• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rudeness at its Finest: How Pampered Chef Came Into the Picture

In summary, the conversation involved the speaker's experience at a friend's house where she was hosting a show for her friend. Some of the guests were enthusiastic about the Pampered Chef products, but one guest made a rude comment about the prices being too expensive. The speaker and her partner defended the quality and value of the products, and shared their frustration with negative people at their shows. They also discussed strategies for handling negative guests and how to highlight the affordable products in the catalog.
leftymac
I was at a friend's house last night who will be hosting a show for me in April. He was telling his friend's about it, mentioning how I sell it, etc, and many of them were enthusiastic about PC. And then one says "Pampered Chef? That's so expensive!" Then my partner goes on about how you pay for quality, etc. THEN, she turns to my friend and actually says to him, "You don't want to have a Pampered Chef party!". I mean, how rude. I'm right there, I'm doing the show for him. Some people have no manners at all.

And to think, I used to like this girl. Now I can't stand her. :)

That is just rude. Negative people really irk me. I mean, even if you have a negative opinion, you don't start ranting about it in a group that includes the consultant and the host.

I actually had a party last week with a guest like that. She drove me crazy, letting everyone know all through the demo what she uses in place of all of the PC items I was demoing, and they "all work just fine". :grumpy:

Keith...did you see the % in this thread?
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/great-news-product-value-59647/78% of our products in the Spring catalog are UNDER $30...and you get your money's worth for sure! Knowing that info, is very helpful when people make ignorant comments.and yes...that was rather rude on that lady's part. People just don't GET it. That's like telling a mom to her face that she has a really ugly baby! You just don't do that! *sorry- that was the best analogy I could come up with!*

esavvymom said:
Keith...did you see the % in this thread?
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f8/great-news-product-value-59647/

78% of our products in the Spring catalog are UNDER $30...and you get your money's worth for sure! Knowing that info, is very helpful when people make ignorant comments.

and yes...that was rather rude on that lady's part. People just don't GET it.

Yeah, I've seen that. I just didn't want to dignify her with a response because she pissed me off. At a show, I would talk about that for sure. I just didn't want to turn it into some type of debate at what was meant to be a social gathering amongst friends. But, kudos to my partner for running to PC's defense!

Frustrating! I had a guest like that a few weeks ago - everything was so negative that I just wanted to say "why are you here???" I walked into the kitchen at one point, to take a breath & move on! I don't need to let her own cr*p weigh me down ... :) 99.9% of people at shows love the stuff & are eager to buy! :)

At shows I've also talked about how yes, many products you can buy for cheap at Target or Walmart, but when you don't know how to use it or have a question about the product, Walmart and Target can't help you. Then I tell them a quick story about a customer I helped.

I try to emphasize the personal service aspect. I can always connect it back to my retail days when customers would buy an item for cheap at Walmart and then bring it to our store asking us to teach them how to use it. And you know what? We WOULD, because it was the customer service that was going to keep bringing them in and get them to refer their friends to our store.

leftymac said:
And to think, I used to like this girl. Now I can't stand her. :)

ROFL. She was probably feeling pissy and taking cheap shots. Definite kudos to your partner for trying to defend. Maybe next time he can mention that those who find it too pricey can host a show and save some $$. He He

We've all had those negative gripers at our show. I used to panic, but now enjoy making them converts...yes, I highlight that most items are $20 or less, and that the sticker shock they have is because they're only thinking of our cookware and forged cutlery. Gives me an opp to then go into the features, benefits,and warranty. I make sure to thank them personally for the opportunity to focus on the 2 collections..... I like to kill them with kindness....usually ends up making them look foolish, and they;re the ones who end up ordering $100 or more! Muah ha ha

cookingwithdot said:
Frustrating! I had a guest like that a few weeks ago - everything was so negative that I just wanted to say "why are you here???" I walked into the kitchen at one point, to take a breath & move on! I don't need to let her own cr*p weigh me down ... :) 99.9% of people at shows love the stuff & are eager to buy! :)

I don't understand why people like this even bother coming to parties! You know you don't want anything, you bring everyone else down...ugghh!!! Some people are so rude!

I think people like this just want to stir up trouble! Either that or they're jealous because they don't think they could have a successful business like you have created! :) That's awesome that your partner stuck up for PC and you. It's always great to have someone supportive with you in cases like that.

I can TOTALLY relate to this, Keith. I have this problem a lot.....most of my customers are in the same "circle of friends." That's why I am trying desparately to expand my customer base. I had one lady come to 2 shows and complain about how she bought the medium pizza stone for $26.50 and then saw the same one in Wal-Mart for $10 with a stand. She then went into how she thinks all PC stuff is overpriced. I have had 4 cancellations this month because of her ranting and raving at the last party they attended.

tys1031 said:
I can TOTALLY relate to this, Keith. I have this problem a lot.....most of my customers are in the same "circle of friends." That's why I am trying desparately to expand my customer base. I had one lady come to 2 shows and complain about how she bought the medium pizza stone for $26.50 and then saw the same one in Wal-Mart for $10 with a stand. She then went into how she thinks all PC stuff is overpriced. I have had 4 cancellations this month because of her ranting and raving at the last party they attended.

It was not the same one! Does she know where that one was made? Does she know if there's lead in it? What's the warranty and how hard is it to use? There are a lot of things that make our stoneware superior.

For pete's sake. You do get what you pay for. Some things work as well as ours but they don't hold up and they don't have the company and consultant to back it up and add value (recipes, etc).

Great points Beth. Plus, will Walmart replace hers if it happens to break? For the next 3 years?

Also, point out that you'll be happy to return her stone and get her a refund. The Pampered Chef is so intent and good about customer satisfaction that they'll allow her to use her products and return it for a WHOLE year! Walmart won't. ;)

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Great points Beth. Plus, will Walmart replace hers if it happens to break? For the next 3 years?

Also, point out that you'll be happy to return her stone and get her a refund. The Pampered Chef is so intent and good about customer satisfaction that they'll allow her to use her products and return it for a WHOLE year! Walmart won't. ;)

I did offer to return it and she ignored me!

BethCooks4U said:
It was not the same one! Does she know where that one was made? Does she know if there's lead in it? What's the warranty and how hard is it to use? There are a lot of things that make our stoneware superior.

For pete's sake. You do get what you pay for. Some things work as well as ours but they don't hold up and they don't have the company and consultant to back it up and add value (recipes, etc).

These are good points....I will definitely use them if this happens again. Thanks, Beth!

I won't even buy some FOOD items at Walmart because I've seen the shows that talk about the "bullying" they do to the companies to get cheaper product prices....the product quality suffers. (I.e- Organic Milk at Walmart isn't so organic...or not like I can get elsewhere!) I'd rather pay a few dollars more for quality than be repeatedly buying crap every year! And if she tries to cook on Walmart Stone (or any of those knock-offs) she'll notice the difference IMMEDIATELY. They don't cook on the bottom. I made pizza on one my mom had. It wouldn't cook the bottom of the crust. I think for one, I had to cook one side of the crust (no toppings on it yet since I was prebaking it)- then I had to FLIP IT OVER to get it to cook the rest! Only the top was cooking. I finally bought her a REAL stone...which of course she doesn't use (old-style cook and is afraid of them). But their then when I go to her house. :)Unfortuatnely, there will ALWAYS be a Negative-Nelly to deal with. Trick is coming up with a snappy comeback that doesn't make YOU look bad. :) It's like someone said...fortunately, most people who come to a PC party KNOW the value they are getting.

tys1031 said:

Because she secretly LOVES her stone, just not the price.

We can't all be Walmart (cheap cheap price/quality) or Amazon (free shipping!)
Some of us are more like Target, Kohl's, or Bed Bath Beyond.

tys1031 said:

Then you have done your best. She ignores you because you will then leave her with nothing to complain about. She probably likes the attention she gets, and knowing she's irking you. Bless and Release.

You can also point out that she must like PC cause she keeps coming to your shows. ;)

Bobbi is right, she loves it.

My roomate has ALWAYS been like this. Part of it is the way we've always interacted. The day my new consultant kit came, I got an e-mail that said something like, "Your overpriced, low-quality Pampered Chef box arrived." I hear BS all the time about how "the stones cost $50" even after I point out that there is only one stone in the whole catalog that costs more than that. And of course, I never hear the end of it when I process a return.

However, said Roomie has kinda turned into a non-hater ... would be lost without the chopper, the spices and the knifes and cutting boards. Actually considered doing a show at one point. But coming from the PL "free kit" culture, doesn't get why we have to pay for our kit. I explained that the PL kit is not free ... because your commission for your first show pays for the kit.

As I read through this a person I dealt with last November came to mind. I met her while picking up Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses. We got talking. She told me she's always thought of PC as overpriced stuff for snobby yuppies. I explained the difference between what she saw in stores and what PC offers. After many calls and a 3-hour, 45-minute meeting at her house, she is now a staunch convert. I talked with her last week about the things she'd gotten from her own $800+ show. She raved about every one of them.

1. What is "Rudeness at its Finest: How Pampered Chef Came Into the Picture"?

"Rudeness at its Finest" is a book written by Doris Christopher, the founder of Pampered Chef. It tells the story of how she started the company and the challenges she faced along the way.

2. Is the book only for those in the direct sales industry?

No, the book is not just for those in the direct sales industry. It is a memoir that shares the personal journey of Doris Christopher and how she turned her passion for cooking into a successful business. It is an inspiring read for anyone interested in entrepreneurship and business success.

3. Can I purchase the book through Pampered Chef?

Yes, the book is available for purchase through the Pampered Chef website. You can also find it on major online retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

4. Will reading this book help me improve my Pampered Chef business?

While the book is not a step-by-step guide on how to run a Pampered Chef business, it does offer valuable insights and lessons from the founder herself. You may find inspiration and new ideas that can help you grow your business.

5. Are there any other resources for learning about the history of Pampered Chef?

Yes, in addition to "Rudeness at its Finest," Pampered Chef also has a podcast called "The Food for Thought Podcast." It features interviews with the company's leaders, past and present, as well as other experts in the field of direct sales and entrepreneurship. Additionally, there are articles and videos on the Pampered Chef website that share the company's history and milestones.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Andrea Gavin
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies