• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lessons Learned at a Flea Market

In summary, the booth was very successful in attracting people, but it was not profitable. Lesson Learned: 1) Know your market and 2) Find a happy medium with your products.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I am posting this in "Increasing Sales" because that was my objective when I went to this flea market ... and I think there are things I learned there that all of us can apply to our business in some way.

I and two of my cluster-mates worked a booth at a flea market over Memorial Day weekend. I just had my hours cut at my FT job, Clustermate 1 just had a baby and was looking to make money again, and Clustermate 2 was forced into early retirement. Did we make a profit? Absolutely not! Was it profitable? Absolutely!

Lesson 1: Know your market!

Clustermate 1 went with me on Friday, while Clustermate 2 went with me on Saturday. Now what we didn't know was that business is typically slow on Fridays, because that particular market was not open until Fridays until this year. We hardly had anyone walk by our table on Friday, and felt like we were pulling teeth! We did have a few people express interest, but not many. Saturday, it was wall to wall people! Also ... it is an early morning market ... Clustermate 1 arrived by about 9:30 or 10 ... Clustermate 2 arrived about an hour later on Saturday ... and it was so crazy busy I barely had a chance to greet her!

Lesson 2: "Free Cooking Show" drawings don't work!

Now, why didn't I remember that in my "pre-PC" days, I walked right past those drawings? In a previous booth we ran, we did drawings for baskets and got lots of interest ... but not all people who entered were interested in PC in the least! This time, we both decided that it was a pain to get baskets to the winner, so we opted for a "free show" drawing.

It was pretty easy to see that people won't enter those drawings because they feel obligated to hold a show. I found that Clustermate 2's idea (If you just fill out this slip we'll give you a free recipe card) worked so much better.

Lesson 3: Find a happy medium!

Clustermate 1 (who recruited me) has a personality that more closely matches mine. There is not a "pushy" bone in her body. She greets the person, tries to assess their level of interest, and waits for THEM to bring up the idea of a show.

Clustermate 2, meanwhile, is the Energizer Bunny who sometimes can't find the "off" button. The second someone comes up to the booth, she starts talking up theme shows, catalog shows and the like .... and doesn't quite get the hint when the person clearly is not interested in any kind of show.

On the advice of my director, the next time I work a booth, I will be friendly, outgoing, greet people and ask if they are familiar with Pampered Chef and when the last time was they went to a show, and go from there.

Lesson 4: Bring plenty of mini-catalogs!

I had tons of them before the flea market, now I have like 2 to my name! Also, be stingy with the big catalogs ... Clustermate 2 (who had only spring catalogs, so I had to put out the same) seemed a little eager to give the new catalogs away ... so now I have like 4 of them left!

Lesson 5: Apply Sunscreen!

Even on your lips (Avon lip balm with SPF 15) and ears! 'Nuff said!

thanks so much for sharing :)

Sorry to hear it wasn't "financially" good but that you came away with something!

Yeah ... but here was the breakdown:* $35 in general cash and carry sold ... which must be replaced per our director ... I gave these orders to Clustermate 1, as she got the raw end of the stick, and as she needed only $30 in orders to close out her show.
* $20 plus in other general cash and carry ... things like mini-whippers, Seasons Best and paring knives ... however, both of us spent more than $40 in supply orders for this festival and others.
* Also ... we WAY overpaid for the space because we sub-leased from my brother. If you are going to get a booth in the flea market, you must either leave a vehicle parked in the space or pay up well in advance. None of us has a vehicle we can be without overnight!HOWEVER ... I got one definite booking and two tentative bookings, though none for June. Clustermate 2 also got 2 JUNE bookings ... but one was a contact who wanted to reschedule that she ran into at the Flea Market. We all got books and business cards handed out ... so we shall see.

have you done your follow-up calls yet -- to the people who filled out slips?? There might be some interested parties there, if you make the calls.

Wow thank you for such a detailed break down, some thing to totally think about, it would be interesting after you follow up calls to see you you can get more bookings for show...good luck

Di: Thank you so much for the info. Our cluster does a summer festival and, I agree, it is hard sometimes to catch up with the winner of the basket give-away. We also have tried the "Free Show" idea and that didn't work either. But...I love the idea of the FREE recipe card. We usually just have them sitting on the table for any takers. I am going to pass this on to my other cluster mates and see what they think. Thank you again,

Pat

People who filled out slips? All 3 of them?Two did not post a phone number ... one didn't even provide a phone number, but she works near me, so I'll probably stop by the store and track her down.I like what somebody else posted about having a "prize wheel" and we may build one for future festivals.

Just remembered another lesson:Lesson 6: Do those morning after and customer service calls!One lady came up to us looking for a wisk. After we said we only had the mini kind, she said she'd contact the host of the show she just went to last night. Whe she got home and talked to her daughter, she said they needed a wisk. Now, she may have been on vacation but still ... she's willing to buy a wisk from me, a stranger, rather than from her friend who hosted a show?One person booked a show with me, then mentioned she had a consultant who usually does her parties. So again, why is she willing to book with me, a stranger? I never would have booked it had I known she was already being served by a sister consultant. And obviously, there is some reason she's looking for a new one! Maybe because I live closeer to where she wants to have the show!

Di_Can_Cook said:
People who filled out slips? All 3 of them?

Two did not post a phone number ... one didn't even provide a phone number, but she works near me, so I'll probably stop by the store and track her down.

I like what somebody else posted about having a "prize wheel" and we may build one for future festivals.
Oh yes... the prize wheel at our trade show a few weeks ago was GREAT!
really created interest, and everyone would stop and watch when someone was spinning!

prize wheel ?details please- I will be doing a Farmer's market all Summer, and am interested

Somebody posted about using one in the summer festivals thread ... you have images of various $10 items like the mix and chop, stainless wisk, etc. and put them on a wheel ... and when people ask what they have to do to spin the wheel, tell them that they just have to book a show, and that is the item they'll get with their show order.

1. What inspired you to write about lessons learned at a flea market?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I have attended numerous flea markets to showcase our products. I have always been fascinated by the unique atmosphere and the valuable lessons I learned from interacting with both customers and other vendors.

2. What are some of the most common lessons learned at a flea market?

Some of the most common lessons include the importance of building relationships, being adaptable and flexible, and the power of storytelling to sell products. Additionally, vendors often learn the value of being organized and prepared, as well as the importance of standing out from the competition.

3. How can these lessons be applied in a direct sales business like Pampered Chef?

The lessons learned at a flea market can easily be applied in a direct sales business like Pampered Chef. Building relationships with customers through personalized interactions, being adaptable to their needs, and using storytelling to showcase the benefits of our products can greatly increase sales and customer satisfaction.

4. Can you share a specific example of a lesson learned at a flea market?

One of the most memorable lessons I learned at a flea market was the power of offering samples. I noticed that vendors who offered samples of their products were able to attract more customers and make more sales. This taught me the importance of letting customers try our products before making a purchase, leading to an increase in sales and customer loyalty.

5. How can attending a flea market benefit a Pampered Chef consultant?

Attending a flea market can benefit a Pampered Chef consultant in many ways. It provides an opportunity to network and build relationships with potential customers, learn from other vendors, and gain experience in sales and marketing. It also allows consultants to showcase and sell products in a new and different environment, potentially reaching a new audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tiffanypc05
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
  • jessica.rene09
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
raebates
  • memphisbarbie