• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Life Imitates Art - I Double-Dog Dare You to Read This!

In summary, two fourth-grade boys at Jackson Elementary School in Chesterton, Indiana got the idea to stick their tongues to the flagpole on a cold winter day, similar to a scene in the movie "A Christmas Story." The boys were in pain and embarrassed, and their mothers were shocked and amused by their actions. The school nurse had never seen an injury like this before.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Boys and girls, can you spell M-O-R-O-N? http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/images/smilies/duh.gif

Double-dog dare doesn't work out for 2 kids

BY HEATHER AUGUSTYN
Times Correspondent | Saturday, January 26, 2008 |
Link: http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2008/01/26/news/top_news/doc1bcbc32da2b0aab0862573dc00097f23.txt

CHESTERTON | Single-digit temperatures brought a scene right out of the movie "A Christmas Story" to two students at Jackson Elementary School on Friday morning.

The two fourth-grade boys, who served flag duty to raise and lower the flag for the school, stuck their tongues to the flagpole and spent the rest of the day in pain and embarrassment.

"The nurse called us and said the boys' tongues were bleeding," said Billie Dempsey, mother of Gavin Dempsey, who celebrated his 10th birthday Friday.

"The nurse asked them, 'OK, who double-dog dared who?' But they weren't admitting to what they did and said they just bit their tongues. When she told me there were a couple of layers taken off, I thought, 'Oh no, he's on flagpole duty,'" Dempsey said.

When she arrived at the school, her son admitted to what he did.

"My tongue still sort of hurts from what I did. I decided to try it because I thought all of the TV shows were lies, but turns out I was wrong," Gavin Dempsey said.

Karen Alexander, mother of James Alexander, laughs when asked about the event.

"I thought it was pretty silly of him. I asked him where he got the idea, and he said 'The Christmas Story.' I can't believe he did it, but they learned their lesson," she said.

James said he plans on eating a lot of ice cream to help nurse his wound.

"When you're young, you're just messing around," he said.

Billie Dempsey said the school nurse could not recall having an injury like this at the school.

"You don't think your own kid would do something like this," she said with a laugh.

Obviously, those kids don't watch "Mythbusters." In a winter-themed episode, they confirmed the tongue-on-a-flagpole myth.

Obviously, experience is non transferable.

What is "Life Imitates Art - I Double-Dog Dare You to Read This!" about?

"Life Imitates Art - I Double-Dog Dare You to Read This!" is a collection of humorous and thought-provoking essays written by author and artist, Alicia Garey. It explores the connections between art and real life, and how one can inspire the other.

Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is perfect for anyone who loves to laugh, think, and appreciate the little things in life. It will especially appeal to fans of creative writing, art, and humor.

What inspired the author to write this book?

Alicia Garey has always been fascinated by the relationship between art and life. She wanted to share her observations and experiences through her unique blend of humor and storytelling.

Are there any illustrations or artwork included in the book?

Yes, the book features illustrations and artwork created by the author herself. They add an extra layer of creativity and humor to the essays.

Where can I purchase a copy of "Life Imitates Art - I Double-Dog Dare You to Read This!"?

The book is available for purchase on the Pampered Chef website, as well as major online retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookingwith_tara
  • tlag1986