• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing a Host Who Expects Too Much for Free

I mean, I make them, but I don't have them in the store. So if you don't see what you're looking for, please let me know and I'll be happy to order it for you. :)So, basically, if you go over $700, you're getting a ton of products for free, PLUS 25% off everything else in the store, PLUS whatever you choose from the catalog. And if you're a new host, you're getting an amazing deal PLUS $30 in free products!"
Vicks
How do you handle a host who expects a LOT of "free gifts" for her and her guests?

This is a gal who is a PC veteran. She's been to TONS of shows, and hosted a handful as well, so she knows how these things go. She's been to a bunch of Mystery Host ones, where the FPV, 1/2 off items and other things (Consultant's extras) were raffled off, so that doesn't help her expectations toward regular shows.

When she was doing her invites she asked me what "free gifts" her guests would get. I asked her for an example. She said "Like if they bring a friend, get there on time, bring an outside order, etc." I said, "How about you word it this way - Bring a friend whom I don't know and get a gift." Well, that didn't satisfy her. :( (I KNEW she would just invite half her guests, so the other half would be "guests" and everyone would get a gift for bringing someone and for being a guest, which later she admitted she's done before.) I told her I do the drawing slip prize as well, so that would give everyone a chance to get something, plus whoever brought a friend. I may even do tickets, but haven't decided yet (I need to buy them first). I even mentioned if she got some bookings prior to her show from people who can't make it, I'd give her an extra $5 in FPV (I need bookings in a bad way!).

She thinks I'm being "cheap" and she wants people to get a bunch of stuff, because she enjoys it when she goes to these parties and gets free things, and wants everyone to have fun and get lots of stuff. I mentioned I have different ways of doing it, but I mix it up so not all my shows are the same, but I do give out free gifts.

This is the same host of mine, who thought it was "crap" when she couldn't use her FPV toward what she owed on the 1/2 off items, and how she didn't get points or something extra for bookings (she didn't care for the bookings benefits as they are, she wanted something "now"). I think the last show she hosted was back when the points were still how things were calculated, which might explain why she got something for a booking.

Sad thing is this isn't someone I met through another show, it's my best friend. And she sincerely wants to help me start up my business and support me, she just expects soooooo much for free. And, yes, she knows I don't have a lot of things, because I'm just starting out. Ugh! :grumpy: You'd think those closest to you would be more supportive than they tend to be at times. :( :rolleyes:

Any words of advice? Any way I can word it so she'll be more satisfied, or is it just futile? This is her second show with me, and my show #6. She did my very first show, also, and most of the same people will be at this one, too.

TIA!
~Vicks

A family member of mine is doing a catalog show and is upset she can't use her FPV towards her 1/2 off items either...This is what I wrote her about that:

"Our host benefit program is 4 seperate offers & when you take advantage of them all, it's an amazing deal!!

1. Basically you get $125 in Free Products for having a $700 catalog show. I'm offering another $30 in Free products for catalog shows over $500, so you qualify for that as well. So either you can choose $125 in anything you'd like and I'll buy you the deep covered baker free, or you can have $155 in FREE products & spend you own money on the baker.

2. We offer our hosts an item at 60% off, just for hosts. That's the deep covered baker this month. That's above & beyond the free products.

3. You've also earned 3 items at 1/2 off. That's also above & beyond your free products! You can choose ANYTHING in the entire catalog as 1/2 off (not just the host 1/2 priced combos) So if you want the most bang for your buck, choosing something pricey for these items are the way to go~if you'd rather spend less, you can choose a moderately priced item, or something for $1 if you'd prefer. You don't have to use them at all if you don't want to!

4. If you go beyond the $125 in Free products, you get a discount on everything else~yours being 25% OFF! That's a great way to get some christmas shopping done at a savings as well!

The 1/2 priced & 60% off items are something that I don't make a commission on, so it's not like I'm trying to sell you something higher priced since I would benefit, it's just an added bonus! I hope this helps explain our benefits program a little better!! If you have any other questions, please ask away!!"

