• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an outside person leading a major PC web upgrade project, and the potential issues that may arise due to their lack of experience in the specific industry. It also mentions the importance of communication and bringing up potential issues to higher-ups in order to avoid major problems later on. The conversation ends with a reference to a humorous tech support video and a compliment to the person for being diligent in their coding.
kam
Staff member
First, let me say I HAVE NO IDEA about the details of the PC web upgrade.
BUT, here are my thoughts on projects of this scope.

I have been with my company for 17 years. I have seen many MAJOR projects either outsourced, have major components outsourced, or a project leader from OUTSIDE hired to run the project (or a combo of all 3). (None of these would know our industry/workflow.)

PC may have hired an outside person to lead this project. That person may have led many similar projects successfully at other types of companies. But, they may not know this industry. They almost certainly would have had to either hire additional tech staff or outsource. Many of these folks may never have ever been involved with the set up P3 and may not know what we need. I don't know this, I am just offering this as a possibility.

I can't tell you how many times at work I have overheard gripes from people about how things were set up and when you realize which people were making the decisions, you would know why it did not make sense or why things didn't follow our workflow.

I work in the IS department of our company. I have a background in this industry and have worked in other depts before ending up in IS. Keep in mind that many IS people at many companies KNOW THEIR job, but aren't necessarily familiar with that particular industry.

I am a very small part of a MAJOR project at our company right now. I am creating web forms for customers to fill out. Here is an example: I have been provided with a list of fields and specs (& restrictions) for these forms. One of the fields had been described to me as numeric only. AS A PROGRAMMER, I should have just kept my mouth shut & coded that restriction, EXCEPT, from my experience in this industry, I know that this particular field can contain letters also! (I can name at least 2 other programmers in my dept who would NOT have known that.)

The 2 people "running" this have no experience in our industry. Both have been with our company less than a year.

If I were just another programmer, I would have done what they said. Instead, I flagged it. I can't tell you how many things have gone by like this and I am SO tempted to say "well, this is what you told me to do". But, I usually bring it to someone's attention.

BUT IN THE END...it is REALLY important to email issues to HO. It could be that many of these items are true bugs, but it could also be that the people in charge of this really did not realize some of the "specifics" and requirements of what we do.

Also, keep in mind the tech folks. Many of them are provided exact specs of what needed to be done and they could have gotten all that right only to start hearing from us that things do not follow that spec. It can be EXTREMELY frustrating to have worked very hard at creating something only to have to go back and REWORK it!

For example, they could have been told that everyone will have an email and based EVERYTHING on that very simple fact. To go back now and not require an email could be too major of an overhaul and nearly impossible to "undo". (Maybe that's why they are giving us the "fake" email to use.)

Just guessing at all of this, but in the end, I am SURE the way things have gone with the upgrade was not HO's intention. It is frustrating to us...but it has got to be panicking them!

Just my 2 cents!

I take it you're a fan of Foamy, the Squirrel? I thought of the Tech Support episode when I read your message. (If you want to see it, do a google search but be warned - Foamy says the things we all wish we had the guts to say, and he (she?) is rather crude.I tip my hat at you flagging potential problems - I would rather have you coding than some of the jackasses I've worked with over the years.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I take it you're a fan of Foamy, the Squirrel? I thought of the Tech Support episode when I read your message. (If you want to see it, do a google search but be warned - Foamy says the things we all wish we had the guts to say, and he (she?) is rather crude.

hahaha - I had completely forgotten about those tech support videos!!! I can remember watching with my 2 co-workers and dying laughing!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I tip my hat at you flagging potential problems - I would rather have you coding than some of the jackasses I've worked with over the years.

That is only because I really do care about our company. I want things to be done right. BUT - that being said - it is SO tempting to take an attitude and "just do as I am told". If I flag problems when it gets to me - and it takes days to get an answer - then I am the one who did not deliver on time.

But, in all fairness, when they hire new people for programming, those new people do not know what to ask and assume the managers/project leaders are knowledgeable and are providing accurate specs.

Well said! They did not expect this to go with way it has and are very sorry for it. (Marla talked about this on a call for Directors and above.) We need to be patient with them- they are going to make it right, but are going to abide by our policies and procedures!

heather223 said:
Well said! They did not expect this to go with way it has and are very sorry for it. (Marla talked about this on a call for Directors and above.) We need to be patient with them- they are going to make it right, but are going to abide by our policies and procedures!

Unfortunately, they are not giving everyone this information. Home office really needs to be more communicative to all consultants about what is and is not going to be happening. I find this (lack of communication) to be one of the most frustrating pieces in this entire "hot mess". And I am really shocked that it has all gone so wrong.

I totally agree with you. This reminds me of growing up in the '50's & 60's with the mentality of not talking about "bad" things.... Not that this is a bad thing, but I do feel that we have all come out of the daarkness and appreciate knowing what is going on. I like that Marla shared this with the Dircetors but what about those who have uplinse who do not want anyone to know anything negative. Speculation often causes more dissention than the truth~;)

In fairness to HO those who were invited to the call were the only ones who are experiencing all these issues. They have been addressing them with us and the apology was well timed. We needed to hear that along with the updates. We are in the trenches, dealing with all kinds of issues that TL, SC and Consultants will not even see when they get on the new web and that is how it should be. I realize everyone else is anxiously waiting to get on and they should be telling them SOMETHING and not relying totally on directors to pass everything down but really that is our job anyway - communicating with our teams.

Yes, they don't want to talk about the negative. No business does. It annoys me too but there is reason for that. There is a fine line between working behind the scenes and telling us what is happening there behind that curtain. Most businesses don't want the "workers" to know all the issues.

I know that HO hates these loops because things are said and then rumors start and then people get upset and then...

h.o may hate thes loops but these loops and FB are what have been really helping with questions and info with the new web . Mostly FB on director loops or Executive FB loops , questions get answered fast help is there ith HOW to do stuff ect .

BethCooks4U said:
In fairness to HO those who were invited to the call were the only ones who are experiencing all these issues. They have been addressing them with us and the apology was well timed.

Fair enough, Beth. But the way it looks now, it is going to be way past the announced deadline for the changes to happen with everyone. Better for them (as far as I'm concerned) to give everyone a heads up now. Be generic but let folks know (with an apology to all) that there are problems they weren't expecting and that they can't pin-point the change over date (because I'd bet big bucks that they have NO IDEA at this point).

I agree that when the new web and app are finally ready the bugs will have been worked out....HOWEVER...those of us below Director level Should be receiving Something from HO. A Very generic....We are sorry for the delay and are working to get all issues resolved as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience......
for me....that would suffice....right now I feel as if I don't matter....only directors and above matter.....just my humble opinion.
And I appreciate so much all of those who are working with HO to iron out all of these problems so we won't be having such issues when we are able to access the web and app!!!!!

I agree with you espesially when they still won't everyone to still recruite , how are you able to train them if you don't know what works nd what dosesn't work right now . I think it's been frustrating for all of us . If they are going to hold off maybe aso me what target. Date would be nice.

BethCooks4U said:
In fairness to HO those who were invited to the call were the only ones who are experiencing all these issues. They have been addressing them with us and the apology was well timed. We needed to hear that along with the updates. We are in the trenches, dealing with all kinds of issues that TL, SC and Consultants will not even see when they get on the new web and that is how it should be. I realize everyone else is anxiously waiting to get on and they should be telling them SOMETHING and not relying totally on directors to pass everything down but really that is our job anyway - communicating with our teams.

Yes, they don't want to talk about the negative. No business does. It annoys me too but there is reason for that. There is a fine line between working behind the scenes and telling us what is happening there behind that curtain. Most businesses don't want the "workers" to know all the issues.

