• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Leapster 2 for Christmas: Best Deals and Tips for Buying the Perfect Gift

In summary, the Leapster Tag is a computer that is meant for children with autism. It is meant to be used for reading books aloud.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Okay I don't have kids but I'll be buying a Leapster for Christmas for my almost 5 year old niece (holy cow there is no way she's going to be 5!). I'm checking out Amazon and I see three different kinds - regular Leapster, Leapster 2 and Leapster Explorer. The Leapster 2 is more in my price range plus then I could get her a case to go with it for the price. Amazon has the pink Leapster 2 for around $40. I'll also be getting her some games since her birthday is before the end of the year. Anyone have any tips or thoughts on this since I have NO CLUE what exactly I'm looking at :)

I had this same problem with my niece this year too. We ended up going with the Leapster Explorer but I really don't have a good reason why. But I can tell you the Leapster2 is in Walmart's black friday ad for $25. *Okay so I just read one of your other posts about not black friday shopping. But when you decide which one you want to get you might look at the prices on walmart.comJoLynn

Last edited:
Yah no black friday shopping for me, I have to work. Unless I can find someone to go for me!

My older child has a regular Leapster. I think the one my younger one has is a Leapster 2. I don't know about the Explorer. We've never used the extra features on the Leapster 2, ie. the ability to connect to the web. I'm sure many other people do. If that's the one that fits in your price range, get it. My 8 year old only plays with her DS now. My son turns 6 in January and will be getting a DSi. You will probably hear my daughter scream b/c she has been asking for a DSi for over a year and thinks she'll get one for Christmas. The Leapster is good, but your niece will be done with it in a few years. I'm sure once my son gets his DS, the Leapster will not get used at all. I'll have to try to sell them on eBay or Craigslist.

Oh, if your niece's family doesn't have rechargeable batteries and a charger, get them one!!!! The Leapster goes through batteries like crazy.

Make sure the games are in your niece's age range. My 6 yr old had a Leapster since she was 3 and she seemed to outgrow the games, so we went w/ the Leapster Didj, it was a bit more age appropriate for her and the games adapt do the childs ability.
Just a little tip, I would hate for you to get the Leapster and next year she doesn't want to play it anymore.

Becca_in_MD said:
My older child has a regular Leapster. I think the one my younger one has is a Leapster 2. I don't know about the Explorer. We've never used the extra features on the Leapster 2, ie. the ability to connect to the web. I'm sure many other people do. If that's the one that fits in your price range, get it. My 8 year old only plays with her DS now. My son turns 6 in January and will be getting a DSi. You will probably hear my daughter scream b/c she has been asking for a DSi for over a year and thinks she'll get one for Christmas. The Leapster is good, but your niece will be done with it in a few years. I'm sure once my son gets his DS, the Leapster will not get used at all. I'll have to try to sell them on eBay or Craigslist.

Oh, if your niece's family doesn't have rechargeable batteries and a charger, get them one!!!! The Leapster goes through batteries like crazy.

I was actually going to get the power cord too just in case. Her older brother and sister have game boys but she's just not into them.

chefsteph07 said:
Make sure the games are in your niece's age range. My 6 yr old had a Leapster since she was 3 and she seemed to outgrow the games, so we went w/ the Leapster Didj, it was a bit more age appropriate for her and the games adapt do the childs ability.
Just a little tip, I would hate for you to get the Leapster and next year she doesn't want to play it anymore.
I'll check into the Didj also, thanks for the heads up.

ok...not trying to take over this thread but does anyone know anything about the Leapster Tag? It is suppose to "read" books aloud. My granddaugther has been diagnosed with autism and she loves computer stuff, phones, movies, etc. and I want to get her something that will be fun but also a learning tool. She is 5 but her social and language skills are at a 3 year old level (I'm guessing because its been awhile since my kids were that small). Any suggestions would be helpful.

No a problem Shawna!

I think I am going with the pink and purple Leapster 2 I found on Amazon. I can also get her a case too! I found a $5 off game coupon on Leapster.com that I plan on using for her birthday.

Shawnna said:
ok...not trying to take over this thread but does anyone know anything about the Leapster Tag? It is suppose to "read" books aloud. My granddaugther has been diagnosed with autism and she loves computer stuff, phones, movies, etc. and I want to get her something that will be fun but also a learning tool. She is 5 but her social and language skills are at a 3 year old level (I'm guessing because its been awhile since my kids were that small). Any suggestions would be helpful.

Both of my kids learned to read in different ways. I think the Tag may work great for some kids. I never got it for my kids. I'd find out a bit more about how your granddaughter is learning. If she's learning by doing, it may work but if she has a hard time learning by listening, not sure. Hopefully a teacher will pop on here with better feedback.

I think for kids w/ special needs, the TAG would be great for them!
I got my daughter the Hooked on Phonics series for kindergarten when she was in preschool and we never looked back. She loved it and picked up on it immediately.

I wanted to pass this on:Check out leapster.com! I placed an order today with them and got better deals them amazon.com and they have been the best I could find until now. They have a great special going on right now for Black Friday deals - 25 to 60% off. Not sure how long they are going on. Plus I customized a packaged (didn't know this until I checked out) - I bought a Leapster 2, a game and a case and they gave me 5% of each item. I used a code (CSLEAP15) and it gave me 15% off the entire order. And because I spent over $50 I got free shipping. Normally these items would have added up to over $100 and I spent $53!

All 3 of my (now older) kids has a Leapster and a Leapster 2. They loved them, worked wonders on long car trips! It was probably the best toy purchase I ever made for my kids and I love the learning activities and my kids were always interested in them. They never got tired of them. I can't give you any feedback on the Explorer, my older kids were too old by that time and the youngest isn't there yet!

Shawnna said:

My almost 6 year old is developmentally delayed. We tested him for autism. He's on the bottom border of autism. The Leapster Tag would be great for him. I suggest it.

My kids loved the TAG. We got them each an Explorer for Christmas. I like the fact that you can download books on it as well as the games. I know there are other features for that system, but the books are what sold me.

Related to Leapster 2 for Christmas: Best Deals and Tips for Buying the Perfect Gift

1. What is a Leapster 2 and why is it a popular Christmas gift?

The Leapster 2 is an educational handheld gaming device designed for children ages 4-9. It is popular as a Christmas gift because it combines fun and learning, making it a great gift for children during the holiday season.

2. Where can I find the best deals on Leapster 2 for Christmas?

You can find the best deals on Leapster 2 for Christmas at major retailers like Walmart, Target, and Amazon. You can also check the Leapfrog website for any special offers or promotions.

3. What games are compatible with the Leapster 2?

The Leapster 2 is compatible with all Leapster and Leapster 2 games, as well as select LeapFrog Explorer games. It also has a library of over 30 educational games and activities for children to play and learn with.

4. Are there any tips for buying the perfect Leapster 2 for Christmas?

When buying a Leapster 2 for Christmas, it is important to consider the age of the child and their interests. You may also want to look for bundle deals that come with additional games or accessories. It's also a good idea to read reviews and compare prices to ensure you are getting the best deal.

5. Can the Leapster 2 be used for multiple players?

Yes, the Leapster 2 has a multiplayer function that allows up to two players to play games together. It also has a "Learning Path" feature that allows parents to track their child's progress and create customized learning experiences for multiple players.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• toaster_pastry
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Jacquelyn Scheel
  • COOKINWITHSHERRI
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
COOKINWITHSHERRI
  • adnoel