• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Incorporating My Disability into My Pampered Chef Story - Tips and Thoughts

In summary, the conversation revolves around incorporating one's disability into their Pampered Chef business and how to share it with potential recruits and guests at shows. The speaker shares that they have a disability that affects their left side, but they are still independent and don't let it stop them. They mention wanting to talk about their disability at shows to show that anyone can be successful with Pampered Chef and to highlight products that are helpful for one-handed use. They ask for advice on how to share their story and what to say in different situations. Other speakers offer suggestions and encourage them to share their story, as it can be inspiring and demonstrate the flexibility of Pampered Chef products. The conversation also touches on how to incorporate the disability into the intro and
kaceyleigh2
Ok so I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate this into "my intro" at shows. My left side is paralyzed-I have weakness in my leg but can walk (with a limp) but I can't use my left hand/arm at all. I am fairly independent and don't let it stop me. The thing is, I don't think about it much and sometimes forget that I do things differently than some people. I like to think that my disability is NOT that obvious-but if you're paying attention at all it's probably pretty obvious-especially when cooking. From experience (that goes back as far as Junior High) people wonder but are too afraid to ask.
So anyways, from the beginning I've sort of wanted to talk about it at my shows for a couple of reasons a) if I can cook/be a consultant with a disability anybody can and b) there are a lot of products that The Pampered Chef sells that are awesome for one-handed use! My mom bought me the Salt and Pepper Mill a long time ago b/c the traditional twisty ones are not easy for one handers. Anyways...I will be talking and go to talk about a certain product that is helpful to me and will say I love this...it easy for me to use..."but then realize that I'm not with family or friends and the probably don't know about my disability, so then I add kind of an afterthought like-"oh by the way" I usually end up with blank stares...:eek:
Anyways, do you guys have any thoughts (I KNOW you do:D ) on what to say, when to say it?
Do you all share anything about yourself other than your Pampered Chef story? What would you guys say in this situation?

I have a lot of shows this summer with people I haven't met and don't want to confuse people...or as my mom says intimidate them!
Thanks!

YOU ROCK!!
You are such an inspiration, can I copy your post and share with some of my potential recruits who feel that they have limited physical abilitities?!!?!? I think you just need to share your story like the rest of us of why you joined PC and just go with it. You've got confidence and that is what will draw people to you! Will they be amazed, absolutely, but for all the right reasons!!:D :D

I'm not good with the "story" and intro..... but I would definitely say something like "One of the reasons I love The Pampered Chef business is that it is flexible enough for someone like me to be successful. I was drawn to the products The Pampered Chef has to offer because so many are easy for me to use, with the use of just one hand"

ya know.... something like that, I guess??

amy07 said:
YOU ROCK!!
You are such an inspiration, can I copy your post and share with some of my potential recruits who feel that they have limited physical abilitities?!!?!? I think you just need to share your story like the rest of us of why you joined PC and just go with it. You've got confidence and that is what will draw people to you! Will they be amazed, absolutely, but for all the right reasons!!:D :D

Thanks! Share away!

Part of your story should be WHY you love PC, and you said it perfectly! "I have a disability that causes ______. I love the PC products because I can use them and it makes my life easier. Imagine how it could make life easier for people who can fully use both hands!"

I agree with Celeste & Kate. Definitely mention it at the beginning--just work it into your "story".

One of your questions was when to share. I generally share my story right after the guests introduce themselves. I say, "Now that I know a little about you, I'd like to share a bit about myself." For me, it's a natural place to share.

raebates said:
One of your questions was when to share. I generally share my story right after the guests introduce themselves. I say, "Now that I know a little about you, I'd like to share a bit about myself." For me, it's a natural place to share.

I like your wording! I usually do introduce myself right after and tell everybody the reason I started with TPC was so I could stay home with my son and show a picture of him so everyone can see how cute he is :D then it's all a blur (I posted a thread about my nerves at Kitchen Shows earlier this week)

I thinking sharing is wonderful. Could you give me a few more ideas of products that are easy for you to use with one hand, my mom had a stroke a few years ago and has trouble with her right hand doing things. I would love to be able to share some with her.

kaceyleigh2 said:
I like your wording! I usually do introduce myself right after and tell everybody the reason I started with TPC was so I could stay home with my son and show a picture of him so everyone can see how cute he is :D then it's all a blur (I posted a thread about my nerves at Kitchen Shows earlier this week)

Start with what you already have and then add a part about loving PC products because ANYONE can use them.

Chef Ritz said:
I thinking sharing is wonderful. Could you give me a few more ideas of products that are easy for you to use with one hand, my mom had a stroke a few years ago and has trouble with her right hand doing things. I would love to be able to share some with her.

Salt & Pepper Mill is my fav,
Baker's Roller,
Ultimate Mandoline (when I can figure out how to put it together)
Jar Opener (I don't have one, but would be good mounted under a cabinet)
The Egg Separator (I don't have one but I like how it can be attached to the bowl)
The cutting boards with the grips around it holds it in place, which helps b/c you don't need that extra hand to hold the cutting board in place.

I actually use the green mat thingy that came with the old cutting board under my Batter Bowl when I'm mixing things-keeps in from spinning!

I have found that the Forged Knives have helped me tremendously with cutting veggies, etc. I first tried the Santoku at my cluster meeting and cut a pepper with one hand and it was so easy!

The Stainless Steel bowls with the grips on the bottom helps with the spinning.

I have even found that the Exec. Cookware is easier b/c the pots and pans are so heavy that they don't move as much on the stovetop.

Oh, I like the Adjustable measuring spoons b/c they lay flat on the countertop if I need to add like extract or something...the Easy Read Adjustable is actually even easier-but I find I don't use that one as much...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but I have found that there are only 2 things that I cannot use-the Smooth Edge Can Opener and The Deluxe Cheese Grater.

If you're mom needs any more one-handed tips/tricks let me know I've been "practicing" for almost 15 years!

kaceyleigh2 said:
Salt & Pepper Mill is my fav,
Baker's Roller,
Ultimate Mandoline (when I can figure out how to put it together)
Jar Opener (I don't have one, but would be good mounted under a cabinet)
The Egg Separator (I don't have one but I like how it can be attached to the bowl)
The cutting boards with the grips around it holds it in place, which helps b/c you don't need that extra hand to hold the cutting board in place.

I actually use the green mat thingy that came with the old cutting board under my Batter Bowl when I'm mixing things-keeps in from spinning!

I have found that the Forged Knives have helped me tremendously with cutting veggies, etc. I first tried the Santoku at my cluster meeting and cut a pepper with one hand and it was so easy!

The Stainless Steel bowls with the grips on the bottom helps with the spinning.

I have even found that the Exec. Cookware is easier b/c the pots and pans are so heavy that they don't move as much on the stovetop.

Oh, I like the Adjustable measuring spoons b/c they lay flat on the countertop if I need to add like extract or something...the Easy Read Adjustable is actually even easier-but I find I don't use that one as much...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but I have found that there are only 2 things that I cannot use-the Smooth Edge Can Opener and The Deluxe Cheese Grater.

If you're mom needs any more one-handed tips/tricks let me know I've been "practicing" for almost 15 years!

Your tips/suggestions are wonderful - even for those of us who do have use of both arms -

What accommodations can I request from Pampered Chef to assist me in my job?

Pampered Chef values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. Some common accommodations may include assistive technology, flexible work schedules, modified job duties, and physical workplace modifications. You can discuss your specific needs with your manager or the HR department to determine the best accommodations for you.

How can I effectively communicate my disability to my coworkers and customers?

It is ultimately up to you to decide if and how you want to disclose your disability to others. However, it is important to remember that open and honest communication can help create a more inclusive and understanding work environment. Consider having a conversation with your coworkers and customers to educate them about your disability, your capabilities, and any accommodations you may need to perform your job effectively.

What resources does Pampered Chef offer for employees with disabilities?

Pampered Chef has a variety of resources available to support employees with disabilities. This may include employee resource groups, disability awareness training, and a dedicated HR team to assist with accommodations and any other needs. Additionally, Pampered Chef is committed to continuously improving accessibility in the workplace and welcomes feedback and suggestions from employees.

How can I use my disability to enhance my Pampered Chef story?

Your disability is a unique part of your identity and can bring valuable perspectives and experiences to your role at Pampered Chef. Consider how your disability has shaped you and your approach to work, and share these insights with your team and customers. You can also use your story to inspire and connect with others, creating a more inclusive and diverse community within the company.

What should I do if I face discrimination or harassment based on my disability at Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination and harassment of any kind. If you experience any form of discrimination or harassment based on your disability, it is important to report it immediately to your manager, HR, or a designated ethics hotline. Pampered Chef is committed to addressing and resolving these issues promptly and ensuring a safe and inclusive work environment for all employees.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Marilyn Taylor
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies