• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!

In summary, the speaker did a show for a woman who had booked off another host in an unusual location - a hair salon. Only one person gave an order that night and the host had already collected orders on slips of paper. However, one order was overlooked because it was not included on the slips of paper. As a result, the speaker has now made it a rule to not take orders without complete contact information and to confirm with the host beforehand. They also mentioned the importance of contact information for following up with customers and honoring the lifetime guarantee. Other speakers in the conversation have also faced similar issues and have decided to implement the same rule.
Chef Mary Rose
A few weeks ago, I did a show for a woman who had booked off another host. It was an unusual show but now looking back on it, I learned so many lessons. It was held in a hair salon. (after hours and actually, the salon was pretty cool!) Seven people attended but only one gave me an order that night. They really didn't seem interested in trying out products but I did my best to keep it short and gave them plenty of time to socialize.

Here are my lessons:

1) Never take an order that is not written on an regular order form or OOF.

My host had already collected orders - however, they were scribbled on slips of paper. I've taken orders like this before to be nice. I tallied them up and gave her the total. Later, when I went to her house (thinking we were closing the show), she gave me more orders that were written on slips of paper. I thought I had them all but I didn't. As a result of one of the "slips" of paper not being included, an order was overlooked.

2) Before I send up an order, I am going to check with the host to make sure I have everyone so I don't miss a name.

If I had done this to begin with, I wouldn't have overlooked the order.

3) I have now made an Executive Decision for my business. No contact info given? No order will be placed. I need a full name and contact information.

I can't tell you how frustrated I have been with this portion of the business. I bend over backwards to be accommodating and I have asked hosts REPEATEDLY to please get the contact information for a guest. This crazy show's host had orders from people she worked with. She only gave me their first name. No last name. No phone number. No address. When I asked if she knew their last name, she said, "Nope! I just know them as "Suzy!"" She didn't seem to want to be bothered to ask for the information. I know some people do not want to give their contact information but you know what? I don't want to do business with them. That's it. Period. I'm done with not getting contact info.

So for now on, I will let the host know ahead of time that I need contact information for several reasons: First, I like to follow-up with my customers to make sure they received the products in good condition and answer any questions. Secondly, if they did have a problem, HO will have their info on file instead of me playing phone tag with the host trying to hunt down their contact info.

I feel much better after arriving at this decision. :)

We are in a different position than a "Big Box" store. We don't harass people. We genuinely want to give them a unique buying experience with helpful follow-up.

If a customer is that squeamish about their contact info, then really - why buy from direct sales? If that sounds cold, so be it. I'm just done trying to find ways to service customers who really don't want it. :grumpy:

Good for you! You are taking control of your business and working it the way that works for you. I have done the same thing as far as taking orders on a piece of paper. I haven't had a problem yet, but I will definitely learn from your experience.

I just came to that same decision a couple of weeks ago. I have had too many problems with orders and then I have to go looking for a phone number or call the host because the number isn't on the order form. On my letter to my hosts it says: I am not able to take orders without complete contact information, including first and last name, address and phone number. I also ask the host for phone numbers with the guest list. I tell them it's because I enter all the information into my Pampered Chef program so I don't have to do it at the show because it takes too long.

Good for you, it's crazy that people won't if information to complete their orders. How the heck are we to offer a life time guarantee with out a full name!

I've never been good at asking for this info... I hate sounding pushy. But I love rennea's comment about the lifetime guarantee and that gave me the words to state that I must receive contact info for guarantee purposes. Now, I'm not being pushy.

Mary Rose - kudos to you for learning how to stand up for your business! Definitely gonna follow your lead!!!

It's the main reason I get a full name and contact number everytime Katie. Don't worry about looking pushy.:)

I just picked up a catalogue show. Two checks and and order form with no name on it at all! Now,I know they are looking to save the $4 shipping (on a $140 order no less!). But come on! Now, I have to track down the host and get numbers because I have to let them know the gaurentees are null and void on combined orders and those with no contact info. I'm going to e-mail one of my other catty hosts and make sure she gets all the info before I pick it all up and hope she does so!
Jessica

good for you girl!
Chef Mary Rose said:
A few weeks ago, I did a show for a woman who had booked off another host. It was an unusual show but now looking back on it, I learned so many lessons. It was held in a hair salon. (after hours and actually, the salon was pretty cool!) Seven people attended but only one gave me an order that night. They really didn't seem interested in trying out products but I did my best to keep it short and gave them plenty of time to socialize.

Here are my lessons:

1) Never take an order that is not written on an regular order form or OOF.

My host had already collected orders - however, they were scribbled on slips of paper. I've taken orders like this before to be nice. I tallied them up and gave her the total. Later, when I went to her house (thinking we were closing the show), she gave me more orders that were written on slips of paper. I thought I had them all but I didn't. As a result of one of the "slips" of paper not being included, an order was overlooked.

2) Before I send up an order, I am going to check with the host to make sure I have everyone so I don't miss a name.

If I had done this to begin with, I wouldn't have overlooked the order.

3) I have now made an Executive Decision for my business. No contact info given? No order will be placed. I need a full name and contact information.

I can't tell you how frustrated I have been with this portion of the business. I bend over backwards to be accommodating and I have asked hosts REPEATEDLY to please get the contact information for a guest. This crazy show's host had orders from people she worked with. She only gave me their first name. No last name. No phone number. No address. When I asked if she knew their last name, she said, "Nope! I just know them as "Suzy!"" She didn't seem to want to be bothered to ask for the information. I know some people do not want to give their contact information but you know what? I don't want to do business with them. That's it. Period. I'm done with not getting contact info.

So for now on, I will let the host know ahead of time that I need contact information for several reasons: First, I like to follow-up with my customers to make sure they received the products in good condition and answer any questions. Secondly, if they did have a problem, HO will have their info on file instead of me playing phone tag with the host trying to hunt down their contact info.

I feel much better after arriving at this decision. :)

We are in a different position than a "Big Box" store. We don't harass people. We genuinely want to give them a unique buying experience with helpful follow-up.

If a customer is that squeamish about their contact info, then really - why buy from direct sales? If that sounds cold, so be it. I'm just done trying to find ways to service customers who really don't want it. :grumpy:
I have had that same problem in the past, how can i service them the best way if they dont give me all their info. one way i do this is at the end of my shows i have everyone fill out the survey slips with all their info including phone numbers, emails, first and last name and jokingly say "Im not going to sell you a timeshare" i just feel you deserve the best customer service. then i say everybody who filled in all their info is going into my drawing basket and i have somebody pull out a slip for prize. if you did not fill in all your info? your name doesnt go in my prize basket. that ended that problem quick. you know people want something for free but you have to do something for me first.

MaddyandOwensMom said:
I just picked up a catalogue show. Two checks and and order form with no name on it at all! Now,I know they are looking to save the $4 shipping (on a $140 order no less!). But come on! Now, I have to track down the host and get numbers because I have to let them know the gaurentees are null and void on combined orders and those with no contact info. I'm going to e-mail one of my other catty hosts and make sure she gets all the info before I pick it all up and hope she does so!
Jessica

I know some people can be cheap:yuck: to save on the $4 shipping and handling...but I figure it is better to get their order than not at all. I just let them know there will only be one receipt and they have to decide who keeps it. As far as the guarantees being null and void...I would be careful telling your customer that as they may run off to another consultant!:cry:

I recently had a catalog host ask me about combining orders to save people the shipping. This was my response:Well, I can't forbid you to do it. However, you need to make sure that they understand that it could effect their warranty. If Suzy and Betty combine orders under Betty's name, Suzy won't have a receipt for her products. If she orders a piece of stoneware, it will have a 3-year warranty. Let's say Suzy breaks that stone two years from now. There will be no record of her ever ordering a stone. Does that make sense?

fruit76loop said:
I know some people can be cheap:yuck: to save on the $4 shipping and handling...but I figure it is better to get their order than not at all. I just let them know there will only be one receipt and they have to decide who keeps it. As far as the guarantees being null and void...I would be careful telling your customer that as they may run off to another consultant!:cry:

Usually what I do is just let them know that this is the circumstance. I used to just let it go, but I want everyone to have the best possible service. What I told one customer was that "just so that everyone is aware," the guarentees are technically not valid by combining. They would all have to remember who ordered what and then I could take care of it for them, but they would have to keep track. Then it was in her court and she was still fine with combining. The one I have now is a combo of a $40 and a $100 order and I don't know who ordered what. Also, someone will be out the free Sprinkles and Spreader. So now I have to find out one of their phone numbers so I can let them know. One of the two checks doesn't even have a full name on it. Aaargh!
Jessica

Lots of great points made here on this thread. I have to laugh that the customers that I have all of their contact info tend to always write it in and I tell them thanks, I already have it in the computer unless something changed just put your name and phone number on the order form. The ones you need you have to politely ask them for their info. Lots of times most people say oops I'm sorry and give it to you. The reasons speak for themselves and I am not going to be afraid to ask for it.

I'm still pretty new at this, but a suggestion given to me was to let guests know that I need the information on the guest receipt filled out as completely as possible, because I'm going to enter it into my laptop and the software asks for everything. I've had great results with that line, everyone at least fills in name, address and phone number. At checkout, I'll usually ask if they want to include their email address so I can send them a newsletter when I start sending one out.

What is "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!"?

"Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!" is a new cookbook from Pampered Chef that features delicious and easy recipes inspired by our crazy cooking shows.

What types of recipes can I expect to find in "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!"?

In this cookbook, you will find a variety of recipes ranging from appetizers, main dishes, sides, desserts, and more! Each recipe has been carefully crafted and tested by our chefs to ensure they are both delicious and easy to make.

Are there any special dietary restrictions or preferences catered to in "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!"?

Yes, this cookbook includes a wide range of recipes for various dietary needs and preferences. You will find gluten-free, vegetarian, and low-carb options to name a few.

Can I purchase "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!" online?

Yes, you can purchase "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!" on our Pampered Chef website or through your local Pampered Chef consultant.

Are there any cooking tips or tricks included in "Latest Lessons From a Crazy Show!"?

Absolutely! Along with delicious recipes, this cookbook also includes helpful cooking tips and tricks to make your cooking experience easier and more enjoyable. You may even learn a new technique or two!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • cookingwith_tara
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies