• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Match.com, Singlesnet.com, Etc - Your Thoughts!

In summary, online dating can be a successful way to find a partner if you take precautions and are honest with yourself about what you are looking for.
jenniferknapp
Gold Member
Not that I am going to run right out and do it, but I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on internet dating sites... have you or a friend done it? I have heard of a lot of successful stories of people finding their matches...but I'm a little sketchy about it!I am not looking for another political sort of thread, so if you think it is absolutely horrible, against morals, etc.... then please don't post...I am interested in hearing experienced opinions/thoughts!Thanks :)

A good friend met her DH through match.com.

I know 2 people who met and married someone they met at match.com. I'm planning on setting up my dad this fall when he is done building his new house.

My brother met his incredibly wonderful wife (She is also a great SIL) through Eharmony.com, and one of my very good friends also met her husband thru an online service - I forget which one.....but they just celebrated their 3rd anniversary - and seem to be just perfect for each other! I used to think it was sorta weird....but I've since seen it work well!

Here is my story! Just in case you want it!! :p

I met my dearest hubby online! It wasn't on a dating service though. One of my friends met his best friend and she met Wesley through his friend. One night I was im'ing her and she had Wesley IM me. We "talked" for 5 hours that night, and I knew that night that he was the one for me! Didn't even know what he looked like!! He lived in Georgia and I lived in Indiana. We took turns visiting for a couple of months, then he moved to Indiana for almost a year and then one day I said lets move to GA so we did 2 weeks later!!

There is a teacher that I work with, his daughter married someone from an online dating website. When Wesley and I met the online dating services were just starting, and people could not believe that we had met online, now its not as uncommon. I say go for it! But be careful!!

My ex-DH met his new wife on eHarmony.com. I was a bit freaked at first when he told me how they met - but he had background checked her completely before introducing her to the kids. Anyway - she is awesome. She is perfect for him, great with the kids, great with me & my husband - - we all simply adore her. SO...I say GO FOR IT!

I know 3 "Happy" couples who have met through on-line dating.
Go for it!
These days its the norm.

I met my DH on kiss.com, which was bought out by match.com. I was looking for someone to go to a movie with once and a while. My girlfriend kept pressuring me into checking out the dating sites. I was a single mom when we met and so I was quite impressed that someone would want to date me, especially since I had a child.

We met on August 1st and were engaged by the end of the month. We will be married for 4 years at the end of July and have two boys, three including my son from my first marriage.

I so go for it - That is how I met my hubby and he is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. O.K. - PC does drive him a little crazy but that is partly my fault. Be sure to follow the precautions of online dating. Talk a while via e-mail or on the phone before meeting - Trust your instincts. Only meeting in a public place with lots of people before going on a 'date'. Meet at Starbucks or something like that for your first meeting.
Hubby and I met on Yahoo.com He never met anyone else - I did and met a fe nice guys and a few losers.

My honest with yourself about what you are looking for and never settle for less than you deserve. I highly recommend the book 'He's just not that into you."

I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up - My hubby really is my perfect match. He contacted me through Yahoo Personals. Joined just so he could chat with me - He never posted a profile online. We met Feb 4 2005 after talking for a month. Said I love you on Feb 14th I have never said I love you too anyone in a relationship before (and I was 43) We were engaged by April 10th only waited that long because had to meet both set of parents (it was our rule) and his parents are near Oklahoma CIty and we are in Dallas. And we tied the knot on 11-12-2005 It never seem rushed it just always seemed right and still does!!!

Last edited:
Kathytnt said:
My honest with yourself about what you are looking for and never settle for less than you deserve. I highly recommend the book 'He's just not that into you."

I've read it! Very good book :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I might try it, I can preview the guys on match.com around here for free..and lots of "townies" ....so not sure if I will want to pay or not for that, seems like a lot of money!

A beautiful girl like you could meet lots of people so be very careful about who you meet. Have a good picture taken and hold firm to your beliefs and what you deserve from a person. You can't filter out all the undesireables on most matching groups.

Jennifer - I look forward to meeting you at conference

I have a lot of friend that use Match.com

Sometimes the different groups will let you have a discounted trial membership account. Also I would only join briefly 1-3 months and then drop out of a group for a while. When you rejoin you are a fresh face again.

Most of the people I met were with Match or Yahoo Cupid or Kiss.com are affliated with each other.

There is a new one that has been advertising heavily in TV but I can't remember the name

I lot a ton of weight and started dating for the first time at about 41. Most of the guys were pretty jaded already. Guys just don't seem to approach you for a date anymore. I got quite a few dates and met quite a few people by online dating and would have never met my hubby if I had not done online dating.

Once I started being more selective (after 40+ years of not dating I went on a spree) I found better people that were closer to what I was looking for.

Kat

Thanks for the info :) :) ...I might try the free ones first to get a feel for it.Even though it is becoming the norm, I guess I worry about having to tell people how we met in the future. Maybe that is because wayyyyy back when, when the internet was first coming around, a lady that I knew just up and left her entire family (oh, but brought their daughter with her) to Montana to live with her boyfriend that she met online... maybe that is why I don't feel 100% comfy with it?

