• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Healthy Trail Mix Recipe for Kids?

In summary, the Recipe for Healthy Trail Mix requires rolled oats, unsalted nuts (such as almonds, cashews, and walnuts), unsalted pumpkin seeds, unsalted sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and dark chocolate chips. You can use any unsalted nuts of your choice, such as peanuts, pecans, or hazelnuts. The trail mix can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for longer shelf life. Other dried fruits, such as raisins, cherries, or blueberries, can be substituted for the cranberries and apricots. This trail mix is suitable for those with dietary restrictions, as it can
ChefDebi
Does anyone have a recipe for healthy trail mix? I want to try it out at my kids cooking show this weekend. Thanks!!

Try one of these... hope they help! :)

Trail Mix Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2007
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Whithering Bites

7 ounces dried fruit, approximately 3 cups
5 ounces mixed nuts, approximately 1 cup
3 1/2 ounces granola, approximately 1 cup

Combine the fruit, nuts and granola in a large bowl. To store trail mix, place in an airtight glass container. Keep container in a cool dry place for up to 1 month.
Cook's Note: Fruit dried at home should be pliable, but not sticky and you should not be able to squeeze moisture from it. If the mixture becomes soft overnight, your fruit is not dry enough.

Lip Smackin' Trail Mix Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Campfire Cooking

2 cups granola (recommended: Hudson Valley Dessert Company)
3/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
3/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (meat only)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 cup banana chips (optional)
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except banana chips and raisins, cherries and apricots. Mix well. Spread evenly in an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven; stir in banana chips, raisins, cherries and apricots. Cool thoroughly. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Thanks Kacey! This is great! It's just what I was looking for!

1. What ingredients do I need for the Recipe for Healthy Trail Mix?

The ingredients for the Recipe for Healthy Trail Mix are: rolled oats, unsalted nuts (such as almonds, cashews, and walnuts), unsalted pumpkin seeds, unsalted sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, dried apricots, and dark chocolate chips.

2. Can I use different types of nuts in this trail mix?

Yes, you can use any unsalted nuts of your choice in this recipe. Some options include peanuts, pecans, and hazelnuts.

3. How do I store the Healthy Trail Mix?

The trail mix can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. It can also be stored in the freezer for longer shelf life.

4. Can I substitute the dried fruit in this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute the dried cranberries and apricots for other dried fruits such as raisins, cherries, or blueberries.

5. Is this trail mix suitable for those with dietary restrictions?

The Recipe for Healthy Trail Mix is suitable for individuals with nut allergies if the nuts are omitted. It is also gluten-free and can be made vegan by using dairy-free chocolate chips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JennyJennJen
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
JennyJennJen
  • ChefDebi
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • sarahsellcm