As far as free products go, do you have a Twixit set? Maybe you could give everyone 1 twixit, so they are all getting something. That's what I do if someone brought a friend OR has never been to a PC show before. It's frustrating when the host seems greedy, cause our host program is the best around!! Maybe let her know if she wants to do a little something for all her guests, that's alright with you! Just be honest though, let her know you don't have alot of 'stock' as far as door prizes go, cause you're just starting out....
Sorry I'm not much help! Good luck!!

Wow, so sorry she's being difficult! Sarah's explanation is perfect and very clearly worded. Since she's your good friend can you just be blunt with her and say "Listen, I'm just getting started and I don't have a lot of extras right now. I appreciate you helping me get my business started and introducing me to people, and one day I hope I will be able to spoil you and your guests...but that day is not here yet" will she understand?

Maybe encourage her to host a show with another DS company....then she'll see how wonderful our program is!

Oh, and as for the old points for bookings....that added-up to be just a couple of dollars.....with our new program they can save tons at their friend's show.....especially when it's an expensive item that's the special.

Good luck.

I would tell your friend that you are trying to build your business and you have to personally pay for everything you give away. If it's true tell her that you can't afford that right now. She just doesn't get it. Pampered Chef is SO generous that we don't need to give anything at all - well, except a door prize so we can collect contact information.

I used to give out more gifts but it didn't help my show averages or even my bookings.

Now I give the door prize winner a "collector's item" - a discontinued Season's Best and I tell them that the current one is $1 but this one is priceless because it can't be purchased. Sometimes I give other small items that I have gotten like the citrus press or mini-whipper.

As far as bringing a friend I give both of them $1 off their shipping. When I gave them a gift often neither ordered. This way I don't spend any money if they don't purchase.

I give my hosts a small gift too and those who have $600 or better shows get unlimited half price items. I use their show discount (25%) and my commission to cover it. It has often given them the incentive to get those extra orders and actually my part has usually been under $10.

I have also given past hosts the discount they earned at their show at shows booked from theirs that THEY got for me. - PC gives them 10% and I give them the other 15-20% out of my commission.

It seems that the more incentives I offer the less people want to do the show/place the order. Go figure!

What about the recipe cards? put 3 or 4 together tie it with a ribbon and give everyone a set when they check out. Customers who weren't going to biy that night will just to get the freebie (make sure your info is on each one)

I had about 8 goodie bags (small cellophane treat bags with confetti printed on them form Dollar tree) left over from an event I did. It had 4 old recipe cards, 2 pieces of Now & Later candy, 2 Jolly Ranchers and a business card coupon I made that had various specials printed (Blank Business cards (Nice ones from Geographic papers) for $2.00 at Big Lots)

all cards said Be JOLLY, Host a show NOW , enjoy benefits LATER.
Some had free shipping, some had free product with order (I choose depending on what they spend), some were for 10% off.
I threw these in my prize drawing bag for my last 3 shows they are gone. People took it over the typical things I chunk in the bag.

IF she really is your good friend and you are getting started be HONEST, tell her it really isn't PC's way, and you don't want to start a cycle of where people expect "xyz" at every show. Once it begins it is hard to stop

FYI-when we had the points system in place, the booking benefit totaled $3.50!!! She is going to save WAY more than that at her friends shows.

You are going to have to be blunt and honest with this friend. She needs to understand the program VERY well from your point of view, not just her own. PC is a grat company because they don't want us to spend our own monwy on what our hosts get-they want us to make money!! We have a very generous program and she may just need to be told to "lay off"!

wasn't it 150 points so it was only $ 3.00

Teresa Lynn said:

The point system was not equal......something that was $3 could be 150 points, but so could something else that was $3.50.........that was one of the things that was confusing for hosts, and sometimes not fair.

Vicks said:
How do you handle a host who expects a LOT of "free gifts" for her and her guests?

This is a gal who is a PC veteran. She's been to TONS of shows, and hosted a handful as well, so she knows how these things go. She's been to a bunch of Mystery Host ones, where the FPV, 1/2 off items and other things (Consultant's extras) were raffled off, so that doesn't help her expectations toward regular shows.

