• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Lapboard Investment Worth it? Evaluating Value of 12 Purchases

In summary, those that have the lapboards, generally find them to be worth the price. However, there are ways to make them cheaper and they take time to make.
sk8rgrrl99
For those that have the lapboards, do you find them to be worth the price? I'm considering buying 12 of them....

Sarah - an idea you may want to consider - that many others have posted about previously is making your own lapboards by cutting the front and back cover off 3-ring binders. It's cheaper than purchasing the ones from Merrill (esp. at the beg. of school sales) People say they serve the same function.
Just an idea! If you need more info. you might try searching the archives. I know I've read several posts about this before.
Jen

I love the ones from merrill and they are super nice and clean and very professional looking.

I just use the dollar store clip boards.

I looked for clip boards at the dollar store and couldn't find them. I like the idea of the logo on the Merrill ones too. When you break it down they are $2.66 each. Can you really make them cheaper? I'm SO on the fence!! lol.

sk8rgrrl99 said:
I looked for clip boards at the dollar store and couldn't find them. I like the idea of the logo on the Merrill ones too. When you break it down they are $2.66 each. Can you really make them cheaper? I'm SO on the fence!! lol.

Yes, you can make them cheaper, however, you are right, it is like comparing apples to oranges. The home made ones aren't going to look as nice, logo, edges, etc.

Office depot sells a box of 12 white 1" binders (view) for $13.99. When you cut them apart, which I do carefully with a box cutter or x-acto knife right down the spine of the notebook (I use a ruler as a guide for the edge), you get 24 for $.60 apeice (roughly). I do a new batch about every 2-3 years. If you are careful you can cut them easily. If you miss an edge you can touch it up by gluing a small bead of elmers along the edge.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Yes, you can make them cheaper, however, you are right, it is like comparing apples to oranges. The home made ones aren't going to look as nice, logo, edges, etc.

you should also consider the time it takes to make them. I hesitated for 3 years on buying the lapboards - so glad I did, I love them! They are heavy though :(

pamperedlinda said:
you should also consider the time it takes to make them. I hesitated for 3 years on buying the lapboards - so glad I did, I love them! They are heavy though :(

My customers appreciate the lapboards. I used a 2 pocket folder before with brads in the middle to put fliers in. I got tired of shifting the fliers around. I ditto: the boards are heavy to tote around.

I have 15 of them and love them! I bought the Merrill ones after doing some looking around. They are very professional looking and work great. I had tried to cut my own from binders but wasn't satisfied with the results. Too sloppy and not very professional. They only thing I wish that Merrill offered were black ones. I had a 4 year old write on mine twice at two different parties. I tried taking it off with a Magic Eraser but it hasn't worked yet. I use the cranberry tote we earned last year at conference to carry mine. Perfect for carrying them and all my other paperwork for my parties.

Based on what I'm reading I'm going to go with the Merrill lapboards...I'm talking myself into it by reminding myself that instead of the car decal I'm getting a car magnet from Vista. Moms can rationalize anything, lolETA: I know Merrill was having a 10% off sale but was that in April or is it May? I can't remember where I read it.

I'm not sure about the sale. I should get on their email list so I can get the sales. I think I've decided I am buying them!! And I did the same thing with vista print car magnets. I just got one for now and I'm going to put it on the rear lift-gate. (I have a hatch back style car so the back is flat.) Now I need to figure out how I will carry my heavy new lapboards. ;)

I think it was a CC email...hang on Sarah, let's see if I can find where I read it for both of us! :D

Merrill had 10% off personalized items for April only. They are offering free shipping with an order over $75 right now.

Thanks WG! Bummer tho....

i don't know why they came out with the white lap boards....mine are black i bought them 3 1/2 years ago off a consultant who was getting out of the biz... I love them...they are heavy i have 12 but my customers do appreciate them especially when you have a big show and people are using their laps to write on...i bring extra cattys and leave them on the tables were people have an obvious place to fill out their orders..I don't think you will regret the purchase...

I made mine when I started nearly 4 years ago - they are black - I get plenty of compliments and they don't show dirt. I know I got the binders for around $1 a piece at the time so I feel they have been money well spent (and it was easy to cut them into two lapboards from one binder). I definitely like having lapboards for my guests especially since they often don't have a table in front of them to write on.

Oh wow, those are nice too!! I was worried about the white too but I decided to go ahead with the Pampered Chef ones.

jross93 said:
Sarah - an idea you may want to consider - that many others have posted about previously is making your own lapboards by cutting the front and back cover off 3-ring binders. It's cheaper than purchasing the ones from Merrill (esp. at the beg. of school sales) People say they serve the same function.
Just an idea! If you need more info. you might try searching the archives. I know I've read several posts about this before.
Jen

I did this in the past and looking at them now I realize how I really wasted money b/c of how unprofessional they look. I have started back up and am pretty sure I'm not going to use them b/c of how they look :(

I would say if you can make the investment go for it! If down the road you don't want them I'm sure they would be picked up by someone super fast :thumbup:

mbh06 said:
I did this in the past and looking at them now I realize how I really wasted money b/c of how unprofessional they look. I have started back up and am pretty sure I'm not going to use them b/c of how they look :(

I would say if you can make the investment go for it! If down the road you don't want them I'm sure they would be picked up by someone super fast :thumbup:

I think mine look very professional and get lots of compliments!! I did buy white (only in the biz 6 months, but they still look great). I usually slide in a flyer of some sort in that back pocket and they look great!

mscharf said:
I think mine look very professional and get lots of compliments!! I did buy white (only in the biz 6 months, but they still look great). I usually slide in a flyer of some sort in that back pocket and they look great!

You must be much better at cutting that I am :blushing:

wadesgirl said:
I have 15 of them and love them! I bought the Merrill ones after doing some looking around. They are very professional looking and work great. I had tried to cut my own from binders but wasn't satisfied with the results. Too sloppy and not very professional. They only thing I wish that Merrill offered were black ones. I had a 4 year old write on mine twice at two different parties. I tried taking it off with a Magic Eraser but it hasn't worked yet. I use the cranberry tote we earned last year at conference to carry mine. Perfect for carrying them and all my other paperwork for my parties.

You could announce the "special" lapboard at your shows and whoever is the lucky user gets free shipping!

1. Is the lapboard investment worth the cost?

It depends on your personal needs and preferences. The lapboard is a versatile kitchen tool that can make meal prep and cooking more efficient and enjoyable. It also has a durable construction and a variety of uses, making it a good long-term investment for many individuals.

2. What makes the lapboard worth the investment?

The lapboard is made with high-quality materials and is designed to withstand daily use in the kitchen. It also has multiple functions, including a cutting board, serving tray, and heat-resistant surface for hot dishes. This versatility adds value to the investment.

3. How does the lapboard compare to other cutting boards?

The lapboard is designed specifically for use in the kitchen and offers features that other cutting boards may not have, such as a built-in handle for easy transport and non-slip feet for stability. It also has a larger surface area, making it ideal for meal prep and serving.

4. Can the lapboard be used for both cooking and serving?

Yes, the lapboard is designed for both cooking and serving. Its heat-resistant surface allows it to be used as a trivet for hot dishes, and its sleek design makes it perfect for serving food directly to the table. It can also be used as a cheese board or charcuterie platter.

5. Is the lapboard easy to clean and maintain?

Yes, the lapboard is easy to clean and maintain. Its non-porous surface prevents bacteria buildup, and it can be easily wiped down with soap and water or placed in the dishwasher for deeper cleaning. It also has a durable construction that can withstand regular use and maintain its quality over time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
koima
  • pctharper
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
TonyaLovesPC
  • sunset7435