Well you have to remember that different people have different values - Guess I am a bit old-fashioned but I think of marriage to one person for life. I don't understand the concept of dating while married or swinging or multiple marriage.
I know some people tell a different story about how they met - Like were they actually physically met not that they met online.
We even had lunch the day after the wedding with my hubby's family at the mall where we met for the first time.
I have never been shy about telling people how we met but some people are.

Jennifer when did you become a consultant? - I noticed this is your first conference too and our consultant numbers are not too far apart Mine is 475767

I became a consultant in August of last year ...you must have signed shortly before me! Almost one year :)

I was actually end of February with my first show April 1 Couldn't go to conference last year because my boss would let me take time off and my mom passed away on June 9th.

Part of the dating saga - Don't know your religious beliefs. I am more spiritual than religious but I think God brought David into my life at just the right time. My mom was diagnosed with cancer about a month after our wedding. That is when you really find out if you found Mr. Right. He was by my side the whole time even when she passed away he was there with us.

jenniferknapp said:
Thanks for the info :) :) ...I might try the free ones first to get a feel for it.

Even though it is becoming the norm, I guess I worry about having to tell people how we met in the future. Maybe that is because wayyyyy back when, when the internet was first coming around, a lady that I knew just up and left her entire family (oh, but brought their daughter with her) to Montana to live with her boyfriend that she met online... maybe that is why I don't feel 100% comfy with it?

I was nervous about telling people how my DH and I met. However, I always received a great reaction. Now, it is the norm.

Do what you feel is right.:)

Ive done match.com... I liked it.

We get a great reaction too - I found my perfect match and I am happy as can be with my wonderful hubby

You can find a wonderful person on an internet dating service.

My best friend did match.com. The first guy she met....not so great. But, she is getting married to a great guy in November that she met off there! Good luck to you if you decide to try it!

I'm doing match.com too and I like it. I just heard about a new one that is fast becoming popular. Its called plentyoffish.com It is one of the free sites out there.
Good Luck!!!:D

I meet my husband on Match. We have been married for 4 years`and have a beautiful 15 month old baby now. Go for it. Have fun!

I met my husband in a "Boston" AOL chat room!!! He was living in Colorado at the time. He moved back here for me!!! He actually went to the same High School as me and his mom lived in the same town. What are the chances you meet someone from your town but meet them on line living in CO??? Crazy how life happens!!!

My daughter (48) has met a really great guy through Eharmony.com. She took advantage of a free trial, and then subscribed for a few months. At one point Eharmony suggested expanding her base, to distance further than 50 miles, so they could include a match they had. They live several states away from one another but have been communicating more because of it, and it is working for them. We've met him, and are hoping for the very best outcome for them. They seem like a perfect match. We plan to spend another day with them over this weekend. We all had so much fun together, when we met in April. Can you believe, he even came to a Pampered Chef party I was doing for my daughter's friend?

Grandmarita said:
Can you believe, he even came to a Pampered Chef party I was doing for my daughter's friend?

Now THAT'S a great guy!!

I have three friends who have meet their spouses on dating sites... not sure which ones, but all are VERY happy!

Thanks everyone....next question!Do you talk to more than one guy at the same time? With this day and age I feel like you can't really "date around" without being labeled... And since I've never done that... what are some key pointers on dating a few guys at the same time?Thanks :)

There is a difference between talking to someone, meeting for coffee and dating someone. I say that if you are just chatting pre-meet go for it. Meet in a casual place like lunch or coffee to see if your hit it off in person.
Then go on a date if your like each other.

I didn't really care for dating too many people at one time but also when it seemed obvious that this was not someone that had long term potential I would let them know that I just didn't think it was going to work.

I then realized that the reason guys don't call sometimes when they say there are doing to call or they just fall off the face of the earth is if they don't want to see you anymore and you tell them that then you will try to convince them of why they are wrong. Not calling is easier. Everytime I told someone I didn't think it was going to work out they would try to figure out how to convince me to give them another chance.

I am of the opinion (mind you I am in my 40s) that if there are things in the other person that are just fundamentally unaceptable I amnot going to ask them to change. I think a guy feeling like he HAS to change for you will later resent you for it. I figured since I was dating in my early 40's that more of the guys were going to be somewhat set in thier ways anyway LOL!

SO have you taken the plunge yet??

Not on any paid dating site, but I met my DH on a yahoo chatroom. It was so odd... we soon found out that we knew the same people, his family were friends with my parents and we even played together when we were younger! Neither of us were looking to date anyone at the time but a year after our paths crossed online, we got married. :)

Whether you find your partner online, around the corner or through some random chance... it will be when you're not even looking. Good luck and best wishes! :)

I have been lurking on some free ones, and did sign up for match.com. I am not very adventurous when it comes to trying a long distance thing because i know i want to stay within an hour or so from my family. So, it seems like the guys are pretty limited. But, you never know!

jenniferknapp said:
I have been lurking on some free ones, and did sign up for match.com. I am not very adventurous when it comes to trying a long distance thing because i know i want to stay within an hour or so from my family. So, it seems like the guys are pretty limited. But, you never know!

Keep your options open - if you're worth it - which I'm SURE you are, they may want to come by you!

..this is true! ;)

Ok I have to chime in too. I met my Dh 9 years ago on AOL. Like everyone else has said, it used to be wierd to tell people that, but not so much anymore. I did date a couple of other guys first and met a few losers, but it worked for me! Good luck!

Jennifer, thanks for this thread... my friends were just suggesting to me that I try this, as I am not one to approach a guy and am usually pretty skeptical of anyone approaching me (I am a more become a friend, then date kind of girl). I have decided that once I raise my self-esteem I will try it out... my goal is by the end of the summer to have gone on 1 date with someone I didn't "know" before hand. Keep us updated as to how it goes, as I would love to get advice from someone who has gone through it. :)

Okay my turn to chime in... I met my DH 9 years ago at a church dance and then we lost contact.... fast forward to present day two years ago we reconnected on a singles site ( think it was mingle something) sorry can't remember the name..... it worked for us..... but be careful at the same time...... don't' just get hung up one guy, We did not realize until our honeymoon who one and another were... funny how things work out!!

I met my husband on 1999 playing an online game called EverQuest. We were friends for a long time there. His character was an evil menacing Shadow Knight and I was a cleric who kept him healed during battle. It was a lot of fun, especially because his real personality was soooo different from his character. He was sweet, shy, and thoughtful, playing this wicked thing...

We were both in terrible relationships at the time and gave each other the support we needed to get away from bad situations. We used each others shoulders to cry on to get through the rough parts and decided to have a fun weekend, just friends to celebrate what we went though. This was in September 2000. I got off the plane, he hugged me and started holding my hand and we haven't let go since. :)

So -- after WAY too much video game playing, HUGE phone bills (unlimited calling wasn't even an option back then), and many visits and plane tickets to see each other we knew we had to be together. He moved here in May 2001. We were married March 2003 and now have 2 beautiful babies and a perfect marriage.

We still play video games, by the way, but its so much better when we are snuggling on the couch together after the kids to to sleep when we do it. :)

jenniferknapp said:

It is hard doing the long distance thing, but if it is meant to be it will work! I lived in Indiana when I met Wesley (he was in Georgia). We took turns visiting and then he moved to Indiana for almost a year. It was good for both of us, because 1 we were together and our phone bills weren't as high and 2 it got him to grow up and take care of himself (he is/was a momma's boy!) We moved to Georgia, and have been married almost 6 years. I never imagined that I would have met and married someone so far away, but I truly believe that we are soulmates and if we didn't meet that way we would have met another way. I wish you the best of luck!!:D

HA. Interesting thread...

I actually met my wonderful husband on Yahoo conversations/messenger. They used to have this link under yahoo called "conversations", and you could type out a couple of sentences as a conversation starter, then others on messenger could chat with ya. My husband had started a conversation under the personals section in messenger, and I replied.

That will be 6 years ago this coming September 1st.

We IMed for a couple of hours that first night, then more the next night, then started calling on the phone, then I flew out to Denver from Kentucky about 6 weeks later, then he flew to Kentucky a month later, and on and on until we were married 9 months after we had "met" online.

And, we couldn't be happier...

So, I say go for it!!

I met my husband on Yahoo personals. We've been married almost 4 yrs. Before meeting my husband I met a great guy on match.com. He and I are still great friends. I recommend online dating - it worked for me because I had no where to meet anybody. Being a single mom. But, I recommend emailing first, talking on the phone for awhile before meeting. You can tell alot about someone's voice. When you do meet for the first time - met in a public place. Just be smart about your choices.Good Luck!

1. What is the success rate of internet dating sites like Match.com and Singlesnet.com?

The success rate of internet dating sites varies greatly and is difficult to measure. However, according to a 2019 study by Statistic Brain, 17% of couples who met online end up getting married.

2. How do these sites match people together?

These sites use algorithms and user-provided information, such as interests and preferences, to match people together. Some sites also offer compatibility tests and use that information to make matches.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using internet dating sites?

As with any online platform, there are potential safety concerns. It is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when meeting someone in person for the first time. Many sites also have safety features, such as the ability to block or report users.

4. Can you find serious relationships on these sites, or is it just for casual dating?

Many people have found successful and serious relationships through internet dating sites. However, there are also people who use these sites for casual dating. It is important to be clear about your intentions and communicate with potential matches to ensure you are on the same page.

5. Is it worth the cost to join these sites?

This ultimately depends on the individual's experience. Some people have found great success and believe it is worth the cost, while others may not have had as much luck. It is important to carefully consider the cost and do research on the site before joining.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • kam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
  • nikked