I know that HO hates these loops because things are said and then rumors start and then people get upset and then...

I was invited to that call and I am not able to get on the new web. (My title changed from TL to Director May 1.) While I agree that the communication to the levels below directors has not been what it should be, there is also a great deal of rumors going on about the new web. I know it is frustrating for all of us, but getting upset and having a fit over it isn't going to help them. We have the best HO in the Direct Selling Industry. They will get this fixed, we just need to be patient and let them do their job and stop complaining already. It isn't like we can't get our jobs done- we can. Ok, getting off my soap box now.

Ditto. Remember how cool we all thought this was going to be when we first heard about it? It is. It is just taking longer than expected to accomplish. Anyone who has ever worked on a project of magnitude knows - take the timeframe you expect it to take, and double it.Ever had renovations done on a house? Things come up. Ever had a piece of clothing altered? Occasionally they just run into glitches.Pray for tech support. Pray for the home office. Pray for the 3rd party folks who are working so hard to make it all work out. It will soon work out! Pray for patience for one another. Pray for the tens of new customers you will soon have, and the droves of other direct sellers who will be coming to PC to join because of this awesome software.

Excellent point Scott! I am working on a major deployment for a hospital system in Southeast Wisconsin. There are 27 different hospitals and clinics involved. Many of you have heard of EPIC. Now, our contract ended yesterday as the roll out is June 5. My cohort and I have been opening our mouths all along as we keep running into problems with the way things are being done. Also, our contract has been extended until June 29th. There are so many things that were not only overlooked, but done wrong and timed incorrectly that it is simply NOT OVER YET! This is also going to be the case with this new Pampered Chef web project. I am sorry, but for every "deployment" there are many "real life" things that are just simply not always seen up front. For example, this means they need the right equipment in house, like switches, routers and such. We have deployed over 40 devices where they wanted them but guess what? No one remembered to see if there were enough ports open to accept the new devices. Or even power available to plug them in or devices that have acquired IP addresses that should have static, this means preset, non-changeable, IP addresses. That is like the e-mail addresses. I mean seriously, we see it every time we do a show. Not every one has one or wants to give it out. Assumptions at HO by the techies or whomever, made it impossible not to enter one. Also, Kam is extremely correct in that back tracking is not only sometimes not possible but completely impossible. It can be not cost effective but as I have seen the code behind some of these websites, simply a no go. Many, many many work hours were spent writing these programs and it could take just as long to rewrite. Extremely costly as well as time consuming. And yes, open your mouths! When my cohort and I ran into the dead ports, no power or bad IP addressing, we spoke up. This MADE some one look at the ports, power and addressing systems in place and look for corrective measures. It took two to three days to find some of these but every device is in place and connected to the net work now. Every time we as consultants find something, we need to say something, as there can be a work around put in place. Or at least there should be. And now is the time to speak up as leaving something go can actually make things worse. One fix for one thing can make another issue an even harder problem to fix. Or even impossible to fix. This is an extremely important business upgrade for us. And we need to make sure everyone inside the "tech bubble" knows our "real life" issues. And yes, it may take an enormous amount of time to find a fix but it will be all for the best when it comes to us and PC staying on top of things in the future.

Yes John I agree! When I went through the "training" PC has on the new web. I knew that it had been designed to move us into the high tech world and that is fantastic! I prayed that there had been more input by those who live in the "real life" world when it was being designed. :)
I have worked with many people who are in "bubbles" and can't see beyond their area of expertise. It is sometimes very difficult for them to comprehend that problems would even come up :) but we all know they do.
I know that when it is all said and done it will be great! We already work around those people who don't want to give info. and I am sure we will find a way to continue to do so. The last thing our company would want is to lose business!!!!!!
So am saying prayers for all of those working on these issues and the directors who are in the trenches. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out soon.

Well said John and Carla!

John, EPIC is not just in SE Wisconsin, NE Wisconsin is using it too and having a few problems. The one I know for sure is that several clinics (in the same system) are not seeing e-mail/fax requests (I never know which clinics/systems use fax vs e-mail) and cannot respond to them or they are getting them and the new system isn't sending them... How frustrating for the clinics, the pharmacies, and the patients!!

I heard that there are about 37 different programs that do the same thing EPIC does. And yes, getting them to "speak" to each other is gonna be a "real life" issue that these vendors/programmers are gonna have a real life eye opening with! Every thing I have ever done that revolves around new programs, (Remember some of the issues we had with P3?), have always had glitches. Some major, some remarkably minor. But it happens. Time and input from all the "users" is always crucial to these change overs. All I can say here is be patient, be vocal, and be diligent when it comes to using the new programs fully. Oh and do not come out here FIRST with a problem you are having. You may be the first to run into a problem and Tech Support will need to hear from you. And by coming here first without a resolution from Tech Support, you would only be adding to the confusion. Get a response first then post the issue with the response. That would be a bigger help to all of us. So it may be a programming issue or simply a training issue. In this case, users not knowing the right way to use something. AND THAT IS NORMAL!!! This means the details that were given to you, the user, are probably unclear and need to be updated. This is also part of the change over. Those working details may also need to be tweaked! Remember the details about how to use the Microwave Chip Maker? Same thing. Bad instruction can cause bad results! I certainly do not expect any of us to have our PCs go up in flames but you might! Slow burns in ones brain are also not good and do no one any good. Report the incident right away to either instructional or programmable problems to get someone to look at it and get you a resolution. DO NOT BEAT YOUR HEAD AGAINST A WALL trying to do something you might not be able to do even if you know it is something you KNOW it is something you should be able to do per the instructions. Frustration is not the answer. If it won't work, call the first time. This will only help you and Tech Support get to the problem. Whether it be the written instructions or a programming issue, it is not your job to fix either of these on your own.

I've decided to look at the delayed rollout as extra time to save up for the 4G iPad I think I want when it's a go!

Having been involved in alpha & beta testing, as well as multiple software rollouts when I lived in the IT world, I never expect an immediate smooth rollout. It's just the nature of the beast. Kudos to everyone working to get it done.

Oh I visited Dad in the hospital and the nurse was complaining about the new system. (11 clicks just to put a urine output?) She said she worked at another hospita and their system was much more user friendly.

I am getting my i-pod this week because it's now or never. Plus my mp3 player has been broken for months. So this would encourage me to walk. Plus music in the car!

Has any one had this , when I sign in to the new web then go to the top let to

FIND YOU SHOW it went to Host name _________last name_________
Or Organization ____________. Like we have been wanting now it's GONE , there one day then GONE

Did you let Tech Support know?

Yes I did they said that the customer sees the first name and last , but that I don't and that I see host e mail address but nt sure she s correct

1. What is the purpose of the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade"?

The "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade" is a new feature that aims to improve the overall user experience on our website. It includes various upgrades and enhancements that make browsing and shopping easier and more enjoyable for our customers.

2. What are some specific upgrades included in the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade"?

Some of the upgrades included in the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade" are a more user-friendly navigation menu, improved search function, and a streamlined checkout process. We have also added more product images and descriptions to provide a better understanding of our products.

3. Will the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade" affect my account or past orders?

No, the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade" will not affect your account or any past orders. Your account information and order history will remain the same. However, you may notice some changes in the layout and design of the website.

4. How do I access the new features of the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade"?

Once the upgrade is complete, you can simply visit our website as usual and you will automatically have access to all the new features. There is no need to download or install anything.

5. Will there be any downtime during the "aFew Thoughts on the Web Upgrade"?

We will try our best to minimize any downtime during the upgrade. However, there may be a brief period where the website will be temporarily unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience during the upgrade process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • cookingwithlove
  • General Chat
Replies