• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Raisins & Grapes Toxic to Dogs? Confirmed!

In summary, this information is VERY important. This has been circulating since 2004, but today was the first I had heard of it. Raisins are toxic to dogs and can lead to acute renal failure.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Warning All Dog Owners, we are raising the alarm (confirmed by Snopes) This information is VERY important. This has been circulating since 2004, but today was the firsst I heard of it.

The link to www.snopes.com is shown here ---> if you wish to confirm this as authentic. Snopes: Raisins Toxic to Dogs.

EVERY DOG OWNER NEEDS TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION:

Please Pass This On To Anyone Who Has A Dog

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.

My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 = times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.

At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.

Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Laurinda Morris, DVM

Danville Veterinary Clinic

Danville, Ohio

Thanks KG. Had been hearing this more lately...the most I'd ever given my pooch was a grape or two but it has been years since and definitely no more!

Yes, this is true KG...I work for a major pet supply company and we have a site devoted to education. We've had that posted for awhile. They are not sure if the toxin is a fungus, a pesticide, a heavy metal or a yet unidentified toxin. I won't post any links here because I do not want to advertise, but if you want what information we have on the topic, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Yeah, like I can't figure out who you work for in the roaring metropolis of Rhinelander. You already fostered the idea with your post and it doesn't take a smith to hammer it out.You're one of a handful up here who knows what a Hodag is, too.

You know. One of my dogs died unexpectedly and now I can't for the life of me remember if they were picking raisins about that time? We thought that they might have drank water that had run-off from the pesticides that they spray on the vines. Hmmm Something to think about... Thanks!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yeah, like I can't figure out who you work for in the roaring metropolis of Rhinelander. You already fostered the idea with your post and it doesn't take a smith to hammer it out.

You're one of a handful up here who knows what a Hodag is, too.

Thanks KG for giving it away! I was trying not to, but you know the area!

Seriously, if you want any info., yell, otherwise, I'm sure you know where to find it...

BTW, KG - did you know Hodags eat Funyuns?

http://www.rhinelanderchamber.com/Hodag_small_Logo.gif

Hodags eat white bulldogs and only on Sundays.

Oh, that's just the old hodags...the new ones eat Funyuns too! :)

Gene Sheppard (not to be confused with Jean Shepherd) would turn in his grave to hear that!

Not to high jack the tread butI knew that grapes and raisins were bad, my basett almost died from eating goose poop!! I know yuk, but we live on a lake with many around and when he was a puppy 9months old he almost died and when the test came back they told us it's toxic to dogs. Puppies will eat anything:rolleyes:

I am sure you all know that chocolate is also a poision for dogs. (We had a golden retriever and that was his favorite food)

Hey, the quoted vet in from Danville, Ohio!! That is a itty bitty town right down the road from my hometown. Usually have a graduating class of around 30, if that. I didn't even know they had their own vet! Let alone a whole vet clinic! LOL!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Gene Sheppard (not to be confused with Jean Shepherd) would turn in his grave to hear that!

Naw, we still know he caught the most ferocious one!

The toxic effects of chocolate on dogs is cumulative, if your dog gets ahold of a Hershey bar, it isn't going to kill him - but many Hershey bars over a period of time will be toxic.Also, keep your dog away from anti-freeze! There is something sweet and attractive in the liquid that attracts dogs. Ingesting it though, is fatal and it is a slow and painful death.

janetupnorth said:
Naw, we still know he caught the most ferocious one!
9999004960-l.jpg

Foods dangerous to dogs:

Attachments

• Items to avoid with dogs.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 293
janetupnorth said:
Foods dangerous to dogs:

Thanks for posting, I didn't know about the baby food. Our Vet told us to feed our dog Baby food when she was ill!!!

Here's the same document, but in PDF format for those who don't have Word.

Attachments

• Items to avoid with dogs.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 301
rennea said:
Thanks for posting, I didn't know about the baby food. Our Vet told us to feed our dog Baby food when she was ill!!!

The best advice I've been given from vets for sick dogs is to feed them white rice to settle their stomachs.

Thanks KG for the conversion...

I am sure you all know that chocolate is also a poision for dogs. (We had a golden retriever and that was his favorite food)

I have a great story to this...We had a foreign exchange student from Germany living with us a few years ago. His parents always sent him chocolate. Well for Christmas they sent him this HUGE care package of chocolates and I told him to make sure to put it away...he didn't. My Sheltie got ahold of it in the wee hrs. and ate the whole care package! She did not die, she was never even ill, NOTHING. If it was the cause of her death, it took 9 yrs to do it because she died at the ripe old age of 17 (119 in dog years).

Raw eggs is on the list! I have always given my 12 year old German Shephard egg yolks for his coat.

yummy4tummy said:
I have a great story to this...We had a foreign exchange student from Germany living with us a few years ago. His parents always sent him chocolate. Well for Christmas they sent him this HUGE care package of chocolates and I told him to make sure to put it away...he didn't. My Sheltie got ahold of it in the wee hrs. and ate the whole care package! She did not die, she was never even ill, NOTHING. If it was the cause of her death, it took 9 yrs to do it because she died at the ripe old age of 17 (119 in dog years).

From the vets I've talked to, it truly depends on the breed of dog combined with amount. I've had German Shephard Husky mixes that always ate chocolate and lived to 9 and 12 (died of other things...). It is usually the smaller breeds that have issues with it. It tends to make their hearts race or cause other arrhythmias in those breeds.

I am SO glad to hear yours lived a long life! :)

my3jjjs said:
Raw eggs is on the list! I have always given my 12 year old German Shephard egg yolks for his coat.

That is due to the salmonella or other bacteria that can form. We have had chickens that laid fresh eggs, and our dogs have eaten those and been fine.

Take the information and use it how you wish, I personally prefer to err on the side of caution with most of my pets.

janetupnorth said:
The best advice I've been given from vets for sick dogs is to feed them white rice to settle their stomachs.

Our lab had a "sensitive" stomach when he was a pup (I swear I must have dollar signs floating above me every time I walk in there since there is ALWAYS something I HAVE to have for Ollie!LOL!!) and I had to feed him a chicken and rice diet. I hated the smell of chicken and rice for a long time! LOL!! I would make big batches of it and then pop it in the fridge for a while......

erinyourpclady said:
Our lab had a "sensitive" stomach when he was a pup (I swear I must have dollar signs floating above me every time I walk in there since there is ALWAYS something I HAVE to have for Ollie!LOL!!) and I had to feed him a chicken and rice diet. I hated the smell of chicken and rice for a long time! LOL!! I would make big batches of it and then pop it in the fridge for a while......

Bet you wish PC had the rice cooker at the time! :)

My mother has a small Maltese who decided to eat a rather large bowl of chocolate covered raisins that were left out on the coffee table one night. He never seemed any worse for the wear and we never would have know he ate them if it wasn't for that huge chocolate mustache he had..lol.

1. What is the risk of feeding raisins or grapes to dogs?

The risk of feeding raisins or grapes to dogs is that it can lead to acute renal failure, a serious and potentially fatal condition.

2. How much raisins or grapes can be toxic to a dog?

As few as 7 raisins or grapes can be toxic to a dog, according to the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center.

3. What are the symptoms of raisin or grape toxicity in dogs?

The symptoms of raisin or grape toxicity in dogs may include vomiting, diarrhea, shaking, decreased urine production, increased thirst, and increased heart rate and blood pressure.

4. What should I do if my dog has ingested raisins or grapes?

If your dog has ingested raisins or grapes, it is important to seek immediate veterinary care. The vet may induce vomiting or administer fluids to prevent kidney damage.

5. Can raisin or grape toxicity in dogs be fatal?

Yes, raisin or grape toxicity in dogs can be fatal if not treated immediately. It is important for all dog owners to be aware of this risk and to keep raisins and grapes out of reach of their pets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jwagner75
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShanaSmith
  • scottcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • Kathytnt