When she was doing her invites she asked me what "free gifts" her guests would get. I asked her for an example. She said "Like if they bring a friend, get there on time, bring an outside order, etc." I said, "How about you word it this way - Bring a friend whom I don't know and get a gift." Well, that didn't satisfy her. :( (I KNEW she would just invite half her guests, so the other half would be "guests" and everyone would get a gift for bringing someone and for being a guest, which later she admitted she's done before.) I told her I do the drawing slip prize as well, so that would give everyone a chance to get something, plus whoever brought a friend. I may even do tickets, but haven't decided yet (I need to buy them first). I even mentioned if she got some bookings prior to her show from people who can't make it, I'd give her an extra $5 in FPV (I need bookings in a bad way!).

She thinks I'm being "cheap" and she wants people to get a bunch of stuff, because she enjoys it when she goes to these parties and gets free things, and wants everyone to have fun and get lots of stuff. I mentioned I have different ways of doing it, but I mix it up so not all my shows are the same, but I do give out free gifts.

This is the same host of mine, who thought it was "crap" when she couldn't use her FPV toward what she owed on the 1/2 off items, and how she didn't get points or something extra for bookings (she didn't care for the bookings benefits as they are, she wanted something "now"). I think the last show she hosted was back when the points were still how things were calculated, which might explain why she got something for a booking.

Sad thing is this isn't someone I met through another show, it's my best friend. And she sincerely wants to help me start up my business and support me, she just expects soooooo much for free. And, yes, she knows I don't have a lot of things, because I'm just starting out. Ugh! :grumpy: You'd think those closest to you would be more supportive than they tend to be at times. :( :rolleyes:

Any words of advice? Any way I can word it so she'll be more satisfied, or is it just futile? This is her second show with me, and my show #6. She did my very first show, also, and most of the same people will be at this one, too.

TIA!
~Vicks

Why not make a bunch of pretzel wreaths (shouldn't cost too much) and tell host that you have something in mind and it's a surprize. You could give one to host, and pick 3 out of tickets (give extra tickets to those that book and maybe even the dipping set thing ordered AT their show for free)?

These look amazing when wrapped in a celphane gift bag, tied with a bow!

Teresa Lynn said:

This is my point exactly! Not even we consultants could get a relly good grip on how the points system worked!;)

Thank you ladies!!!

I have been blunt with her, to a point, maybe I need to be more clear. heh

She has been to and hosted other shows (mostly TW, CL, maybe MK) and is familiar with them. We have a really good friend who used to be a Consultant, and so I think she got really spoiled by what the other gal used to do. Plus, it's honestly just her personality. She is one of those that just HAS to keep up with the Joneses. Not just keep up, but be BETTER. :rolleyes: She sees it as a reflection of herself and she has to perform and put on the best show so everyone will think highly of her. She's getting better about things, but yikes. lol

I did tell her if she'd like to offer some small gifts as well to go ahead. I stuck to my guns and told her that I'd be doing the bring a friend she doesn't know gift (guest and friend) and the door prize. If there are a lot of people (last show was 20) then I'll draw a few names. She's already getting a SB from me for hosting, and $5 for every booking from people who can't make it. I think that is good enough.

And she KNOWS I don't have a lot of money, let alone more money to sink into this business at the moment. I don't think she realizes I have to buy the gifts and what not. I'll mention it to her though. ;)

Thanks again ladies! It helps to know I'm not the only one facing this and to know how others handle it. Sometimes a new perspective is what we need. I'll definitely use Sarah's wording and implement some of the other ideas (recipe cards, pretzel wreath, retired SB's, etc) eventually. :D
~Vicks

Vicks said:
Thank you ladies!!!

I have been blunt with her, to a point, maybe I need to be more clear. heh

She has been to and hosted other shows (mostly TW, CL, maybe MK) and is familiar with them. We have a really good friend who used to be a Consultant, and so I think she got really spoiled by what the other gal used to do. Plus, it's honestly just her personality. She is one of those that just HAS to keep up with the Joneses. Not just keep up, but be BETTER. :rolleyes: She sees it as a reflection of herself and she has to perform and put on the best show so everyone will think highly of her. She's getting better about things, but yikes. lol

I did tell her if she'd like to offer some small gifts as well to go ahead. I stuck to my guns and told her that I'd be doing the bring a friend she doesn't know gift (guest and friend) and the door prize. If there are a lot of people (last show was 20) then I'll draw a few names. She's already getting a SB from me for hosting, and $5 for every booking from people who can't make it. I think that is good enough.

