• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Shoe Tips: What to Expect and How Much Walking to Prepare For

Crocs might be just the thing. I've never tried them on. The little ballet flats are cute...A couple of months before conference last year I began experiencing extreme foot pain in my right foot. When looking for a new pair of shoes (since I was walking as a new Director) I tried on so many pairs that would have been perfect except for the fact I could not walk three feet without hurting myself beyond belief.I went to The Walking Company and found a pair of Mephisto's. They saved me! I am talking very comfortable sandals! They are also quite stylish. Now, you pay dearly for comfort. However, a $900.00 Pampered Chef Show will give you enough
KimmyDarling
Since this will be my first (of many!) conferences, I don't know what to expect with some things. The biggie is this-- how much walking will we be doing? (I'm staying at the Hilton, if that makes any difference.)I'm wondering if I will need to buy a pair of more comfy shoes... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's safer to plan on a TON of walking (several miles a day) than not. The first year I attended conference, all the events except the special breakfasts (new director, Breakfast of Caring) and Career Club lunch were very close together. But since then, they've started spreading us out around McCormick Center.

I have attended 6 national Conferences. More than anything else you want to wear comfortable shoes--there is a ton of walking. Most of us wear tennis shoes or some other comfortable shoes during the days (no flip flops). I wear the little leather keds with a little padding inside--they look nice and are comfortable to wear. At the evening sessions you can wear a little less comfortable shoes, there is not that much walking. But daytimes, opt for comfort.

Thanks, y'all!

I wear business casual clothes (croped pants, nice blouse) and TENNIS SHOES!!!

I'm planning on taking my crocs.

Leave the high heels at home! Definitely, if you have it in your budget, buy a pair of crocs for conference!

I ordered some Crocs last week, and they were delivered this morning. Too bad I'm at work and they're at home... :(

chefann said:
I ordered some Crocs last week, and they were delivered this morning. Too bad I'm at work and they're at home... :(

My chef's hat and whisk jibbitz came in yesterday - they look SO cute on my pink crocs!

I might look for some jibbitz in the area after I try on the shoes. I ordered 3 (!) pair: orange mary janes, lime Caymans (like the original) and white/pink Sassari, which are a wedge - a little dressier. Oh- and one pair of lime socks to go with the Caymans (the orange socks were sold out in the large size). DH is going to hate them. He already thinks I have way too many shoes!

Crocs might be just the thing. I've never tried them on. The little ballet flats are cute...

A couple of months before conference last year I began experiencing extreme foot pain in my right foot. When looking for a new pair of shoes (since I was walking as a new Director) I tried on so many pairs that would have been perfect except for the fact I could not walk three feet without hurting myself beyond belief.

I went to The Walking Company and found a pair of Mephisto's. They saved me! I am talking very comfortable sandals! They are also quite stylish. Now, you pay dearly for comfort. However, a $900.00 Pampered Chef Show will give you enough commissions to pay for a pair. Yes, they were $175.00. I had to really think about buying them before making that kind of purchase. I have never spent that kind of money on a pair of shoes. However, I need to be able to walk and they did the trick. The liner can be removed and replaced so they can last a very long time. Also, I am considering ordering orthodics for them since I can remove the liner and put the orthodics in.

I have been to the foot doctor and I have Plantar Fasciitis. It basically means the tendon is pulling on the bone and causing a bone spur. Please take care of your feet. I do not want any of you to experience this. Wear good shoes and make sure you wear shoes on hard surfaces such as hard wood and tile floors. Barefeet feel great, but our feet are not meant for walking on hard surfaces without shoes.

Thanks!
Lisa

Thanks!
Lisa

I have BIG feet and they are a bit narrow so buying shoes is a nightmare for me. I wanted to find a good pair of non-athletic walking shoes before the trip to San Francisco. I hit the jackpot with Josef Seibel shoes. They are not cheap (I couldn't be so lucky) but they were VERY comfortable and I think look good.

Here's their website. The style I got is the Taylor (I think that's right).

http://josef-seibel.com/women's.htm

chefann said:
I might look for some jibbitz in the area after I try on the shoes. I ordered 3 (!) pair: orange mary janes, lime Caymans (like the original) and white/pink Sassari, which are a wedge - a little dressier. Oh- and one pair of lime socks to go with the Caymans (the orange socks were sold out in the large size). DH is going to hate them. He already thinks I have way too many shoes!

Ann, did you buy your crocs from their website or elsewhere?

I ordered them from the Crocs website. I could have looked around locally, but it was easier to just order online.
The wedges are so cute - but I wish they had been available in my actual size. I went one size up in order to get the pink (the 10s were sold out in pink). The 11s are a little big, but still workable. They're SO cute! I wore the green ones out last night, and they were more comfortable than I expected.

I am thinking about investing in a pair of crocks...... last year I was warned about walking so I brought my danskos, my DH said that he would buy me a new pair next weekend...I was planning on using the commish I just got to buy them but since my commish was larger than normal he told me to use it for spending money and he would put it on plastic... ain't he sweet??? :D if your going to buy danskos be prepared to pay money for them.... but they are worth it in the end... your feet will thank you.

I have a pair of Dansko sandals and love them. As Leah mentioned, they are pricey. I paid about $100 for them.

