• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Layaway Shopping - Pros and Cons

In summary, the layaway plan is a good idea because it is easier to pay someone in installments than to try to save up for what you want. The customer has to spend $150 or there's one that they have to spend $200. They pay 20% down and have four payments. The fourth payment is the only one that can be paid with credit card. They place their order, and pay you the down payment. then you figure out the remaining payments ( divide by 4) then you just set the days of when the payments are due. when they pay you the last payment you send in the order as a catalog show. they also get the host benefits
Chef Endora
Gold Member
I was just strolling through the files & found a lay away flyer.
I'm sorry but I am computer challenged & don't know how to attatch the file.:eek:
I think it was in the cookware files.
Has anyone ever done this? Is it a good idea? Pros & Cons?:confused:

I've never been a fan of the lay-a-way...
No reasons, just don't think its a good idea. I am open to having my mind changed though.

I've never had anyone take me up on it.

Chef Endora said:
I was just strolling through the files & found a lay away flyer.
I'm sorry but I am computer challenged & don't know how to attatch the file.:eek:

To attach a file, click on the go advanced button at the bottom of the reply window, scroll down to "manage attachments", and let us know if you have any problems/questions.

I actually had one person use the lay away option the very first time I offered it. I like the idea because it would be something I would use myself. It is a lot easier to have to pay someone in increments than to try to save up for what you want. I have always found that if I try to save up myself it never works because I still have access to the money, if I am paying someone else, its as good as gone, and in the end i get what i wanted.

Thanks....and here is the flyer (I hope):)

I did try the go advanced before but didn't have the file saved to my computer.

Is there a way to attach the file from here?

I reiterate my computer unsaviness:eek: :D

Attachments

• Lay%20away%20flyer[1].doc
    99 KB · Views: 388
Hark! I say unto you....I think I did it!:eek: :D :D :D

You did do it! Hooray!

I'd like to know if this works for anyone else as well. Also, would the 3 payments have to be paid in a certain amount of time?

I would think not, but you could offer an extra perk if you wanted to wrap it up sooner; say to get credit during a sell a thon. Like free silicone whisk(s) for
a cookware layaway. Always dangling carrots:D ....but then PC does that with us & see how it works.;)

I'm starting to give this some thought now & need more ideas.

I think a planned schedule (flexible) to the customer of course should make it more professional & therefore, more attractive to the customer.;)

Pros & cons appreciated, especially if you have tried this.

I have the one I set up as the first payment (after the down payment) in 2 weeks, then she wanted the first of the month thereafter, so I let her basically tell me when she could pay it. With some people I may not be as flexible with, but I figure that the person knows when they have extra money and what time in the month the cash gets tight. and thats different for everybody, so I asked when was a better time frame for them.

Sounds logical. I mean, the consultant is just holding the $.

okay, sooooo I ate my bowl of stupid this morning! I don't understand the whole lay-away plan here!! can someone get out their crayons and draw me a picture please???

ok basically (sp?) The customer has to spend $150 or there's one that they have to spend $200. They pay 20% down and have four payments. The fourth payment is the only one that can be paid with credit card. They place their order, and pay you the down payment. then you figure out the remaining payments ( divide by 4) then you just set the days of when the payments are due. when they pay you the last payment you send in the order as a catalog show. they also get the host benefits for a catty show. so you just close like a normal show. hope that helps if not i'll try to explain again, just let me know.

First of All, Thanks for getting out your crayon box!!:D
So, basically I'm really just holding the money for the products they want until the amount of the products is paid in full?.?. Okay, so why do people do this??:confused: Why would they not just keep their money until they had enough to purchase what they want?

Yeah basically thats what you're doing. I personally think that its the concept that the cash is out of their hands, they dont have it, so its easier to get the products that you want. I know that when I try to save for things in the back of my mind I know that the money is there so I can get to it. If I am paying someone else, then I cant get to it. (if that makes sense) (alot of times I know what I'm trying to say, but it just dosent come out right lol!)

Also, they may be more willing to commit to a larger purchase than to say I'll
buy that when I have the extra cash/I want it but can't buy it now.

I think this may be an option that I send around to my contacts rather than bringing up the concept at a show which may be seen as sabotaging the host. But, on the other hand, it is also a way for a host to generate a booking from her show.....;)

Old thread revivedHas anyone had luck with this? I would not offer this at a show for fear of taking away orders from a host. But I would be more inclined my self to order the pan set if I could do a layaway plan instead of cash or credit card. Don't always have cash available and do not want to put on cc. TIA:balloon:

Bumping:balloon:

Amberd said:
ok basically (sp?) The customer has to spend $150 or there's one that they have to spend $200. They pay 20% down and have four payments. The fourth payment is the only one that can be paid with credit card. They place their order, and pay you the down payment. then you figure out the remaining payments ( divide by 4) then you just set the days of when the payments are due. when they pay you the last payment you send in the order as a catalog show. they also get the host benefits for a catty show. so you just close like a normal show. hope that helps if not i'll try to explain again, just let me know.
I'm feeling obtuse. I understand the concept of the layaway. What I don't understand is the bolded part. I thought a single order couldn't be a show; it would be an individual order.

Or, since it's automatically over $150 in sales, do you just have the buyer as the host AND the guest, and the layaway item(s) are the show purchases, complete with shipping and all, but the person can still get host promotions and discount? Can you do that?

I feel like I'm missing what must be a really obvious piece here...

What most people do is create a catalog show, and put the cookware as a guest order. Because it's over $150, it qualifies as a show, and the purchaser can use the host special and any free value earned. HOWEVER, a single order really isn't a catalog show. And if the buyer is to get the host benefits legally, they really should collect an order or two from friends/family.

Thanks, Ann. I thought maybe there was some magic layaway catalog show I didn't know of, but you cleared it up.

One of my clustermates came up with the "10 week club" It is basically a lay-a-way with the chance of winning host benefits

here is how she announces it
Pampered Chef 10 Week Club

Have you ever wished Pampered Chef had a lay-away plan? Here is your solution!!!

The Pampered Chef 10 Week Club
Here's what it's all about:
The club runs for 10 weeks.
There are 12 participants per club.
I give you a Club Information Packet containing a catalog, payment schedule and 10 pre-addressed envelopes.
Each week you mail your payment of $10 to me.
At the end of the 10 weeks you'll have $100 saved in the club to purchase something that you've always wanted.

*****Here's the fun part*****
At the end of the 10 weeks I close the club and call it a MYSTERY HOST SHOW. This means that one lucky member of our club will win the Host Reward Bonus from our 'show'. The show total should be $1200 and one member will receive $265 in FREE Pampered Chef merchandise, 4 half-priced items and 30% off any additional items. The winner will be chosen by random drawing. You have a 1 in 12 chance of winning!!

*****Here's the BEST part*****
You never left your lounge chair!!!!!

Don't miss out on this fun opportunity!! Twelve people, ten weeks, and a chance at $265 in FREE merchandise!!!
Ask friends and family if they are interested. You can even get your own group of 12 people together to create your a club. That way someone you know is guaranteed to win!
Let me know right away if you would like to participate!

Dates for the 10 weeks will be solidified once we have 12 committed participants

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have done this and it is a great way to guarantee a $1200 show. My fellow consultant has one running at all times! And other fellow consultants havealso done this. Customers can pay more than the $10 weekly if they want. Most of my customers did $20 for 5 weeks a couple did 2 payments of $50. AS long as it equals $100 in the end.

pchefjennoy

is anyone doing this? how are the results?

I had never heard of it. Interesting concept- especially in light of current financial situations and feelings. Layaway is coming back at most retail stores now. I like the 10-week club idea too.

I like both of these ideas, too. With the economy as it is, many people just don't have an extra $100-$150 to fork out but could do it a little at a time with no problem. I'm thinking that with the Holidays coming on, people would be more inclined to do it now than at other times. Thanks for the ideas!

Bumping, because I got a new job and money is tight with all my colleagues, but they are interested in Pampered Chef.
I am not sure how to broach the subject. And the words to say every week when I collect the money. I am VERY uncomfortable feeling like a bill collector.
Any advice? thanks in advance.

I am looking at this idea and running it through my brain cells as well.

I like the club idea, but I think I would cut it to 6 participants per club and draw 2 names for host and cohost and split the win: both get $37.50 additional to spend and 25% discount on any overage and both would be able to purchase 1 item at 1/2 price. First name drawn gets the host special.

I would not present this idea at a show, but would definately offer it while at vendor booth events. Especially September and October for Christmas shopping idea.

The other thing I would consider would be upcoming specials - like the January 50% more, you could offer more to the two winners. Just count back 10 weeks to when you would need to start it.

I am still playing with the idea in my head.

wcsis said:
I am looking at this idea and running it through my brain cells as well.

I like the club idea, but I think I would cut it to 6 participants per club and draw 2 names for host and cohost and split the win: both get $37.50 additional to spend and 25% discount on any overage and both would be able to purchase 1 item at 1/2 price. First name drawn gets the host special.

I would not present this idea at a show, but would definately offer it while at vendor booth events. Especially September and October for Christmas shopping idea.

The other thing I would consider would be upcoming specials - like the January 50% more, you could offer more to the two winners. Just count back 10 weeks to when you would need to start it.

I am still playing with the idea in my head.
You can't count on that or any special until it is announced. HO is famous for changing things up. They did sell-a-thon in November for 5 years straight and then in October last year told us that it was going to be January so you will want to wait to announce anything like this.

Related to Layaway Shopping - Pros and Cons

1. What is layaway shopping?

Layaway shopping is a payment plan where a customer can reserve an item by making a deposit and paying it off in installments over a set period of time, typically with no interest.

2. How does layaway shopping work?

The customer selects an item and makes a deposit, usually a percentage of the total cost. The store holds the item until the customer pays off the remaining balance in installments. Once the full amount is paid, the customer can take the item home.

3. What are the pros of layaway shopping?

Layaway shopping allows customers to reserve items without having to pay the full amount upfront. It also helps customers budget and avoid credit card debt as there is no interest charged. Additionally, layaway plans may have lower fees and longer payment terms compared to credit card installment plans.

4. What are the cons of layaway shopping?

One major drawback of layaway shopping is that if the customer is unable to make all the payments, they may lose the deposit and the item. It also ties up the customer's funds for the duration of the layaway plan, which may limit their ability to make other purchases.

5. Is layaway shopping a good idea?

Whether layaway shopping is a good idea depends on individual circumstances. If a customer cannot afford to pay the full amount upfront or does not want to use credit cards, layaway shopping can be a helpful option. However, it is important to carefully consider the terms and fees of the layaway plan and make sure the payments can be made on time to avoid losing the item and deposit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
iteachurkid
  • KimoMakano
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
juliJules
Replies