And she KNOWS I don't have a lot of money, let alone more money to sink into this business at the moment. I don't think she realizes I have to buy the gifts and what not. I'll mention it to her though. ;)

Thanks again ladies! It helps to know I'm not the only one facing this and to know how others handle it. Sometimes a new perspective is what we need. I'll definitely use Sarah's wording and implement some of the other ideas (recipe cards, pretzel wreath, retired SB's, etc) eventually. :D
~Vicks

I did this at my last Body Shop party gave away a few bottles of wine, a DVD (chick flick) things that went with the theme but not something The BS sold. My consultant was thrilled and so were my guests.
I would just make sure to tell her to offer things that are NOT in our catalog as prizes if she does do this. Like maybe a few dry ingridents for a recipe , a apron, Starbucks gift cards, fancy chocolates something like that.
she'll look like a hero and you won't be out any $$ ;)

The pretzel wreath would be a great idea except you'll be spending so much time putting them together. Tell her that she is welcome to make the pretzel wreaths and give them away. I like the idea of doing recipe cards if you have some to give. I give citrus peelers, Season's Best, and I have pan scrapers. If you do all this giving at her show, then any hosts booking a show will also expect the same thing. I give the host a Season's Best and then I do one drawing and give away, ususally, a citrus peeler. I've been giving a gift to those bringing friends, but only have had to give two at one show. Hasn't happened before or since.
It will be hard for you to convince others that they want to be a consultant, too if you have to spend so much money giving things away or so much time making prizes. Be honest with your friend.

I'm so sorry Vicks you have had a problem with greedy hosts. I'm a newbie consultant myself and have had to deal with a few of the same issues. I never tell anyone, even my wife, what the prize will be for the party. I always do the bring a friend receive a free gift thing. But none of these items are too expensive. I believe if anyone were to make a rude comment I'd just take the item back.

You are going to just have to realize that there are always going to be rude people like that and move on. Not everyone is like that, however, so keep your chin up. :eek:

KG has a great name for people like this host: the Perpetually Offended. They get so hung up on things not meeting their (usually unrealistic and unsupported) expectations, that they fail to see all the good things around them. Sure, it would be great to be able to give lots of valuable prizes to everyone at the shows, but that's not a realistic thing to do. Unfortunately, the PO can't or won't see reason about it.

chefann said:
KG has a great name for people like this host: the Perpetually Offended. They get so hung up on things not meeting their (usually unrealistic and unsupported) expectations, that they fail to see all the good things around them. Sure, it would be great to be able to give lots of valuable prizes to everyone at the shows, but that's not a realistic thing to do. Unfortunately, the PO can't or won't see reason about it.

Hey I like that. Mind if I borrow the PO verbage? :D

I agree. There is just no satisfying some people.

You should probably feel free. Many of us stole that long ago and have been using it ever since.

I used to give out hostess gifts from my repeat pile and some of the things from the surprise packs at conferece until an August high maintenance host came along. I gave her a zester/scorer as a gift with her SB. When talking with her to close her show she asked if she could instead give away the zester to a neighbor's relative that came from out of town and get the Core 'n More from me. I was speechless-- how rude. I ended up giving her something else from my stash so I would not be out the money but that was only because she had a great show and I did not want to loose her as a customer. I was happy when her show wrapped up. After that the hostess gets a thank you and a SB.

There's an old saying, "Do a little more every day, and soon they'll expect you to do a little more every day."There are people who will spend their lives doing their best to get as much as possible out of everyone else.

I have had tons of parties from various home party systems and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but NO ONE allows the use of free dollars on the half price items. MAYBE some do on host bonus options, if offered, but I doubt it.

