• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Homemade Granola Recipe - Healthy & Cheap!

In summary, there are several recipes available for homemade granola bars, including a recipe for ABQ Journal Snack Bars that incorporates fruit and a Nutty Granola Recipe from Ellie Krieger. There is also a recipe for Cherry, Almond, and Cinnamon Granola from Ina Garten, as well as a recipe for No-Bake Granola Bars that can easily be customized to personal preferences. Additionally, there is a recipe for homemade Lara Bars that can be found on the blog Enlightened Cooking.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I'm looking to make some homemade granola. Does anyone have a good healthy recipe that make at home? I love Mojo bars that have raisins, pretzels, chocolate chips and more in them but DH thought it might be cheaper to make it ourselves (well for me to make it for us!).

Not exactly "granola", but a great granola type snack bar...

ABQ Journal Snack Bars

Start to finish: 2 hours (20 minutes active)

Servings: 16 bars

1/3 cup orange juice

2 tbsp cornstarch

2 tbsp, plus ½ cup packed light brown sugar, divided

1 ½ cups frozen or fresh raspberries

1 ½ cups diced frozen or fresh peaches

1 ½ cups quick-rolled oats

¾ cups all-purpose flour

½ cup butter, softened

1 tsp baking soda

1 large egg, lightly beaten

In a medium saucepan, whisk the orange juice, cornstarch and 2 tbsp of the brown sugar. Add the raspberries and peaches, then stir over medium-high heat until the mixture is simmering and thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the head and set aside to cool.

Heat oven to 350 F. coat a 7 x 11 inch (or 9 x 9 inch) baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, butter and baking soda. Mix with a fork until dough is crumbly but beginning to hold together. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.

Mix the egg into the dough remaining in the bowl. Transfer the dough with the egg to the prepared baking dish and press it evenly over the bottom. Spread the fruit filling on top, then sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over it.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling. Transfer the dish to a wire rack to cool, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 bars.

PER SERVING: 155 calories; 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat); 26 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbs; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 87 mg sodium.

I got this recipe from Becky. It's one of The Furry Guy's favorites.No-Bake Granola Bars1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 serving chocolate chips (about a handful)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 crunchy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extractIn a mixing bowl, mix the oats, rice cereal, and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.In a microwaveable dish, heat the corn syrup and brown sugar (about a minute or two) until melted and mix together well. Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. This will also serve to cool the mixture enough before you add it to the cereal.With a spatula or spoon, scoop the mixture into the cereal and fold in until everything is coated evenly.With the spatula or the back of the spoon, press the granola mixture into the greased pan until packed firmly. How well you pack it in determines how well the granola bar holds together later.Let the pan sit about ten minutes until cooled and then cut into 8 pieces.Notes:
I triple the recipe and make it in the Large Bar Pan. I also cut them smaller.I don’t grease the pan. I cover it with parchment paper. It makes it easier because I can just lift the whole thing out to cut it.I also put a piece of parchment on top and use the Meat Tenderizer to press the mixture into the pan. Works great.

Last edited:
Oh, and this blog has a recipe for making your own Lara Bars. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it sounds good.http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/

Oh, and this blog has a recipe for making your own Lara Bars. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it sounds good.

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/

raebates said:
I got this recipe from Becky. It's one of The Furry Guy's favorites.

No-Bake Granola Bars

In a mixing bowl, mix the oats, rice cereal, and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.

In a microwaveable dish, heat the corn syrup and brown sugar (about a minute or two) until melted and mix together well. Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. This will also serve to cool the mixture enough before you add it to the cereal.

With a spatula or spoon, scoop the mixture into the cereal and fold in until everything is coated evenly.

With the spatula or the back of the spoon, press the granola mixture into the greased pan until packed firmly. How well you pack it in determines how well the granola bar holds together later.

Let the pan sit about ten minutes until cooled and then cut into 8 pieces.

Notes:
I triple the recipe and make it in the Large Bar Pan. I also cut them smaller.

I don’t grease the pan. I cover it with parchment paper. It makes it easier because I can just lift the whole thing out to cut it.

I also put a piece of parchment on top and use the Meat Tenderizer to press the mixture into the pan. Works great.

Sounds yummy.....do you have the measurements for the ingredients ;)

Cheers:)

I would love the quantities of this no bake granola too! Where are you Chef Becky??? hehehe!
~Abigail

Sorry, I thought I'd included those. Geez!Here the are, and I've fixed the original post. 1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 serving chocolate chips (about a handful)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 crunchy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mmmm... I've been making homemade granola regularly for the past couple months - my husband and I are almost addicted!Here's the recipe:
Mix together:
4 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 pecans (or replace the nuts with your favorite)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (or 1/4 cup coconut and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamonBring to a boil:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honeyTake off heat and add:
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange (this is why you NEED to the microplane adjustable grater!)Mix together syrup and granola mixture. Spread on pans covered with parchment paper.Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.Let cool, then break into chunks and and 2 cups dried fruit of your choice (I'm using dried cranberries right now).The citrusy flavor of this is just awesome... I've given so much of this away as gifts as well (in a little plastic bag, sealed with a twixit!)Enjoy!

these all sound great! Thanks for sharing

cheflorraine said:
Mmmm... I've been making homemade granola regularly for the past couple months - my husband and I are almost addicted!

Here's the recipe:
Mix together:
4 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Bring to a boil:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey

Take off heat and add:
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange (this is why you NEED to the microplane adjustable grater!)

Mix together syrup and granola mixture. Spread on pans covered with parchment paper.

Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Let cool, then break into chunks and and 2 cups dried fruit of your choice (I'm using dried cranberries right now).

The citrusy flavor of this is just awesome... I've given so much of this away as gifts as well (in a little plastic bag, sealed with a twixit!)

Enjoy!

This sounds absolutely amazing! Thanks so much!

cheflorraine said:
Mmmm... I've been making homemade granola regularly for the past couple months - my husband and I are almost addicted!

Here's the recipe:
Mix together:
4 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Bring to a boil:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey

Take off heat and add:
Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange (this is why you NEED to the microplane adjustable grater!)

Mix together syrup and granola mixture. Spread on pans covered with parchment paper.

Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Let cool, then break into chunks and and 2 cups dried fruit of your choice (I'm using dried cranberries right now).

The citrusy flavor of this is just awesome... I've given so much of this away as gifts as well (in a little plastic bag, sealed with a twixit!)

Enjoy!

What kind of almonds do you use? Whole, chopped, slivered, sliced? And if you chop them, is it fine or coarse? Thanks! :) These sound really good!

babywings76 said:
What kind of almonds do you use? Whole, chopped, slivered, sliced? And if you chop them, is it fine or coarse? Thanks! :) These sound really good!

I use whole, unsalted almonds. Somehow it's the best way to get that awesome crunch from the nuts!

1. What ingredients do I need to make homemade granola?

To make homemade granola, you will need rolled oats, nuts, seeds, sweetener, oil, and any additional mix-ins such as dried fruit or chocolate chips.

2. What type of sweetener should I use for a healthier option?

We recommend using a natural sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar for a healthier option. These options are less processed and provide additional nutrients.

3. Can I substitute ingredients in the granola recipe?

Yes, you can substitute ingredients based on your personal preferences or dietary restrictions. For example, you can use gluten-free oats or swap out nuts for seeds. Just keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary slightly.

4. How do I store homemade granola?

Once the granola has cooled, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. You can also freeze it for up to three months.

5. Can I add protein powder to the granola recipe?

Yes, you can add protein powder to your homemade granola for an extra boost of protein. Just be sure to mix it in with the wet ingredients before baking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
meganmcg
  • Intrepid_Chef