• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Diagnosing Kidney Stones in a 18yo - Pain and Urine Straining?

In summary, my 18 yo DD has had pain on lower right abdomen which is now wrapping around to her back. She's had blood in her urine visible by her for about 1/2 those days -- but only once a day. Pain started one week ago today she can almost pinpoint the time. First diagnosis bladder infection. That evening went to ER, eliminated appendecitis via CT scan. ER doc thought it was an ovarian cyst that burst. Sent to gyno on Thursday. Had pelvic exam and ultrasound - everything normal. Could be ovarian cyst that burst can take a while for pain to subside. Pain didn't subside over weekend. Took her into gyno this morning, she ordered another CT
BeckyC5830
My 18 yo DD has had pain on lower right abdomen which is now wrapping around to her back. She's had blood in her urine visible by her for about 1/2 those days -- but only once a day. Pain started one week ago today she can almost pinpoint the time. First diagnosis bladder infection. That evening went to ER, eliminated appendecitis via CT scan. ER doc thought it was an ovarian cyst that burst. Sent to gyno on Thursday. Had pelvic exam and ultrasound - everything normal. Could be ovarian cyst that burst can take a while for pain to subside. Pain didn't subside over weekend. Took her into gyno this morning, she ordered another CT scan looking for kidney stones. Found one in her upper kidney. Possibility that she passed one last week and it irritated the ureter. So right now she is taking a new pain med and straining her urine and of course trying to drink lots of fluids.

My question to anyone that has had a kidney stone (I have not) once you passed it how long did it take for the pain to subside? Do these symptons sound in line with what you experienced? I'm just having a hard time accepting this diagnosis with pain this long -- albeit not acute. I'm thinking the next stop will be a urologist.

Definitely take her to a urologist! ;)The blood in the urine does indicate either a irritated urethra -or- a current infection. If she did pass a stone, that would definitely explain the blood in the urine & the discomfort. Did they give her a medication to numb the urethra? It would turn her urine bright orange/yellow. Literally, her urine would be almost fluorescent from the medication. If not, go to Eckerd, Walgreen's, etc. & pick up an over-the-counter medication called AZO Standard. If it's an irritated urethra, the medication will give her relief from the discomfort in the first 2 doses.Did they check her for a Urinary Tract Infection? (AZO does not affect the test results for a UTI.) She could have that going on too! ;)Cranberry pills will NOT cure a UTI, but it will help maintain a healthy urinary tract. If it turns out that she has a UTI too, she might want to start taking a cranberry pill supplement each day to help prevent future problems. Drinking a glass of cranberry juice each day can be just as effective.When an Ovarian Cyst bursts, your abdomen can fill up with blood leaving you bloated for several days until the blood reabsorbs into the body. The pain of the cyst bursting is way down, almost in the bend of the leg and definitely felt at the front of the body. An Ovarian Cyst is a dull pain for several days (as it's getting bigger). When it bursts, it's one of those "take your breath away" pains. I've had people tell me that my face went completely white during this time. The severe pain lasts 3-5 minutes & then goes back down to a dull irritating pain with some abdominal swelling.Kidney infection pain is much higher & usually focused more at the back of the body, not the front. It's a constant pain that won't subside.I hope that she starts to feel better soon! ;)

I just had the same thing yesterday - it woke me out of sleep - it was excrutiating in my left side right about where you put your hand on your hips. I just started drinking lots of water to flush it out and it worked but the pain was so bad I was close to leaving for the ER. I had blood in my urine for about 24 hours. I have been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice. My uretha is irritated and feels like I am having a period with the aching - I am just resting as walking around can irritate the uretha by putting pressure on the abdomen muscles.

It is subsiding but I would recommend seeing a urologist to find out the cause - you can also go to Web MD online and see that there are 3 types of stones and it could be from foods she is eating. Check it out - it was helpful to me. Mine is coffee, chocolates, dark sodas and green veggies - all of which I absolutely love but now only in moderation and drinking my daily water intake with fresh lemon.

Hope this helps.

I have had kidney stones a couple of times. Her symptoms sound right for that especially since they saw a stone in the CT scan. See a urologist. He/she will determine if they will need to do a lithotripsy procedure (crush the stones with ultrasound) to get rid of the one that's still there or if they think she could pass it. When a stone passes the pain usually goes away fairly quickly, it's the ones that are still there that are causing the discomfort - at least that's my experience.

Just to add to my previous response - tell her to REST - I overdid it today and had more blood in my urine - when I rest it stops. My sister is an RN and I saw her tonight - she said to REST so I plan too - I don't want to experience that ever again. Drinking water and cranberry juice and REST are the best thing to clear it up. She also told me that it could be several days for blood in the urine because the stone usually cuts into the uretha and unless she has a lot of pain - they won't even prescribe antibiotics - they will tell you the same thing. But if there are more they may want to get rid of them with the procedure that disinigrates them. Good Luck with them - I feel for her - it's no picnic - that's for sure.

Thank you Sheila, Susan and Beth! Hearing from you has reassured (if that is possible) that the kidney stone is causing her this pain. I spent time today talking with a young woman who experienced a kidney stone recently and how her pain evolved. I also spoke with a RN who told me to stick with my gyno as she will be able to use her clout to get my daughter seen ASAP by a urologist. I found out by myself that getting my daughter seen immediately by a urologist is almost impossible - some clinics were booked out a few months. I found one clinic that a Physicians Asst. saw all kidney stone patients and then he referred them to the Dr. as needed. I found all this upsetting as she's been in pain for a week and missing her classes at college. So I will be on the phone to my gyno in the am to see if she can get my daughter seen sooner than I was able to achieve today.She was tested for a UTI and it was negative. She doesn't have pain peeing so I don't think the pain med for the ureter would help at this point. Thanks for the advice for her to rest and not do too much. I've been researching a lot on the web and saw they recommend drinking lemonade made from fresh lemons or frozen concentrate or lemon water. The acid in the lemons will help diminish the stones. The young woman I spoke to today also said her urologist recommended lemonade. So far DD has had three glasses so far today! Today she has drunk more fluids than she has all week. I think she is finally motivated to feel better. Let's hope she passes the stone quickly now or that the gyno can get her into a urologist.Again, thanks for you help.

Ah, yes! I forgot about the FRESH lemonade. My last stones were several years ago now so I forget the details. The urologist did tell me that was the best thing to drink (besides water), much better than cranberry juice.

Hey Becky!

I had very similar pain and urine issues for 4 years. They weren't kidney stones (although I never wanted a kidney stone so badly in my life...). It was endometriosis. If your daughter doesn't feel better after the kidney stone problem is resolved, ask the gyno about the possibility of this.

I had my first kidney stone issue when I was 19. I get them about every 5 years. Have had lithotripsy twice. You can ask to have the stones analyzed to see if there is something that is a trigger. For me it was iron. Lemonade or acidic drinks help. I do drink lots of coffee, but little soda. Soda was a trigger. I also hate to drink water, so I add lemon juice or those little crystal light individual packages to my water.

1. What are some common symptoms of kidney stones in an 18-year-old?

Common symptoms of kidney stones in an 18-year-old include severe pain in the side or back, nausea and vomiting, blood in the urine, and difficulty or pain while urinating.

2. How are kidney stones diagnosed in an 18-year-old?

Kidney stones can be diagnosed through a combination of imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or ultrasounds, as well as urine and blood tests to check for levels of certain substances that can indicate the presence of kidney stones.

3. What causes kidney stones in an 18-year-old?

Kidney stones can be caused by a variety of factors, including dehydration, a diet high in salt and protein, certain medical conditions, and a family history of kidney stones.

4. How are kidney stones treated in an 18-year-old?

The treatment for kidney stones may vary depending on the size and location of the stones, as well as the severity of symptoms. Some common treatments include drinking plenty of water, taking pain medications, and using sound waves to break up the stones. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary.

5. Is it common for an 18-year-old to develop kidney stones?

While kidney stones are more commonly seen in adults, they can occur in people of all ages, including 18-year-olds. Factors such as diet, medical history, and lifestyle can increase the risk of developing kidney stones at a younger age.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
aPamperedBride