So...tell her to call around to other party systems and check it out if she expects more. I can tell you this, she'll be really surprised to find out that most systems charge sales tax AND shipping, even for the host, on the entire RETAIL VALUE of all incentive items, including free stuff. So...you could easily get $200.00 in free stuff, and think you are paying, say, $40.00 and then be shocked to add in the shipping and tax on the full $200.00. We have a system where you can simply use your free dollars, pay nothing for those products, and walk away from the other incentives, if you want too.

In regards to free stuff being demanded....there is NOTHING on our paperwork that says "bring a guest, get a gift"....we are able to develop our own gifting system that works for us as individuals. She does just sound like a greedy person.

I LOVE:love: :love: the Perpetually Offended phrase! I will use it at a training this next week.

You can't please everyone, nor should you try. I have a very successful biz and although I give away several door prizes per show (depending on the number of guests) I rarely give out anything extra to guests and only a few small items for the host.

Don't be bullied!

My guess is that if other reps are giving away lots of FREE gifts, it is discontinued merchandise that they have to stock in their personal inventory and they are doing whatever they can to unload it. Whenever I've gotten a free gift at another DS show, it's never been anything current.

bethsbiz said:
I have had tons of parties from various home party systems and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but NO ONE allows the use of free dollars on the half price items. MAYBE some do on host bonus options, if offered, but I doubt it.

So...tell her to call around to other party systems and check it out if she expects more. I can tell you this, she'll be really surprised to find out that most systems charge sales tax AND shipping, even for the host, on the entire RETAIL VALUE of all incentive items, including free stuff. So...you could easily get $200.00 in free stuff, and think you are paying, say, $40.00 and then be shocked to add in the shipping and tax on the full $200.00. We have a system where you can simply use your free dollars, pay nothing for those products, and walk away from the other incentives, if you want too.

In regards to free stuff being demanded....there is NOTHING on our paperwork that says "bring a guest, get a gift"....we are able to develop our own gifting system that works for us as individuals. She does just sound like a greedy person.

I LOVE:love: :love: the Perpetually Offended phrase! I will use it at a training this next week.

You can't please everyone, nor should you try. I have a very successful biz and although I give away several door prizes per show (depending on the number of guests) I rarely give out anything extra to guests and only a few small items for the host.

Don't be bullied!

No kidding, I just did a book party for another DS company, I got almost $150 in "free" product, plus one half price item and I ended up paying tax and shipping on the retail value of all of it...I spent about $20 out of pocket just for that stuff! I would have ordered more on my own, had I not had to pay T&S. (it was a rough month $ for me)..so that made me REALLY appreciate that we don't have our customers pay those extra costs!

1. How do I handle a host who wants to earn a lot of free products?

First, it's important to set clear expectations with your host from the beginning about the rewards they can earn through hosting a party. If they are expecting more than what is outlined in the host program, gently remind them of the agreed upon benefits. You can also offer alternative ways for them to earn additional rewards, such as booking more parties or referring friends.

2. What should I do if a host is pressuring me to give them more rewards?

It's important to remain professional and assertive in these situations. Let your host know that you appreciate their enthusiasm, but the host program benefits are non-negotiable. Offer to brainstorm other ways for them to earn rewards, such as by booking a second party or hosting a virtual party with friends and family.

3. How can I avoid a host expecting too much for free in the future?

Communication is key. Before agreeing to host a party, clearly outline the host program benefits and ask your host if they have any questions or concerns. You can also provide a written agreement for them to sign, stating the agreed upon rewards. If they still expect more than what is outlined, remind them of the signed agreement.

4. What if a host becomes upset or confrontational about the rewards they receive?

Stay calm and professional in these situations. Remind the host of the agreed upon rewards and offer to discuss any concerns or questions they may have. If necessary, involve a manager or higher-up in the company to help mediate the situation.

5. Is it ever acceptable to give a host more rewards than what is outlined in the host program?

In most cases, no. The host program benefits are set by the company and are meant to be fair and consistent for all hosts. However, if a host has gone above and beyond in their hosting duties or has brought in a significant amount of sales, you may consider offering a small additional reward as a gesture of appreciation. Just be sure to communicate this clearly and fairly with all hosts to avoid any misunderstandings or conflicts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies