• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can Joining Flylady Help Overcome Procrastination?

which one) and it was talking about how she has turned this into a multi-million dollar business. I just went out to the website to browse and see what's new. I found a student control journal. FABULOUS!! My son is in 7th grade this year and is in the gifted program for the first time this year. We have talked alot about staying on top of things (LOTS of special projects in this program), developing... routines, time management, etc. His eyes have started to glaze over every time I open my mouth :( This journal says everything I have been trying to teach him but in a "just between us, keep your parents away"
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
I just signed up to be a FLY baby on Friday night... (flylady.net)

Anyone else do this?

I have GOT to get my house/business/exercising/devotional time/etc. together!:yuck: :yuck:

Anyone else like me? Not pay bills just cuz they don't want to spend HOURS going through and balancing the checkbook and finding all of the bills, etc? :eek: The $$$ can be sitting in the account, but I can STILL pay bills late because of my silly procratination!:blushing:

Speaking of FLYing...I am going to finish my dishes so I can SHINE MY SINK!!

TTFN!

I am...well trying to be. Im currently implementing her moving strategies, and they are sooo saving my sanity!!

I've been a FLYbaby for many years. I started a message board group with some others who are trying to FLY, too. It's a great system, as long as you're following the routines ;)

I'm a rather "grounded" flybaby - as in, that plane ain't goin' nowhere! :( I procrastinate too much.I love the flylady system though!

kelly, how are you shining your sinks?

I am... or rather I would be if I would actually read the emails... of course, to do that I need time and to quit procrastinating, but to do that I need to implement the tips in the emails that I don't have time to read because I haven't implemented the tips to save myself time... UGH...
Rock and a hard place!

abrahamlaur said:
As in, what products do I use...or how can I possibly be shining them if I am on here?!?!?

If it's the latter, it's cuz I have been working on cleaning up the ENTIRE kitchen, so the sinks can be EMPTY so I can clean them!! :D

OK, break time is over! Back to work!

kelly LOL i meant the first one LOL what products do you use? although the latter one is pretty funny!

i have stain less steel sinks and they are gross, i cant clean them with anything! any tips would be great!

i am a flybaby have been now for a year :)

Laurie, have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? It works great on our SS cookware too!I have hard water so my sinks can get a little rusty looking sometimes and the BKF works great.

I was a FLYbaby a few years ago. Loved the common sense approach to encouraging you to get things done. The amount of emails and info got to be overwhelming after a while. I was telling my husband about it and he said, "I can tell you how to get more done each day....QUIT READING ALL THOSE EMAILS!!" It was pretty funny! So I stopped FLYing but still try to clean the kitchen every evening :)

(forgive my lack of punctuation - some of my keys are not working)Ive been using flylady for some time. Im nowhere near flying yet but Im getting there. My bathroom keeps clean and my kitchen is pretty much under control. My hotspots are my office area - which is a little corner in my kitchen - and my living room floor because thats where I do the most of my work.I have all the emails go into a separate folder and I only read certain ones, so thats how i stop from getting overwhelmed at the volume. Although I still spend way too much time on the computer. Her theories are really great - Im not into the cutesy religious undertones but I really like the overall idea.

Kelly, Thanks for starting this thread :)

I haven't thought about FLY lady for some time. The other day I saw an article in a magazine (??not sure which one) and it was talking about how she has turned this into a multi-million dollar business.

I just went out to the website to browse and see what's new. I found a student control journal. FABULOUS!! My son is in 7th grade this year and is in the gifted program for the first time this year. We have talked alot about staying on top of things (LOTS of special projects in this program), developing routines, time management, etc. His eyes have started to glaze over every time I open my mouth :rolleyes:

This journal says everything I have been trying to teach him but in a "just between us, keep your parents away" kind of way. I think he'll LOVE it. My daughter (a senior) already has some great organizational and study skills but I think she'll like this too.

I'm printing two sets and looking for the hole punch right now!!

GeorgiaPeach said:

I haven't thought about FLY lady for some time. The other day I saw an article in a magazine (??not sure which one) and it was talking about how she has turned this into a multi-million dollar business.

I just went out to the website to browse and see what's new. I found a student control journal. FABULOUS!! My son is in 7th grade this year and is in the gifted program for the first time this year. We have talked alot about staying on top of things (LOTS of special projects in this program), developing routines, time management, etc. His eyes have started to glaze over every time I open my mouth :rolleyes:

This journal says everything I have been trying to teach him but in a "just between us, keep your parents away" kind of way. I think he'll LOVE it. My daughter (a senior) already has some great organizational and study skills but I think she'll like this too.

Lisa~

Thanks for pointing this out! I didn't go through the website the other night too much- and I missed that!

My DSS is in 7th grade this year and I totally KNOW that glazed over look!!:eek: Perhaps this can help him without us preaching to him!!

abrahamlaur said:
kelly LOL i meant the first one LOL what products do you use? although the latter one is pretty funny!

i have stain less steel sinks and they are gross, i cant clean them with anything! any tips would be great!

Laurie~

I will tell you the BEST way to clean them and KEEP them clean! This is something my Mom used to do and I thought she was NUTS!! (Well, when I was a kid living at home, I did...not once I had to KEEP UP my own sink!! :blushing: )

It's time consuming the first time (cleaning...all the way to the end) but then once you are using my Mom's "secret" it will help KEEP it clean with little or no work!!

1. You MUST BEGIN with a CLEAN SINK!! So, use a scouring powder (Comet, Cameo, Ajax, etc.) and some elbow grease to clean the entire thing. Even the edges (if you have a buildup around the lip of the sink, you can clean it using one of our pan scrapers- but DON'T take out the silicone seal that lays under the edge of the sink!!) Then, be sure to RINSE it completely and then DRY IT COMPLETELY.

2. You are now going to "wax/seal" your sink! The product I use is called "Gel-Gloss- One Step Cleaner and Polish" and it is a white LIQUID that looks like liquid car wax. The spray on stuff or pre-soaked towelettes are NOT THE SAME!! You may have to look at a hardware store for this...I have not seen it in Lowe's/WalMart/Home Depot.

Anyhow, using a clean soft cloth, apply the liquid sparingly all over the sink- don't forget the faucet and handle!! Then, let it DRY to a hazy finish. Now, take a different clean soft cloth and BUFF IT LIKE MAD!! :eek: This will take some elbow grease, :yuck: but it is worth it!

3. Once your sink is clean, just dry it out after each use! You will notice that the water will actually BEAD UP in the sink! Just like with a newly waxed car! Even with HARD WATER that normally would leave spots all over...if you use this stuff and then dry out your sink/faucet handle...you will not get those spots!

You only need to apply this stuff and buff about once a month or so. When it doesn't seem so shiny anymore, just re-apply!

In between "waxes" if my sink looks kindof dirty, I use the Cameo POWDER (available at WalMart for about $1) and there is something in that that is similar to the Gel-Gloss. It will buff up to a nice shine using the Cameo, too. But NOTHING I have tried works like this Gel Gloss. It will make a dirty old stainless sink look shiny and nice!

HTH!!

I fly as well:thumbup:

Flying alsoI have been flying for a while now, got me through a house fire and a tree struck by lightning. Oh and don't worry about procrastination, you can do anything for fifteen minutes! :balloon:

Lynda

Geekgirl69 said:
I have been flying for a while now, got me through a house fire and a tree struck by lightning. Oh and don't worry about procrastination, you can do anything for fifteen minutes! :balloon:

Lynda

I am learing that!

It's amazing to me how a 35 year old responds to SETTING A TIMER! It's great! It focuses me...and gives me permission to STOP after 15 minutes and come back to continue later. I think just having that permission to stop has changed my attitude!

Two things actually...that you should learn... permission to stop and permission to have fun. One of the first things I saw when I found this site was how everybody uses the "we're pampered chefs not perfect chefs" line. That is what you have to remember in flying as well. It's not about doing something perfectly, it's just about doing something.

I am fluttering - not quite flying. The idea is great. I too did get overwhelmed by the volume of e-mail, so I stopped subscribing. I do have my routines though.

Her Christmas stuff is great. She starts you off fairly early, but boy, just a few minutes each day, and you can actually relax on Dec. 24!

I do find the time limit to be helpful as well , esp when doling out chores to my hubby. "I just need your help for 15 minutes" definately gets a better response than "You have to help me clean the house" or "I have a to do list for you."

P.S. This is also a great plug to mention the PC Timer!

I remembered where I saw the article on the FLY lady. It was an AOL news item last week. The headline was something like...this lady has turned nagging into a multi million dollar business. It caught my attention because I nag and wished I knew how to make money doing it :p

laurie
i use to clean houses and if you want an easy way to shine up a sink use
fantasic with bleach, let it sit for a bit and rinse
i then used comet, rinse and dry
then windex to really make it shine :)

but if you always dry out your sinks and tubs there will be no water spots
the microfiber towels work great for this
i use the dishcloths all the time for cleaning

And for those who've mentioned being overwhelmed by the emails - I have my email program set up to "filter" the emails - the testimonials go into one folder, the challenges into another folder, the reminders into yet another, etc. Most of the time, I only read the challenges and missions. If I have a few minutes or I feel the need to be inspired, I'll read some testimonials. Every once in a while, I delete them all, just so I'm not covered in them.Works like a charm!

KellyTheChef said:
I just signed up to be a FLY baby on Friday night... (flylady.net)

Anyone else do this?

I have GOT to get my house/business/exercising/devotional time/etc. together!:yuck: :yuck:

Anyone else like me? Not pay bills just cuz they don't want to spend HOURS going through and balancing the checkbook and finding all of the bills, etc? :eek: The $$$ can be sitting in the account, but I can STILL pay bills late because of my silly procratination!:blushing:

Speaking of FLYing...I am going to finish my dishes so I can SHINE MY SINK!!

TTFN!

Kelly,
I have not read this entire thread but I wanted to share a tip that has helped me with getting my bills done on time. I use Outlook as my calendar for all my comitments. You can set up monthly appointments and reminders to pop up. I sat down one day and figured out when I needed to have all my bills paid and put them on the callendar with the reminders to pop up a few days before I need to mail them. I also do alot of online banking and Balance my checkbook online before doing my bills. It still takes me about an hr once a month but I feel much more organized!

Now do not ask me about the rest of my house or the mile high pile of papers that I call my desk! LOL.... I have been to the flylady site but it still takes a dedication. Maybee I will check it out again.

Flylady Marla is a lifesaver... I have been FLYING for years, and I'm still not perfect. However, it has made my life so much better. The first time I ever read her CHAOS theory (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) it spoke to me! Getting rid of clutter is really freeing and opens up your life!

I love Flylady but don't feel like I'm "flying"...it's more like fluttering for awhile then crashing! Flutter, crash, flutter crash. The story of my life!!!

It's been awhile since I've been Flying, but I think it's time to start again.

missydivine said:
It's been awhile since I've been Flying, but I think it's time to start again.

It's been a while for me too. Not that I was really flying before. More like fluttering. I really have to get into the 15 minutes thing.

I have been taking FLYING lessons for 6 months...thanks to fellow cheffers on here who recommended her to me while I was venting about housework! I ended up buying her book and have thoroughly cleaned up my act--no pun intended!;)

Marla needs to FLY her website, though, because it is extremely cluttered and disorganized! That is why I went out and bought the book which is so much easier to follow. I have since recommended FLYING to my sister and several friends who are now implementing her principles as well.

I love going to bed with a clean kitchen and sink!
Who else is working on the August habit--doing a load of laundry every day???

I convinced myself that the load of laundry a day didn't apply to me, that I don't do that much laundry. And maybe I don't quite have seven loads a week, but I could certainly run a bit smaller loads, which I'm sure is better for my washer and my clothes.Same with the shoes - I sit at my computer with my feet curled up under me. If I had a pair of lace-up shoes for the house... and if I knew when I wore them that it was time to work... I wouldn't get so comfortable here in front of the keyboard, and I'd get more PC work AND housework done.I really think her system works if I follow it 100%. It's just like 3-2-1: it's a proven method for success if I just do it.And Kimberly, I agree. She needs to declutter the web site. And for the record, I *hate* the phrase "purple puddles." :D

I'm a FlyBaby too! Well, was a flybaby... Haven't flow in a few months and boy oh boy is the clutter taking over again. I changed the emails to the once a day condensed version. But I do feel guilty for deleting them without reading them...
Time to put the wings back on:blushing:

TwinGirlsMom said:
I have been taking FLYING lessons for 6 months...thanks to fellow cheffers on here who recommended her to me while I was venting about housework! I ended up buying her book and have thoroughly cleaned up my act--no pun intended!;)

Marla needs to FLY her website, though, because it is extremely cluttered and disorganized! That is why I went out and bought the book which is so much easier to follow. I have since recommended FLYING to my sister and several friends who are now implementing her principles as well.

I love going to bed with a clean kitchen and sink!
Who else is working on the August habit--doing a load of laundry every day???

I have only looked at her website, and am thinking I don't really want to get back to the point where it takes me 3 days to clean and organize my house, so I may have to start. I LOVE the idea of a load a day... I am one of the people that doesn't do any for 3 weeks, then does 4 loads a day for 3 days! I NEED to get better at controlling it! On that note, off to do a load right now. :D

GourmetGirl said:
I am one of the people that doesn't do any for 3 weeks, then does 4 loads a day for 3 days! I NEED to get better at controlling it! On that note, off to do a load right now. :D

Once the decluttering takes hold... that gets easier. I can only get up to about four big loads of laundry before we start running out of stuff... and overall that's better, because we can't just keep wearing stuff until we've got a mountain of dirty laundry... and since people wear something like 20% of their wardrobes 80% of the time, just getting rid of 80% helps a lot.

I am a huge packrat - but I *love* decluttering. It is such a liberating feeling!

My mom turned me on to Flylady a few years ago. I wished I had know about her when my kids were small. I agree though that the emails can be overwhelming, but the concepts are awesome. The website is packed with all kinds of information. I like breaking the house in to zones to get the cleaning done. I also bought a micro shredder to help me stay on top of the junk mail. I go through the mail and my 13 year old likes to put it through the shredder for me, so that really helped eliminate clutter in my kitchen. Now I have more room for Pampered Chef!!!! :)

I never heard of the site till I read this thread... I signed up:)

I used to be a Fly person. And I stopped. And it shows. When I was flying, my biz was going better too- I don't think that was a coincidence. I blamed the pregnancy for 9 months, and the baby for the last 11... its time to get back to flying lessons I think...

Don't feel bad.... my child is my excuse for not cleaning like I should.... I do try.... she just thinks she needs all my attention all the time.

KellyTheChef said:
Anyone else like me? Not pay bills just cuz they don't want to spend HOURS going through and balancing the checkbook and finding all of the bills, etc? The $$$ can be sitting in the account, but I can STILL pay bills late because of my silly procratination!

Kelly, are you writing about me??? :p I've never heard of FLYlady, but I will definitely have to check her out!!

abrahamlaur said:
I have stainless steel sinks too and I've found that SOS pads work like a charm!!

PChefPEI said:
Kelly, are you writing about me??? :p I've never heard of FLYlady, but I will definitely have to check her out!!

I have stainless steel sinks too and I've found that SOS pads work like a charm!!

I am glad someone else does the same thing! It's something I probably would never admit to my family, but online...:blushing: Just glad I am not alone! That is CERTAINLY something that I want to stop!!

BTW- SOS pads DO work really well...my Gel Gloss is just one step further once it's clean to help it STAY clean and clear of water spots!

KellyTheChef said:
I am glad someone else does the same thing! It's something I probably would never admit to my family, but online...

Yes, I do love these sites for that. You can pour your heart out!! ;)

I just read all the positive things that can come from the Flylady from all of you and went to her site, I think I too am going to learn how to fly!

Stampaholic1961 said:
I love Flylady but don't feel like I'm "flying"...it's more like fluttering for awhile then crashing! Flutter, crash, flutter crash. The story of my life!!!

I love this description... sounds like what I'm going to be when I start flying! And since my 8yo decided that my favorite animal is a butterfly... kinda fits!

Carissidy said:
I just read all the positive things that can come from the Flylady from all of you and went to her site, I think I too am going to learn how to fly!

Me too...wanna fly together?

I don't know what flylady is but it sounds like I need something like that.
Is it Jilleysue?
Right now I just check this site briefly in the a.m. for Paige updates before I get ready for work.
I really have to limit my time here because I go to school 2 nights a week right after work.

Wow! There's a lot of info there. Great site!!!

(Hope I'm not high-jacking here............) :eek:
Has anyone heard of the "Change Your Life Challenge"? I purchased the program about 2 years ago and am still working on it! :blushing: The FlyLady looks very similar to it. Just curious! :)

PChefPEI said:
Wow! There's a lot of info there. Great site!!!

(Hope I'm not high-jacking here............) :eek:
Has anyone heard of the "Change Your Life Challenge"? I purchased the program about 2 years ago and am still working on it! :blushing: The FlyLady looks very similar to it. Just curious! :)

I haven't heard of it but am intrigued! Do tell more...

Marie-France~ I have never heard of that either, is it similar to the Fly Lady?

It is very similar, from what I have seen so far. It's a 70-day challenge to help you organize different parts of your life.

These are the categories that she touches on:
Finances, Clutter Control, Relationships, Organization, Time with Children, Self-Care, Diet, Fitness, Self-Esteem, Friendships, Attitude, Time, Management, Chore and Reward Systems, Paper Management, Household Cleaning, Meal Planning.

I really like it. I just haven't done anything with it for a while!! Gotta get back at it.

Check out the site - :: The Change Your Life Challenge: 70 Day Life Makeover Program for Women

PChefPEI said:
It is very similar, from what I have seen so far. It's a 70-day challenge to help you organize different parts of your life.

These are the categories that she touches on:
Finances, Clutter Control, Relationships, Organization, Time with Children, Self-Care, Diet, Fitness, Self-Esteem, Friendships, Attitude, Time, Management, Chore and Reward Systems, Paper Management, Household Cleaning, Meal Planning.

I really like it. I just haven't done anything with it for a while!! Gotta get back at it.

Check out the site - :: The Change Your Life Challenge: 70 Day Life Makeover Program for Women

HMM...that sounds interesting...I think I'll look into that!

GeorgiaPeach said:

Not sure if it's cool to quote yourself or not :p ...but just had to add this. I took the kids to Office Depot tonight to get the binders for these student control journals. Came home and put them together and presented them to the kids after dinner. I was explaining the 27 Fling Boogie to my son. (If you don't know what that is....you take a trash bag and throw away 27 things in the room-candy wrappers, coke cans, etc. Then you take another bag and throw in 27 things that you don't use that can go to Goodwill. It's a way to declutter a room.) My son's eyes got real big and he said, "I have to do that EVERY day!" I'm sure he was picturing himself in two weeks sitting on his bed holding just his pillow with NOTHING left in the room! :eek:

If you have school age children, I really encourage you to check this out. It's under the Back to School section on the FLYlady's website. Everyone I've told about this or shown...has gone crazy over it.

<h2>What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Join the Flylady Community and Get Organized with FLY Baby Tips! (47 characters) I just signed up to be a FLY baby on Friday night... (flylady.net) </h2><p>1. What is the Flylady Community and how can it help me get organized?2. How do I sign up to become a FLY baby?3. What are FLY Baby Tips and how do they work?4. Can I join the Flylady Community anytime or is there a specific time to sign up?5. Are there any costs associated with joining the Flylady Community and using FLY Baby Tips?</p><h2>Anyone else do this?</h2><p>This question is not specific enough to provide an answer. Please specify what "this" refers to.</p><h2>Anyone else like me? Not pay bills just cuz they don't want to spend HOURS going through and balancing the checkbook and finding all of the bills, etc? :o The $$$ can be sitting in the account, but I can STILL pay bills late because of my silly procratination!:blushing: </h2><p>You are not alone! Many people struggle with procrastination when it comes to paying bills. It can be overwhelming and time-consuming, but it's important to stay on top of your finances to avoid late fees and other consequences. The Flylady Community can provide tips and support to help you stay organized and on top of your bills. </p><h2>Speaking of FLYing...I am going to finish my dishes so I can SHINE MY SINK!! TTFN!</h2><p>Great job on taking action to shine your sink! The Flylady Community encourages small, consistent actions to keep your home and life organized. By starting with something as simple as shining your sink, you are setting yourself up for success in other areas as well. Keep up the good work! </p>

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Join the Flylady Community and Get Organized with FLY Baby Tips! (47 characters) I just signed up to be a FLY baby on Friday night... (flylady.net)

1. What is the Flylady Community and how can it help me get organized?2. How do I sign up to become a FLY baby?3. What are FLY Baby Tips and how do they work?4. Can I join the Flylady Community anytime or is there a specific time to sign up?5. Are there any costs associated with joining the Flylady Community and using FLY Baby Tips?

Anyone else do this?

This question is not specific enough to provide an answer. Please specify what "this" refers to.

Anyone else like me? Not pay bills just cuz they don't want to spend HOURS going through and balancing the checkbook and finding all of the bills, etc? :o The $$$ can be sitting in the account, but I can STILL pay bills late because of my silly procratination!:blushing:

You are not alone! Many people struggle with procrastination when it comes to paying bills. It can be overwhelming and time-consuming, but it's important to stay on top of your finances to avoid late fees and other consequences. The Flylady Community can provide tips and support to help you stay organized and on top of your bills.

Speaking of FLYing...I am going to finish my dishes so I can SHINE MY SINK!! TTFN!

Great job on taking action to shine your sink! The Flylady Community encourages small, consistent actions to keep your home and life organized. By starting with something as simple as shining your sink, you are setting yourself up for success in other areas as well. Keep up the good work!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefZee
Replies
Views
genburk
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef