• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches

In summary, the conversation discussed the best ingredients to use for a recipe involving Ladyfingers. The participants shared their experiences with using different types of cake, such as pound cake and angel food cake, and mentioned that ladyfingers can be found in the cookie aisle or bakery section of the store. They also suggested using other dessert sauces and alternatives like frozen pound cake or Twinkies. Overall, the consensus was that pound cake was the preferred option for this recipe.
winklermom
In what department will I be able to find Ladyfingers @ Walmart? I had never heard of them until I hear about this recipe.

At mine they have them both in the cookie aisle and over by the bakery.

Pound cake works, too, if you can't find them. Angel food cake gets mushy :yuck:

Great! Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the help. I'm thinking about doing this tomorrow for a Valentine treat for my family.

I had good results using those dessert shells for making strawberry shortcakes. Just chunk them up.

cochef said:
Pound cake works, too, if you can't find them. Angel food cake gets mushy :yuck:

yep I use pound cake and cut it up

The ladyfingers here are in the bakery and they are tres expensive! Mara

Maragib said:
The ladyfingers here are in the bakery and they are tres expensive! Mara

That alone makes me think that pound cake will be a better way to go. Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Never could find them around here (Walmart and three different local stores!) so I went with pound cake.

They are sometimes in the freezer section also, near the desserts. I demoed this recipe last spring often and I noticed it turned out better with the lady fingers. In my experience, they held up better than the pound cake. Also....if this is your 1st time making it....don't do as I did the 1st (and 2nd:blushing:) time and make the pudding 1st. You need the mix, not the finished pudding!

They took me some time to find b/c they were not packaged like I expected them to be. They were in a basket in the bakery dept, pre-packaged in clear wrapping. I think I finally asked someone where they were hiding. I found them in Safeway.

Sandi

I see from the previous posts here that Angel food cake is not recommended; however, I have a show tomorrow night, and the hostess couldn't find the ladyfingers, so she emailed me and said she bought an angel food cake instead, and hoped it would work, as she doesn't have time to go to the store again.
So...should I go myself and buy the ladyfingers? Or could I make the angel food cake work?
My thoughts are, as I'm typing this, to buy them, then go ahead and cut her angel food cake up into bite-sized pieces and serve them in a bamboo bowl at the show, with toothpicks and some cherry almond sauce...? What do you think? I mean, I don't want her stuff to go "unused", but I definitely want the show to be a good one, kwim??
Thanks in advance!!

Paula R. Lewis said:
I see from the previous posts here that Angel food cake is not recommended; however, I have a show tomorrow night, and the hostess couldn't find the ladyfingers, so she emailed me and said she bought an angel food cake instead, and hoped it would work, as she doesn't have time to go to the store again.
So...should I go myself and buy the ladyfingers? Or could I make the angel food cake work?
My thoughts are, as I'm typing this, to buy them, then go ahead and cut her angel food cake up into bite-sized pieces and serve them in a bamboo bowl at the show, with toothpicks and some cherry almond sauce...? What do you think? I mean, I don't want her stuff to go "unused", but I definitely want the show to be a good one, kwim??
Thanks in advance!!

bumping....Thanks!

Good idea. If you have the other dessert sauces, I would use those too!

I have never used AFC. I would get the lady fingers.

You can also get frozen pound cake. This is what I have used all the time and I love it. I have heard from other consultants that pound cake is even better than laddyfingers ;)

You can even use Twinkies. One of our consultants brought it to a cluster meeting and it wasn't that bad.

I made it with the lady fingers and I think they got too mushy. The host made it again and used pound cake and said it was much better.

I've never made this recipe (for a show) with the ladyfingers. They are very hard to find and about 3x's as much as the frozen pound cake. The cake seems to hold up better than the ladyfingers do. I've found ladyfingers at large food stores in the aisle but frozen or in the bread section. But most local small stores don't even carry them.

I made this recipe for a open house I held at my home... I thought it became FAR too mushy with the lady fingers...I'm not picky. Infact... I'd eat anything... but would not make that recipe again without some major tweeking!!

Pound cake is the way to go with this recipe!!! Last year I made it for a party. We finished the leftovers almost a week later and the last was as good as the first. A lot of desserts tend to get "watery" after a few days. This one doesn't. I finally found ladyfingers at one grocery store, but they were very cost prohibitive. I'd already made the recipe a few times with the pound cake and I will never make it any other way. It is very yummy. That's a lot coming from someone who hates coconuts!! (I know, milk tastes WAAAAYYY different, which is why I like it)

Thanks for all the tips! After a very long day at work yesterday, coupled with literally stopping for various errands all over town (lol!), I just decided to go ahead and purchase the ladyfingers. They are $2.29 per package at my local store, and we need 3 packages for the recipe. Show is tonight, so hopefully it will all be worth it!!!

I am, however, intrigued with the idea of the pound cake, which is probably cheaper, so I may just have to make it a second time, with the pound cake, to compare....
Thanks for the suggestions!!
Paula

lt1jane said:
Pound cake is the way to go with this recipe!!! Last year I made it for a party. We finished the leftovers almost a week later and the last was as good as the first. A lot of desserts tend to get "watery" after a few days. This one doesn't. I finally found ladyfingers at one grocery store, but they were very cost prohibitive. I'd already made the recipe a few times with the pound cake and I will never make it any other way. It is very yummy. That's a lot coming from someone who hates coconuts!! (I know, milk tastes WAAAAYYY different, which is why I like it)

You answered another question that I had meant to ask. I would like to make this dessert again for Easter but I wanted to be sure that it would be okay if I made it the day before so I wouldn't have a lot to do after we get home from church that afternoon.

Thanks for the 411!

What are the ingredients needed for Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches?

The ingredients needed for Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches are ladyfingers, coconut milk, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, strawberries, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.

How do I make Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches?

To make Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches, start by mixing together the coconut milk, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Soak the ladyfingers in this mixture for 10-15 minutes. In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream with sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Layer the soaked ladyfingers in a dish, top with sliced strawberries, and then spread the whipped cream over the top. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Can I use a different type of milk for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of milk you prefer. However, using coconut milk adds a delicious tropical flavor to the dish.

Do I need to let the Ladyfingers for Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches sit in the fridge before serving?

Yes, it is recommended to refrigerate the dish for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together and for the ladyfingers to soak up the milk mixture.

Can I add any other toppings to this dessert?

Absolutely! You can add shredded coconut, chopped nuts, or chocolate shavings on top for added flavor and texture. You can also garnish with fresh mint leaves for a pop of color.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
raebates
  • PCLaurel
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nikkies