• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches Trifle

I think a trifle is a perfect dessert for a family gathering! I've made it with both pound cake and angel food cake and both work well. The angel food cake is a little more delicate, but it's still delicious. I've also made it with sponge cake, and that works well, too. The key is to make sure the cake is sliced into small squares or rectangles so it doesn't turn into a big mess.
Suzyengl
Has anyone made this trifle before? I have a wedding shower on the 22nd and the theme is "fiesta". Mexican Food is being catered for the shower. Would this be a good show recipe? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzy in Texas

This is one of my favorite trifle recipes! And that's saying a lot because I really only like ones with chocolate in them. But this one is so flavorful and light -- I love it.

The only issue I have found with it is sometimes finding the ladyfingers is hard and when you do find them, they are expensive. I have substituted pound cake, angel food cake or those strawberry shortcake shells you find near the strawberries in the grocery store and I think the angel food cake works the best. It's the closest consistancy and soaks up the other flavors well.

I did this at a show a couple years ago and it was a huge hit. The demo was fun and everyone devoured the trifle.

Shari in TX

Thanks, Shari. Would you recommend pound cake as the best substitution? And I have never made this recipe before-woud you recommend I "practice" it at home first? PC recipes always come out so well-just want to be sure there are no "surprises"!

Thanks,
Suzy in Texas

I always find I'm the most comfortable doing something when I've done it at home first. I figure out which steps can be completed ahead of time or partially done ahead of time. For example, you can take all the stems off the strawberries except one or two before the show starts and then demo the Core 'N More on those instead of doing them all. I even recommend slicing most of them ahead of time. Unless you are really good at cutting while talking about something else or you have lots of guests willing to help, I find that just showing a small part of a step usually works best for me.

As far as the cake part goes, if you can't find, or don't want to spend the money on, the ladyfingers, I'd use angel food cake or a sponge cake of some sort. It comes closest to the texture. The pound cake is a little heavy although it's fine in a pinch.

I'm sure you can find some friends or family members who will suffer through eating the trial trifle you make at home. I know my family never minds when I use them as my test kitchen subjects. :)

Shari in TX

IMHO I like pound cake. Angel food cake "dissolves" to quickly and is not very good left over. I cut the pound cake smaller than it calls for and it works very well. The strawberry short cake things would probably work well too. I've never tried them though. =)

I've done this w/pound cake & ladyfingers both. All the guests loved it! I was wondering about the angel food cake. Maybe if it is eaten right away the cake won't be so mushy or if the cake squares are bigger than 1x1.

So maybe the bottom line is this is a great trifle no matter what cake you use!! :) Gotta love recipes like that. In fact, because of this thread, this is going to be our Fourth of July dessert on Wednesday. The strawberries around here are so delicious. I know my kids are going to be thrilled because usually the trifles I make are for shows, meetings or other stuff they aren't invited to. To give them a whole one of their very own will make me the best mom ever!

Shari in TX

1. What ingredients do I need to make Strawberry Coconut Tres Leches Trifle?

To make this delicious trifle, you will need angel food cake, strawberries, coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, and shredded coconut. You can also add vanilla extract for extra flavor.

2. How do I assemble the trifle?

First, cut the angel food cake into cubes and place them in the bottom of a trifle dish. Next, mix together the coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Pour half of the mixture over the cake. Then, add a layer of sliced strawberries and shredded coconut. Repeat these layers until you reach the top of the dish. Finally, whip the heavy cream and spread it over the top of the trifle. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

3. Can I use frozen strawberries instead of fresh ones?

Yes, you can use frozen strawberries for this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them completely and drain any excess liquid before using them in the trifle.

4. How long can I keep the trifle in the refrigerator?

The trifle can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, it is best to serve it within 24 hours for the freshest taste.

5. Can I use a different type of cake for this recipe?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake such as pound cake or sponge cake. However, the light and airy texture of angel food cake works best for soaking up the tres leches mixture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Staci
  • PCLaurel
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nikkies