby! (Toby belonged to my sister.) Hallmark had over 7000 entries for this competition and we made it! I'm begging everyone I know to vote daily for Tucker in the online competition at www.hallmark.com/you and would love your help! Becky, can you support a cat instead of a Shih Tzu (whose card is pretty funny, I must admit!)?

Last edited:
Pictures for Hallmark-I think one of these pictures would have made a great card.

The first one is of my late cat Gus. He had to be put to sleep due to severe complications from diabetis.

The second is of his brother, Weasel. Weasel had to be put to sleep about 16 months after Gus was laid to rest because Weasel was dying of a broken heart. Those two were very gifted, and could play simon says and I miss them EVERY day! Sorry in advanced- they are a little big

100_1497.jpg

100_1515.jpg

Ahhh! They are precious! Sorry to hear about your loss. We spent over $2500 in vet bills back in Dec. and Jan to save Tucker's brother Kalamazoo because he had urinary tract problems that, left untreated, would have poisoned him to death. I decided that Kal is my husband's cat, but agreed to the expense was b/c I was afraid of how Tucker would deal with the loss of Kal. DH told Kal he needed a job to help cover his expenses, then I found out about the contest. We entered them both, but Kal wasn't so attractive w/ his collar. I can't figure out how to insert it like you did (just getting prompt for web address), so I've attached it here.

Hallmark's grand prize includes a professional photo shoot at their headquarters, so at least take comfort that this wasn't the contest for you. They will be starting a new contest soon, though...

Now I really must walk away and clean...

Attachments

• Kal 2.JPG
    Kal 2.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
aPamperedBride said:
Ahhh! They are precious! Sorry to hear about your loss. We spent over $2500 in vet bills back in Dec. and Jan to save Tucker's brother Kalamazoo because he had urinary tract problems that, left untreated, would have poisoned him to death. I decided that Kal is my husband's cat, but agreed to the expense was b/c I was afraid of how Tucker would deal with the loss of Kal. DH told Kal he needed a job to help cover his expenses, then I found out about the contest. We entered them both, but Kal wasn't so attractive w/ his collar. I can't figure out how to insert it like you did (just getting prompt for web address), so I've attached it here.

Hallmark's grand prize includes a professional photo shoot at their headquarters, so at least take comfort that this wasn't the contest for you. They will be starting a new contest soon, though...

Now I really must walk away and clean...

Cute kitty! :) Very fancy collar, too. How do you find about about the contests?

Kal HATED the collar...he did his best to destroy it. We've kept the remains as a momento. He had to have it to keep from pulling out his stitches after surgery, but he was miserable in it!

I'm a Hallmark Gold Crown member, so I got an email. I'll let you know what the next contest is when it's announced and you can see if it's a fit for you.

aPamperedBride said:
Kal HATED the collar...he did his best to destroy it. We've kept the remains as a momento. He had to have it to keep from pulling out his stitches after surgery, but he was miserable in it!

I'm a Hallmark Gold Crown member, so I got an email. I'll let you know what the next contest is when it's announced and you can see if it's a fit for you.
I'm a charter hallmark gold crown member and I never got an email. I'm hurt- crushed, offended even. Kidding, I should call them and see why I am not getting emails.

Kitchen Diva said:
Thanks! I did just that! :) I entered 5 pictures. 1 of Gus, 1 of Weasel, 1 of Spirit, and 2 of Delaney!

Woah...slow down there! The official rules say "You may only submit one (1) photo per month for each of the ten (10) contest categories." It doesn't say what they do about the extra entries so you may want to try following up on that. Hopefully, they'll consider your first entry in each category this month and you can re-submit two photos next month, etc. I'm mentally lining up my photos to submit now through Dec! Good news is that I'm not competing against you in the Dog category!

aPamperedBride said:
Woah...slow down there! The official rules say "You may only submit one (1) photo per month for each of the ten (10) contest categories." It doesn't say what they do about the extra entries so you may want to try following up on that. Hopefully, they'll consider your first entry in each category this month and you can re-submit two photos next month, etc. I'm mentally lining up my photos to submit now through Dec! Good news is that I'm not competing against you in the Dog category!
I thought it said I could enter one photo per entry. I'm not worried, I didn't mail them photos just sent them via computer link. Oh well... maybe they'll be impressed with my proactiveness?

I'll check on the "official rules" later today. ;)

1. How did you know your dog ate 23 Hershey's Kisses?

We found out because he had unwrapped each one before eating them!

2. Did your dog get sick from eating 23 Hershey's Kisses?

Yes, unfortunately our dog did get sick from eating that many Hershey's Kisses. Chocolate can be toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other health issues.

3. How did your dog end up moving furniture?

When we came home, we noticed that our dog had moved his bean bag bed over a vent. We later found out that he did this to cover up his accident on the floor.

4. Why did your dog feel the need to cover up his accident?

Dogs have an instinct to cover up their waste in order to hide their scent and avoid attracting predators. Our dog was likely trying to do this by moving his bed over the accident.

5. How old is your dog and how did you come to have him?

Our dog is a 13-year-old Lakeland Terrier that we inherited from my in-laws when they passed away. He spends most of his days sleeping, eating, and apparently, moving furniture!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sk8rgrrl99