I did a LOT of walking last year... From one end of the center to the other. My advice: bring a few different pairs and change shoes midday (or at some point) if you can. I wore the same sandals all day for one of the days and got an awful rash on my feet.

I bought some brown Mary Jane type Sketchers and some black ballerina looking slip ons just for confrence (otherwise I'd have 4 inch platforms) my every day shoes which wouldn't be soo comfy! LOL

Ok...i want some crocs now too!!!!!

What do you recommend? The Cayman or the Beach???

I got the Cayman and Mary Janes - the Beach looked too clunky for me. Of the 2 I got, I prefer the Mary Janes. JMO.

And sizing? I printed the page that you could check your size on and it has me 2 sizes larger than my regular shoes! I wear a 10 or 11, depending on the shoe. (my feet have grown..ugh)

Make sure that the scale on the page is accurate. If your printer scaled the page, it's not correct.I ordered my usual size (10), and they're fine.

I feel so out of it! I don't even own a pair or know where to buy 'em.

I ordered them from the Crocs site (www.crocs.com)Some Hallmark stores carry them, as do Dick's Sporting Goods.

DSW is having triple points starting tomorrow (June 28-30), so I'm going to try and find some comfy (and cute) shoes.

ChefLisa said:
A couple of months before conference last year I began experiencing extreme foot pain in my right foot. When looking for a new pair of shoes (since I was walking as a new Director) I tried on so many pairs that would have been perfect except for the fact I could not walk three feet without hurting myself beyond belief.

I went to The Walking Company and found a pair of Mephisto's. They saved me! I am talking very comfortable sandals! They are also quite stylish. Now, you pay dearly for comfort. However, a $900.00 Pampered Chef Show will give you enough commissions to pay for a pair. Yes, they were $175.00. I had to really think about buying them before making that kind of purchase. I have never spent that kind of money on a pair of shoes. However, I need to be able to walk and they did the trick. The liner can be removed and replaced so they can last a very long time. Also, I am considering ordering orthodics for them since I can remove the liner and put the orthodics in.

I have been to the foot doctor and I have Plantar Fasciitis. It basically means the tendon is pulling on the bone and causing a bone spur. Please take care of your feet. I do not want any of you to experience this. Wear good shoes and make sure you wear shoes on hard surfaces such as hard wood and tile floors. Barefeet feel great, but our feet are not meant for walking on hard surfaces without shoes.

Thanks!
Lisa

Thanks!
Lisa
Talking about foot pain. I had bone spurs also and my sister recommended Birkenstocks. Since I have been wearing Birkenstocks for about 6 years I have had no problems with bone spurs. You might want to try them.

I have some brown Birks that I will bring and also some black sandals.

Been there with the Plantar Fascitis. I do try to stretch that tendon that run down my calf and to the bottom of my foot. --Pike stretch. Help them not be so tight and helps prevent the tearing of the thin muscle on the bottom of your foot. Still it took awhile to recover and sometimes I really aggravate it still. I have to watch the arches in my shoes. I need walking shoes for Conference--running out of time and this thread has helped wake me up to it.

Julie

Nordstrom, Gottschalks, Macys, and most other bigger stores have crocs. In our mall, there is a crocs kiosk in the middle. HTH!

I got mine at Nordstroms, but surfanddirt.com is a good place too.

Update on the shoe search...I found some made by SoftWalk at Off Broadway Shoes (which I LOVE-- great bargains, wide selection), and they are the most cushiony shoes I've ever tried on. They're not the cutest things in the world, but comfort trumps cuteness when it comes to the happiness of my feet. ;)http://www.softwalkshoes.com/prod_detail.asp?catid=0&prodid=54

1. How much walking can I expect to do at the conference?

The amount of walking you will do at the conference will depend on your individual schedule and activities. If you plan on attending multiple workshops and sessions, you can expect to do a fair amount of walking. However, if you prefer to stay in one area or take breaks in between sessions, your walking distance may be less. Overall, it is recommended to expect to walk a moderate amount throughout the conference.

2. I am staying at the Hilton, will I need to do a lot of walking?

The Hilton is a popular hotel for conference attendees, so you may have to do some walking within the hotel itself. However, the conference center and other event locations may require additional walking. It is best to plan for some walking throughout your stay, but if you have any concerns, you can always reach out to the conference organizers for more specific information.

3. Should I bring comfortable shoes for the conference?

Yes, it is highly recommended to bring comfortable shoes for the conference. You will likely be on your feet for a good portion of the day, so it is important to have supportive and comfortable shoes to prevent any discomfort or fatigue. It is also a good idea to bring a backup pair of shoes in case your feet get tired or if you encounter any unexpected weather conditions.

4. Will I have time to change shoes during the conference?

The conference schedule is typically jam-packed with workshops, sessions, and networking opportunities, so there may not be a lot of time for breaks or changing shoes. However, if you feel the need to change into more comfortable shoes, you can always excuse yourself during a break or lunch break to do so. It is also a good idea to plan ahead and wear comfortable shoes for the majority of the day.

5. Any other tips for preparing for the conference in terms of footwear?

In addition to bringing comfortable shoes, it is also a good idea to pack any necessary foot care items such as band-aids, blister pads, or inserts. You can also consider wearing shoes that are appropriate for the conference dress code and weather conditions. And most importantly, listen to your body and take breaks when needed to rest your feet and prevent any discomfort or injuries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ilove2cookpc
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies