• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making the Shift: The Decline of Phone Calls in Modern Communication

In summary, the conversation is about the decreasing use of phone calls in favor of other forms of communication such as email, text, and social media. Some people still prefer phone calls, but many are transitioning to these new methods of communication. The group discusses their personal preferences and experiences with using different forms of communication. Some are hesitant to use Twitter, while others find it annoying when people use it as a diary. Ultimately, the group agrees that it is important to ask individuals how they prefer to be contacted before reaching out to them.
Becca_in_MD
Gold Member
Interesting article about no one using the phone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/fashion/20Cultural.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I guess we should "make" our e-mails and texts instead of phone calls.

WOW. THis is so true but not quite... Some people are still glad to hear a friendly voice at the end of the phone. When I call I often hear the"who the heck is calling" tone in the "hello" but then when I say who I am they sound genuinely happy to talk (or to hear from me if they're too busy right now).

I do know that a lot of people would agree with this article though. My husband hates to talk on the phone (except to his brothers or dad). Some of my sons don't do the phone either. One of them didn't text or FB either until recently - talk about hard to get in touch with (and not just to me - he didn't talk to anyone he wasn't face-to-face with). Funny, he's coming around now and will talk to me on the phone for an hour at a time when he wouldn't consider that before...

I have a friend in her later 20's who doesn't use the phone either. She sells Willow House and she wonders why she doesn't have any business.

I'll keep using the phone for now but I do have unlimited texting on my phone and I'm on FB so I'm ready for the change... ...I have no clue about Twitter though, I guess that's next. lol

Eek! Twitter? Don't send me there, Beth.:)

I'm not giving up the phone, either. I just have to try all avenues more, starting at the show asking which is the best way to reach them. I really don't use my cell phone, but I'm about to try texting 2 missing upcoming hosts since they have not responded to voicemail or e-mail.

I closed a show the other day. I joked with the host that I had an anxiety attack calling her. We had used the phone for host coaching just fine. But at her show, she was ranting about this fundraising firm that called her 6 times a night on her landline even though she had asked to be taken off of their list. It opened a discussion with the guests about how they don't give out either cell or landline # or don't even had a landline. An upcoming host has only been in touch by e-mail, incl. picking her date. Another only responded to FB messages.

This is so true. I ask how they prefer to be contacted now...facebook/text/email/phone. I did phone sales for 13 years and prefer to NOT use the phone if I do not have to! I know what I want to say and be done but that does not always happen! Sometimes, I don't feel like having a conversation either. I am sure I am not alone. It is the new way. Most younger ladies I have worked with do not call at all! They mostly text and facebook now! Calls are emergencies!! They still get together with their buddies and all but everyone seems to have way too much going on now to be on the phone!

I know my preferences are 1. Phone, 2 E-mail, 3 Facebook

I let people know that they can send me texts as my carrier has free incoming texts (which is nice because I can't control who will text me), but I do not have a texting plan and will call them back.

At this point, I won't do Twitter. Too many people out there use twitter like a diary. I really don't care that you are up for the day, jumping in the shower, eating breakfast, off to work, on lunch, home from work, settling down with a beer and tonight's favorite show, and off to bed..... People who do that on Facebook get blocked by me.

I prefer phone, email, then text. I do not use Facebook and while annoying to most hosts I keep getting declined for an account. Although, I still hand write letters to people at least once a year so I don't know that I would use FB too much anyway.I personnally get annoyed with my friends who shoot me a text. It is one thing to pass along info via text but I do not like having a whole coversation like that and I will call people back after I receive a text that sounds like they want a conversation.

ChefCKHall said:
This is so true. I ask how they prefer to be contacted now...facebook/text/email/phone. I did phone sales for 13 years and prefer to NOT use the phone if I do not have to! I know what I want to say and be done but that does not always happen! Sometimes, I don't feel like having a conversation either. I am sure I am not alone. It is the new way. Most younger ladies I have worked with do not call at all! They mostly text and facebook now! Calls are emergencies!! They still get together with their buddies and all but everyone seems to have way too much going on now to be on the phone!

Totally agree. I would much rather use FB or Email to communicate. FB makes it possible to have a conversation, but at the same time, if I want to stop to read a story and tuck my son in bed, I can...and then go back to the conversation I was having. I have noticed a HUGE trend in my hosts wanting to communicate that way too. I've had many of them tell me to just find them on FB because that's the best way to get a hold of them and leave messages for them, etc...
What I like best is that I don't have to worry about if it's a good time to be calling, or if I'm getting them in the middle of something important. It works out great.

ChefBeckyD said:
Totally agree. I would much rather use FB or Email to communicate. FB makes it possible to have a conversation, but at the same time, if I want to stop to read a story and tuck my son in bed, I can...and then go back to the conversation I was having. I have noticed a HUGE trend in my hosts wanting to communicate that way too. I've had many of them tell me to just find them on FB because that's the best way to get a hold of them and leave messages for them, etc...
What I like best is that I don't have to worry about if it's a good time to be calling, or if I'm getting them in the middle of something important. It works out great.

So, true! I hate playing phone tag. I'd rather send messages back & forth.

I am phonaphobic and much prefer e-mail and FB messaging. I do much better putting things in writing whereas when speaking I miss a lot. But I feel like so much of HO and other training focuses on making that personal contact. OK, y'all have just given me permission to focus more on electronic communication. Need to integrate this into my dialogue at the show. It's almost worth going back to my own door prize slips and asking which method they prefer for being contacted.

Becca_in_MD said:
I am phonaphobic and much prefer e-mail and FB messaging. I do much better putting things in writing whereas when speaking I miss a lot. But I feel like so much of HO and other training focuses on making that personal contact. OK, y'all have just given me permission to focus more on electronic communication. Need to integrate this into my dialogue at the show. It's almost worth going back to my own door prize slips and asking which method they prefer for being contacted.

Becca - I have them mark on their slip if they FB. Then I send a friend request within a few days of the party. I also have them put T if they text!

I just need to remember to ask about FB and texting. After 7 years in biz, I have some habits very strongly ingrained and they're hard to break.

How about something like this?

Attachments

• Door Prize slips FB-Text-email.doc
    33 KB · Views: 707
I likey, Noora! Thanks!

I did my own door prize slips for a while. I don't think it made much difference. It was a pain as I was rushing out the door to run off more if I didn't have enough. And, I thought it made it look like being a consultant was more work than it needs to be. I was doing my own when the company door prize slips took the catalog show option off. I do my own unique slips for the bridal fair and on those I ask their preferred method of contact. I usually ask people at a show if it's OK to call them during the day. Just have to pay more attention to the contact info and take an extra 30 seconds to talk about preferred method and time.

My April 1 host who has not responded to voicemail or e-mail since setting her date, not even getting me her invite list so I haven't given her a packet yet, replied to a text today within a minute. Says the show is still on even though she's out of town right now for work. I'm waiting til tonight to text her to see when she gets back to town. Thankfully she lives in my town and should be at an event this Sat. night. She's my first booking in our new town/school. I really want it to work.

i have found that my hosts prefer NOT to talk on the phone especially those who work outside of the home....if they have questions it's always and e-mail or text or facebook....a lot of times when i call they really sound annoyed so i always ask now and do most of my hostess coaching in e-mails....
carla

Many of my hosts do 99% of their invitations and such via text/email/facebook/PWS. I have not had a problem with it. I'm so busy it's easier for me, too.

I'm a texter..I like texting because they can get back to me when they have time. I hate using the phone anymore. my landline hardly ever rings, unless it's my mom, who is not a good texter yet. I'm trying to teach her. LOL! In this day and age, and technology the way it is, it seems more people are used to getting text messages and don't have a problem conducting business in this manner. Which is definitely fine by me!! =)

Related to Making the Shift: The Decline of Phone Calls in Modern Communication

1. Why do you think nobody calls anymore?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One is that people are increasingly using alternative forms of communication, such as texting or social media, to stay in touch. Another reason could be the rise of telemarketing and spam calls, leading people to be more hesitant to answer unknown numbers. Additionally, many people are busy and prefer to communicate on their own time, rather than through a phone call.

2. How can I encourage my friends and family to call me more often?

One way to encourage more phone calls is to lead by example and make an effort to call your friends and family more often. You can also let them know that you enjoy talking on the phone and would appreciate a call every now and then. Another idea is to plan phone call dates or set specific times to catch up with loved ones over the phone.

3. Is it considered rude to not answer phone calls?

It ultimately depends on the situation and your relationship with the person calling. If it's someone you regularly communicate with and you're simply busy at the moment, it's not necessarily rude to not answer and call them back later. However, if it's a professional or important call, it's generally considered polite to answer or at least call back as soon as possible.

4. Are there any benefits to making phone calls instead of texting or emailing?

Phone calls can be more personal and allow for more immediate and direct communication. They also eliminate the potential for misinterpretation that can occur through written communication. Additionally, phone calls can be more efficient for certain tasks, such as making plans or discussing important matters.

5. How can I make my phone calls more productive and meaningful?

One way to make your phone calls more productive is to have a clear purpose or agenda in mind before making the call. This can help keep the conversation focused and ensure that you cover all the important points. It's also helpful to actively listen and engage in the conversation, rather than multitasking or being distracted. Finally, try to end the call with a clear next step or plan for follow-up, if necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cincychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cincychef
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
Replies
Views
annew