1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Lap Boards

1. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

For those that have the lapboards, do you find them to be worth the price? I'm considering buying 12 of them....

May 11, 2009
  2. jross93

jross93 Member

Sarah - an idea you may want to consider - that many others have posted about previously is making your own lapboards by cutting the front and back cover off 3-ring binders. It's cheaper than purchasing the ones from Merrill (esp. at the beg. of school sales) People say they serve the same function.
    Just an idea! If you need more info. you might try searching the archives. I know I've read several posts about this before.
    Jen

May 11, 2009
  3. christinaspc

christinaspc Veteran Member Silver Member

I love the ones from merrill and they are super nice and clean and very professional looking.

May 11, 2009
  4. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

I just use the dollar store clip boards.

5. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

I looked for clip boards at the dollar store and couldn't find them. I like the idea of the logo on the Merrill ones too. When you break it down they are $2.66 each. Can you really make them cheaper? I'm SO on the fence!! lol.

May 11, 2009
  6. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Yes, you can make them cheaper, however, you are right, it is like comparing apples to oranges. The home made ones aren't going to look as nice, logo, edges, etc.

7. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

Office depot sells a box of 12 white 1" binders (view) for $13.99. When you cut them apart, which I do carefully with a box cutter or x-acto knife right down the spine of the notebook (I use a ruler as a guide for the edge), you get 24 for $.60 apeice (roughly). I do a new batch about every 2-3 years. If you are careful you can cut them easily. If you miss an edge you can touch it up by gluing a small bead of elmers along the edge.

May 11, 2009
  8. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

you should also consider the time it takes to make them. I hesitated for 3 years on buying the lapboards - so glad I did, I love them! They are heavy though :(

May 11, 2009
  9. flemings99

flemings99 Veteran Member Gold Member

My customers appreciate the lapboards. I used a 2 pocket folder before with brads in the middle to put fliers in. I got tired of shifting the fliers around. I ditto: the boards are heavy to tote around.

May 11, 2009
  10. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I have 15 of them and love them! I bought the Merrill ones after doing some looking around. They are very professional looking and work great. I had tried to cut my own from binders but wasn't satisfied with the results. Too sloppy and not very professional. They only thing I wish that Merrill offered were black ones. I had a 4 year old write on mine twice at two different parties. I tried taking it off with a Magic Eraser but it hasn't worked yet. I use the cranberry tote we earned last year at conference to carry mine. Perfect for carrying them and all my other paperwork for my parties.

May 11, 2009
  11. Based on what I'm reading I'm going to go with the Merrill lapboards...I'm talking myself into it by reminding myself that instead of the car decal I'm getting a car magnet from Vista. Moms can rationalize anything, lol

ETA: I know Merrill was having a 10% off sale but was that in April or is it May? I can't remember where I read it.

12. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

I'm not sure about the sale. I should get on their email list so I can get the sales. I think I've decided I am buying them!! And I did the same thing with vista print car magnets. I just got one for now and I'm going to put it on the rear lift-gate. (I have a hatch back style car so the back is flat.) Now I need to figure out how I will carry my heavy new lapboards. ;)

May 11, 2009
  13. I think it was a CC email...hang on Sarah, let's see if I can find where I read it for both of us! :D

14. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

Merrill had 10% off personalized items for April only. They are offering free shipping with an order over $75 right now.

May 11, 2009
  15. Thanks WG! Bummer tho....

16. pckrissy

pckrissy Advanced Member

i don't know why they came out with the white lap boards....mine are black i bought them 3 1/2 years ago off a consultant who was getting out of the biz... I love them...they are heavy i have 12 but my customers do appreciate them especially when you have a big show and people are using their laps to write on...i bring extra cattys and leave them on the tables were people have an obvious place to fill out their orders..I don't think you will regret the purchase...

May 11, 2009
  17. Gina M

Gina M Veteran Member Gold Member

I made mine when I started nearly 4 years ago - they are black - I get plenty of compliments and they don't show dirt. I know I got the binders for around $1 a piece at the time so I feel they have been money well spent (and it was easy to cut them into two lapboards from one binder). I definitely like having lapboards for my guests especially since they often don't have a table in front of them to write on.

May 11, 2009
  18. nancycookspc

nancycookspc Member Gold Member

Here's where I orderd mine...and other goodies
    Specialty Items
    Don't like white...gets dirty

nancy

May 11, 2009
  19. sk8rgrrl99

sk8rgrrl99 Member

Oh wow, those are nice too!! I was worried about the white too but I decided to go ahead with the Pampered Chef ones.

May 12, 2009
  20. mbh06

mbh06 Member Silver Member

I did this in the past and looking at them now I realize how I really wasted money b/c of how unprofessional they look. I have started back up and am pretty sure I'm not going to use them b/c of how they look :(

I would say if you can make the investment go for it! If down the road you don't want them I'm sure they would be picked up by someone super fast :thumbup:

May 26, 2009
  21. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

I think mine look very professional and get lots of compliments!! I did buy white (only in the biz 6 months, but they still look great). I usually slide in a flyer of some sort in that back pocket and they look great!

May 26, 2009
  22. mbh06

mbh06 Member Silver Member

You must be much better at cutting that I am :blushing:

May 26, 2009
  23. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

You could announce the "special" lapboard at your shows and whoever is the lucky user gets free shipping!

May 26, 2009
Have something to add?