• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

March for Babies: What to Expect & How to Prepare for Your First Walk

In summary, the walk is short and easy and should not require anything other than a hat, sunscreen, and comfy shoes.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I'm the type of person who doesn't like going into something without knowing what I'm doing! I signed up to do the March for Babies walk with weekend with my sister. It used to be March for Dimes but they have changed the name. What should I expect? Do I need to bring something to drink/snack? I've never done anything like this before but wanted to go in support of my sister and her friend who both lost babies 6 months apart.

I haven't done it but I'm sure they will provide water throughout the walk.

I used to walk this every year and I would suggest comfy shoes, thick socks and layers. It normally starts in the morning so it can be chilly, but by the afternoon it can get pretty hot. Oh, and sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!!! There are water stations where I believe they also give out oranges (at least they used to). If you're walking at a good pace you're not going to want to eat while walking because you may cramp up. Make sure you eat a BIG pasta dinner the night before and a good breakfast. Hope this helped!

they have either 2 or 3 checkpoints with beverages, but I would bring a bottle or 2 of water on your own. (atleast I know my local chapter does this). I usually bring 2 bottles of water, granola bar and comfy shoes.
(I can pack extra though, because I have a stroller to put it all in.
It's great you are walking this year. Maybe you will continue to walk every year now.

How long is the walk?

im not sure about there, but here is 5K which is I think 3.2 miles. Not too bad.

I don't know how long it is! It starts at 9 a.m. so I know that the weather will change. I do have an Eddie Bauer walking pack (like a fanny pack) that carries two water bottles and other stuff in the pouch. I'll pull that out and bring it.

My sister's friend signed up frist and I was interested to do it with my sister. So when she signed up, I did too. I think it's a great cause but have never done anything like this before. I'm really excited to go.

wadesgirl said:
I do have an Eddie Bauer walking pack (like a fanny pack) that carries two water bottles and other stuff in the pouch. I'll pull that out and bring it.

Oh yes, the fanny pack!! :sing: :sing:

I believe I used one of those as well. It did come in handy!! :D

daniellemorgan said:
Oh yes, the fanny pack!! :sing: :sing:

I believe I used one of those as well. It did come in handy!! :D
I know, fanny packs get a bad rep but this isn't your basic "tourist" fanny pack. It's a really nice one we use when we go hiking or playing frisbee golf. Comes in really good use. Plus it would hold some snacks and layers of clothing that I strip off! I'll have to ask my sister if she's bringing any of the kids in the stroller just in case. I almost forgot about sunscreen. I'm usually pretty good at putting the stuff on but it's so early in the year I probably would have forgot!

Hey wadesgirl, I am doing one this weekend, too!! Where are you located, again? I am doing the one in Newark, DE...I am glad you asked these questions, because I never thought about any of this stuff! I am walking with my Mothers of Multiples club, since prematurity is so common in multiples, so the club participates every year. Good luck!!

One of my recruits is walking in one in this area, and it's 6 miles.

I don't get out much but I know that as long as I'm not running, walking is pretty fine with me. We always go hiking as a family, play frisbee golf, etc. I guess I'll see if I make it through!

If its less than 5 miles I wouldnt bring anything. Just comfy shoes, good socks and a lightweight jacket.More than that (which generally are 10+ miles), a fanny back with a bottle holder.
Important things on LONG walks:
First Aid kit for blisters
Extra socks
WIDE MOUTH bottle so you can refill at checkpoints
Hat/Visor to keep sun out of eyes
SunscreenThese suggestions come form experience with marathon (26.2 mile) walks. Im trying to remember what else I needed then.Most likely your walk is shorter than that, so you would need to bring anything but a hat, sunscreen and comfy shoes. Everything else should be provided at checkpoints

I found out today that the walk is only two miles. Won't be very hard at all. And my sister is bringing the baby, well she's not a baby anymore but still in a stroller so there will be a little room for "storage".

So, wadesgirl, how did it go??Mine was great. I actually thought the weather was perfect - overcast so no sunburns, and just chilly enough that we all wore sweatshirts and didn't overheat. The walk was easy, and there were people giving out water along the route (and one U of Del frat house that offered beer, with ID, of course. :) ) The hardest part was that they posted pictures of preemie stories along the way, and the ones that were "in memory of" made me want to cry. I found out today that one of the mothers in my twins club had had a first set of twins that were born at 20 weeks and only lived an hour, and it broke my heart. Her second set of twins is now 5ish, and you can't even tell they were preemies, but I had no idea the first set even existed until today. I felt very proud to be part of it, and made me vow to raise more next year!! I hope you enjoyed the experience as much as I did!!

We had alot of fun. It was a very long day though! It was in a town over an hour away, so we had to get up pretty early. We camped at my sister's land the night before so I packed on Thursday night. I brought a pair of capris jogging pants. It was a little too cold for those! My ankles were freezing! It was overcast and windy so it took us longer with all the kids going. We had 4 adults in our team and 10 kids! They had stations at the corners we needed to turn at. One had water, one had granola bars, one had something else and the last one had a snickers bar. Then they served pizza and gave a way door prizes back at the starting area. Right before the starting area, they had families who predecorated little cardboard t-shirts for their baby. There was only 7 but it was still sad. My sister's family did one for their baby and her friend's family did so too. Four people from our group one door prizes, sort of cool since they didn't have that many door prizes. Then we all got a picture together with the t-shirts that I made at work that had the names and dates of the babies that we were walking for. It was really nice and I'm so glad I did it. I think we will do it again next year. My sister was glad I was there to support her.

Related to March for Babies: What to Expect & How to Prepare for Your First Walk

What is the March for Babies event?

The March for Babies is an annual fundraising walk organized by the March of Dimes organization to support and raise awareness for the health of moms and babies. It is a community event that brings people together to make a difference in the lives of families across the country.

When and where does the March for Babies take place?

The March for Babies typically takes place in April, which is also recognized as National Child Abuse Prevention Month. The event is held in various locations across the country, including major cities and local communities. You can find the nearest walk to you by visiting the March of Dimes website.

How do I register for the March for Babies?

You can register for the March for Babies by visiting the March of Dimes website and selecting the “Register” button. You can either sign up as an individual or create a team with friends, family, or coworkers. Registration is free and you can set a fundraising goal to help support the cause.

What should I expect on the day of the March for Babies?

On the day of the event, you can expect to see a sea of purple as participants gather to walk for a great cause. There will be a registration area, a stage for opening ceremonies and entertainment, and a designated route for the walk. There will also be water stations and volunteers along the way to provide support and encouragement.

How can I prepare for my first March for Babies walk?

To prepare for your first March for Babies walk, it is recommended to start training beforehand by going on regular walks or runs. You can also reach out to your friends and family for support and donations. On the day of the walk, make sure to wear comfortable shoes and clothing, bring water and snacks, and don’t forget to have fun!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
JaimeQ
Replies
Views
KimmyDarling
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jbarnhill
  • General Chat