• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Low Fat Trifle Recipe: Angel Food Cake, Berries, and Pudding Mousse

In summary, the woman is doing a low fat/calorie trifle tonight for a show and has angel food cake, 2 pts of strawberries, a pt of raspberries, a package of sugar free cheesecake pudding plus skim milk, and 2 8 oz cool whips. She plans to do two layers of cake, top the cake with berries, then the pudding mixture. She wants to make a pudding mouse, so how to mix? She is thinking the package of pudding with 1 cup milk, fold in 8 oz of cool whip. Does that sound about right? Any ideas?
dwyerkim
I am doing a low fat/calorie trifle tonight for a show. I have angel food cake, 2 pts of strawberries, a pt of raspberries, a package of sugar free cheesecake pudding plus skim milk, and 2 8 oz cool whips. I plan to do two layers of cake, top the cake with berries, then the pudding mixture. I want to make a pudding mouse, so how to mix? I'm thinking the package of pudding with 1 cup milk, fold in 8 oz of cool whip? I would then use the other package of cool whip to decorate the top.l Does that sound about right? Any ideas? Some of the other recipes i've looked at use two boxes of pudding... which I dont' have but could get if it is a must.

Yep that is perfect! I fold cool whip in to my pudding for trifles quite a bit. And I do 1 in the pudding and leave the 2nd for the top (decorate with the EAD of course!)And save a few berries to garnish the top!

I think that that should work. I think the other ones taht call for 2 boxes of pudding also tell you to fold in 16 oz so I think that since you are only going to fold in 8 oz 1 box should be good enough.

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I will try and cut strawberries in half and line the bowl with strawberry "hearts". I also should go snip some mint from my garden for a garnish along with a few berries! Thanks for the reassurance... I just discovered (duh on me for not checking) that this woman's house is a lot farther from mine than I thought so I am a little less than thrilled... so good to know my dessert won't flop!

dwyerkim said:
Thanks for the quick responses! I think I will try and cut strawberries in half and line the bowl with strawberry "hearts". I also should go snip some mint from my garden for a garnish along with a few berries! Thanks for the reassurance... I just discovered (duh on me for not checking) that this woman's house is a lot farther from mine than I thought so I am a little less than thrilled... so good to know my dessert won't flop!

I always demo the core 'n more to take out the tops and then slice them in the egg slicer...that always sells a few egg slicers....

janetupnorth said:
I always demo the core 'n more to take out the tops and then slice them in the egg slicer...that always sells a few egg slicers....
And don't forget to make a fanned strawberry for a granish. Leave the green top on the strawberry and put it on the egg slicer with the green down, then slice almost all the way through the strawberry leaving the last bit intact. Take it out of the slicer and spread the slices out to make a fan shape. It always gets a wow!

Do not decorate the top with the cool whip until you get there....or else it will melt! I always do that as part of my demo (I do an entire recipe on top of a dessert).....then fan a strawberry or grate some chocolate on top (depending on what I'm making)

Yeah, I'm saving the assembly until we get there (esp. since I have at least a one hour drive in traffic, sigh). I made the mouse, ripped up most of the cake, and washed and sliced all but 5 strawberries. At the show I will have them use the spinner to wash the raspberries, cut up the rest of the cake with the bread knife, use the core and more and slicer on the berries, and use the EAD to add the cool whip to the top. Maybe I will grab a few chips and demo the microplane grater...thanks for the ideas!

What is a trifle?

A trifle is a layered dessert typically made with sponge cake, custard, fruit, and whipped cream. It is served in a large glass bowl or trifle dish and can be customized with a variety of flavors and ingredients.

What are some common mistakes people make when making a trifle?

Some common mistakes people make when making a trifle include not letting the cake or other layers cool completely before assembling, using ingredients that are too wet or soggy, and not allowing enough time for the flavors to meld together in the refrigerator.

Can I use any type of cake for a trifle?

Yes, you can use a variety of cakes for a trifle, such as sponge cake, pound cake, angel food cake, or even brownies. Just make sure the cake is sturdy enough to hold up to the layers and won't become too soggy.

How far in advance can I make a trifle?

You can make a trifle up to 24 hours in advance. However, it is best to assemble the trifle no more than 4-6 hours before serving to prevent the layers from becoming too soggy.

What can I use as a substitute for custard in a trifle?

If you don't have custard on hand, you can use instant pudding mix or whipped cream as a substitute. You can also make a homemade custard using eggs, milk, and sugar if you have the time and ingredients available.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Michelle817